Isaac
Years ago

Tigers to sign Knight and maybe Smith?

Building a big frontcourt and keeping their all-Aussie line-up, the Tigers are set to bring in Julian Khazzouh and Ben Knight as replacements for David Barlow (Europe) and Chris Anstey (injured).

Both would be signed and ready for the Tigers tip-off.

One would need to be released once Anstey had returned to fitness and the team line-up.

(Mod: Topic title updated.)

Topic #20974 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

The Tigers must be sitting on coffers of Aztec Gold to afford this team.

Reply #248980 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Oh for a salary cap with teeth...

Reply #248981 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Some good talent there! How they can afford them both under the salary cap is beyond me.

If I was Daniel Johnson I wouldn't be feeling any love right now...

Reply #248985 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Dammit, Tigers just keep splashing the cash! Don't see how they could be under the points or salary cap with these signings.

Can someone who knows how the NBL ratings system run the numbers?

Anstey (best big in the league - presume is a 10)
Wortho (led Dragons to championship + Boomer - 10)
Mackinnon (not the player he was - ?)
Kendall (has been in Boomers team - ?)
Khazzouh (top notch rebounder - ?)
Knight (not player he was but was top notch big - )
Greer
Crosswell
Corletto
Johnson
O'Hea
Bathie

Reply #248992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Guys, these two come in place of Anstey and Barlow who were both rated 10 and both would've cost a reasonable amount of money.

Also, remember that we're talking about Ben Knight who was largely ignored as a potential signing all off-season and wasn't dominant for Perth.

I'd rather them sign these two than many other players - means they're pretty light in their guard ranks. Doesn't quite look like a championship team to me until Anstey gets back.

Reply #248993 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You guys have to remember that as Isaac said they are coming in place of Barlow & Anstey and then one will have to be cut upon Ansteys return.

So yes if all these players counted on the books they would be over, but as they aren't I think they're ok.

Reply #248995 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

good to see Benny Knight getting picked up! Did ok with the cats last year. He would be a 7-8 in points?

Reply #249002 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The player points are on nbl.com.au - salary cap.
They look under.
Wortho Kazoh = 10
Knight Kendal Mckinnon =8, Greer Croswell Corleto=7
etc.

Reply #249003 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd be asking the questions re the Breakers roster / salary cap than Melbourne's. As mentioned above they have repalced Bralow & Anstey with one to be released on Anstey's return - no big deal.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on NZ?

Reply #249006 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Okay, did a bit of a tally going by last years numbers. Points cap is 70.

Tigers
Anstey 10
Wortho 10
Khazzouh 10
Knight 8
Mackinnon 8
Kendall 8
Crosswell 7
Corletto 7
Greer 7
Johnson 1 (or does he go up?)
O'Hea 1 (don't know if has college/ AIS xp)
Bathie 1 (don't know if has college/ AIS xp)

Total: 68

Looks like they're ok, given that it will be Anstey OR Khazzouh/ Knight

Breakers
Penney 10
Bruton 10
Rickert 10
Storey 9 (Don't know, could be a 10?)
Forman 8
Boucher 7
Ronaldson 6
Henare 5
Webster 1
Pledger 1
Trueman 1

Total: 68

Will be okay, so long as Storey isn't a 10 and none of Webster, Pledger or Trueman have a couple of years college or AIS experience?

Reply #249010 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Pledger was playing College ball

Reply #249013 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pledger and Webster are development players. Storey is a 10 (new imports are always a 10). Breakers would be 67 points.

These teams wouldn't be getting put together if they weren't under the cap. No need for calculations unless you're speculating about changes or signings.

Reply #249014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, Khazzouh has signed in Israel, has he been released from that contract? If so, why?

Reply #249016 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As for the Tigers salary cap - they dont have any imports (yet) and they also have an ownership group who dont want to lose $500K again this year.

Reply #249017 | Report this post

forro  
Years ago

khazzouh is gun player one of my favourite australia players im pretty sure he has signed a contract in israel.

Reply #249018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, not sure - just going by Eade's report on Gaze.com.au.

Reply #249021 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Great to see Khazzouh back in the league! Just unfortunate that it's for the Tigers. I almost shat myself when I saw Knight, thought you were talking Matty Knight.

Reply #249022 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bean you got 12 down there for the Tigers only 10 count for points cap anyways.

As mentioned out Barlow and Anstey in Khazzouh and Knight - seems fine with me.

Wouldn't be surprised if Anstey dosn't play at all this season...

Reply #249029 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks DJ, still very much learning about the rules around NBL rosters. Struggling for enough room in my noggin with all the arcane NBA stuff bouncing around in there I reckon!

Reply #249032 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw Julian Khazzouh and Ben Knight - Just for a second there I thought it was Julius and Mat.

Reply #249034 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

everyone can tally points and salaries as much as they want, but we all know the tigers are exempt from any sort of caps.

Reply #249037 | Report this post

Nathb  
Years ago

Khazzouh has pulled the pin apparently. Tigers are now chasing Donta Smith.

Reply #249040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That'll teach me for buying anything Eade says. Seems to have reported it as a little bit more factual as it actually was. Perhaps "I think they're looking at Khazzouh" was extrapolated into "Signed!!1!!"

Daniel, what about "Breaking Rumour" instead of "Breaking News" in these situations?

Reply #249041 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Eade is an Ediot :P

Reply #249042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed with 2^^^

he plays it as though he's on the inside and has breakng 'news' but ends up embarrasing himself and the GAZE.COM.AU website.

I wonder what Drewey thinks?

Reply #249047 | Report this post

Suga  
Years ago

My badd.

But I was told Khazzouh, and not just by one person.

I can't give names as to who told me, but Melbourne believed as of Wednesday morning that Khazzouh would be on the team.

I wouldn't have said it unless it was verified by people in the know.

And no, Drewy doesn't care because I spoke to him throughout the process and he knows who told me, plus after speaking to him today, he knows why it didn't happen so it's all good at headquarters.

Reply #249050 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

For Anstey to slot back in once out of injury waivure, wouldn't he have to be contracted to the team already. If so, doesn't his points immediately count towards the cap?

Reply #249051 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, he can be put on injury waivers. And Khazzouh is still on an Israeli roster afaik, so I dont who was spreading rumours about him being signed.

The Tigers have been looking at Donta Smith for a while now, but pretty sure theyll have to wait until sometime November unless Smith is willing to take a serious pay cut and give up hope of an NBA contract for this year.

Reply #249056 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, you can contract more but just the active players are going to count against the cap. e.g., Perth can have Sam Harris around as training bait and back-up if they want. Adelaide can do the same with Tom Garlepp.

Reply #249057 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I was just thinking, could this get like the old NBA injury reserve list were you have a player like Garlepp who is tearing up training and a player like Cooper struggling in games, then Cooper will have a pretend injury at training and they put him on injury waiver and bring in Garlepp

Reply #249064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure, but I think there is a rule that says that any short-term replacements have to be U23s. Otherwise, you have to put the injured player on waivers for a minimum of four games or weeks or whatever it is.

Reply #249070 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

They should look at isiah victor

Reply #249075 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He has signed in Israel

Reply #249078 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

Interesting how popular the israeli league is. they must handout some nice contracts

Reply #249079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey when you get propped up with tens of Billions in funding from the US every year there's bound to be a little loose change floating around.

Reply #249096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754