Tru Blue Emcee
Years ago

Dallas looking to offload Jawai

Source: http://linky.com.au/xms2o

(not sure how to do the quote thingy, my bad)

"The Dallas Mavericks are shopping Australian big man Nathan Jawai around the league, in hopes they can conjure up a two-for-one trade as they desperately attempt to cut their roster back to a league maximum 15 players, by the time the pre-season training begins on September 28th.

The Mavericks are set to acquire forward, James Singleton, who will bring the teams roster to 17 players, making Dallas eager to unload a pair of contracts as soon as possible.

ESPN's Marc Stein reported first that sources within the Mavericks had confirmed that Jawai along with small forward Shawne Williams are available for trade.

Set to earn $736,420 this upcoming season, Jawai may also be the easiest player to waive, as he is the only player on the roster, besides off-season recruit Tim Thomas, to be earning less than $1,000,000 for 2009-10.

Jawai played six games as a rookie last season with the Toronto Raptors and logged only 19 minutes all season, which got off to a shaky start when he was forced to sit out the first month with a heart condition.

Drafted by the Indiana Pacers in the 2008 draft, Jawai was traded to Toronto in the Jermaine O'Neal trade soon after. Jawai was then traded to Dallas along with Shawn Marion this off-season.

Maybe Jawai was never in their plans anyway. "

Any Thoughts?

Topic #21006 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buckner has just been waived, and Tim thomas has injured his knee in a pickup game..

so things are looking better for Jawai

Reply #249583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still not good signs, just dones not seem like he is going to make it work. Mills is getting looked at this week or next i think i read somewhere.

Reply #249584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this just shows how good Bogut is as the only NBA-secured Aussie.

And further justifies how hard it is to stay in the league.

Not a Bogut fan but he's the best Aussie baller in history.

Reply #249588 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

And perhaps proves that the best way for an Aussie to get to the NBA is via College?

The 2 longest serving Aussies, both big men, Longley & Bogut, were highly rated NCAA players.

Reply #249593 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

Bogut is the best and totally underused by his Milwaukee team the guy could be 20-10 with more than 5 shots a game. Looking at you Michael Redd....

Reply #249596 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze is by far and away the best Aussie baller in history.

At the end of his career Bogut may reach the echelon, but his performances on the world stage have been WAAAAAYYYYYYY short of Gaze's.

Reply #249597 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its been pretty difficult for Jawai from the moment he was drafted, because he is clearly a long term project as an NBA player and none of the teams that have held his rights so far has been interested in investing the time in him.

It must be a real downer bouncing from team to team with no-one showing any love. He needs a good agent to find him a team that is willing to spend the time on him. I just hope it happens soon and that this stuff doesn't mess with his confidence and enthusiasm for playing basketball.

Reply #249598 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Guys, bit of a pointless argument as to whether Gaze or Bogut is the best Aussie baller in history. They are two totally different players, so you can't compare them that way.

A better way to look at it is that Gaze is clearly the most decorated player Australia has produced, primarily because of his exploits at intl and NBL level, but also because he continues to be an excellent ambassador for the sport.

But Bogut is deserving of a huge amount of respect too, because he has blazed a trail for Aussies over in the US by showing that we can produce players who not only compete, but can be dominant! On top of that, the publicity for Australian basketballers that he brought by going #1 overall has been immense.

He has gone on to be a solid pro, is one of the better centres in the NBA (behind Yao, Howard & Jefferson for sure, but not many others I'd take ahead of him) and still has room to improve if he can stay healthy in future.

Reply #249599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown, Bogut's never been dominant in the NBA and a lot of fans in the US still consider him a bust, rightly or wrongly. He's not even close to Gaze level or ever will be. He's one of the better centre's because of the current standard of centre's in the NBA and I hope you mistakenly left out Shaq. Even at age 37 Shaq destroys Bogut and if you dont believe me go and have a look at what he did to Bogut last season in their two meetings. 29 & 11 + 35 & 8 I believe and have a look at Bogut's numbers while there.

Bogut AND Andersen are the only NBA-secured aussies.

Reply #249601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO todays NBA is weaker than in GazeĀ“s time. More teams.
I do not think Bogut has had a great start to his NBA career. I would like to see him get traded and get a new start.
To compare him to Gaze is a joke. Kids grew up wanting to be like Gaze. No one aspires to be a slow center who can not play D.
Gaze is a legend, Bogut has money.

Reply #249603 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The reason kids wanted to be like Gaze was due to the popularity of basketball when Gaze was in his prime. Basketball was killing it. It was the hottest ticket getting around. The league was marketed and promoted and Gaze benefitted greatly from this (and rightly so) and was the face of the league.

In todays time, basketball is a minority sport with little promotion and marketing in Australia, this includes the NBL and NBA. If Bogut was around in the early 1990's then I think you'd find Bogut would be just a popular, if not more popular than Gaze due to his NBA status.

Reply #249608 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

How did this turn into a Gaze v Bogut discussion?

Paul, if you want to post the 'Gaze is the best argument', find other threads dedicated to the subject.

However, Bogut has been solid, bodering on excellent at times, but thisc past season lost alot of momentum with the injuries.

Jawai's performances in the summer league by reports were disappointing, with one reporter stating that he would struggle in the NCAA!

Reply #249612 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Beantown your comments about Jawai are spot on. Saves me writing it.

He can play - but no love!!

Reply #249614 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

shin splints, I was simply responding to a previous comment. Hope I didnt offend your sensitivities.

Reply #249618 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, 99% of your argument is a waste of my time. The point I was arguing was that you can't compare whether Gaze or Bogut is the best basketballer in Aussie history. They are totally different players with different skillsets and facing different challenges.

Gaze was an amazing international player and had a great NBL career, but he never had the athleticism or strength to have a successful, long term NBA career like Bogut.

Bogut is the first guy Australia ever produced that is capable of matching up with NBA quality players on a nightly basis. He can rebound, defend, pass and score like no other Aussie big man to this day. Most of the time he is a solid NBA starter and has had many big games against top players, eg:

20 pts 14 reb 3 blo >65% FG v Duncan 35% FG, 6 reb
20 pts 9 reb v Boston's front line
18 pts 12 reb v Biedrins

Thats just in 33 games last year. Lots of other good games in previous years. Yeah, he had trouble with hall of fame bound Shaq last year, but you try defending the basket against Shaq AND Stoudemire when you're sidekick is a combo of Elson, Gadzuric & Mbah a Moute!

Oh yeah, and as well as being the 2nd international player to be drafted #1, he was also good enough to win in 2004-05:
Consensus National Player of the Year
Wooden Award
Naismith Award
Associated Press First Team All-American
ESPN.com Player of the Year
Sports Illustrated Player of the Year

They are massive achievements by anyone, let alone an Aussie so I can't see why you think he 'isn't even close to Gaze's level' as a basketball player. Do you want to take bets on how long it will take for another Aussie to come along that is good enough to win all those awards?!?!

I just think it would be a lot smarter to show both Gaze AND Bogut some respect for being exceptional, but very different basketball players facing different challenges in their careers.

p.s. - TR, I agree with your point too.

Reply #249621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we talk who's better "relative" to their respective position. Bogut is no question better than Gaze. Also mind you today's Boomers coach is not Mr Bogut Sr.

There's a reason why some stay in the NBA and some don't. Recent Jawaii and Mills case just shows how hard it is. Gaze was great internationally but that doesn't equate to been a better player.

eg. Gaze played more international games than MJ, so what does that mean? mmm

in response to the Bogut simply have more money comment. well you get paid in accordance to what service you offer.

I have great respect for a player like him to go #1 pick. It is insulting to say he's not even close to a guy who can't even stay in the NBA let alone been a proper starter. from memory Gaze never started one NBA game.

Reply #249626 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai is not in a good position at the moment for sure. Not sure which team he would be best suited to though.

Reply #249643 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"eg. Gaze played more international games than MJ, so what does that mean? mmm"

Anon, that's because America did not send pros for the first 8 years of MJ's career.

Reply #249653 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Back on the Topic of Jawaii - maybe a trade to a young rebuilding team such as Minnesota?
Backup behind Big Al and Love?

Or perhaps Washington - Not great depth at the big spots...

Ditto for Atlanta...Behind Horford, Pachulia, Smith and Smith...

Even a team like the Thunder, rebuilding around young guys, and a raw big man to the mix and in 3-5 years they could be strong.

Any others? I think there would be a lot of good situations out there if he were given the chance...

Reply #249663 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would not mind him at The Bulls. Learn from Brad Miller.

Reply #249664 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just anyone who'll give him a chance to play!

Reply #249668 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

"Jawai is not in a good position at the moment for sure."

I'd hardly say that a guaranteed $736,420 is not a good position! If he is smart he will be able to set himself up for life with his two years of NBA salary. But I suppose it is all about perspective - from a basketball / playing perspective he doesn't appear to be in a great spot.

Reply #249682 | Report this post

M00$E  
Years ago

Let's be honest.....Jawai isn't that good.

Yes, he's a big unit, with a big upside, but he just isn't NBA calibre at the moment.

Other than a good NBL rookie season with Cairns, what has he actually physicaly done on the court to make anyone think he's NBA ready?

I still can't believe some of the junk he was throwing at the hoop in that series against NZ and that was against big's who aren't even on the international radar!

(Btw, anyone who thinks big Nate's post game in the NZ series was anything other than ordinary at best is kidding themselves.)

Let's not let the fact that he is Australian blur the fact that his ability does not warrant an NBA roster spot.

Maybe he should go to Europe for a couple of years and develop his game and then try the NBA.

Other big guys in the past have headed to Europe for a few years and returned to the NBA better players for it. Marc Jackson & Ike Austin (before he got his big contract and became fat & lazy) come to mind and I'm sure there are quite a few more.

It couldn't hurt.

Reply #249689 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Even to the Rockets or Bucks as backups to our other Aussies!!!

Reply #249694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't matter US didn't send players off, Kobe won't have played as many intl game anyway. so Gaze better than Kobe, get real

Reply #249701 | Report this post

Corey J M  
Years ago

Jawai certainly performed at the Stankovic Cup. Give him time, he is only young and wouldn't have even been considered as an NBA talent if not for the talent scouts who followed him around Oz for a year.

So in saying that they must have seen something in him to be picked up in the draft.

Think of the millions who play in the US and don't get drafted each year. He is already a winner.

Reply #249702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jawai didn't play in the Stankovic cup.

Reply #249704 | Report this post

Corey J M  
Years ago

Was it the pre tourny? The weeks prior he was scoring in the 20's, or was that against the Kiwi's?

Reply #249707 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He had some good scoring numbers against NZ but the team performed poorly and he copped a bit of criticism for the way he played. I actually wonder if it's all gone to his head a bit - if so, really risks going from team to team and not meeting his full potential. Just speculating though.

Reply #249708 | Report this post

Corey J M  
Years ago

Hopefully he can make the grade.

I think AJ Ogilvy is the next star of Australian bball.

Reply #249711 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He could play in some teams off the bench but needs a big man coach who can give him training time and a player to learn from like Zach Randolph with Rasheed Wallace. He would be best served though following David Andersen and brad millers roads via Europe. Probably get as well paid, court time with same quality players as NBA. If he was to continue the NBA path after being waived he would have to be on crack. Mills should also head to Europe. Won't turn any heads getting 1 minute a game

Reply #249787 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai needs court time and in the NBA he just isn't going to get any in the short to medium term. I too think his best bet may well lie in europe at this point in time. But as he has a contract, he will likely stay in the US for the up-coming season and migrate between his team and the D-League.

Reply #249799 | Report this post

MiniFISHER  
Years ago

FWIW I think that Gaze is Australia's best ever basketballer. For reasons stipulated already - international record, most decorated. I wish he had of got more of a chance when he was younger to play in the show. Always a role for highly skilled sharp shooters and his passing was great too. The other thing with Gaze was that he probably connected with a lot of people here. He almost looked as far away from a professional basketballer as you can get and the average Joe took heart - if he can make it then I'll give it a go too. I know I certainly took heart from it and ended up playing state ( A while ago now - I'm 32 ) as a 6'3" non-athletic bloke who learn't to make the best of what he had. Him and he fish we're the inspiration........ Getting to Jawai this is exactly why I want him to succeed. He'd be an inspiration to a lot of people... Another generation.... Patty Mills even more so, I'm confident he'll make it though and quite possibly end up as one of Australia's greatest ever basketballer when his career is done

Reply #250020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754