Flinders80
Years ago

Marketing of the Upcoming Season

Hi All

When is the NBL/Sixers going to start advertising the start of the season. They are improved on advertising across the net but that only advertises to people that are basketball orientated. How about getting some ads on Free to Air so that people out side of the basketball world know that a new season is upon us.

Not trying to have a gripe as the web advertising is a better than previous years.

Am I the only person that thinks we should be hearing about the start of season soon? if so then fair enough.

Topic #21019 | Report this topic

quasi  
Years ago

I've heard ads for the 6ers on the radio a couple of times in the past week or two. Don't know about tv though, haven't seen anything.

Reply #249737 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

SEN Radio in Melbourne has Andrew Gaze on the morning breakfast show once a week to talk all things basketball, and they now have a 2-hour basketball show from 7pm on Sunday nights as well each week.
Thje NBL has been getting a good mention. But as to anywhere else, very little I'm afraid.

Reply #249739 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw a 36ers ad in the Messenger this week.

Reply #249740 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

when/what time is Gaze on the SEN breakfast show?

Reply #249742 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Flinders80 I had the same thoughts just the other day. If you arent basketball orientated you wouldnt even know the season was about to start. And even if you are basketball orientated you may not know.

Reply #249744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well, I didn't know when the Super 14 season was starting this year (and I quite like rugby) and I didn’t know the A-League season had started until 4 weeks in.

Reply #249746 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think I saw something mentioned in the Millicent Times

Reply #249747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't know the A-League season had started until the day of the first game, and only then because a friend mentioned he was going to the game rather than coming to drinks. I think it's just reality of second (or third) tier sport.

Reply #249748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Maher & KB's internet TV show Inside The Game has been keeping basketball in the public conciousness (to a degree). The interviews with living legends of the NBL have been good to hear (except the Cal Bruton interview last week).

I also caught the arse end of an ad on Fox Sports last night featuring James Harvey & Adam Gibson but wasn't sure if it was an NBL ad or one for the Blaze.

Reply #249751 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Inside the Game is a great effort, but not sure of their mainstream penetration. I think newspaper, TV or drive-time radio are the ones that would ideally need to be hit if money were no issue.

Reply #249754 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Anon, why was the Cal Bruton interview no good?

Reply #249759 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Radio ads are on and about the place, as are some local paper stuff - I'm sure they haven't forgotten about TV.

Reply #249771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2, It was Cal all yelling & carrying on. Never been a fan of the guy he just always rubs me up the wrong way and I still shudder anytime I remember his commentary stints on Fox Sports with Carfino. Plus his mobile dropped out halfway through the interview but after kicking around for a bit they eventually managed to get him back on.

Reply #249780 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sixers on radio fiveaa every Tuesday 6-6.30pm
(Ballinger and the like) is good mainstream penetration ( about 100,000 listeners)

Reply #249802 | Report this post

AndyOG  
Years ago

Perhaps the NBL and the 36ers are using subliminal messages to promote the upcoming season such as splicing seconds of willie farley dunks into childrens movies ala Tyler Durden in Fight Club, if you haven't seen that move, no joke go get it! ... but seriously, I have noticed that since the A-league season began that Adelaide United have been running advertisements in The Advertiser on the Confidential pages of one of their many star soccer players, immersed within the articles on the pages, kicking a ball across the two pages. It looks distracting, but hey the advertising works. To me, that is an innovative way to market their brand, i think the sixers could use some lateral thinking when it comes to promoting the sixers in the print media and on television and radio.

Reply #249830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"when/what time is Gaze on the SEN breakfast show?"

Tuesday mornings, 7.30-9am Eastern.

Reply #249832 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Some of the 6ers will be making an appearance at Tea Tree Plaza between 12 and 2pm on Sunday 20th September

Reply #249838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/6076161/low-key-build-up-for-new-nbl-season/

Reply #249871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whate bever happened to the part of the reform which required each club to contrubute to an annual marketing fund?

That had the potential to be one of the biggest elements of the reform, yet it must've been forgotten.

Reply #249887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What ever happened to the part of the reform which required each club to contrubute to an annual marketing fund?

That had the potential to be one of the biggest elements of the reform, yet it must've been forgotten.

Reply #249888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reform isn't happening until next season.

Reply #249890 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say that the NBL/BA are just hibernating their way through this season. Only really 2-3 staff on the NBL books (Sengstock, Harmison, Howard?) and not all working f/t anyway.

Fair chance that they are conserving funds (if they have any) and effort for a stronger run next off-season. Well, we can hope.

Reply #249923 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are more people contributing to the NBL in BA offices, but you are right, they are not doing so full-time.

I dont think people should be holding out for 'reform', it is a gradual rebuilding that is happening mostly behind the scenes.

I dont think there will be a massive budget to promote the league next year either - the focus is on making clubs sustainable financially, and getting them aout amongst the grassroots/schools.

Once those fundamentals are right (and the economy is on the mend), that's when more expansive promotion can start to take place.

Reply #249931 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

6ers Facebook page advises that they shot a TVC today, should be on tele soon.

Reply #249978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754