U18G???

Reply #250060 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Woodville.

Reply #250061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well Done Norwood under 18 Boys, even thought Sturt had stacked there team with the so called best shooter in the age group and the best centeres guess Norwood showed team work won out in the end. PS i am not even a Norwood supporter but this was sweet!

Reply #250072 | Report this post

Vesta 62  
Years ago

250072, Yes, almost as sweet as a State Championship and a Classics medal. Get off the Haterade mate.

Reply #250074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overall sturt had a disappointing weekend

Reply #250080 | Report this post

Stipid girl!  
Years ago

Yeah and a big thanks to that "Sturt lady" who proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs from 1/2 time onwards every time Norwood was in offence.

I was sitting on the opposite side of the stadium to you and I can say that supporters from all sides of the stadium gave a cheer when Norwood got over your "darlings". I am sure YOU single handedly helped Norwood's resolve yesterday afternoon.

With a bit of luck (for your family)you have no voice today.

Shame, shame, shame.

Reply #250083 | Report this post

Vesta 62  
Years ago

Too many haters, get over yourselves!

Reply #250084 | Report this post

Stipid girl!  
Years ago

Why, was it you?

Reply #250086 | Report this post

Stipid girl!  
Years ago

Why, was it you?

Reply #250087 | Report this post

Vesta 62  
Years ago

No, it wasn't but you are criticising someone for cheering too loudly for your liking. That isn't a crime. She isn't derogatory or nasty, the complete opposite in fact, just very loud. There is nothing wrong with that.

Reply #250092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know about the "Sturt Lady" influencing the outcome, all I would like to say is congratulations to the Norwood 18B1 coach Peter Berry who achieved a remarkable result with this group of players after setbacks early and later in the season. Full marks to Peter (and the players of course) for their belief and resolve which won them the ultimate prize.

Reply #250095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the Death Star crashed as Sturt hardly won a thing.

Reply #250099 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Man I don't mis this sh1t.

Reply #250100 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

Actually Sturt and Forestville both won 9 premierships. However Sturt were in 20 grand finals to Forestville's 15 so that can be viewed either way.

Reply #250103 | Report this post

Stipid girl!  
Years ago

Vesta, I don't have a problem with anyone cheering but this women was wailing non stop, not cheering, not "yaying" her team on to victory", no "come on blue boys" not applauding a good play, but freekin wailing like a siren directly court side on the end the Norwood team had offence. She wasn't doing it in the 1st half.

If you were there and didn't have a problem with it then you were barracking for Sturt because all she was attempting to do was trying to put the Norwood kids off when they had the offence.

You can make me out to be some kind of grump if you want, no problemo, but dont try coming on here and saying the lady was "cheering too loudly" because she wasn't cheering at all. When spectators around me (and we were seated on the OPPOSITE side of the stadium with people cheering all around us at a game on the middle court) started commenting on this stupid women...who was old enough to know better... then there was obviously something wrong with what she was doing.

Next time she would do her team more of a service by cheering them on, not cheering the other team off.

I hope she feels like a tool, because thats what she sounded like.

Reply #250114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What annoys me with these threads is we take one persons actions and say that typifies the way the club acts.

To counter that hats off to the Sturt U10 Div 2 boys coach on Saturday. I was supporting the opposition, North Adelaide, and the game was close and went to overtime. Near the very end of fulltime North had foul shots to tie the score. The Sturt bench starting stamping and yelling - the coach turned around and made them stop.

These little things we too often gloss over. Well done to the coach, to the Sturt team and also the North team which played an awesome game.

Reply #250120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea she would not shut up I had a headache from her and watched the 16s game like 100m away

Reply #250131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel sorry for the Sturt mums who sat next to her. It was bad enough on the other court, can't imagine how annoying it was sitting beside her.

Reply #250135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, it was ear piercing, I thought someone had hurt themselves and was in pain.

Reply #250138 | Report this post

tm  
Years ago

Yes, I heard this woman at a Sturt vs South game a few weeks ago. Embarrassing to say the least..wonder why nobody in her team has said anything.
The "woohoo" woman from Norwood U16's girl team is nearly as bad.
Just as well they will never be on opposing benches!!!
Poor kids.

Reply #250141 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

This womans name wasn't Colleen was it ?

Reply #250172 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

I wasn't at this game, but I know who you are talking about.....this woman is a disgrace....I first came across her when I went out to watch SA metro at Gawler earlier in the year...I actually went and watched another game at the other end of the stadium at half time, I was embarrassed and she actually gave me a headache...not bad from what is normally a loud game anyway...i think that maybe she is a few sandwiches short of a picnic, cos NO sane person acts like that!

Reply #250179 | Report this post

Mima  
Years ago

If being in the most Grand Finals, winning the equal most grand Finals and equal most Div 1/2 junior grand finals is hardly dissapointing or crashing.

How did your club do?

Total Div 1/2
Sturt 9 - 9 and 5 - 7
Forestville 9 - 7 and 5 - 3
Norwood 3 - 3 and 1 - 2.
North 2 - 5 and 0 - 1
Southern 0 - 4 and 0 - 0
South 2- -0 and 0 - 0
West 2 - 2 and 1 - 1
Woodville 3 - 2 and 2 - 0
Eastern 1 - 2 and 1 - 1
Centrals 0 - 0 and 0 - 0

Reply #250195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mima it's all relative.

Sturt with their profile, resources, coaches, recruited players, recruited coaches and recent results would in fact be very disappointed with the results of the weekend. In particular the performance of their Division 1 teams during the Finals.

Reply #250216 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

Not at all Anon. Results all round were solid, they can't always be spectacular. The big titles are won in May and June not September and October. Our results are always better in May than September as that's how we gear our program.

Reply #250226 | Report this post

Stipid girl!  
Years ago

Thanks for the support on the human siren guys. Her friends would have everyone think that she was simply "cheering on her team"

Reply #250241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabre,

Every one has a different opinion as to what is the most important. Classics yes but personally I think winning in September is much more of an achievement than State Champs. But everyone has their opinion on that!!

Reply #250246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have overated coaches. There are some very good ones there, but many who ride on the fact that the teams they are given each year are very talented and deep to start with. When you see age groups travel through summer thrashing everybody and then slowly travel backwards over the winter, begs one to wonder.

Reply #250248 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

250246, I agree that everyone has their own opinion on which is more important. But while the State Champion Club is given out in May not September, we will place more importance on the middle of the year and start building for next May/June after that. If BSA change this, I am sure we will change our approach. The fact that we have won 15 of the past 21 State Champion Club titles is a testament to the hard work of our players, our excellent coaches and management.

250248, again it's a matter of timing. If a coach gets his/her team to peak in May/June they have done the best possible job. I can't think of one coach who didn't do that for us this year. In September the focus is already on next year. You beg to wonder that's why.

Reply #250253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabre,

Does Sturt start training in different groups post the state champs or classics? I'm not exactly sure what preparing for next year entails nor do I fully appreciate a kids as young as 11 or 12 peaking and then their performance dropping off. I would have thought that at those type of ages playing basketball is a continual improvement process and not a process of peaking and declining.

Obviously you do something right - I just don't understand it that's all!

Reply #250269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was there and when I was in the ladies and the HUMAN Siren I paniced and thought it was an evacuation alarm. Not at first but when it went on for ages and ages I thought it must be a siren and rushed in the bathroom afraid I would get caught with my pants down literally. This was no normal cheering if it can penetrate right into the ladies as if it was over an intercome. It is only her child I feel sorry for. Life playing for Sturt must be tough enough without a parent like that. Best of luck mate...you are going to need it.

Reply #250271 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

Yes, that's right. We have major breaks over Christmas and after State Champs/Classics. It is impossible to be "up" the whole year.

In 3rd term we devote one training a week to next year's groups. Also heavy emphasis on long term development, eg individual skills (and weights for the older players) as opposed to more competitive (short term) work leading into major championships and finals.

Yes improvement should be continuous but how hard you go and what you do has implications to your performance in the short term. Managing this allows you to peak at the right time regardless of age. Hope this answers your question.

Reply #250275 | Report this post

Flames Out  
Years ago

Sturt may have over-rated coaches but at least they have them...Norwood cant buy a coach lately they are leaving in droves must be all the support they get from the coaching director lol!! With this seasons results for Norwood I would be starting to wonder.. Maybe mainstreaming doesnt work? just because you played in div 1 in under 10s you shouldnt just keep staying there. No development - good on you Sturt and Forrestville taking a look at your squads and working with them to get results. Norwood need to take a look at themselves EVEN Magic are looking better!!

Reply #250284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Norwood is alone Flames Out. I know players who have left their current club to go to Norwood for better training - maybe they may live to regret that decision!!

Reply #250287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabre, IMO you are full of it. If the premiership isn't the pinnacle of a competition then the competition is flawed and a waste of time.
Sturt over the years have had outstanding talent in the girls at 12 and 14 level that dwindles thru 16 and 18's. The boys remain trend setters however.

Good coaches , some, as in all clubs but sturt enjoy a cosy, huggy, huggy connection with sasi that gives them a leg up and some of their players get a free ride.

BUT,The structure that sturt have with a non district youngsters comp in place is the model for success and the one that BSA is trying to force (encourage)all district clubs to start operating.

Norwood on the other hand also have the players, in excess of needs, if rumours are correct but don't have the coaches and their lack of success rests with few wanting to work under Mr P. Norwood seem focussed on ABL not junior success.

The classics are an overrated, expensive exercise in showcasing a few at the expense of the many and like the easter carnival are more reasons why basketball is stagnant. Lastly, this new summer season that means kids play forever is further evidence that administrators are not listening. Give kids a break from basketball not more of it. Junior basketball is controlled and works on fear factor mentality thus parents cannot say no to summer for fear that millie or billy will drop a division. When will administrators start to put the health and welfare of kids ahead of bottom lines because 45 weeks of basketball a year is way too much. More is less.

Reply #250292 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

Anon 250292,

No need to get personal, play the ball not the man. I am merely expressing our philosophy, as I was asked a question.

State Champs are the most important, followed by Classics, winter season, summer season in that order. You obviously disagree that's fine. When the State Champion Club is handed out in September we will gear our program towards peaking in September not May.

Reply #250294 | Report this post

hydra11  
Years ago

Flames Out = disgruntled parent.

Which Norwood coaches are leaving in droves? The U16Girls coach has apparently gone, but she was hardly a Norwood coach to begin with, as she only stayed there one year I think?

Actually looking at Norwood's Div 1 coaches, I would say they stack up pretty favourably with other clubs.

Reply #250314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sabre, anyone who saw the behaviour of some of your Division 1 coaches during the finals series would refute your claims that Sturt don't care about September Finals.

Reply #250360 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

anon,

Have you even bothered to read the posts. Explaining that age groups are changed for 1 training each week in term 3 explains that Sturt is more interested in developing for State Champs the following year. Do you think that the coaches will then try lose? Or not care about winning? Thats just dumb.

Sturt lost 3 Grand Finals by a point. Had we NOT trained our groups outside of age for term 3, some of those results may have changed.

Would we go back and train just to win those end of year Grand Finals at the expense of next years State Champs? Absolutely not. Until the rules and focus changes

No one is saying it is unimportant. But rather that State Champs is more important for Sturt.

Again, our thinking is that we will be more prepared for next years State Champs and as such will cycle through to a more dominant position in May next year, and less domionant position in September.

Not saying you need to agree with it as a philosophy, but I personally find it great that other clubs straegically dont plan for success, than complain that Sturt Champion Club wins every year.

Reply #250368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL who complains? Fact is only one club is obsessed with the supposed prestige of winning the club trophy. Other clubs just don't think like that.

Win all the Club trophies you want.

Interesting that with all this extra focus Sturt still only managed a 3rd placing for the Girls award, losing out to two clubs who focus on player and team development for the basketball calendar year, not the Sturt calendar year.

What went wrong on the girls side then?

If your teams were prepared to be at their peak for State Championships then they certainly failed then as they did this month.

Also what about your Under 14 teams? Surely the boys have been focused on being at their peak for this week right? For the National Club Championships and not at State Championships which were pretty insignificant for the individual teams, as your girls team learnt the hard way.

Continue your brainwashing program, those of use who know something about the game aren't falling for it.

Reply #250374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - I'd say you're complaining!

Reply #250378 | Report this post

Flames Out  
Years ago

Hydra11=head in the sand. All the U16 girls Norwood coaches have left all divisions. U12 Boys div 1 coach left, U16 boys coaches have left... if they are going to Norwood for better training they had better think again as most of the coaches are parents that are conned in to it because they take too many kids without having enough coaches. Parents that get no support or training and left to borrow books from the library to get by. Coaching director has too much to do without doing much except for the minority not the masses. Proof is in the finals and who made them. Norwood didnt!

Reply #250386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a sturt parent I would like to know when that information about peaking in May was announced. Sounds like crap to me. I would only believe it if Paul or Scott published it. So lets get this straight. We play a 20 round season just for fun not too worried about the final.

Sturt junior teams blitz at a young age because they have huge numbers. Its only logical they will be strong. They slowly come back to the pack as the years go by, and the coaches realise the game is alot harder than running a full court zone every week. And chopping changing kids who dont perform, with out having to develop individuals.

You know when NG retires, and that cant be far away, he will be replaced with a non sturt person and you will see a massive shift in culture in our junior competition.

Reply #250393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't sound much like a Sturt parent at all! You'd have to better than that to effectively troll I'd expect.

Reply #250396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm confused now. Do Sturt do things differently for the U14 group going to the nationals or do they now peak for them. If they do things differently for them to allow them to peak at the end of the season it doesn't seem to have a detrimental impact on their U16's.

If they can peak again for the U14 nationals without impacting their U16's then why can't they do the same for the other age groups.

Reply #250411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes we do. 14s don't get a break. They just keep on going. Most of the 16s have nationals in July. 18s had nationals just before State Champs and need a longer break. Instead of sniping go ask one of our great coaches. You don't have to agree with it but you may understand why we do what we do.

Reply #250415 | Report this post

hydra11  
Years ago

FlamesOut - which Under 16 Boys coaches have left? Carlo has been out of the junior program 12 months already, so I assume you don't mean him.

Norwood do have some very experienced coaches in Pritchard, Schroeder and Berry, all with State experience, and one of them has just coached a team to a championship. Their problem is perhaps depth, as I agree that once they get to the lower divisions it seems to be mostly parents. I hardly think that is unique to Norwood though.

It seems you have a personal issue with SP, so you make stuff up to suit your agenda.

Reply #250431 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

250411, it is difficult as any player or parent who has been through an Under 14 Nationals will know. You need to peak in May to qualify (not this year but that's a whole other story) and then stay "up" until September. It does impact upon Under 16s next year, and the bottom age 16 group usually starts poorly as a result. This year's boys group finished 7th in the first season but won the State Champs.

Reply #250433 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

anon 393,

If you were a sturt parent you would know Sturt dont run a full court zone. But rather man to man run and jump in the full court.

Nice try but lying gets you know where. I laugh in your general direction.

Reply #250445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames out, you appear very bitter towards Norwood.U12 coach leaving? Are you talking about the one three years ago who almost left the whole sport because of one aggressive, over opinionated parent. Hey, didn't that parent take his favourite child to sturt?

Reply #250467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL why would a parent know the difference between a full court zone and man to man run and jump in the full court?

All a parent sees is the D up the court jumping/trapping and causing turnovers and not learning anything.

Reply #250521 | Report this post

Jamaal Truth  
Years ago

Keyboard warriors, ten hut! Stand to attention!

John, you really need to take a step back and relax. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and you are entitled to feel aggrieved due to your experiences at Norwood. But to hijack a thread about finals and turn it into a tirade against Norwood in general is very amateurish and juvenile. It does you no favours. Work through your issues in your own time, and let the finals discussion continue.

...and that's the truth.

Reply #250571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754