old and gray
Years ago

only one div 1 & one div 2 team @ all Jnr clubs ?

So - how is the new junior season looking ?

With only 10 teams in each div 1 and div 2 grade being accepted for the friday night competitions , and the 10 major clubs g'teed only one spot in each, how will those clubs who had mega numbers in u12s and u14s Div 1 and 2, cope with the expectation of parents ?

I understand that least one club had 60+ new and "old" u14s turn up to their "trials" , ( and probably at least 10 of those had their parents expecting their darlin' offspring to be selected as THE gun starting 5 guard in div 1 in the next season !!) . It looks like many of those will be playing div 3 or even lower.

good thing ? - bad thing ? - won't happen ?

Topic #21043 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like it should be a healthy thing, plenty of numbers, someone at some point has to miss out, if it happens to be your child (not your child as in you Grumpy) then live with it.

Problem with parents and sport is they try and live it thru their kids and then the shit starts...

People expect things because they do the ground work and often the case they are merely putting people off side..

Reply #250058 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The real problem is with SOME Div 1 coaches who think that they are Gods and can dictate to the whole club who should be where.

They believe:-

- coaches shouldn't coach their own children
- new players to the club must go up through the lower divisions
- coaches shouldn't coach the same grade too long
- in Div 1, it is ok for a player to only get 2 minutes a game because they will develop on the bench
- a Div 1 coach can speak to anybody at the club, parents and players how ever they like
- yelling at a young girl and making them cry is cool
- the club only exists to support Div 1

The above rules exist only where a Div 1 coach think it should apply. I think that some people forget that junior district basketball is ALL about the kids and not about the coach. Until that gets sorted, it doesn't really matter what rules are introduced to try and make an even playing field in junior sport.

That's my 2 cents worth!!!

Reply #250075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, for once, stop your narrow minded rants about over-ambitious parents and overinflated coaches, and take a look at the bigger picture!

This is a big change to the junior competition: only a single div1 and div2 team per club and lower divisions to be accommodated in a domestic competition organised by the clubs themselves.

Will this be to the detriment of junior basketball?
Will we lose div3 and lower entirely?
Or will it boost basketball as the cost to play domestic will be lower and travel distances less?
Is BSA is shooting themselves in the foot because it won't have any revenues from a domestic competition?

The strong clubs would need to take charge and collaborate in organising a very domestic competition. I haven't seen much collaboration between clubs yet. The atmosphere would need to change to get this going.

Reply #250077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought there was a transition phase and that the 10 team rule for Div 2's only affected U12's this season and then older groups later.

I would like to think that this is a change for the better but it will only be so if all clubs work at making it a success.

Reply #250078 | Report this post

the oracle  
Years ago

if people are dedicated to the game - div 3 will just get better.

if people got out of the negative mindset of div 3 being below them and just played - it's reputation will improve and they will wear the badge with pride.

the good will rise regardless of what grade they are in.

99% of the time the kids only reflect what goes on around the dining table at home and in the car to and from the game.

Reply #250122 | Report this post

the oracle  
Years ago

the one team only per member club only starts with u12 and 18s this year - is that correct ?

magic won u12 div 2 - back to div 3 or off to west and woodville? - where they should be anyway.

Reply #250123 | Report this post

Your comp is screwed, when will people wake up and realise that the better players will go to where they can get better coaching. Why not make your weaker clubs fight to be on the top division; it would make them lift their standards!

You don't improve sport by pandering to the lower echelons.

Reply #250124 | Report this post

Local  
Years ago

Mexican do you have any idea what the competition in Adelaide is like?

The system is built for the stronger clubs to poach and hoard all the best basketballers they can get their hands on.

Shame for them it didn't work too well. Under 18 Boys and Under 16 Girls for example are competitions where one club in particular has recruited and poached the best talent it could.

One team lost a Grand Final to a supposedly lesser coaches, lesser skilled team, while the other didn't even make the Grand Final.

Your right Mexican, our system is flawed but only because the clubs with the best Propaganda can poach the best talent.

Reply #250134 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

yet local, of all the states over many years, yours (SA) has probably produced the best numbers of national and international level players. SA has a remarkable record given its base.

Reply #250140 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Maybe having only one div 1 and 2 team per club will be a positive move. Some of the kids who expect to play div 1 or 2 but don't make those teams, may go to a weaker club to achieve their personal goal and make that club stronger.

HOWEVER, the talk of limiting clubs to div 1and 2 teams only has no positives that I can see.
Clubs need lower division teams to give them strength of nos and finances.
You also have to consider the players themselves. It is difficult enough for a lot of kids to cope with being dropped, let alone being told that they have to hand in their singlet and go to a social club to play where they may not know anyone.
Modeling our system on other states that have 3 to 4 times our population will not work.

Reply #250142 | Report this post

DAD  
Years ago

Unbelievable, I am agreeing with Victorians.

You are stupid to think restricting the strong Clubs will strengthen the sport....just a pathetic mind set!
Lets tell every kid in a school class that you cannot learn any more, you have to wait until Billy catches up, but that wont happen, because he doesnt do any homework or study. Anyway, we have to stop, because he will get behind. Poor Billy!!

Wake up people

Reply #250155 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Hmm - not a lot on topic is there ? - coaches coaching their own children ?? - pretty clear that just like any lawyer who represents themselves, clearly has a total fool for a client, its not a real good idea to coach your own children - particularly at a young age. The kids are often not able to understand that being disciplined at the court is not the same as being disciplined at home. at least when a coach gets displeased with them they have a "safe" home to go back to, when its the parent/coach who has criticised them-- well life at home is no different then life on the court is it ? Just here can they go to ? - which is why Lindsay never coached Andrew in the Melbourne juniors.

anyway - back on topic - is it only in the 12s ??, I understood that there were to be no duplicated club teams in u14 div 2 next season - probably have that wrong - anyone confirm ?

Reply #250159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I understand it.

Ten teams maximum in Under 12 Div 1 and Div 2

Under 14s and up 12 teams max in Div 2.

As with this season the 10 'member' clubs get first right to those spots. In Under 12s IF there's a free spot in Div 2 it goes to the best of the best, either a 2nd team from a member club or a Magic or Torrens Valley team.

Same rules apply to 11th and 12th spots in Under 14s - Under 18s Div 2.

Reply #250164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate to ruin it for you but Lindsay did coach Andrew as a junior, not just his team but all day everyday. I know cause I saw it with my own eyes. Along with andrew he also created an entire team of NBL standard Australian born players the same age. eg. Purchase, Dimatina, Gordan, ..... The others who missed out probably played in the VFL they were that good.

But any way back to topic.

Reply #250186 | Report this post

tm  
Years ago

Using U16 girls as an example..if, after the 10 member club's nominate their Div 2's, how does BSA then decide which Club can then field a second Div 2 team?. What if 4 Clubs ie Sturt, F/Ville, Norwood and North wish to enter an extra team but here is only 2 spots on offer, who gets priority?

Reply #250234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rock, paper scissors????

Reply #250238 | Report this post

Local,

Poaching happens everywhere and it's hard to poach from a club that looks after its players. We had a boy poached from us in under 14s who went on to play state. We didn't have a good enough coach for his age group to get him there, so no hard feelings, he made a good choice. We had a girl poached from us who came back a year later because the grass wasn't greener and promises were broken.

My club had to lift its game to stop other clubs poaching and it's been win-win. Our teams are better and we've kept our players.

Making vc is a huge honour in Vic, imagine if we started giving away spots for free!

Where's the honour in SA bball? Even if good players leave the good coaching they were getting at the stronger clubs to take up a div one spot at a weaker club, who benefits? Not the player, sure they'll be playing div one but will they get the coaching they were getting before?

How honourable for the weaker clubs, picking up players not because they're seeking better coaching, but so they get to play against better teams! What a crude way to even out a competition.

Reply #250258 | Report this post

Local  
Years ago

Again you don't understand the system. Adelaide is not Victoria.

Good coaching is not the problem here. The problem is that one club has an uneven balance of power due to many many factors but superior coaching across the board is not one of them.

In the girls that balance of power is less effective and therefore we have 3 clubs now vying for championships. Much healthier than the current state of play on the boys side. In Under 16s two of the top three teams boast more than 5 players from other clubs. The third is not far behind. Do you really not see that as an issue?

The girls side of the competition is now fought between three clubs due to the structure of basketball in Adelaide. Are you saying that's healthy?

VJBL is not all it's claiming to be. The quality of your competition week in week out has drastically dropped since expanding to two pools and 20 teams. Your best teams don't even face each other until the final in a lot of cases. I'm glad we don't have a model like that one.

Mexican, Adelaide junior basketball is so different from any other state I'm sorry to say that you simply can't understand the issues here until you're part of the system.

There are many many issues with our structure but I do not believe we have the ability to apply a Victorian type model to basketball here.

Reply #250277 | Report this post

Callisto 76  
Years ago

Local, I don't have the time to drive a Mack truck through the gaping holes in your arguments one by one, so I won't.

You did get one thing right and that SA junior basketball is so different from everywhere else. That's precisely the problem it's basically the same competition structure from the 1980s. These proposed changes take it further back in time to the 1960s. In economic terms they are moving further away from the "free market" Victorian model, which is clearly the best in the country if not the world.

The Knox area has one of the highest densities of basketballers in the world. Have you seen some of the players coming out of there, it's scary! We could be like that.

But no we move back in time instead of moving forward. The irony is that these changes will hurt the chances of struggling clubs to improve their fortunes as it gives them more incentive to do nothing.

Reply #250285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Callisto 76 Knox has an 8 court stadium & lots of other courts within close distance (within 5-10mins drive)which means you are able to physically put more bodies on courts over a greater length of a 24 hr period from the one area.
Where in Adelaide are we able to provide the same court space to provide the same numbers through.
We dont so we will have to spread it out across the metropolitan area and have smaller groups which have less court space available over a 24 hr period within any given week which means you have by default a weaker competition with smaller numbers.
People lose interest if it is a diluted competition and will not grow because it wont have the court capibilities to grow.
So to keep comparing us to Melbourne is like comparing apples to oranges.

Reply #250303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754