Astor
Years ago

Predictions - 09/10 WNBL

The 09/10 season starts in two weeks; who does everyone like for the title?

I think that it will really be a 3 team race between Canberra, Bulleen and Sydney. Adelaide might be the dark horse, but I just don't think they'll be able to run with the others until Hammonds is fit, which could be a long way into the season. All the rest of the teams don't stand a chance.

The starting lineups for Boomers, Caps and Flames are all looking formidable:
CANBERRA:
1. Hurst
2. Bibby
3. Abrams
4. Bishop
5. Beatty

SYDNEY:
1. Butler
2. Smith
3. Afeaki
4. Porter
5. Batkovic

BULLEEN:
1. Milner
2. Glaubitz
3. O'Hea
4. Penaluna
5. Cambage

This season may come down to which team has the greatest depth on the bench.
Canberra has a dominant talls rotation, with Bishop Tolo and Beatty able to swap roles effectively throughout the game. I don't think they have as much depth in the guard position. Sure, they've got Hurst and Bibby as the dynamic guard pair, but if one of them is injured they would be hard pressed to find a decent replacement; Perera and Jansen won't be able to get the ball to Canberra's bigs and their offence will tumble.

Bulleen has always struggled to find a backup for Milner, but their 2/3 man rotation is extremely solid, with Reid, Pardon, Zavecs and Jarry all fighting for a spot. They will miss Hammonds and Carr, and will be reliant on Penaluna and Cambage to not lose their heads in games. That being said, they have put together probably the strongest coaching panel in the competition. As the season goes on we will see if so many strong basketball personalities can properly work together without any creative difficulties, and if the clubs gamble to ditch Cheryl Chambers will pay off.

Sydney has got a huge training squad of 16 on their website, so it'll be super competitive to even get a spot in the twelve from week to week. Their rotations in the 3/4 spot are solid, with Afeaki, Porter, Potoki, Barnes, Lewis, Dombkins AND Manou all fighting for a spot. They will struggle when Batkovic is not on the court in the 5 spot, but the same is the case for most teams and their dominant center. They also have a point guard dilemma as Butler is not a true point guard, but they seem to have recently cut both Lorenzini and another potential PG from their training squad, so they might be looking towards letting Smith and Butler bear the load.

Thoughts or comments? Have I missed anything, got anything wrong here?

Topic #21054 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Canberra will struggle this year.

Bishop is out until Christmas after shoulder surgery.

Beatty has a significant foot injury. She'll be playing but it will be on 1 leg and she can't practice.

The Caps also lost Mussellwhite this season to pregnancy.

Hard to go past Sydney this season with the addition of Batkovic, Smith and Butler plus the import, Manou

Reply #250290 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Canberra "struggles" every year, until the administration drags out the chequebook , and now that the super coach can offer the "prestige" of playing for the main opals selector, I doubt that they will do badly. there will be some surprise arrival at some stage in the season.

Reply #250342 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

O&G.. I've heard that special player may have a beard.

Reply #250345 | Report this post

nothing  
Years ago

Whats happened to Carr? Did Bulleen cut her or did she leave?

Reply #250402 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

From what I hear around Nunawading SEABL folk she seriously needed a break from basketball. It can be tough to back up SEABL, WNBL, SEABL, WNBL etc for a few years in a row... mentally and physically taxing. Definately wasn't cut, it was a personal decision. Im sure Bulleen will miss her as a backup to Penaluna or Cambage; though it is entertaining to see Crosswhite come on and work her magic.
Next time you see her on the court, have a look! She is THE maestro of aggravating an opponent into an offensive foul on the post.

Reply #250421 | Report this post

washing machine  
Years ago

Lightning have 9 games in the first month.

That is out of 22 matches.

With all the injury, the season is riding on the fit girls in a 1 month stretch.

OMG

Reply #250464 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754