XztatiK
Years ago

First import to be dumped

I remember we had this thread last year and it ended up being pretty accurate. Who do you guys think will be released first?

Here's my list from most to least likely to be dumped:

1. M.Joiner
2. D.Gruber
3. A.Storey
4. K.Lisch
5. A.Ubaka
6. C.Groves
7. R.Roberts
8. S.Mills
9. R.Melzer
10. J.Gilchrist
11. T.McKee
12. R.Rickert
13. C.Williams

Statman says Joiner is looking a little podgy and the Blaze have 3 capable Aussies/Kiwis who can play a similar role. Dave Gruber is an ok role-player as long as he'd not getting import money. Storey's pre-season has been underwhelming for a former NBA-er. Ubaka needs to show he can play SG and his teammate James Harvey needs to show he can play SF. Gilchrist, McKee, Rickert and Homicide all looking very safe based on early form.

Topic #21082 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

Groves up higher.

Dude is a waste of an import spot. Tyndale and Grizzard are at worst equal to him, and if they got cut, then I expect him to get cut as well.

Reply #250448 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Was this thread created just to stir me up???

Reply #250449 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ha - love it TR :)

Ill be able to give an update after Friday night on the 2 GC imports. I believe Ubaka has really been showing some good signs but I still cant see how Joiner fits in the team. Petrie and Vukona were our big off season pickups and then we grab an import to do exactly the same job. At this stage it doesnt make sense to me but Im sure Joey has something interesting in mind.

AS for the list, If Lisch isnt a gun at Perth then they will need to move pretty quickly as they seem a bit light on in the back court so Id have him at #2.

Reply #250451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$$$ will mean no imports will be cut this year

Reply #250452 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol TR, I moved Gruber up the order a bit for you. I'd actually have him about 4th.

Reply #250462 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Joiner was last...

Reply #250468 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

If Larry Abney was in the league, i'd pick him right about now.

Reply #250471 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

gruber isnt getting dumped. hes got amazing work ethic and hes very cheap

Reply #250476 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would be suprised if the Adelaide boys got dumped. Gilly is pretty fit

"You could grate cheese on his abs" was wot I 'eard

Cortez will not disappoint - that's my kiss of death and you can quote me on that when we are on our knees and looking for a scapegoat

BTW - What the?? on facebook, "people you might know" one Julius Hodge popped up

Reply #250478 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I agree, Joiner will be the first to go, unless the Blaze got him at a bargain basement price.

Reply #250479 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Skip Mills. Aba guard at best. Only reason it wont happen is for the same reason as Gruber. Economical & Taipans cant afford replacements. Seems a shame to bring out a PG when Kerry Williams could have played 40 mins a game & stepped up.

Reply #250483 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Storey isn't expected to come out and dazzle, he's expected to contribute. NZ doesn't need another star, just some rebounds and agression in the paint and a block here and there.

Reply #250487 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon's point about finances is a good one. I don't think this is the season to chop and change out of a desperate run at the championship. Couple of teams might feel the pressure and make a move, but doubt we'll see anything like Goorjian's three-imports-in-a-season record.

Reply #250490 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Skip Mills has performed very well in Europe. Would be surprised if he cant at least be a solid contributor in the NBL.

Gruber wont go - he's there as a solid back up and will certainly provide that.

Ubaka has talent but hasnt shown it yet at the pro level, but he doesnt need to be a star with Harvey and Gibson next to him, and Goulding and Demos providing back-up.

Joiner is there to play defence on Mackinnon, Cattalini, Redhage, Saville etc rebound and hit open shots, and is not expected to be a star. He would be my favourite to go first though, especially if Pero Cameron has a slow start to the year (he looked in great shape when I saw him though).

Lisch is another one who could be under the pump, but if Weigh continues to develop as a scorer then Lisch will only be required to be a role player who plays tough, relentless D, which it sounds like he can.

Storey has been a slow starter, but as pointed out, he isn't expected to be a star, and the Breakers would know from his history that he probably wont be a big time scorer.

Rolan Roberts is one player who could be under the gun if he keeps being foul prone. The Crocs need their imports to be stars for them to make the playoffs, as they don’t have the same level of local talent as most clubs.

I think most teams are going to be very competitive though, and that along with tight budgets will mean very few import changes this year.

Reply #250504 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is the prediction post folks...

A few people including X man and myself got it right.

Reply #251751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754