Kobe :S

messed up list

Reply #250607 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Agree with most except:
1) Stockton should replace Isiah
2) Shaq should be switched with Duncan
3) Lebron needs to win a championship or another few MVP's before he makes my list and even then he will be in the bottom half. Based on your qualifying criteria Wade should make it in before Lebron.

Why is this a "spoiler"?

Reply #250609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to win a championship to be on the list i would have thought, after all isnt that what its all about?

Therefore Barkley shouldnt be on there.

Or Lebron....yet.

Reply #250612 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

great thread - no-one will agree on this one

1 Jordan
2 Magic
3 O'Neal
4 Kobe
5 Bird
6 Kareem
7 Pippen
8 LeBron
9 Duncan
10 Dr J (yes I'm that old)

Isn't it amazing that most of the top 10 would be recognized by anyone in the media just saying their first name: Michael, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, Kareem...

Reply #250615 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No room for KG? Barkley was a freakish player who massively over-achieved, but his teams didn't win a title. Great player, but he couldn't control the game defensively like KG does. I'd swap KG in for Barkely at #8 or #9 (perhaps moving Isaiah up one).

Would probably switch Shaq and Duncan as well, but pretty close between those two.

Tough one with Lebron, because you're right, he has incredible physical gifts that allow him to dominate games like few others and he constantly drags teams of average players deep into the playoffs. But I also agree that the fact he has not won a championship yet and the fact that the story of his career is still largely to be told should drop him down the list.

As much as I don't like Kobe for his off-court behaviour and attitude over the years, he does now have 4 titles and was clearly the main guy on the last one. I think I'd pretty much swap Kobe in your list with Lebron.

Good list though, can't fault it too much.

Reply #250618 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

DJRod can not believe you ommit Olajuwon from your list - surely you can put him above Duncan? and even easier over LBJ - sure over time LBJ will earn his spot in the top 10 but already?

Reply #250623 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Kobe
4. K Malone
5. Moses Malone
6. Shaq
7. LBJ
8. J Kidd
9. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
10. Kevin McHale

Reply #250624 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I like your list LA Boy but a big call leaving Bird out over McHale

Reply #250629 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

1. Jordan
2. Bird
3. Olajuwon
4. Magic
5. Kareem (went to his last game)
6. K.Malone
7. Shaq
8. Duncan
9. Dr.J

10. Bernard King
10. Barkley
10. Garnett
10. Stockton
10. Dominique Wilkins
10. Isiah Thomas
10. Kevin McHale
10. LeBron

There's way too many greats to be able to separate them in order! But I'm happy with the order of my top 5.

Reply #250632 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

1 MJ
2 Shaq
3 Magic
4 Bird
5 Kobe
6 Olajuwon
7 Kareem
8 Stockton
9 Wade
10 Malone

Reply #250634 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Lethal5

I think you should throw Patrick Ewing into your list.

Reply #250638 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Give Barkley a break, after all it was only a certain Mike J and the Chicago Bulls that pissed on his parade for a championship ring. Hakeem the dream was sick in his prime as was Clyde Drexler.
Pippen was solid as hell, dam ugly, but solid.
Kobe and Lebron qualify for the list as they are freaks of nature that have that "Mike" like quality. Wade is bad as and I'm def a fan but I'm not sure if he's as good as those two. Duncan is a future hall of famer for sure. Shaq was absolutely unstoppable apart from freethrows and who cares, he broke hoops and backboards.

Reply #250640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kicknike, stop spamming and go away.

Reply #250641 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Jake- I know it's a strong word, but I HATE Bird. McHale's some of the most solid big fella of all time. BTW my order's pretty wrong, I'd put Kareem at 3 etc.

Reply #250642 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

Ya know I dig what Hakeem did but never liked his game - same as Ewing, Thomas and K Malone!

LOVED Dominique and Barkley but not in the top 10...

My wife says Mike Bibby should be in!

I know people who love Moses Malone but I only remember him in his latter years. David Robinson was close.

I looked at my selection as people who dominated in their prime... Kobe & LeBron now MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, O'Neal, Dr J - Pippen had 6 rings yo! Duncan has 4.

Reply #250648 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I remember seeing Mike Bibby back in the days working out in Arizona. he's a big time player, he use to come in and make 200 3-pters from the NBA 3, then take himself 2 steps out and make another 300!

once he was playing against a young Barbosa and this kid who was the son of a former NBA player and Shareef Abdul-Rahim; Bibby absolutely tore it up! he was seriously shooting from half a step behind the half court line and swishing them!

Reply #250655 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This is tough. There are other players that I'd put in this list if I was older. The 'Big O', Oscar Robertson would slot in position 3. Wilt would slot into position 2. Bill Russell at 4. Jerry West would fill up a lower position.

My lifetime:

1: MJ
2: Magic
3: Bird
4: Shaq
5: Moses Malone
6: Kareem
7: Olajuwon
8: Kobe
9: Karl Malone
10: Pippen

I'd love to fit Drexler into the list. I really liked his Blazer team, plus he gave me someone to like instead of being another jock-riding MJ fanboy.

Reply #250657 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

TR spot on about the Drexler call

Reply #250658 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here's a different angle...top 10 players I liked to watch - and not necessarily the best players...

1. Michael Jordan
2. Dominique Wilkens
3. Shaquille O'Neill
4. Shawn Kemp
5. Clyde Drexler
6. LeBron James
7. Charles Barkley
8. Magic Johnson
9. Penny Hardaway
10. Kobe Bryant

Such a shame that Kemp got caught up in the drugs etc. He was a dunking machine! Also a shame that Penny's career was stunted by injury - I really enjoyed watching him play.

Reply #250662 | Report this post

Old  
Years ago

MJ
Wilt
Russell
Magic
Kobe
Kareem
Duncan
James
Olajuwon
K Malone

Reply #250684 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR and Mystro, I agree about Drexler too. Really liked his smooth style, but couldn't fit him into my top 10 because Jordan knocked him off and he was only able to win one as Olajuwan's second banana.

Also agree with TR's comment about the older guys - Oscar, Russell, Kareem, etc. If I was older, I have no doubt those guys would fit in there somewhere, but I only ever saw those guys in highlight clips or in the twilight of their careers.

LC, in terms of players I liked to watch 'Nique, Barkley and Drexler would all make my list too. Guys like McHale, Kevin Johnson and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are/ were great to watch too, though probably not talking top 10.

Reply #250686 | Report this post

lloydie  
Years ago

1- Jordan - best ever
2- Magic - change the game,plays all 5 positions
3- Russell- 11 rings
4- Bird - Best white player ever!
5- Wilt - stats dont lie
6- Duncan - 4 rings and defence all team ever year in league!
7- Kobe - scoring machine, clutch
8- Shaq - best paint player ever! great 4 game
9- K.Malone - numbers dont lie, could do all
10- Olajuwon- Freak! Look at him in younger days on youtube
11-Lebron- in 5-8 years time he will be top 5!
12- Stockton - team first player, top assists and steals all time
13- Payton- best defence guard ever!
14- Erving - great numbers and changed the game in the open court
15- Barkley - beast! 6'4 rebounding machine
16- K.Garnett - huge numbers and so versatile
17- S.Pippen - plays all 4 positions, all defence
18- D.Robinson - Would be greater if army didnt keep him for 2 years!
19- J.West - Logo. Huge numbers plus rings! = winner
20- I.Thomas - All heart! Him and Iverson should be here but Isiah wins due to 2 rings

Reply #250692 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

1. Uwe Blab
2. John Konkack
3. Steve Stipanovich
4. Chuck Nevitt
5. Bill Wennington
6. Jim Mccilvaine
7. Mike Gminski
8. Greg Ostertag
9. Matt Geiger
10. Will Perdue

I know you're thinking Perdue should be a bit higher, But I think his lack of offensive skills needs to be brought into account despite his defensive greatness.

Reply #250693 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I disagree on Payton being the best defensive guard ever, Starks played good D all his career as did alot of other players. Nique, Drexler, Jordan, Pippen ect were the shit, I could never watch them play without itching to go out and shoot hoops.

Reply #250700 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

agree, Payton's definitely not the best defensive guard but best defensive PG in my mind.

Reply #250702 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Best defensive guard ever was Alvin Robertson.

Reply #250704 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

"I looked at my selection as people who dominated in their prime... Kobe & LeBron now MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, O'Neal, Dr J - Pippen had 6 rings yo! Duncan has 4."

Than surely Olajuwon qualifies, sure he only got two rings but he did dominate in his time, that shake was AWESOME!

For me Duncan dosn't dominate, he gets the job done, quietly and often very efficiently but not by dominating but by been consistent.

Reply #250707 | Report this post

lloydie  
Years ago

1993-94 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1994-95 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1995-96 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1996-97 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1997-98 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1998-99 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1999-00 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (1st)

1995-96 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
Since 1987 Payton is the ONLY guard to win the award. There were alot of great guards in the 90's and he stood out.

Reply #250708 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

lloydie makes a good case for Payton!

Also liked watching *highlights* reels from guys like Vince Carter, Harold Miner (yes I mentioned his name) Allen Iverson, Muggsy Bogues, Spudd Webb, and Mutombo's blocks and follow up finger waving!

Reply #250711 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anyone who doesn't put Duncan on this list is kidding themselves. Forget his fundamental style and look at his record. Best PF of all time (arguably). No doubt in the top ten of the last two or three decades

Reply #250727 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Defensively, the player I enjoyed watching was Dennis Rodman. His comment that "defending Larry Bird was like playing a computer game" always intrigued me.

A list of the best 10 players is too hard, so I'll go with Llodie's top 20 list + Robert Parish.

Reply #250728 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Sorry Lloydie

Reply #250729 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Players I really really liked to watch. Wish there was such thing as a time machine...

Coke and women will always bring you down...

T-Dot Vince was crazy, not so much now.

Converted me into a Charlotte supporter back in the day.

Stopped me from being another MJ fanboy

Balls out player...

Best Euro ever in the NBA... Took it to the Dream Team.

Mr Clutch.........

Not a player, but love RUN TMC

The Rifleman........ Crazzzzzzzzyyyy

Could of been sooooo much better which is scary

Reply #250740 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR thats an awesome collection mate. This thread's getting favourited!

The early Lary Johnson made me a Hornets fan briefly too. Such a shame he got back problems.

Reply #250748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for the clips TR!!
no worries Fill Smythe, i agree with ya robert parish selection as well! he played in over 1,500 nba games at a high level! all time leader in games played, also many rings to show for it as well!

pitty Larry johnson had his back problems, he was bout to hit his prime till those injuries hit! awesome power player! which more players were around like that!

Reply #250766 | Report this post

lloydie  
Years ago

thanks for the clips TR!!
no worries Fill Smythe, i agree with ya robert parish selection as well! he played in over 1,500 nba games at a high level! all time leader in games played, also many rings to show for it as well!

pitty Larry johnson had his back problems, he was bout to hit his prime till those injuries hit! awesome power player! which more players were around like that!

Reply #250767 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

LJ and Zo could off been so good... Screw you George Shinn......

Reply #250781 | Report this post

edwin  
Years ago

My favorite five players are
L. Johnson
M. Malone
M. Aguirre
B. King
Ch.Person
Looking for volunteers to share nba games. I have a collection of about 1500 matches. interested please contact me;
[email protected]

Reply #252868 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754