cavalo
Years ago

CH 10 News Report - Maher

I know there is another thread about this but I thought it was worthy of a new one.

Channel ten reports that Brett Maher is going to Turkey only for about three months and should be back in Adelaide for May. Easily back in time for the new NBL season. He was interviewed personally and stated this.

Phil Smyth was also interviewed saying that he is taking a pay cut, but will most likely be signed for a new FIVE YEAR deal. All great news for the Sixers. Sounds like they are really keen to keep the core together to push for another championship as they feel they have the right mix. Couldn't agree more!

Topic #2110 | Report this topic

fat dougs  
Years ago

agreed.....phil is clearly the best coach in 36ers history....ken cole fans might have something to say, but 3 titles talks!!

Reply #23929 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I just heard Phill on 5aa that he it was going to be a three year deal and would be suprised if it wasn't finished soon

Reply #23931 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah i mentioned the split season thing for maher in another thread. As for Phil its good if its 5 years but on the seven or nine news the vibe was different than the 10 interview. It seemed to say more that he was forced to take the cut if he wanted to stay and that phil said there were other offers but he would like to stay and so would look at the pay cut but offset that with a longer contract. They also said that he would have less money to work with to sign the players, and the willie and dusty were waiting to see what goes on with phil. The ten article was more positive than the other but i'm hopefully that it will all work out.

Reply #23943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"he would have less money to work with to sign the players"

The Adelaide Giants, oops, 36ERS. Let's hope the ticket prices drop by the same percentage as the player expenditure!

Reply #23955 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

No Isaac, that would completely go against the current management's theory of running a sporting business.

I mean after the huge crowds we had this year why stop there?

You know what would be a great way to increase ticket sales next season? Increase prices to $50 per ticket. That way you be ensuring that you are not devaluing the product.

Then to make even more money from all the tickets sold, reduce the player budget to $500k. I mean cut Farley and Rychart, move Gower and Hambour up and financial success is guaranteed!!

Of course I am being sarcastic and the above sounds crazy. However, cast your mind back two seasons. 36ers management agreed to slash cap by $300k and didn't reduce ticket prices by 1 cent!

36ers management is becoming cheaper than the Clippers owner who gets teased by the US management daily. I would like to know if the off-court team have taken pay cuts like they deserve.

Exactly how much money does BASA spend on off-court staff compared to on court personnel?

Reply #23963 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

Too much money to those dopey security guards that stop people going on the court after the game...what ever happend to the days of a shootaround after the game....i remember when i played 1 on 1 with steve woodberry after an old bullets game...oh those were the days!

Reply #23983 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Five years you would have to be kidding. Black goes across the country and signs for 2 years why sign a coach longer then you can sign players and the salary cap problems we had where we were committed to players on long term contracts. Why would we want to go down that path again. He probably deserves another term but whether its a one year extension or two years is the question. Any longer is plainly stupid.
Scenario. The crowds continue to decline over the next two years what happens if we get stuck with expensive coaches contracts. Two years and $130,000 tops. that would syill make hime the highest paid coach in the NBL!
You have to think of all the basketballers in the state not just two coaches and ten players!

Reply #24163 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

You think $130k would make him the top paid coach?? Puh-lease.

Coaches salary does not count towards salary cap, so how would the club be "stuck" if they had to release Smyth for any reason.

The fact is the club has been the most successful it ever has been under Smyth, and he deserves a contract extension.

If they expect him to take a pay cut, he has every right to ask for a longer term.....if they want hime to make a compromise, they have to be willing to compromise as well.

Reply #24176 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Yogee Goorjian less then 140 Stacker less then 140 Joyce less then 140! Fact.

Reply #24179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754