LC
Years ago

Mills heads back to the US

BA today repriost that Patrick Mills is headed back to the US and will be trying to secure his palce with Portland in the NBA.

"He is still wearing a boot to protect his foot and will have an x-ray next week to determine when he can return to full training. The Blazers' pre-season commences on October 6 against Sacramento and ends on October 22 against Phoenix, with the season proper beginning October 27."

"If Mills doesn't earn a spot for this season, he will most likely play in the secondary NBA Development League for a year, which may not be a bad thing as he will likely see plenty of minutes. Europe would also be an option, but for now all Mills is thinking about is the NBA."

Ba Link: http://linky.com.au/72dis

Interesting times ahead for Mills. It looks like he is headed to the D-League.

Topic #21127 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

blazers signed another guy which i think fills out the roster. I read on a board that someone said he will not get an invite. I just feel so bad for the guy, it all looked good now its pear shape and the blazers own his rights.

Reply #250969 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

He looked like a sure thing to be drafted higher than he was.

Reply #250970 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Injury at the worst possible times have cost Mills dearly.
A Broken sustained whilst he was single-handedly cutting down Gonzaga with some of the best shooting of his career slowed him up. Couple that with the broken foot after being drafted have really taken its toll on what is clearly a very promising talent and career.

Reply #250974 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I was looking for more info and Patty and the Portland blog on Sportsblog Nation had this:

"I'd advise Patty Mills to sign the non-guaranateed one-year, $457,588 contract tender that’s offered to every second-round draft picks. For Mills, the worst-case scenario is the Portland Trail Blazers would just waive him. Yet, under those circumstances, the Aussie would in turn become a free agent with the ability to sign with any NBA team.

That exact situation happened with Demetris Nichols and the New York Knicks in 2007".

http://www.blazersedge.com/2009/9/27/1057292/patty-mills-eyes-final-portland

Scroll down through the comments for the above quote.

If this is correct, then that is good news, because it means that, assuming he signs that contract, Patty can expect to make at least $457,588 this year while he rehabs and tries to get noticed in the D-League. I'd like to have a fall back position like that if got injured I reckon!

Reply #250975 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I guess while I'm trying to find silver linings in Mills unlucky situation, we can at least expect the Boomers to benefit from Mills being unlikely to make the NBA this year.

Instead of coming off a grueling 82 game NBA season prior to the Worlds, he will have only been through the D-League. So he should be fit and have plenty of competitive games under his belt, but I'm willing to bet he will be hungry to star for the Boomers and make NBA teams sit up and take notice again!

I reckon THAT is a good reason to get excited about the Boomers 2010 World Championship campaign!

Reply #250976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just dont want his rights held onto like dave anderson had. If he is free to move then that is the best situation for him i feel. Force a team to have to give you a try via D-League or euro performance and try and make it stick at a team.

Reply #250980 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, don't want him held hostage by the Blazers for several years. But I don't think that is an issue yet. Firstly, that minimum contract for 2nd rounders is only for one year, so after a season in the D-League he can re-assess. Secondly, since Mills seems to want to stay in the US and play in the D League, he won't have the same problems Andersen had, because he won't have any significant buyout costs for teams to worry about.

Reply #250986 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fingers crossed.

Reply #250988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the Blazers don't have to offer Mills that contract this season (or waive/trade his rights). I'm not too sure how long he has to wait before they would have to relinquish his rights but it would be at least a couple of years. Once you get to about half way through the second round it's preferable to not be drafted at all as you know you have f__k all chance of makingn that team & the team that drafts you can play silly buggers with your rights. He won't be getting a contract offer from the Blazers this season.

There's been plenty of players over the years who were drafted in the second-round and wanted to play in the NBA but the team that drafted them didn't want them at that particular time or at all.

No doubt he'll either play in the D-League for about $20k or play somewhere in Europe.

Reply #250990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai looks in more trouble with mavs signing Voskul, despite still having 16 players.

Reply #251035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't mean anything, NBA teams sign plenty of players this time of year for Training Camp & pre-season. I think you can sign up to 20 players or something and then cull that to 15-16 by the time the regular season starts.

Anyone remember Rich Melzer getting a two year deal from the Spurs and then being cut before even playing a game with them?

Reply #251041 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jawai has a contract for this season...it expires at the end of the season.

Reply #251046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contracts mean nothing, especially when its only $400,000. Portland bought out Steve Francis for $16m before even playing a game, if a team doesnt want you a team doesnt want you.

Reply #251075 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The contract does mean something for Jawai: it means that he has some good money to live off even if he gets bought out by Dallas.

So thats critical for his ability to stay in the US and continue to focus on improving his game.

On Mills, I had a look yesterday to try and clarify what happens with this minimum offer to second rounders. From what I could find in the CBA, I think its more like a holding offer so they can keep his rights. If they offer it and he doesn't accept and doesn't play professional ball anywhere for the next year, I think he basically becomes a rookie FA.

That could work if he can get some money from elsewhere to keep him going for another year in the US AND if the D League is not considered a professional league.

But if he doesn't have a secure source of income and the guy I quoted above is right, he might be best off accepting that minimum contract from Portland, go play in the D League team they are affiliated to and then try make enough noise to either force his way into the Blazers team (unlikely), or make it worth their while to trade him somewhere he is wanted next Summer.

Reply #251080 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe the Tigers will 'find room' in the salary cap for him!

Reply #251086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown, there will be no contract offer from the Blazers.

Reply #251103 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ok, looked into Mills sitch a bit more and found this from a well respected FAQ on the NBA salary cap:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q42

According to this resource, "second round draft picks become free agents if not given a required tender" by September 6.

So for the Blazers to still have any control over his rights, they must have already tendered this offer, which I guess is the $457,588 contract I referred to earlier.

Does anyone actually recall the Blazers making this offer? I can't find one anywhere, so it looks like none was made an Mills is a free agent right now.

Guess he is just in Portland because they drafted him and, as he said, have shown some interest in him despite not really having a spot for him this year.

Not good from a security point of view not having a decent contract, but hopefully he can get by on a D-League contract somewhere for a year. Otherwise its off to Europe or even... the NBL... yeah unlikely but would be cool for a year!

Reply #251126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus man he hasn't been offered a contract, won't be offered one and the Blazers will still retain his rights.

Reply #251177 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, according to what that FAQ says, the Blazers DO NOT retain Mills rights unless they have made this tender by September 6.

Can you point to where Mills was offered this tender? Cause I can't find a report on it, so it appears the Blazers have no rights to Mills.

I have NOT been saying that Portland will give Mills a contract btw. Its completely obvious that there is no room on their roster for him.

I am just interested in working out what the deal is with retaining rights to 2nd round picks. If you can't help with that or aren't interested then kindly FARK OFF instead of sniping from your anonymous cave!

Reply #251219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754