Anonymous
Years ago

Mills to be waived by Blazers?

A source close to Patrick Mills informed NBADraft.net late Tuesday that Mills will most likely be waived by the Trailblazers this Friday so that they can sign Nigerian and former Spurs defensive standout Ime Udoka.

:(

http://linky.com.au/221as

Topic #21289 | Report this topic

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

This guy has been unlucky, but probably needed to finish collage and come out then, hind sight is always great, but there was never a guarentee he would go first round, only the shit teams spin to them...

Reply #252905 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think Mills only got out of the protective boot for his foot in the last week. So he really has had no chance to compete for a roster spot.

Hopefully he can get fit in time to land a spot on a D League team, since he seems committed to staying in the US for now. If he can't find a good situation where he is playing a lot of minutes and getting paid okay though, I actually think he could do worse than come back and play in the NBL this season.

Reply #252909 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In saying that, you might need to make full disclosure about your position on any FNBL waiver lists... ;)

Reply #252910 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills is theunluckiest guy going around...a waiver may in fact be the best thing for him long term.

Reply #252916 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL Isaac, unfortunately for me, I am only about 4th on the waiver wire. For better or worse, I think I'm stuck with my FNBL team unless there is a flurry of import axings!

Reply #252917 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Expect to see him play some D-League then pick up a few 10-day contracts when PG's get hurt.

Still lots of options as long as he can reproduce his Beijing form.

Reply #252923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like LC said i think this might be good for him, shame the draft did not workout but now he is free to go where he can, as apposed to being held as a pawn. Hopefully impress in th D-League and try to latch on somewhere.

Reply #252925 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Totally.

Reply #252933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's another article seeming to confirm the rumours.

http://linky.com.au/q7tef

Reply #252936 | Report this post

Draftexpress  
Years ago

Mills will be back on Nba teams radar after te world champs or olympics after he destroys the USA team again. He'll get his chance

Reply #252938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, but Mills wants it ASAP. By next years WC, he could have spent another year at St Mary's and gotten picked up first round in the 2010 Draft. Last thing we all want is for Mills to have an extended wait such as David Andersen had.

Reply #252946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats true but he has to make the best of his situation, long term if it takes a year in the wilderness to make the NBA he will take it. The whole thing is just a real shame.

Reply #252950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would gladly take one year as well. The point I was trying to make is that if he is relying on good showings at the WC or Olympics, he is looking at two to five years.

Reply #252953 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

It is still too early to tell, but it looks like the Blazers will not offer him the final roster spot (should go to Ime Udoka).
It sounds like the Blazers will hold onto his rights and allow him to either play D-League or send him off to a Euro gig...

Reply #252967 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Clarky, pretty sure the Blazers had to offer Mills something known as a 'required tender' by September 6 if they wanted to retain any rights to him (ie, if they wanted to stash him overseas for a year or two). There was a whole thread about this a few weeks back here:

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/21127-mills-heads-back-to-the-us/

(Sorry, linky pumped out some garbage when I used it)

There's a link in there that points to an FAQ by Larry Coon on the CBA where I got the info from:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q42

If anyone is interested, look up point 98 "What are the important CBA-related dates each season?" it gives some dates there and one of them is the Sept 6 date that says:

"Second round draft picks become free agents if not given a required tender"

Pretty sure that was never offered by the Blazers, so I think he has no obligations to them whatsoever.

Reply #252976 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I hope so Beantown.

Would love to see Mills get an opportunity. Would hate to see him hung out to dry.

Reply #252978 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

At least if they hang him out to dry, it won't take long. Dude's so skinny he'd dry with a passing breeze!

Reply #252991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looking at this another way, Mills is unvaluable and expendible. not worthwhile keeping.

Reply #252996 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, Mills maybe temporarily 'unvaluable' but that is primarily because of his injury. Once he gets healthy he absolutely has the ability, as a minimum, to be a scoring sparkplug off the bench for a team. If he gets the right situation and coaching as a PG, the potential is there to be a starter. So I don't know why anyone would want to look at Mills situation so negatively.

Reply #253026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown- realistically, if he is really such a great player then I think teams would want to hold onto you. especially young teams like Blazer where they're built for the future.

good to know you have the experience in scouting NBA players as to whether they'll be a good starting player.

seriously, just cos he's Aussie don't make him great (like Hewitt in tennis). I'm Aussie but you also have to face truth. good to show support but keep fantasies to yourself.

Reply #253065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not to mention current status at point guard position is of highest standards in history of the game.

Reply #253066 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

The Blazers will hold his draft rights regardless of where he plays.
The organisation is in the exact same position with many other overseas prospects (Claver, Koponen, Freeland) so regardless of whether the 15th and final roster spot is filled by Patty, Ime Udoka or someone else, the rights to Mills are still held by the Blazers.

Reply #253068 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, he certainly ha spotential to be a world class player, having had an excellent tournament at the highest level of all.

No question he slipped under teams' radars there though, so he has work to do, but ti suggest he doesnt have potential to be a good NBA player, with his speed, is unrealistic.

Reply #253069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul- I think the definition been a world class player is a funny one. a world class player doesn't seem to be the best basketball player?!?! where was Andrew Gaze one of the best basketballer ever? nope, but is he a world class player? yes.

so with Pat Mills, even if he doesn't make NBA he still will be a world class player. at the end of the day success in basketball doesn't end at NBA.

also, I really don't think international games are the highest level for this sport, NBA is. in all reality many top college kids probably could've represented their country if they were citizens to non-US country.

Reply #253073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unfortunately Patrick had poor advice, he should have finished College and then he would have some good options both in and outside of basketball

Reply #253089 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, given that a team featuring James, Bryant, Wade, Anthony, Paul, Kidd, Howard, Williams, Bosch, Boozer etc only won the gold medal game by 11pts, international is well ahead of the NBA. That team would beat any NBA team by 40.

And given that the silver medal at the 2002, 2004 and 2006 tournaments were won by teams with no NBA players - finishing ahead of US teams filled with top NBA players, it is living in the past to think the NBA is the highest level.

Highest club level - easily, but the intensity of NBA games cant match the Olympics or WCs.

As for Andrew Gaze, I would have him in the top ten players of the modern era comfortably. He scored points against virtually every team he played.

Reply #253093 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, I don't have to be a scout to know a top notch player when I see one. Did you see his speed with the basketball in the Olympics? Very few players can get up and down the court that fast, let alone while keeping the ball under control. Mills may even be quicker than Rondo and he's a lot faster than Chris Paul.

Did you also see Mills outplay Stephen Curry in a college game last year soon after he came back from injury? Curry went 7th in the draft. The difference between them is that Curry got himself a bigger profile by going deep in the NCAA tourney the year before and he is recognised as an excellent shooter. Mills isn't as good a shooter as Curry, but he is well and truly good enough to make the open shot on a regular basis - better than guys like Rondo for example.

So, if you have a player who can get wherever he wants to go on a basketball court, is a constant threat to score on the fast break and can hit the open shot, then at the least he has the ability to be a sparkplug off the bench like I said earlier.

Now, if Mills takes that next step and is able to learn how to run an NBA offence? Well, the sky is the limit for him then.

Basically, if you have watched him play and seen a lot of NBA basketball, I don't see how you could fail to be optimistic about his future in the NBA.

Reply #253096 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Clarky, did you read the info I posted and are you certain of that? Because from the info I have found, I don't think Mills was offered that required tender.

This confirms that he is about to become a free agent:

http://linky.com.au/1brsy

The other guys you have mentioned - Claver, et al have gone to play overseas for professional teams and hence Portland was able to make the required tender to retain their rights because they are not taking up a roster spot.

Since Mills made it clear he wanted to stay in the US and try to make the NBA, the Blazers knew they couldn't retain his rights unless they wanted to keep him on their roster. When he got injured, there was basically no chance of that, so it was not surprising that they never made the tender.

Reply #253098 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

dude, if he's so much better than CP3 can you tell me why he's not getting an offer get real (even under injury they'd still keep him for future development! also I recall Mills' sprint time been fast but not the fastest, so stop trying to describe him been fastest PG around. his problem is at his skill-set, at his height he needs to be amazing with the ball which he isn't and for his height that's detrimental. you're underestimating the rest of the guys.

moving onto his Olympic run. the problem? US D at the time focused on the interior and that's really how Mills' opportunity came up. that's why US scouts didn't really take it that seriously.

Gaze is in no way top 10 player in modern era (Gaze himself will laugh at that). NBA is stil the highest level when you look at skill and talent. International is a much different game when you have the rest of the world spending years gelling.

Also, think about it this way...if Mills #55 pick can represent his country you'd think if guys like D-Rose is Australian he'll obviously make Boomers and even starting job! so NBA's definitely higher level.

Reply #253110 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

oh yeah don't get me wrong, not saying Mills is a bad player but he neds a lot ofwork to stay in the league. another problem for him, he's 6' and his game is to put the ball in the basket. so he literally has to change the way he plays the game or he needs to acquire the skill-set of Allan Iverson. also need to put into consideration is the somewhat more physical style of basketball in NBA with dudes like Shaq filling the driving lane. this is way I give so much respect to Boykins, AI, Nate etc. but all of them guys are not only fast but they are amazing with the ball. I've once seen AI dribble 5 balls! lol maybe Mills can too but that was pretty amazing.

Reply #253111 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LA Boy, show me where I said Mills was better than Paul? I said he is a lot faster than Paul - and I don't care what sprint time Mills got, he showed that none of the US point guards at Beijing could stay in front of him. Are you going to try and tell me Chris Paul wasn't trying to stay with Mills in the quarter finals of the Olympics?

I do agree with you that he has a lot of work to do if he wants to become a starting PG. His understanding of how to run a half court offence just isn't there yet. But his ball handling, speed and shooting is all good enough to earn him a roster spot once he gets healthy. He's certainly good enough to do what guys like Boykins have done.

Reply #253115 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills has been signed!

Trail Blazers Sign Patrick Mills

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Trail Blazers signed guard Patrick Mills to a contract, it was announced today by General Manager Kevin Pritchard. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Portland selected Mills (6-0, 185) with the 55th overall pick in the second round of the 2009 NBA Draft after playing two seasons at St. Mary's (CA) College.

Mills, who fractured the fifth metatarsal in his right foot during an NBA Summer League practice session on July 9, underwent successful surgery on July 13 and is continuing his rehabilitation on schedule.

The Australian national was an early entry candidate for the NBA Draft out of St. Mary’s, where he posted averages of 16.4 points, 2.2 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.97 steals in two seasons. Mills, 21, was a First Team All-WCC selection as a freshman and sophomore.

NBA Link: http://linky.com.au/wa7yo

Reply #253117 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry LA Boy, but Olympics and Worlds is clearly the highest level.

The current US team has been playing together for a number of years now, moreso than most teams, so that argument doesnt wash.

The simple fact is that Greece beat that US team in 06 without any NBA players. Spain lost in a close gold medal game in 08. No NBA team would get close to the US team.

The NBA is a different game because its rules are designed for athleticism and individual play. That means some of the worlds best basketballers arent suited to that league.

When the top SPanish teams started playing NBA teams under mixed rules the results were 50/50, to the point where the NBA vetoed any more games not under NBA rules.

Gaze is a modest man, but he is the second leading scorer in Olympic and WC history, and has done it with high %s against all-comers (25p v USA in 96, 23p v USA in 94) despite being targeted by the defences every single game.

My top ten of the modern era would be Jordan, Schmidt, Johnson, O'Neil, Bird, Gaze, Ginobili, Bryant, Yao and Ortiz.

Apologies to Arvidas Sabonis, Dirk Nowitzki, Isiah Thomas and Drazen Petrovic.

Some young blokes named James, Gasol and Wade are a good chance to move into that realm the way they are going.

Reply #253126 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just to clarify LA Boy, I am talking about the top teams internationally, not Angola, China or Iran etc. Certainly there are players in leagues right around the world that could get a game for the lower countries.

Reply #253130 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I can guarrantee you any NBA role players can still make any other national teams around the world. I actually know Andrew Gaze fairly well, as humble as he is, he know he's not top 10 in modern era, that's a joke I'm sorry. here's a question, how many Olympics and WC did he play in? not to mention he was the primary option in almost every single one of them.

In saying that, I've worked with and seeing some of the top athletes (basketball in particular) in the world and Andrew Gaze is in no way top 10 I'm sorry.

At the end of the day, USA team still won the gold medal when they tried. so not sure where's your argument from. the gap is getting closer but it's still there. Also the team gelling argument holds because teams like Spain, Argentina, Greece etc. plays together every year. USA has had far more preparatino comparing to the past but stil no way near as much as these guys.

Beantown- once again USA focused on interior defence, it was very Bogut-Anderson driven. It really makes a difference. This is why though Rubio didn't do as well as Mills against USA but he still got drafted high. USA D at the time put him and the 2 Gasols as focal point.

Reply #253143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The point is that the US team was the absolute cream of American talent and could beat any NBA team by a massive margin. Yet in 2006 they lost to a Greek team with no NBA players and last year they were run all the way by Spain.

Many role players in the NBA wouldnt be major players in other leagues around the world. They might be able to play roles for a national team, but wouldnt be stars unless they have the basketball skills required for international basketball, and not just the athletic skills that allow them to compete in the NBA.

As for Gaze, he was a major option in the offence, but was targeted mightily by the defences but still scored big at good precentages against all the top teams, including the USA.

Only Oscar Schmidt has been able to do it better.

Reply #253150 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LA Boy, I understand what you are saying in terms of a half-court game. If the US team had focussed on Mills in that situation, he would have struggled.

But I think you have to concede that the US team simply had no answers to Mills in the open court. I remember watching both games and after it happened a couple of times, you could see Chris Paul and Deron Williams both took it personally and really tried to stop Mills from beating them down court. But guess what, they flat out couldn't! Seriously watch the game again and you will see what I mean.

Reply #253167 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

when the game is played in a way that each play is setted up for you to score, it makes scoring that much easier (as in Gaze's case).

I think over the last few years what we've seen is athleticism isn't enough, team game wins. when you got that USA team who's hardly played together against an experienced Greek team, why don't you give that same USA teams the same amount of practicing oppotunities and see what will happen. Also at the time that '06 group weren't the strongest either.

when you get the whole "team" thing out of the equation and talk about pure skill and athleticism NBA is highest level offered. also, far from what others think that NBA is all about athleticism, people'd be quite surprized these dudes are also some of the most skilled you can find. international games nowadays just try minimize these guys' individual performance.

now you put these dudes to play at other places around the world what you find is: 1. they're not motivated to play (eg. Bonzi Wells in CBA) 2. they've already past they're prime. in all reality, I'm not sure if there's really a "superstar" as per se in international games.

I'm not sure if USA really cared about Mills at the time to be honest, or Kobe would've chased him around. if that game really mattered that much he would've done much better in the draft instead of Rubio (who I still think will be a bust). also Mills on open court, I believe they really could have had an answer for them as they could've just defended Mills like the way the played against Barbosa; where he got absolutely shut down. I've had 7 months of personal work with Barbosa and he's the fastest player I've ever seen.

Reply #253172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LA Boy, Chris Paul couldn't go with Patty Mills go back and watch both games especially the warm up game.

Reply #253174 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

let's wait for next time the two teams meet and we'll see what happens.

also a question, if Mills is seemingly unstoppable how is he struggling make NBA? I believe the ride would've been much smoother. on the other hand the "lesser" CP3 is a star? the world's not right?!?!

Reply #253175 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LA Boy, you keep missing the point about Mills. Its not that he is or ever will be the player Chris Paul is. The point is he has one phenomenal attribute which is his speed with the ball, which very few players can match. I will lay money on Patty Mills beating Barbosa down court with or without the ball.

Put Kobe on Mills are you serious? We aren't talking in the half court here. I am talking about open court, flat out beat your man down the floor. If Chris Paul and Deron Williams couldn't keep up with him, do you think Kobe could?

Do you not agree that a lot of players make the NBA based on the fact that they are exceptional at one or two things? Eg, Scalabrine - someone gave him a shot because he showed he could play solid positional D and can hit the three; Reggie Evans - relentless rebounding; Eddie House - phenomenal shooting.

I am NOT saying Mills is unstoppable. What I am saying is that his speed is his key NBA asset. That skill makes him a dangerous threat to score quick points unless the opposing team makes sure they have someone in a position to beat him down the floor. That is a good weapon for a coach to throw at a team whose guards are a little slow or too eager to crash the offensive boards and shoot it in the paint.

I'm pretty sure someone will see what Mills can offer a team once he gets healthy and then we will see him in the NBA - I expect next season, because he is still rehabbing his foot right now.

Reply #253187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754