Shaqdiddy
Years ago

JUMPBALL

I say bring the Jump Ball back. It may not be high on peoples priorities, but I liked the way it used to brake the games up.

The arrow system annoys me, you could hustle your guts out, two guys diving on a loose ball, cause a jump ball, and by vertue of the arrow system, one team gets it. I say bring it back add a slightly different dimension to the game, just a thought anyway!

Topic #2131 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The possession arrow is ridiculous. Bring back the jump ball.

Reply #24171 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Amen

Reply #24172 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

But...with a jump ball......didnt the same thing happen??

The small guy could dive on the ball, hustle to get the loose ball, only to be forced into a jumpball with a 6'9 centre, and lose the tip.

At least with the arrow, you have a 50-50 chance...not to mention you know who will get possesion out of hustle.

Reply #24175 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

Even if you had a small guy in the jumpball the players around the circle could steal it. Read the players hand to the direction the ball was going.

Reply #24177 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The possession indicator keeps the game moving - its fantastic for junior basketball - under 10's and the like cause it just cuts out endless jump ball situations.

Gotta remember, College and Wheelchair Basketball have been using the indicator for ages - it works.

Coaches get used to it and they coach to it, like most rule changes.

Reply #24180 | Report this post

KOBE#8  
Years ago

What a nieve thought that just because a small guy goes up against a big, he has automatically lost possesion (Remember Brad Mackinnon upo against the then Magic John Dorge). Its all about positioning of players around the jump.

Also I don't necessarily like the idea of knowing straight away who has possesion out of a 50/50 hustle play either, let them jump for it and see who is really deserves the ball. If you want to try and keep it more 50/50 perhaps make every jumpball a centre court situation, even if the held ball occurs under one team basket.

Reply #24181 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Bring back the jump ball. Us big fellas are becoming dinosaurs without it. We were worth a guaranteed 2 points per quarter to the team through it!

Reply #24183 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Ok, let's compromise, the jump ball is great for under 10's, so keep it as a revised rule for them.

But for everyone else, a jump ball is part of basketball and should have never been taken away.

If you want posession from the jump ball, learn where and when to position yourself to get it, learn to read the play.

Unfortunately, since Australia follows FIBA and FIBA seems intent in slowly turning the game into a mix of NBA and NCAA, I don't see the jump ball making a return.

R.I.P the jump ball!

Reply #24191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the arrow can lose games.... BRING BACK JUMP BALL!!!!!!

Reply #24192 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I saw my share of games lost with jump ball as well, especially in close games, where a team scored to get in the lead late in the game, then forcved a jump ball on the inbounds, only to win the tip and score another 2 points (or even 3), and win the game from trailing all game.

The arguements for a jump ball can also be arguements for the arrow, however the major one FOR the arrow, in that I have not seen a player injured from being awarded the ball on an arrow.

Reply #24196 | Report this post

fat dougs  
Years ago

the arrow is ridiculous....i do not see one negative to having a jump ball. not one....it brings a lot more excitement to a game then a boring sideball. it is traditional start ot a game and every quarter. it fairly rewards both teams for their efforts. imagine, a looseball, and 2 players from opposing teams put their bodies on the line to dive on it, and get there at the same time....wrestle for the ball for 2 seconds, only to both have the ball.....surely the fair result is jump it up, rather than stopping and everyone looking over at the arrow....and that bloody thing randomly deciding whose ball it is......bloody ridiculous.

Reply #24198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The arrow is so boring. The in-bounds pass to start a quarter is boring. If the concern is injuries, play lawn bowls. We're not talking about dangerous tackles here, but jumping from the spot to tap a ball.

In the AFL, it's often muddy and the ruckmen are taking a running leap with the prospect of slipping. In a jumpball, surely the only danger is jumping and landing on someone's foot and I'd say there'd be more risk of that occuring under the basket when going for a rebound anyway.

I think it's embarrassing to take someone to a game, for players to hustle, the game to stop while everyone looks at the bench to see which way an arrow is facing, and then for someone to pass it in. Every sport has their jump ball equivalent, but that of basketball is a really key part of the sport's identity. Take away much more and there isn't much difference between basketball and netball.

Reply #24204 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Bring back jump ball. A players efforts in fighting for a loose ball should be rewarded or at least be given the chance to be rewarded. No jump ball can be assured of going the way you plan, but it is a part of basketball.

Reply #24206 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

I say bring back the jumpball at least to begin the quarters or halves of the game. The centre jump at each break sets the game apart from netball and it is a great battle of the tall or jumpers and also a crowd pleaser.

Reply #24208 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

"I saw my share of games lost with jump ball as well, especially in close games, where a team scored to get in the lead late in the game, then forcved a jump ball on the inbounds, only to win the tip and score another 2 points (or even 3), and win the game from trailing all game."

That's called good defence. That same good defence, which allowed an exciting finish to a game and showed everything that is good about basketball, may have been diffused by the possesion arrow. Jump Ball forever.

Reply #24213 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The arrow is definitely a GOOD idea for the younger ages....maybe up to udner 12s. Having seen countless u10 and u12 girls games in the past 4 years, I think the record was 27 jump balls that the stats lady counted in one quarter (3rd). It was definitely more then 25.

For the older ages, it is just frustrating forcing a steal or a hustle play that sees the defensive player dive on the ball, and then having to give it back to the offense.

Reply #24223 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Agree for younger grades. Too many jumpballs forced because of lack of skill, not pressure D.

Reply #24229 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Definatley bring back the jump ball or at least there should be a reset of the shot clock if there is a jump ball whilst you are in offence and the arrow points your way there is no reset.

Reply #24237 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I think what Yogee is saying is basically correct.

There is another way of looking at this. All the great d in the world counts for little if you can't win a jump ball because you are a team of 5 foot nothings and they are a team of 6 foot somethings.

With the possession indicator at least you know your great D will be rewarded 50% of the time.

However, as someone else said, it is, despite being a very effective mechanism , boring. Having said this, jump balls are not all that exciting either.

Reply #24264 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And for Bulldog, FIBA want the possession indicator not because its like the NCAA or NBA, but because it keeps the game moving.

They are always looking at rule changes that speed up the "downtime" of the game - jumpballs were one of those.

Reply #24266 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Don't see why they changed it in the first place. Why fix it if it ain't broken.

Reply #24270 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

HO, if you are short, bad luck. That is the advantage in basketball.

At least your team has a chance to win possession on a jumpball by reading the tip and causing a deflection.

You say half the time it is rewarded. Well, the other half it ain't.

Reply #24276 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

The arrow was brought into the system to keep the game moving (as pervious have said) so it will attract new people to the game, not people who already love the game, like some of you. It hasn't changed the game dynamics, if you say it has then have a good long think about how and why the game is played, it is a fast paced game that is supposed to be exciting and possession based.

In any other competition other than under 10's how many jump balls are there in a game, Two maybe Three a game if that. ABA and NBL there would one or Two a game so lets now worry about little intangible parts of the game when there are bigger part that still need to be fixed.

Sorry about that I will step down of my soap box now.

Reply #24281 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

There used to be as least one every quarter.

Reply #24290 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Yeah and people said you could fall of the edge of the earth if you walk long enough, it is called progress, things evolve and some rules just diminish with importance to the ambiance of the game

It was and will always be a BS part of the game. Jump balls are irrelevant that's why they are no longer part of the game.

Reply #24293 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Croqeut anyone, evolution usually involves progress for the better. The argument here is that the possession arrow has taken away rewarding my favourite part of the game. Knee-burning hustle. It allows the little man, or the less athletic man to put a mark on the game. Big hustle plays often come at big times in the game.

Reply #24295 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Game tied, the ball goes out of bounds with 3 seconds to go. Umpires don't get a clean look at it, can't decide. Call jumpball. Does the arrow come into effect or do we have a jumpball? If it is the arrow that is one problem with the rule.

Reply #24303 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Sorry one more question, are we confusing a jumpball with an AFL ruck? How long does it take to set up a jumpball compared to the ump looking at the arrow(in some stadium the scorers coke bottle on its side)and getting to the sideline. All for it in 10,12. An athletic contest canĀ“t be all bad for the game. Teams had plays to score off of jumpballs or as I said previously pick them. If FIBA is trying to speed up the game why are we having subs for both teams on dead ball situations?

Reply #24304 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Exactly a good question.

The NBA and Euroleague don't have the "lucky dog", as US Olympic broadcaster NBC would call it.

The NBA and Euroleague have nearly the identical jump ball rule:

1. Loser of jump ball at opening tip obtains the ball to start the second and third period. Winner obtains the jump ball to start the fourth period.

2. All other jump balls are held at the nearest face-off circle (centre, free-throw) except double fouls with neither team in control of the ball, double free throw violations, and ball lodged between backboard and ring. Those jump balls take place in the centre.

3. Overtimes are tapped.

Reply #25142 | Report this post

Peter KARAGEORGOS  
Years ago

cooooooooooooooooooool man aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasdsadsdsdsdsdsdsdsd

(Mod: Thanks to ELG for the pic.)

Reply #37789 | Report this post

Peter KARAGEORGOS  
Years ago

How long deso a quater go for?

Reply #37791 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

Peter,are you at kindy?? Your first entry looks like you're slurring and in your last entry deso is not a recognised word in the English language. Maybe proof read first or get mum or dad to translate for you.

Bring back the jump ball!!!

Reply #37792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754