LC
Years ago

NBA Legend brands AFL players "idiots"

Outspoken NBA legend Charles Barkley has labelled AFL players "damn idiots" during an interview on US radio.

Barkley was in Australia earlier in the year and watched an AFL game.

The outspoken Barkley, who retired from the NBA in 2000 after a stellar career mixed with controversial incidents, was not impressed with Aussie rules.

He thinks American gridiron players get a better deal.

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'," Barkley told the Dallas affiliate of ESPN Radio.

"Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money.

"At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

Herald-Sun Link: http://linky.com.au/eh2um

He does make a good point...AFL players get paid peanuts compared to NFL players. However it is a different country, with a way bigger market and thus more $$$.

Some good international exposure for AFL for free!

Topic #21331 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not much more than a link bait headline from News Ltd.

Reply #253536 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

AFL is no where near as physical as the NFL. You'd be better off comparing the physicalities of the game with Rugby Union or League in regards to the impact on the body.

As you mentioned above the market will determine rate of pay & NFL has a bigger market with greater sponsorship $$, thus palyers are paid better.

Reply #253537 | Report this post

MadeInThe'Laide  
Years ago

Jake said: "AFL is no where near as physical as the NFL."

Are you kidding me? Being flung or tackled to the ground without pads has a lot more impact than crashing into someone wearing padding, while you yourself are also covered in padding.

Have you seen the amount of padding they wear in the NFL?

The order definately goes Rugby > AFL > NFL.

Reply #253559 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Population of Australia: 22,000,000
Population of US: 320,000,000

AFL Players do OK.

Reply #253562 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I agree with kad. AFL players do fine...

The average wage for an AFL player is $220k, and before anyone jumps up and down, it's the average across all players. Some earn more, some earn less.

Reply #253568 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Just shows how much of a sook CB is, NFL is a stop start game with padding, rules against Roughing the quarterback so he doesnt get tackled. The players are to stupid to play offence and defense, so maybe they are overpaid fat ass's

Dont ever compare AFL to Rugby Union, you'd get hurt walking on the field

Reply #253587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say they were tongue-in-cheek comments.

Reply #253588 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think to say padding in NFL will save your arse means you probably have never played the game. tackle in NFL and AFL is different and I have played both games (not at high level) and would say NFL is rougher, the padding really don't do much. also got to remember NFL dudes are much more athletic comparing to AFL players. probably not as conditioned aerobically but much stronger and powerful.

Reply #253644 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

also, in regards to the start and stops...gridiron is probably the most tactical game I've seen and by far much more tactical than AFL.

the reaction and response componenet is much more demanding in gridiron since each play lasts not much more than 10s.

Reply #253645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

roughing the passer is different to tackling the quarterback, also due to the fact they are all much bigger and stronger players and hit much harder

Reply #253647 | Report this post

Shodan  
Years ago

Sorry to brust the AFL suppoters bubble, but he was actually talking about Rugby League (NRL) after attending a game with Russell Crow (he owns a rugby league team in the NRL). He just got the name confused and has cleared it up since. Just google it if you don't belive me (dons flame proof suit and awaits AFL fans).

Reply #315405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754