Baller
Years ago

Ref Rosters

Does anyone know how the rotation works for refs in the NBL? I can't believe I've seen rookie refs working televised games, is that usual?

Topic #21342 | Report this topic

Hoops  
Years ago

Yeah! Bring on more Scotty B!

Reply #253600 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

we get the same three refs every weeks in Perth!

Reply #253602 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I think you will find that it all comes down to funds with regards to referee rostering. Some of the top referees are still flown in for games and then rostered with qualified (???) referees in the game locations. All the rosters come from Pat Tilden who is in charge of NBL referees. You may agree or disagree with the rostering but in the end they have to work with what is available.

Reply #253685 | Report this post

Grey is Good....  
Years ago

It doesnt have anything to do with Funds, it works on a grading panel system, Panel 3 refs are your senior refs, then panel 2 refs, the ones that have done a good amount of NBL/WNBL games, then panel 1 refs, are the rookie fellas that have come though WNBL into NBl. Each state have refs on different panels, if that helps to answers your question. So why cant the so called rookie do a TV game?

Reply #253728 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Also works around each referees normal work committments. Bit hard to fly in the referee you might want on a game if he can't make the game.

Reply #253731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

panel 1 refs are the elite
panel 2 are the up and comers
panel 3 are the newbies

Reply #253735 | Report this post

Years ago

Reply #256080 | Report this post

tommo  
Years ago

Reply #256085 | Report this post

Years ago

lol

Reply #258751 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

The system is a farce, or more to the point Tilden is.
Tilden has his boys club and looks after his mates, they introduced a ranking system to rank refs, 70 -85 for level 3, 75-85 for level 2, 80 - 85 for level 1 yet when the referee coaches submit their evaluations if he doesnt like the ref and their mark is too high he over rules them so he doesnt have to promote them up a level.. Which means a higher pay rate and better recognition.
The levels are a joke too, the referee coaches are told to mark each ref within their allowable grade, so tell me this, how are refs ever going to go up a grade if the ref coaches arent allowed to mark refs above their grade range??
Too many decent refs have been held back at levels way below their ability and rankings, this season he even altered the ranking range to keep certain refs in their panel range.....
Its a total joke.

Reply #266708 | Report this post

Correction  
Years ago

Not sure that is quite true Amazed.
At Nbl level it should be difficult to increase your level and experience counts for plenty.

For example some officials like Mildenhall,Hunt,Shiels are hard to replace on the top level with the likes of Haines,Kirsten & Mills

I think they need to spend more money flying officials to different venues through the year - for example Adelaide never has Butler or Mayberry because they are in far north queensland

Also I think the guys I mentioned, Haines and co who have been in the league for around 10 years and still have little experience so they need to give these guys more games

get rid of the girl from brisbane - must be there for the looks lol

Reply #266715 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

What about WNBL...? some weird stuff going on there...

Reply #266728 | Report this post

Yol  
Years ago

Wnbl are more consistant than the Nbl
I think in most games you hardly notice the umpires so much in the girls games

Reply #266824 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

Some of them are getting screwed over though by favouritism and politics..... and have been for many years.

Reply #266917 | Report this post

Legend  
Years ago

Let me tell you referees who ref the NBL have gone up a whole ladder of leagues and challenges so their not "rookies" im sure you guys would do a better job, they are level 4A and some of them are FIBA badged so they can referee Olympics and world championships

Reply #499822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how many 4a / fiba refs were in control in Perth?

Reply #499828 | Report this post

Legend  
Years ago

Micheal Aylen and Vaughen mayberry are perfect examples of fiba badged referees in perth

Reply #505657 | Report this post

Legend  
Years ago

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-42-0-0-0&sID=211095

Read this article if you don't understand referee levels

Reply #505658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, and there are a lot of qualified mechanics that wreck your car, doctors who botch operations and Builders who build a dodgy house. Just because you are qualified does not mean you are good at your job. Thats why you have review systems and audits and admit you are human. The NBA admit their refs can not see it all and they miss some or get it wrong so spend a few minutes in a game to get it right and the coaches have a right of reply and a post game review. WE NEED THE SAME.

Reply #505671 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754