Loco
Years ago

Post Melb - Sixers Fan

I'm going to preface this with a few things.

1. I love the Sixers more than any team on the planet. I've forgotten how long I've been a memember for - 12 or 15 years or something.

2. One loss doesn't = the end of the world.

3. I understand the standard of competition this year.

4. It's a new team that needs time.

'K now. All that said... allow me to vent.

Does anyone else feel like people have forgotten what pulling on a Sixers singlet means? Growing up with Peter Ali, Al Green, Brett Maher, Mark Davis , Mike McKay, Robert Rose, Darnell Mee...

I can swallow losing to a better team. Hell, it's the most competetive NBL season ever - thankfully - but to lose without a fight? After being humiliated in Perth by 30? C'mon. Make a f'n statement.

Cortez was solid - played well for mine.
Holmes was relatively solid as well - worked hard.
Ng's shot's didn't fall, but selection was fine by mine.
Herbert toiled for not a lot.
Hill penetrated relatively well, but to not a lot of avail.
Ballinger struggled in Burston's absence again.
Cooper was Cooper.
Gilchrist... people lit a fire under your @ss after Perth man. You had every excuse to explode on Melb. Even in the warm ups... from rolling up last, to lagging behind... man, your head was never in it. I'm one of your biggest fans... but you were never there mentally. Your still reeling from Homicide humbling you a week ago, despite the tentative game winner.

And that's the crux of my post-loss rant.

We didn't scratch. We didn't claw. We didn't brawl back when hit. We had no fight in us. Put simply - courtesty of Dad watching the game and putting it painfully succinctly - we had no pride.

The Dome is out home court. Yeah, it's early days. Yeah, we're a new team - but there was not an inkling of fight in us tonight.

Once upon a time, melodrama aside, pulling on a Sixers uniform meant you'd have your shoulder smashed out of it's socket on an inbound pass and you'd STILL wanna fight the Tigers. You didn't get intimidated or pushed around or bullied.

Tonight?

We laid down and died. That ain't how you make the top 4 in the new NBL.

/rant.

Topic #21355 | Report this topic

dave  
Years ago

Im not overly sure at this point in time, even with wins Loco, the guys are doing what they do naturally. I think guys like Herbert have a game style and are being told to do something other than natural in their games.

Agree, the years of going the hard yards to make a fight in a close game have faded away. We get a few close ones but things go our way. The refs changed their style tonight after half time so what we should have done was change our style and fight for it. Shame it didnt happen.

Cant wait for the press conference

Reply #253802 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I guess we have more questions than answers at this point. I'm not a 'knee-jerk fire the coach / tear the players a new @ss' type guy. But tonight really frustrated me.

I guess the post-Maher era / searching for a team identity was always going to sting.

It's just... wearing a Sixers singlet comes with an expectation for mine. I dunno. go down with a fight, you know?

Reply #253804 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

You're right Loco, there wasn't enough fight tonight. I think the bigger problem for this team is their inept offence though. Down 10 in the last quarter, even with 6 mins left, I never really felt we were going to bridge the gap, because we just don't have guys who knock down threes, we don't force enough TO's and we look like we have no clue how to read the defence and manipulate it to our advantage.

I think some of it is the team balance - too many drive and dish guys and too few shooters. Its also critical injury problems with Burston and Hill. We can't afford to have those guys unfit. But it starts with Ninnis getting the guys some effective offensive plays and the players executing them properly. I really hope we see something different in Cairns but I'm not holding my breath for a quick turnaround.

Reply #253816 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ word for word my sentiments.

Ng is the only pure shooter we have. With Burston sat down, no matter Ballinger's range, we just can't have him pulling up from outside; we simply don't box out well enough.

Ugh. So very frustrating.

Reply #253819 | Report this post

guernseyman  
Years ago

I agree Loco. There was no guts tonight. I really found myself missing the glory days of players like Sapwell, that would come on and just light up the court with hustle and tough plays. But we can't get down on them. Its round five and our marquee player isn't on the court.

Disappointed with Groves and Cuba Gooding Gilchrist tonight. Pass the ball boys, it's not all about you. And it's boring to watch you sulking after missing a shot.

Even the captain shook his head at gilchrist. Not a good look.

Reply #253825 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the 36ers have some problems.
penetration at the point,ng no good,b.hill no good.gilchrist on the BENCH no good.
if you want to sack an import, just give him enough rope(court time) and he will hang him self.

family on the bench will cause problems,might save money short term, but not good long term!!

Reply #253827 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Gilly was buried mentally before tip off. He's better than that.

And for anyone that argues he should have been on? Check the stats and formulate an argument. Please.

They need to forge an identity.

Reply #253830 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

I believe Gilchrist did have some kind of hand injury so that may excuse him a little. Maybe the focus shouldnt just be on just the 36ers but the entire league!!
There are guys starting in many teams who would have been 8,9 or 10 in the rosters only 5 years ago. The entire night was flat,even when we were leading there was no energy both on court or off. The games i have seen so far this season have been plain boring,take out the Ng/Groves alleyop and what else was there to get people excited. Wednesday games are tough as well and only 3919 were there tonight. It was only a couple of seasons ago you could guarentee the tigers in town would bring the biggest crowd of the season no matter what night of the week it was.
Heres hoping things improve as we all want the nbl to succeed but i think they are on a long hard road at the moment.

Reply #253835 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

... no offence man, but i missed the point of the above entirely.

Reply #253836 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Why keep talking about Burston and getting rid of the guy when the Tigers come without Anstey & Knight and still handed the sixers their ass!

This goes way deeper than lack of players.

As for penetration skull, in the first half I had to wonder who was on Hill Gilly and Groves coz they got in the pain without any hassle...

No fight comes from within...if it doesnt start with a player it comes from the sideline..

While the coaches may be able to coach, there is a shitload more to coaching than pulling plays...

Al has both, i'm still not convinced Ninnis has even one of the two!

Reply #253850 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agreew ith the lack of desperation, hunger and fight. It seems like the team is lacking an on-court leader - someone that pulls the team together and leads by example.

Reply #253852 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

My biggest concern is they offense, I don't think we played to poorly defensively, Worthington was just on fire. Why do we not do on-ball screens for gilly, groves and hill I don't understand. We ran a on-ball screen 3 times the whole game which ended in a layup, a foul and a missed open shot. The offense is designed to get guys open looks but when you are not hitting shots you need to run something else scotty.

Reply #253863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilchrist has no game apart from sooking his head wasn't in it last night. Lose the huddle before the game it was embarassing the first week. Worse coming off a 30 point loss and then the way they played last night.

No ownership of their own shortcomings. Nobody standing up Ballinger is too quiet to be captain IMO great player but not a captain.

Too many times were players forcing shots up thru bad shot selection and or great defence then were hoping the refs would bail them out with a foul. Attack the basket hard - I have seen under 10s with more desire to win they Adelaide had last night.

Crap food, Crap game, wonder why I got my season ticket I might take a walk up option next year or I may just change sports not alot to take me back if that is what is going to be on offer - worse than SOFT

Reply #253866 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol... the glory days of Sapwell! He'd be loving that quote.

I wasn't at the game, mercifully. I know what you mean though, Loco. Harden up, Sixers!

Reply #253868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dont know about the guys starting who would have been 9 or 10. Quality of polayers is still pretty high this year, but 36 of the 80 players in the league arwe at a new club - it will take time for all clubs to gel.

http://nbl.com.au/index.php?id=15&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=14101&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=cd631721c1

Reply #253874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope that huddle stops - it's just plain embarrassing. If only they put so much into playing instead of bothering with that.

Reply #253880 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

That big thing attached to the backboard is called the ring. The Ball is meant to go in it. Second half offence terrible!

Reply #253882 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I didn't mind the huddle previously (I kinda looked the other way) but it seemed so out of place after the Perth demolition.

P.S Never post after angry loss beers.

Reply #253884 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Once upon a time, melodrama aside, pulling on a Sixers uniform meant you'd have your shoulder smashed out of it's socket on an inbound pass and you'd STILL wanna fight the Tigers. You didn't get intimidated or pushed around or bullied.

Tonight?

We laid down and died."

+1 to that.

Reply #253885 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

P.S Fess, that made total sense now that the beers have worn off.

So venting of frustrations aside - where does the side go from here? What has to happen to turn it around?

Personally, I want to see Ng play more of a role... but I've been biased in that regard for about 3 years.

I think 'Tez started to come good.

How much can be attributed to Burston's absence?

In Ballinger's case, life was much easier with Luke on the other side fo the key and Brett spotting up - mroe threats for the defence to focus on.

Reply #253888 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ng on the arc and Burston in the key might give Ballinger more room to move. Right now, you'd have to give Groves and Gilchrist any longrange shots they wanted.

Reply #253900 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Sixers need to stop playing Zone Defence; and need to man up more. For the past 5 years that i've been going to home games, it seems to be the ONLY defensive play the team knows. What happened to the Breakers game, where basic man-to-man defence shut down the Breakers interior game. Why can't we play like that EVERY game; what made that game so special?

It was also evident last night that while Groves can play point, he can't run the game for the side. There was no floor leader last night and it showed with a multitude of double-teams, and players blocking one anothers passing lanes. While Gilchrist does the job when he has his mind on it, there is no proper backup point for the team.

The only good thing to come from last night was Holmes. He's proved again that he is the core of the team. The man just has a sixth sense for Rebounding and should be applauded for his efforts last night. If the team looked at getting him more jump shots, he would be a double-double man every night of the week.

Reply #253908 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with Locos thoughts about the team and its culture we have been losing that for a few years now but thought with the SOS passion it would return alas last night we showed no direction no fight or any idea how to get back in the game .
I thought our defence was as bad as our offence as Tiger players got easy offensive rebounds , drove to basket uncontested and got easy shots .
Unfortunately most of our players in this team are poor defensive wise apart from Jacob and Herbert at times.
Whilst we cant do too much about it now we have picked a wrong balanced team .
Groves although better game in parts last night we should have had a bigger stronger import with a inside prescence to allow Adam to play his natural shooting game or strong defender or have a outside shot. Unfortunately both Groves and Gilchrist only know one way to consistently score and that is drive to the basket and have no awareness of those with open shots. Once Tigers woke up to this last night we were stuffed for scoring.
Pre - season after Groves was named as our import I spoke of how a Worthington would take us to cleaners and a half fit one with average players around him did.
The only thing we can do is plonk anybody in Centre and start getting some open shots for Adam and NG.
Davo back as PG would be better than 2 imports as at least he can hit a open shot and knows how to find open players.
When Burston gets back least hopefully will put some direction back into team and help defence wise.
Brad Hill will be better for run but his game is similar to the imports.
Whilst looking into crytal ball hard to see us beating too many well coached good teams but will hang in and support SOS and hope.
Finally Jacob you probably should have been captain you were only one that tried their heart out and put their body on the line for team last night .

Reply #253911 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_defense#Advantages_of_playing_a_zone_defense

"Zones tend to be weak on the perimeter, so they are not very effective against teams with good outside shooters."

"Therefore, teams wanting to slow down the tempo of a game will often choose to play zone."

Which is exactly what baffled me last night. We're down by 12, because of the opposition hitting shots, and there's 4 minutes left.

So....we slow the game down and continue to give the opposition perimeter shots?

Reply #253912 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I agree with Bretts the man, Jacob was our only player playing with heart last night, although i love Ballinger, and he IS our best player, but im not entirely convinced he should be our captain! If you look at every little huddle we have it's Jacob Holmes who's doing all the talking. Anyway a disappointing loss lets hope we bounce back sooner rather than later...

Reply #253923 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Offence is tragic. At the start of the Fox telecast the commentators said that the 36ers are the worst 3 point shooting team in the current comp, and that was with Ng going for 70ish% from beyond the arc. There is no excuse for players to miss as many open 3's as we seem to. Groves was great a couple of seasons ago, but the 6ers uniform doesn't seem to agree with him.

We don't really have a go to player on offence at the moment. Ballinger would be the logical choice, but he's used to having the support of a Schencher or Maher, not being the sole focus of the offence. I hold my breath every time the shot clock runs down because you just know that noone wants to take that pressure shot. It's always just a prayer to beat the shot clock and Gilchrist was lucky that the Townsville final shot went down, coz he sure as hell looked like he didn't want to take it.

The 36ers have never struggled with points production before, it was always defence that we lacked. Guess there's a first time for everything.

Reply #253924 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

At least if Hood Sweeney pull out now, we're a lock in for Hoover as a major sponsor given the degree of sucktitude.

Reply #253939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did we have that much of a problem with the shot clock? It's not as though Melbourne didn't - I noticed Crosswell throw up at least three shots that he wouldn't have normally taken because the Tigers couldn't get a better shot.

Reply #253947 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Can't believe you guys zone to the degree Big Marty says.
It's easy pickings for spot up shooters. There is no accountability in defense and to top it off it is hard to get any semblance of energy out on court.
And against Melbourne it's what they want because they can pick there moment and where to attack.

Pity Gilchrist hasn't quite made the mark hoped for. He seems fragile goods at this stage and teams are backing off him and challenging his ability to hit from deep.
It looks like you've got two imports trying to do the same thing and neither doing it very well. If he can handle ball why aren't Sixers running on balls?
From what little I have seen of your offence and reading all of your posts, it looks like 5 out watching some guy with ball trying to penetrate and create.

Reply #253962 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Melbourne also had trouble structuring their offence. I think that they struggled as well as the 6ers last night, the only difference was that as much as everyone thinks that Wortho's a tool, he stood up and took responsibility for the Tigers offence in the second half. Nobody did that for us

Reply #253963 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

As i said early i don't think are defense was bad giving up 81 points in 40 minutes is alright and Wortho was on fire. Our offense was offensive, any person who as played any organised ball can see that.

Reply #253971 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

If you can get stops though it gives you the opportunity to run and the game takes on a different dimension.
Its hard pyschologically starting from under your hoop and puts some much more pressure on your half court game.
To me you zone as a change up and not for long OR you are trying to contain bigger opponents OR the opposition can't shoot from perimeter.

Reply #253973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our problem is we dont have any long range threats other than Darren Ng and we have too many players of the same ilk. This allows opposing defenses to sit off their player knowing they are unrelaibale from behind the arc. It makes us predictable and easy to defend. Sure, Balls can nail the three reliably but do we really want him out there shooting 3's all night, we need him to be the inside presence.

We have Cortez and Hill who are basically the same player?!

I suggest we swap Groves for a SF import that can shoot the 3 ball and promote Darren to the starting SG spot.

I think that would provide us with a better offensive structure....some plays from Ninnis to get these shooters open wouldnt go astray either?!?!

Reply #253983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROD GRIZZARD would be perfect in this particular team....screwed the pooch on that choice, guess it all comes down to $$$ cos if it wasnt, beveridge would be in charge!

Reply #253991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ninis

Reply #254277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754