Adelaide - are we town of fickle followers

Last week all and sundry slagging off on sixers - now we all back of the bandwagon - is it that piss ant town concept that vidmar spoke about last year are we insecure maybe we lacking confidence that the wheel will turn mate i am off adelaide united big time believe me and my magpies are dying
need sport shrinks here i reckon
now the sixers are back in town and it now championship on the horizon
come on lets keep things in reality lets support the guys and let winning take care of itself
i turning i trying to be proactive and not extreme winning is everything losing doesnt matter
support the boys that matters

Topic #21399 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

I wouldn't have understood half that post if you hadn't mentioned you were a Port Magpies supporter. But yes, I agree the last two losses did expose a few 36ers fans on here as "fickle followers".

Reply #254504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #254505 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Nope, I dont care, I know what i said after wednesday nights loss and i said it to my mates last year about Ninnis..i stand by the fact he will struggle to win a championship with any team...

the team will win games because the team is not that shit..plain and simple...

decisions makers are not up to speed...

Reply #254506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are losing their minds cos we beat up on a crap Taipans team playing their second game on consecutive nights?

Lets see how we go against the Breakers over there on Thursday before breaking out the bubbly.

Reply #254511 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Spot on the fickle pickle even if you were a bit drunk when you posted this.

Reply #254512 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

It might be fickle but I know I am much faster to throw coaches and players under the bus than I have been in the past. The reason is I'm sick of the Sixers being awful. I'm sick of them not getting it right.

Since the last championship way back in 2002, the Sixers have endured the longest, most pointless and least productive era in club history.

I'm tired of it and I'm quick to jump on poor, soulless, incompetent performances.

I'm quicker to judge imports than I have in the past because I'm tired of the Sixers marching out at least one below par import every year.

I'm quicker to judge the coaching because I just don't see championship quality talent on the sidelines.

I'm quicker to judge ownership because I've seen it change hands with no/few improvement in team quality, production quality and attendance.

I'm very much a fickle Sixers fan. I didn't used to be though.

Reply #254514 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would say 36er supporters are just passionate about their team...when things don't go right, you want answers and action. When things do go right, everyone is happy...

Reply #254515 | Report this post

i wasnt drunk but grammer not my strong point -
jay jay i with you - want some glory badly
want group to look thev real deal not a fritz sandwich i want salami hot hot hot

Reply #254516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not just Adelaide. Before the Wildcats beat the 36ers, Perth fans were talking about ditching Lisch, bringing in imports, etc.

Reply #254518 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO everything that was said last week about the team and in particularly was accurate. Playing an average team after they played the night before is fairly relevant. Let's see what happens in the Land of the Long White Cloud on Thursday and then an accurate assessment can possibly be made on where the 36ers stand in the NBL. I think it might be a cold night in NZ for Adelaide fans. I am lucky enough to have Foxtel so I can watch the game and either cheer the 36ers on or grimace at what is happening. My only hope is that they put up a good fight and not wave the white flag. If they do not prevail then I also hope that Scott comes out and accepts some of the responsibility for what is happening with the team.

Reply #254520 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Not all of us were bagging the crap out of them either - there we plenty that were in support of the team. But there is a difference between being a passionate fan, and some of the stuff that was going on here last week.

At least no-one's thrown a beach ball on the court which has deflected the ball into the basket to win the game!

Reply #254523 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

I thought about this topic on the way into work and came up with something. These are the three things that need to happen before I'd be likely to start feeling optimistic about the Sixers.

1) Win 7-8 games in a row.
2) Spend a considerable amount of time above .500
3) Win a playoff series.

Its been four years since the Sixers won more than 3 games in a row. In that time, they've managed to win more than 2 games in a row once. Once!

To top that off, in the last 4 years the Sixers have played a total of 9 games where they started the game above .500. Think about that for a minute. 9 games in 4 years that they walked on the floor with more wins than loses on the board.

The last time the Sixers won a playoff series was the 2002 Grand Final. This boggles the mind. They have not advanced in the playoffs once in 7 full seasons!

My faith isn't going to be restored by thrashing a pretty awful Taipans team. Beating the Breakers in New Zealand would be good but that won't be enough either. It isn't going to swing on one good round here, an average round there, an awful round here. It will take something a little more consistent and sustained before I consider myself unfickled.

Yeah, I'm still going to go to all the games. Why? Because I want to be there when this thing finally turns around. It will be awesome. But I don't see any great signs that this is the team that will do it.

Reply #254531 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think most comments related to 'Someone needs to save our sixers' by Boti Nagy, where he wote about the 2 bad games,coaches,Gilchrist's behavour,starting line up, game style-offense and defense, unlikely to win in Cairns and NZ - changes needed and the like.

Reply #254533 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Personally, I find the 37 point road win just as baffling as the 11 point home loss. NZ will be the measuring stick IMHO - if we lose, I hope there are at least some positives to take out of it.

So, I feel just as I did after Wednesdays game and will do so until we see some consistency. Huge blowout wins are nice but if you're losing at home to depleted teams, there are obviously issues that need addressing.

Reply #254534 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

+1 to the 'Let's see how they handle NZ' sentiments.

We all love the Sixers - which as Jay-Jay pointed out, is why we're so frustrated at times (more so after reading those stats...).

Reply #254540 | Report this post

30 Rock  
Years ago

I think Ninnis is now starting to realise with a new team who works well together and what tempo to play.
judging from the weekend he now knows Hill is ready to step up and run n gun suits...so will be interesting to see how we go against N.Z who have a bunch of athletes.

Reply #254541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he knew Hill was capable, but remember that Hill has been battling an ankle injury and had acupuncture just prior to the Melbourne game in order to play. Burston also does well as a centre in the running game, just needs to get through the hand injury.

Reply #254542 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

And if anyone saw Melb play Perth last night, they are better than I gave them credit for.

Reply #254544 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Boti writes to provoke and to ellicit reaction, because that's his job, .

Melbourne can be a good team. I believe they were at their limit vs Perth(40+ % from 3 land is not their norm)and Worthington was at his limit vs Sixers earlier in week.
I have to say in your team's defense, Gilchrist was held when he went behind the back and he might have got the call if he hadn't given up on the play, and I would have called a foul on Worthington when he stole the ball off Holmes under basket. To me those slaps at the ball in those situations are automatic. Those two plays were momentum turners in a game and can't be underestimated. But you have to play through them and get on with it.
Once they pinched that break though Melbourne milked the clock and your guys had to play catch up.
Exactly where the Sixers are, will unfold in the next few weeks. Some will be right but a lot more will be wrong.
You've got additional pressures to contend with there, a sucessful history, ardent fans, plenty of experts etc, etc.
Can't wait for Thursday though.

Reply #254551 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I like the Silver Fox high fiving when we win...
Not sure that I want that when we lose.
Some go down the airport to clap the Crows when they lose - I think players would rather they didn't.

Reply #254552 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Bill, I disagree that Boti's job is to ellicit a reaction from the team! If the players are conccerned with reading half the crap he writes then they're not worrying about what they're paid to do. Boti's job is to report on the actual game (which quite often if you didn't know basketball his articles would not make sense) and to write editorials on his view about the team and their performance. The problem is that Boti writes in hope to get a reaction from the team and this is certainly not the job of a good journalist.

Reply #254563 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Sorry Marg,
I don't believe Boti is looking for a reaction from the team, he is writing more I think for the public and commenting on the state of the team, and how fans view them.

Reply #254565 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Bill is right Botis articles are a reflection of the general publics opinions of the sixers while mixing in a bit of knowledge of the game and putting it all into context in reagrds to the league and the past! the reflection of the public opinion is clearly seen in just how similar his articles are to the general comments made on this forum! (or maybe he gets his good material from here!!) nobody cares what the players read in fact i hope they are too professional to worry about what is written however the articles do appeal to the fans and fire them up over performances which maintains high interest levels in the team!! all publicity is good publicity!!

Reply #254566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, THIS TEAM WOULD WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP WITH JULIUS HODGE NO MATTER HOW BAD THE COACH AND HIS COUNTERPART IMPORT IS.

Reply #254581 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

The other thing I notice about Boti is that he highlights all that is wrong with the team (this forum does just that just as well) but rarely does he offer solutions to those problems.
He was interviewed at halftime of the Melbourne game and offered guarded endosement of the team's chances in the second half??
There was his opportunity to stick the boot in if he wanted to.
This forum at least has a go at solutions and people offer up reasons how and why thay may not work.

Reply #254588 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, THIS TEAM WOULD WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP WITH JULIUS HODGE NO MATTER HOW BAD THE COACH AND HIS COUNTERPART IMPORT IS."

UNLESS HE DECIDES TO LEAVE RIGHT BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS.

Reply #254590 | Report this post

Nix 27  
Years ago

not sure if tone indicating boti is fickle - i suggest he very much on the money and tends to be conservative with his expectations and if any think critical to the point of being outspoken

Reply #254597 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jay-Jay Manners, love your work. I would sign my name also to a document that read what you have written. I too won't give up on the team and will be their through thick and thin waiting for the final reward.

Reply #254604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would hodge help???
how would he help???

Last time he was here there was some pay dispute which he conducted, which threw the team into dis-array..

Thats just a reminder of what he did.

Also cause of this we ended up changing imports at the most vitle point of the season

Reply #254607 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It's nice to have a choice to be fickle or not to be fickle. Six months ago I nearly didn't have a choice.

I'm not fickle because I'm still supporting a team I have loved supporting for some 24 years, through good times and bad and there has never been another team.

Fans of the Bullets, Kings, Razorback/Spirit, Magic/Titans/Giants/Saints/Spectres/Dragons, Supercats, Cannons, Devils, Pirates, Slingers....I imagine the fans of those NBL teams are fickle and probably not by choice.

Reply #254616 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Fickle team performances tend to elicit strong responses from their fans.

If the team could put consistent effort and application to all of their games, win, lose or draw the fans would be far more satisfied.

I would prefer a season with all close games (win or lose) and no 37 point wins, than another losing season where we have a half a dozen truly embarrassing losses.

Fickle? I think not. This team has a lot to prove to show that second half swings to Townsville (28 points) and Melbourne (23 points), and 30 point shellacking to Perth are excusable.

Reply #254652 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

No we're not fickle. We applaud good play and effort, but don't accept mediocrity. Gilchrist's game against Perth was full of "hands on the hips, take my toys and go home" stuff. Last game was better.
We need players who are mentally tough and who keep trying when things don't go their way. That's Gilchrist's challenge for the season.

Reply #254715 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Gilchrist's game against Perth was full of "hands on the hips, take my toys and go home" stuff. Last game was better."

Agreed 100%. That's not fickle, that's not liking crap play.

Reply #254790 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's not what's being contested though. It's the "we lost a couple, talk of sackings" thing. The Cats had a road loss and Perth fans were saying their backcourt was terrible and had to be replaced. Next thing you know that same backcourt has strangled the Adelaide imports en route to a big win, and the next game Lisch has dominated the fourth to carry the Cats over the Tigers.

Now, obviously NBL fans don't like sulking a whole lot (and the imports that have lasted are those that don't - Dave Thomas is a good example) and Gilchrist has definitely been told to just play the game and give 100%, but the guy went from hero even in the Cairns loss (near TD, etc), to liked after a couple of home wins, to slammed because of two average games.

That's the issue.

Reply #254794 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I didn't really see any "being slammed" comments, more ones about him spitting it after the Perth game. I also watched the game against Melbourne, and Gilchrist was playing like a sook, complaining about no calls, poor body language. As Boti wrote (and you also Isaac), Aussie supporters don't stand for that crap.

He seems like a good fit when switched on, so hopefully Scottie has had a word to him, and we will see his best for the whole season.

Reply #254797 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754