skull
Years ago

NBL schedule was a bit rough for Cairns

i was at the 36ers v taipans on sat night,what a shocker by cairns.
i suppose when an opposing team scores 62 points in 20 minutes,you are always going to be in trouble!!

hill was impressive early,his length caused huge problems for cairns,great slashing to the basket.

cairns had a 10 day lay off,then three games in 6 days(includes this wed)
nobody wants 10 days off or 2 games in a row.

having not played for that long they should have at least been given a home game(for the fans)first up,and then travelled.

oh well......tough game coming up on wednesday in the land of the gongers.......bit of a worry actually.

Topic #21403 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

They have the busiest 1st half of the season of any team by a mile. Would help them if they made the playoffs, but obviously I doubt they will.

Reply #254595 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Gold Coast just finished a punishing schedule of games, Melbourne and Cairns are in the middle of theirs.
Every team has to endure this a couple of times in the season to fit the games.
Physically I think players are up to it. Mentally I guess they get worn down, especially if they are not winning its a double hurdle.
At this stage though, there are upsets aplenty and Hawks are narrowly in front (yet to go on big road trip), but no one is out the back door either.
Melbourne are the best performed last placed team this league has ever seen.

Reply #254596 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

not sure what the biggest margin was in the cairns game but interesting to note that at one point Townsville trailed Wollongong by 30+ I think and they had no excuses.... and similarly Adelaide's outing at Perth.

Bill's right. So much of this is about mental preparation.

Obviously's he's not right about the best last placed team ......wasn't that the Geelong side circa 1988 or something? :-)

Reply #254598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have a bad run in january, sun 10th home wed 13th home fri 15th gold coast sat 16th melbourne 4 games in a week, thats going to be tough for the guys

Reply #254601 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

melbourne,whilst they didnt win,showed what it takes to 'stay in' a game when you are under the pump.
there were times in that game where perth looked like they were going to blow it out,but couldn't.
that venue was sold out 3 days before the game,with a loud boistrous crowd,really was a credit to tigers to stay in it with there injury woes.

what i saw on saturday night,was the 36ers getting a whiff,very,very early,they zeroed in on the jugular.
it clearly effected cairns confidence from then on.
no fightback.....rolled over!!

is it the newish coaches in the league,not preparing their teams??
(ie-the turn up to every game with a loaded gun theory)

was the 36er v perth blowout similar? (all over in the first 15min)

bill - i understand they have to fit the games in, but where does that put the 10 days prior without a game?

Reply #254613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the Wildcats/36ers game was clearly over halfway through the 2nd quarter. By half-time the lead was 20,21 points too.

Reply #254623 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

who cares... it's Cairns ;)

Reply #254632 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

Yes it is tough but they are all professional athletes and should be able to cope.

Cairns was outplayed very well against the Sixers although Melzer tried hard to get some respect back. Too little, too late though.

Reply #254633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754