LC
Years ago

Delonte West in trouble again

Cleveland Cavalier shooting guard Delonte West has experienced many low points during the off-season, and he once again finds himself in trouble.

Already facing misdemeanor weapons possession charges stemming from a September arrest in Maryland, combined with personal issues that may be assoauited with his bipolar disorder, he is now facing new charges of domestic violence against his wife.

NBA: http://linky.com.au/48wxi

In the report, she says that Delonte West had accused her of cheating on him and that they had argument in which he grabbed her and took her wedding ring and purse.

Is this guy is on a downward spiral or what? He needs some serious help and fast!

Topic #21416 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

He grabbed her? OMG he is the new Ted Bundy.

Big deal, it is hardly domestic violence.

Reply #254684 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That's the story from the coach, it may be a little more than that...

Reply #254686 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

It's the report she filed with the police. If she is filing a report because he grabbed her, then throws in the added extra that he took her purse and ring, I question her motives.

Reply #254689 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TC2, what motives? She's married to the guy. It's not like she is going to get richer by filing a domestic violence report! In fact, these charges could get Delonte suspended and jeopardise his future in the league, thereby severely reducing his future earning potential and by extension, her own income!

I'd say given his past history of depression, bipolar disorder and his comments about needing to protect himself from people when he was pulled over with all those guns, it is far more likely that he was having some sort of paranoid episode, got angry and frightened the crap out of his wife! Hence she went to the police because she feared for her safety.

Its a very sad situation, because it looks to me like Delonte's mental issues are going to at least put him out of action for this season and could end up destroying his career, not to mention his marriage.

Reply #254704 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

The motives of pretending there was a serious violent situation because she wanted her money and ring back.

Reply #254721 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

She'll get plenty of money staying married to the guy though right? Unless she somehow has some kick ass job, I'm guessing Delonte's the main breadwinner in that household!

You gotta admit, Delonte seems a candidate for acting a little crazy right now and what woman wouldn't be scared by an angry, powerful 6'3 athlete?

Anyway, he hasn't been charged yet. The article called it a 'report'. Which I guess means that the police have officially noted the incident so it can be used in future if necessary.

Hopefully this sends up enough red flags for Delonte to get serious help so he can get his life back on track. I love how hard he plays and his ability to pull off the improbable (I still remember his block on Eddy Curry 2-3 years back) so it would be sad to see his career end so early.

Reply #254724 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with Beantown...the guy needs to put his life back together and I struggle to see how him playing this season is going to help him get back on track.

Reply #254734 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

She married him, had to know he had some issues. I dont believe anyone that says otherwise. This should have been a police visit and warning, this whole domestic violence on men is crap lately. If she had done the same thing to him, or slapped him nothing would have been said.

Just look at the adverst on TV and the radio about it, not one woman abusing a guy...Yet the worst killer we have locked up in Adelaide prisons in a chickie babe.

Reply #254741 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Skud, yes she married him, but if he goes off the rails does it mean she should continue to sweep things under the carpet and hope they get better? The best thing for her and him is to get intervention now before things get worse.

Also, you say this should have just been a police visit and warning, well that is basically what happened. The article said that she met with police (it just wasn't at home) and that a 'report' has been filed on the incident. He has not been charged yet, which suggests to me that she is taking precautions, but does not want to bring down the full force of the law on Delonte if she can help it.

The problems Delonte has been reported to have over the past couple of years (bipolar/ depression/ paranoia) do tend to lead to the breakdown of trust in relationships and sometimes violence of one form or another. So you've got to admit that there's a reasonable chance that she is not over-reacting.

I do agree with you that there sometimes appears to be an excessive focus on men as the sole perpetrators of domestic violence. I think that the stats might show that major physical violence is more commonly perpetrated by the male, but I do think it is a mistake to only look at the physical violence in a relationship.

I suspect that quite often there is a lot of verbal and psychological abuse going on in relationships before it gets to physical violence and that women are just as capable of using that sort of weapon as men are.

However it shakes out, I believe that in most cases there is some fault on both sides. That doesn't mean that physical violence is acceptable but it is valuable to try to understand the things that led to that violence.

Either way, I've seen what my friend has been through over the past two years dealing with accusations of domestic violence, a restraining order and being denied access to his kids and its pretty horrible (for both him and his ex-wife).

They will have pretty much kissed goodbye to two to three years of their lives and probably over $140k between them before the whole legal process is resolved.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Reply #254754 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West was indicted Tuesday on additional weapons and traffic charges stemming from his Sept. 17 arrest for speeding on a motorcycle and carrying multiple weapons.

ESPN: http://linky.com.au/dy828

Apparently Westv faces upt o 18 years 'jail' time for the charges...however Maryland is apparently lenient on first time offenders.

Reply #255741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:35 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754