Ron T
Years ago

36ers result in NZ

How can a proffesional player payed good money miss a layup with no pressure on the shot? It cost us the game after a good fightback
Groves has got to go if we are to succeed

Topic #21444 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could say the same about Hill.. if he had got both free throws we would have won.. if we were not down by so much at half time our third quarter would have given us a greater lead... the list goes on and on. At least we made a game of it

Reply #255048 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Thanks for the spoiler. No need to watch online tomorrow!

WEEEEEEEE!

Reply #255050 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm as dissappointed as the next fan, but there were many missed shots over the course of the game. Pinning it on 'Tez ain't fair.

We wouldn't have gotten to OT if he and Holmes hadn't stepped up.

We also would have one if we played 4 qtrs, not just 2.

Reply #255051 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

kad - the title read "Sixers Result in NZ". Why click if you're planning to watch a delayed telecast?

Reply #255052 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lol why would you even come on Hoops at all if you didn't know?

anon, don't like the Hill comparison. Making 1/2 free throws isn't quite as bad as missing the easiest shot in basketball to seal the game. Tez had a shocker, not just that miss, but he shot 1/11. I'm not quite calling for his head yet but that was a terrible performance and that miss did cost us the game today.

Reply #255054 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

cortez groves is flat out terrible. cant shoot, cant pass, cant even make a layup, that even isaac could have made. and he is the worst defender the 36rs have
i hate the 36rs so i hope you guys keep him ,

Reply #255060 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Tez cost us the game no doubt, but other players came into it also. Balls retreated behind the 3pt line on CJ's last shoe, they needed 3 why give him an uncontested look protecting a 2? Cant blame Hill, missed FT's are apart of the game. I blame Ninnis for keeping Tez on so long when clearly having a shocker. Why bench Gilchrist the against the Tigers for playing poor and stick with Tez tonight?

The problem with Tez is if he is going on for a 1 of 11 game, surely he should realise its not his night and try other ways to be productive. When Tez misses a few, he begins taking more difficult shots. He doesnt care that he is harming the team, and he gets his head so far up his own ass he only cares about his own performance. You called Gilchrist a sook, but think Gorves would have missed that if he was not sooking inside? Just because Tez hides his emotions, he is a selfish player who beats his own team rather than opposition these days.

Oh and for his athletism or lack there of, ive seen 1 dunk this season from him. So anybody who thinks this Tez even remotely resembles the one we saw in the gong needs to get off the drugs.

Reply #255067 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Cortez should have been pulled for Ng.

Reply #255074 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Just replayed it again lol trying to figure this out. He seemed to be completely unprepared for the start of play after that timeout. He was standing at the 3pt line adjusting his shooting sleeve even once play had started and Pitbull had the ball, rather than moving towards the basket.

Reply #255075 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Regret unable to see the game - seems like Groves 35mins and Ng only 10mins..... shouldn't have been that, as some have mentioned above.

Reply #255076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is, Issac only makes passes not lay-ups BBfan.................

Reply #255077 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

IMO Groves wanted to dunk the ball but changed his mind at the last minute and tried to run the clock down. He just looks like a player who has lost all his confidence at the moment and unless he gets it back his days are numbered

Reply #255079 | Report this post

Nix 27  
Years ago

come on guys had a blinder 3rd quarter why cant we play whole game seriously we didnt sdeservev to win but the team got back into the game and game themselves a chance and blow it

i just not sure what to make of this group
why didnt we run vclock down we had possession in front and ninnis weants guys crashing the boards - we just had to hold the ball they wee ging to foul game over but no we find as way to lose i am staggered i see i dont believe it

Reply #255080 | Report this post

sharpeshooter  
Years ago

Lets be honest if the boys had of played a little harder in the second quarter and got down by 16 at half time ... the result may have been a little different ... besides not one of you guys can tell me that you've never missed a lay up or free throw ... and sure they are pro's and shouldnt miss them but dont forget they are also human ...

Reply #255084 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I have never missed an uncontested layup in a game situation. There.

Reply #255085 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Maybe you can play for the 6ers then XztatiK

Reply #255087 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Inject me with 22 seconds left to make a layup. No worries ;)

Reply #255088 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Why didn't we foul CJ at half court, send him to the line for FT's, worst case scenario, he makes a three point play of it, and we end up in the same situation that we did. You never want to let CJ take a clutch 3, he's just too good at pulling through under pressure like that.

Reply #255092 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Because we aren't a clutch team and we have no on court leader since Maher retired.

Reply #255097 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Good call Hems, think they were a bit scared of giving an unsportsmanlike. Or they were just wondering how Tez missed that layup.

Reply #255099 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

If I were a Sixers supporter I'd be more looking at how you got down so big early on and what a great job it was too come back from 20 down in only ten minutes. The end game stuff is really touch and go. Sometimes you get them somethimes you dont

Reply #255102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We wouldn't have gotten to OT if he and Holmes hadn't stepped up"

Loco are you on drugs? Groves was terrible, blew what would've been the game sealing lay up and shot 1-11 from the field.

Reply #255105 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Pretty dismal performance by Breakers. Got lucky to force OT.
Too much focus on 3's (18%) and seemed to be our only option down stretch.
Hard to understand because Sixers could not seem to stop drives to basket or postups. So I can't believe we let Sixers back into it.Especially when they carrying Groves as passenger.
Gilchrist stats were better than I thought however he is definitely not the guy I would want with the ball and the game on the line.
Hill looked nice and controlled.
Ballinger steady but unable to impose himself.
Unfortunate for you Sixers fans. You should have and probably deserved to pinch this one.

Reply #255106 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The missed layup was a shocker and I'm sure Cortez will be beating himself up over that one.
Hopefully it fires him up for the next game to make ammends.

Whilst Cortez did have a shocker at least he kept trying to create and move, so many times we had no offensive movement and almost as if everyone was scared to shoot and drive!

After the first half we didn't deserve to win that game even with an AWESOME third quarter. The CJ three you could sense it was going to go in, but I don't agree with fouling earlier and giving them potentially 2 freebies and still time on the clock.

Seen it before and the opposition foul you back u miss 1 FT than all of a sudden it's only a two point game - granted less time on the clock but a two point game to defend is always tough.

It was a HUGE three! BTW was something up with Forman? I didn't think he played 19mins but the box score says so, very little impact last night - although that ALLEY was very nice indeed! Normally he has big games against us. Abbercombie is def a player to watch!

Happy with the second half response after a shocking start, plenty of positives, disappointed we didn't win when we had the chances.

Reply #255107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide gave up dunk after dunk in the first half. I counted seven NZ dunks in the first half. How many times was a Breaker left wide open inside? Or did CJ get past his defender, then past Ballinger and find an easy layup beyond that?

Another problem: down 93-87, why was Gilchrist driving again for two? Ballinger was camped on the arc completely open and begging for the ball. Same situation came about in the Tigers game when we needed threes to win and Gilchrist drove. He had a solid game, but I do wonder if he's padding stats at the end or if going for twos is team strategy for some reason?

Harsh to pin a loss on Groves missing a lay-up (it looked like his path to the basket was pretty rough to me), but I did wonder why Ng wasn't out there until right at the end.

So many times in the first half, good Adelaide shots rimmed out - couldn't believe the luck.

Thought the 36ers did their best when they were doubling Rickert, though Bruton was only going to stay cold from long range for so long.

Reply #255108 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

6 Dunks in the second qtr in the space of 3 or 4 minutes!!

Reply #255110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I take it the shooting sleeve isn't working for Cortez - he wears 2 of them and still can' thit a shot.

Reply #255117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great im copping the same crap at work after another mysterious 6ers loss! This team is getting hard to defend! Take the plunge, cut groves or gilchruist and bring in a marquee player ala Donta Smith

Reply #255123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said in the other thread, the ball should have been held up, run as much time off the clock before getting fould then make free throws. Scoring a two stops the clock.

If Ninnis instructed the players to hold the ball up, then it's not his fault. If he didn't, in my opinion that's a pretty basic tactical mistake to make.

Anyone who says "if you have a lay-up, why jot take it?" - in case you miss - refer Adelaide 36ers v NZ Breakers, Fri 29 Oct, 2009.

Reply #255124 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Can I ask when CJ was coming down ... was their someone in the corner that Holmes had to guard ... if not why was he backing away?

How bad was the directing of that - everytime someone scored they showed a close up of that person and /or the crowd for a minimum of 3 seconds ... everytime. I want to watch action ... not see Tony Ronaldson fat face!

Reply #255125 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

^^^^^^

that's my comment, btw.

Reply #255127 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

SVD - not sure why, but no one pulled up the ball at all. CJ dribbled in a straight line to the 45 on the 3 point line, set his feet and hit the three. Ballinger didn't even have his hands straight up.

Still a very tough shot, but by no means a prayer. Should have fould him on the grpound at half court.

Reply #255128 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Granted I very rarely watch sixer games.

Some observations from last nights game:

Gilchrist holds onto the ball for way to long whilst starting the offence. Needs to distribute the ball sooner & get others involved.

Ballinger is money. Get him more looks.

Sixers transition defence sucks balls. For a team that has alot of guards they have no excuse not to get back on D.

Groves is a liabilty both on offence & defence. To much one on one, watch him in the offence, doesnt set picks, seems to be concerned about himself only. (Gilchrist isnt much better)

Hill's turnover down the strecth of the 4th (always does a backspin?)- Combined with his missed free throws were more costly than Cortez missed layup!

CJ should have been fouled prior to launching the 3 (that's under 18 stuff)

Finally, replace Groves with a big and start NG!!!

Reply #255137 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"Loco are you on drugs? Groves was terrible, blew what would've been the game sealing lay up and shot 1-11 from the field. "

Dear Anon,

I can neither confirm nor deny my recreation habits. The time I spend with Ken Cole is my own personal business.

P.S It was wine.

Reply #255138 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Holmes stayed in the corner as Forman was spotting up in the corner on CJ's shot.

Reply #255139 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im not sure how marquee Donta Smith would be if he had to be the main offensive focus of a team. Great as a complementary player who can pick his spots.

Groves last two games were very good, but he cant be as bad as he was last night too often. Does need to be utilised better in the offence though. The was it is set up it is either a score, assist or nothing from him at the moment.

Reply #255141 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

There were 5 mistakes made in that last 22 seconds ...

1. Cortez should have pulled the ball out instead od going for the layup - in case he missed the layup. NZ would have had to foul. Even if Cortez missed both FT's it is harder to score quickly off missed FTs than of a missed layup.

2. Cortez missed the layup.

3. They didn't stop the quick score after the missed layup.

4. Hill missed a FT. In itself not that bad - but why was he on and not Ng who I would guess is a better FT shooter. *

*Did we not have a timeout ... would have been a good time to call one and get on FT shooters.

5. Balls and Holmes not stepping up on CJ's 3 ... no idea why Holmes was backing away to the corner (still not sure if their was a shooter there).

Sorry if I have covered others thoughts.

Reply #255143 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Sorry missed vanexel31 post re Holmes sagging off CJ

How is CJ running the ball that quickly up off a made FT any way ... AHHHH! Still mad!

What confounded it for me is I had my Mrs sister saying "why are you so upset it is only a game". Nothing worse you could say in that situation to a passionate supporter.

If it is only a game why do they keep f'n score!

Reply #255144 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ That's why I watched solo at home!

All good points re: the last 22 seconds. Incredibly frustrating.

Reply #255146 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Didn't see the game, maybe that was good, but it sounds like the 3rd was worth watching.

I hear everyone's pain about it being a frustrating loss. But, the way I see it, that was the best kind of loss to have. Play like crap (team knows they have to do better and have things they can work on), then mount a huge comeback (gives the team confidence they can score at will when they try harder), then lose because of some bad mistakes down the stretch of the 4th (team will remain hungry and not get complacent).

The only real concerns are how to stop capitulating like in the first half, and finding someone with the basketball smarts to control the play competently in the last minute.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen as many huge momentum swings in games in one season of basketball as we have seen in the first 6 rounds of this one?

Reply #255147 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lack of consistency is rthe thing. Enough talent there, but Groves, Gilchrist, Ballinger and most of the team have been up and down. Somewhere in the middle on a consistent basis would be good.

I wonder how much of it is structure - they dont seem to get many cheap baskets.

Reply #255151 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would add that they shouldnt be waiting to be well behind before they up the instensity defensively. Look good when they are forcing turnovers and running.

Reply #255152 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Anybody with the name of Cortez has to be looked at carefully.

Reply #255156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng injured himself in the Cairns win and has barely trained all week severely limiting his impact and minutes last night.

Reply #255164 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"why are you so upset it is only a game".

I HATE THAT!

thedoctor, see mine and Beantown's replies in the other thread.

Also, I can confirm what vanexel said about Holmes covering Forman in the corner, but Balls had no excuse.

Reply #255171 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

XztatiK - question - did we have another time-out left after Cortez missed and Ambercrombie (?) scored?

If so - unacceptable to not have Ng in the game

Reply #255177 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Not sure SVD. If so, yes obviously we should've used it, if not, even then I think we should've tried harder to get it into Ballinger's hands.

Reply #255180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Ng who was a bit injured, hadn't trained heaps, and was scoreless in the game to that point? Though I guess Groves had a possibly fractured cheekbone and wasn't exactly lighting it up either!

Reply #255182 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I like that my team won, wasn't pretty and I pulled some hair out but they got it done, and without Penney.
Cortez Groves does suck, keep him lol

Reply #255183 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Isaac - didn't know Ng was injured but still a good FT shooter is a good FT shooter.

Anyways - Cortez shouldn't have taken the lay-up ... and cos he stupidly did he should have made it.

[SVD drops to knees and screams to the heavans] "CORRRR-TEZZZZZZ!"

Reply #255185 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm going to be petty cos of that attack Mystro cos I'm still hurting ... so I will say to you ... Have you cheap victory and I will take solace in the 4 championship banners that are hanging @ The Powerhouse/Dome.

How many have you got?

Reply #255187 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ohnoeyoudinnit!

Fight! Fight!

Reply #255189 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

nice call SVD gotta respect that,

Reply #255234 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754