Loco
Years ago

Sixers Psychology

Hoops Peoples,

I'm wondering if this is my pessimistic side shining through, so help me out and tell me if it's only me.

Come clutch time in a Sixer's game, I find myself, without fail, thinking "please don't screw up" at best and "I wonder how we'll blow it this time?" at worst - especially any sort of lead.

(For those around during the series of heartbreakers during the Butch Hays era, you too may have been irrevocably scared).

For me, it really came to light when Gilchrist hit the jumper to win the Crocs game. It seemed like no one in red wanted the ball when it came to game winner time.

As Boti wrote, Gilchrist was tentative on a shot that rolled around and eventually dropped on a decent roll. To be honest, he seemed more surprised initially than elated.

For me, last night was another glaring example against the Breakers. Compare the composure of a CJ Bruton vs. the numerous clutch time mistakes the Sixers managed to commit to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Maybe it's a post-Maher leadership / identity thing. Maybe it's a new unit etc. But even as individuals, with the possible exception of Ballinger, I don't see anyone saying "I got this".

Cortez's mistakes have been well documented, as has Gilchrist's temperament. Holmes is a solid worker, but I don't see him as a game winner. Smae goes for Herbert. Likewise, I don't see Burston stepping into that role.

Seems to me the only options as it stands are Ng and Hill? Hill just isn't ready.

Which with our current roster means Ng needs to see the ball down the stretch:

a) At the end of a structured offence to get him a decent look,

or

b) Play fails and he distributes to Ballinger (as he did against the Crocs).

Thoughts?

Topic #21450 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"a) At the end of a structured offence to get him a decent look,

or

b) Play fails and he distributes to Ballinger (as he did against the Crocs)."

Like a game of chess

Reply #255186 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Calling a time out and running a structured offence is like a game of chess?

Time for NBA coaches to review their career choices apparently...

Reply #255188 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Game 2 1998 NBL Finals.

KB wanted the ball on the final possession.
He didn't hesitate.
And you knew it was going in.
I miss the swagger of that team.

I think there will be a hangover period from Maher's retirement. He meant so much to the identity of our team.
Time is needed for this team to sync and find its own identity. Unfortunately, this season, with teams so evenly matched, we may run out of time.

But I am going to stay optimistic.

Reply #255190 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Game 2 1998 NBL Finals.
*sigh*
Good times.

It's the Rob Rose (you knew the reference was coming) type attitude that I miss. Do anything and everything to win... and scream for the ball when the game is on the line 'cause you believe you'll hit that shot.

D-Mac and Ricky Grace had the same air about them for mine.

Reply #255191 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

I've only seen a couple of Sixers games, but one thig I can not understand is Ballinger is open 15-20 ft out, his hands are up looking for the ball and team mates ignore him. He is a face the basket shooter, he needs the ball and he needs to be taking way more than his 12 to 15 shots he is currently getting. I think he's basically a small forward, and needs to get touches regularly.

I know the guy with the ball thinks maybe its early in the offence and we better setup, but I don't think you are going to get a better shot than Ballinger wide open at any time in your offence. To me his team mates freeze him out. He gets anxious.

Your half court game is woeful anyway so you've got to take advantage of speeding the game up, whenever you can.
When play got a little loose the other night your guys were at their best. When its setup half court, tough it out defense you're at worst.
Your team would have the lowest conversion rate with the shot clock winding down, and as someone has already mentioned you get no easy baskets so you're always under pressure.
I like Hill if he could add passing off to his repertoire he could be effective.
I don't like Gilchrist with ball ( he doesn't inspire me to think he's going to deliver safely and make smart decisions) although his shooting has picked up.
I haven't seen enough of Ng.
Defensively though you conceed too many easy baskets. That was embarassing in 2nd quarter. Another problem to solve.

Reply #255192 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

Bit hard for Ng to score when he's on the bench near the end of the game. While Hill no doubt has talent and the potential to be a good player he's also often a liability with his brain farts. I think last night the sixers would have been better running Ng as a third guard. Of course the issue with that lineup is no one to guard NZ's small forward given Groves is a small 2 guard but i'd rather face that issue than have Hill throw it away due to trying to do to much or just not thinking.

Reply #255193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean game 1 surely of the '98 series?? game 2 was a sweet 28point blow out!

And yeah this 6ers team is full of role players, some just more comfortable in the role, but NONE willing to be the man when needed. SOS have to think this roster through before the season is lost, and as it stands it will be lost. I honestly wish them well with the next few decisions they have to make

Reply #255194 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I remember when we had the two most clutch players in the league, Maher and Farley, good times.

Bill agree with you on most of that, good post, but I did scream at the TV when the Maori TV guy called Balls a SF last night so I guess I should say something here. He's certainly a fantastic mid-range shooter and a lot of his points come from that side of his game, but I think you're underrating his power game. He is a terrific back-to-basket player as well, has a nice variety of post moves.

Reply #255195 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Sorry Bill, don't mean to make a habit of picking up petty things in your posts ;)

Reply #255196 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ch9 news will interview Cortez Groves re
'a simple lay up that could've cost the 36ers the game

Reply #255197 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Loco,
You raise some good points. This is the worst time for a Mahersy hangover, yet it's what we've got.

I say if we think not having a clutch player is an issue, then we better bloody get one or develop one ASAP.

Reply #255198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will be curious to see what Maher has to say about that game & Cortez Groves on Inside The Game tonight.

Reply #255199 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Seems to me the only options as it stands are Ng and Hill? Hill just isn't ready."

IMO Hill will be the guy, he just needs court time to build experience.

CJ is clutch under pressure, and that is where we need to get Hill to, but it will take time. I'm sure CJ used to make a lot of boneheaded plays when he was younger, but he has learnt from experience. So will our guys in time. We're just gonna have to take our lumps this season. I still think we make the finals though.

Reply #255200 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Not being a great outside shooter might stop Hill from being 'that guy'. Personally I'm confident with the ball in Gilchrist's hands at the end of games right now.

Reply #255201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not comfortable with that option at all. To short to go over the top, to predictable with his slow moves to go around.

Reply #255202 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I've been trying really hard to be confident in Gilchrist come clutch, but I gotta say, it's just not happening at the moment.

I agree Hill has potential to be 'the guy' down the track, but as XztatiK mentioned, his range comes into question when an opposition D clamps down on the dribble penetration.

As someone else mentioned, perhaps in Maher's wake, now wasn't the time to cut Davidson.

Reply #255204 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

P.S Cheers for the "Inside the Game" heads up. Literally saw it and logged on at 6.00pm.

Reply #255205 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

No probs Xztatik, Ballinger is a finesse player.
Don't see him as a banger.
He's got good post up moves (his jump hook is as good as any) but he has to have room to put it on floor and wheel.
More comfortable facing hoop,I think. Regardless of where he plays he's got to get more touches.

Reply #255206 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I know it's been said over and over, but Ballinger's game will flourish once again when Burston is inside banging bodies. Cooper just isn't a threat in that regard.

Reply #255207 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

McLeod on what it takes to be successful in the NBL "A big to attract attention away from your shooters and get the job done inside... and a point guard to lead the team".

Nice timing.

Reply #255208 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Personally I would have loved seeing Davidson play for another season, I also think he would have given the team more smarts and heart than it currently seems to play with.

Reply #255216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always thought axing Davidson was a bad move especially given we really only need one of Ng or Herbert.

Reply #255221 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Davidson is older than Mahersy isn't he? Much as I like his game and love hs attitude, age and injuries had started to catch up with Davo. Was a terrior on the court but never a front line star in the nbl. I don't thing he would really addmuch to this team.

Reply #255241 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Scotty has said tonight upstairs in the Apollo room that Matt Burston will be back for next week.
Hill needs to get in his range of shots a fade away.The Defence clamps he has no answer to.
Jacob was too flat in his range shooting tonight but Coach was happy with his defensive rolls.
The last quarter was some of the best offensive pressure this year.Total turnaround.Ninnis must have split an artery at some of the time outs.

Reply #255301 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Brad Davidson would've gone 'round one more season, but we had to sign one u23 player instead.
Then - there's a lot just turned 23 - not much good for them.
It seems the loss in NZ on Thursday helped them win at home on Saturday, according to Garlepp's psychlogy
(on radio) ? - So maybe he thought they could only win one of those games ??????????

Reply #255647 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cornesy thinking we could've won that NZ game and backed up at home,but Garlepp thinking probably only 1 of the 2 possible.

Reply #255664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754