tommo
Years ago

Rule Clarification - inbounds after time-out

Just got a rule clarification

Article 17.2.3 - bullet point 3

During the last two (2) minutes of the fourth (4th) period and during the last two
(2) minutes of each extra period, following a time-out granted to the team that
has been entitled to the possession of the ball from its backcourt.

It seems that the team entitled to the ball is supposed to pass the ball in from the centre of the court opposite the score bench. Is this fully implemented - because last night there was 4 of these such occasions and once the ball was taken from the centre line, but on the same side as the score table. Were the refs stupid or just forgot the rules or maybe the NBL and Ian Stacker have come up with a new "interpretation" to cover this?

Topic #21462 | Report this topic

Detroit  
Years ago

If team B scores and team A is entitled to the ball, and team A calls a timeout the ball is then advanced to the half way

Reply #255343 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

If team B scores and team A is entitled to the ball, and team A calls a timeout the ball is then advanced to the half way

Reply #255344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To start, NBL referees are the most arrogant and lazy referees/umpires of any of the sporting codes in the country.

The level of professionalism, training, development, fitness they do is miles behind even Netball.

The instances above, plus the time outs from the court, plus the lack of coach and player control; the NBL and its referees are simply lazy.

Reply #255346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the fact that melzer played the game with an ear ring in that may have lead to ballinger having to leave the court to get treatment

Reply #255360 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

And Phill Jones throwing his shoe ... may have been the angle but it hit the ball. Surely that has to be a tech.

Reply #255439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or good aim by Jones

Reply #255445 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Anonymous what do you base your claims on?

Reply #255648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personel Experience.

Reply #255701 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

That's convenient

Reply #255739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You asked.

Reply #255744 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

And what is your personal experience?

Reply #255745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have close friends who are involved as umpires/referees in 5 sports and have experience myself in 3.

Is that enough experience?

I love how basketball referees get so defensive any time someone dares to question them. Hardest job in sport is being an umpire/referee. But a standard needs to be met, especially at a National Level.

I can assure you NBL and WNBL referees do not receive the same level of support, education and development as other sports. They also are not required to meet the same standards of fitness/training, knowledge, accountability or professionalism.

Reply #255747 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I was just wondering if you had experienced referees in other states and how they conduct themselves. Have you seen how Scott Butler prepares? Have you seen how much fitness work he does for an example? Have you seen how much video review Scott Beker from newcastle does? Have you done the fiba beep test on a national action day?

FIBA only requires a level 10 pass on the beep test! Thus this is the Basketball Australia requirement. Have you watched referees in Victoria run the test up to level 13 and 14?

Have you seen a copy of the referee performance management policy at the NBL/WNBL level? Do you actually know what their accountability is? Have you sat in on a Netball Australia Natinal Seminar? Have you sat in on and AFL umpire coaching clinic?

Support, education and development just doesnt grow on trees. Its called resources! Basketball unfortunately doesnt have the resources other sports have its a simple as that.

It's quite easy to sit back and take pot shots at the NBL/WNBL and make rash generalisations about it's referees level of professionalism and fitness when you havent experienced what the entire national panel does in this regard.

It's not about being defensive. It's about people like yourself who make these rash general statements and then back it up with "close friends are involved in 5 sports blah blah blah".

I have no doubt that some people in the NBL/WNBL ARE lazy, that is the same in any target demographic that you choose ( Shane Warne in Cricket for instance). But to come out and say that "NBL referees are the most arrogant and lazy referees/umpires of any of the sporting codes in the country." Is a gradious statement that lacks no basis or fact.

Reply #255752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same Scott Bekker that refereed the Hawks v Tigers game last night? If I was you I wouldn't have used him as an example.

Butler is the exception to the rule when it comes to fitness and preperation but in my experience with him I've found him quite egotistic.

I have sat in on/been involved in AFL, Netball and Basketball referee education programs. I believe I have enough experience in sport, not just basketball to make comment. Do you?

My comments are an opinion based on my personal experience. Your obviously welcome to have your own as well. I stand by my statement as it is my opinion despite the two examples you provided. I have chosen not to mention individuals as I didn't want to turn the conversation into an opportunity to attack referees personally.

I have issue with the lack of expectation that the NBL puts on its referees. I have issue with the error rate that the NBL currently accepts by its referees. I have issue with the overly positive, nice and friendly evaluation system/evaluators at the NBL level. I have issue with the standards the NBL accepts and (with the current lack of depth and experience at the top level) the standard the NBL is probably forced to accept. The problems are even more obvious when taking a step down to the WNBL.

I do not believe the vast majority of referees in this country treat their role with the professionalism that is required.

Basketball Australia needs to provide a much more detailed development program and in turn level of expectations for all referees from NBL down to local competitions. Only more money, time and resources will ensure refereeing can catch up to the level of basketball currently being played in this country. In my opinion that will never happen and therefore referee standards will never match the standard required.

Reply #255757 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Yes Scott Beker. The same Scott Beker who refereed the GOLD medal game at the Under 19 world Championships in New Zealand in June/July.There are a dozen guys at least who have fantastic fitness levels in the NBL. But unfortunately i agree it is not the norm.

There are a couple similar to Butler and they are now becoming the norm as all the top guys want to get to the next level.(Olympics)

I have an intimate knowledge of several sports and how their officiating is run, evaluated, reviewed and administered. It all comes back to resources and this is where we agree. Until Basketball Australia and all the State Associations start to put resources into Refereeing at all levels it will be left to each individual to improve and do this by self evaluation and assessment.

Until all referees are provided with dvd's of their games as a minimum only receiving post game evaluations will not improve one official. Referees at every level but especially the state leagues and beyond need greater direction, greater resources and greater tools to improve education process no doubt. But this takes funds and as you would be aware with your massive experience Basketball doesnt have it. Netball only has it to a certain degree because the Government pays for netball to be on one HD as part of policy.

The main problem with evalutators at the elite level is they are paid peanuts ( we all know the old saying) and most have never reached the elite level as referees. i leave that there.

One of the main problems over the years is that there has never been a succession plan in refereeing thus along the way there have been plenty of good referees across the country who have given the gig away due to lack of opportunities. You add that to the gap between the old guard, Milldenhall, Hunt, Shiels, Godden and the new group Butler, Aylen, Giersch and Mayberry and there is something like 15 years difference in age between the two group. The closed shop for all those years hindered development big time of younger officials.

Once this group retire the big issue is going to be who are the next crew chiefs? If you look across the board....... Yep!

But i disagree with the professionalism comment. Any referee who gets to the NBL has had to have some degree of professionalism. Yes like stated before there will be some just like there are in the AFL and NRl who arent as committed as they should be but by enlarge every referee wants to do there best and are as professional as can be expected with the limited resources available.

Im more than happy for you to email me at [email protected] if you would like to talk more specifics.

Reply #255761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would I email you? We can talk specifics and argue the points, but what does it change?

The NBL and BA will spend the very minimum it can on referee development and will only increase its spend when the basketball public apply enough pressure on them to do it.

In essence we agree on most points anyway.

Reply #255766 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

BA change due to public pressure.................. i'd like to see that.

Reply #255768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754