Anonymous
Years ago

Anti Poaching Rules

Before I start, i'm not interested in a 'this club just poaches kids left right and centre, don't develop their own' etc, so please stay on topic here. We are all aware of the clubs that do it, but thats not what this is about.

What I am after, are any rules or policies that clubs, associations, competitions,whoever have in place to stop the active poaching of players from other clubs. The association i'm tied in with is finding it to be a massive problem with parents activley going and recruiting players from other clubs.

Does anyone have anything already written up, or have any suggestions on how to put something together?

Topic #21471 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remember that one club's "poach" is another club's "acquisition".

Reply #255418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anti Poaching Policy
24.1 The Western Australian Basketball League does not condone or permit the act of
recruiting or "poaching" junior players to compete in theWABL competition.
Any representative of any WABL club including coaches, players, administrators,
volunteers or employees who actively attempt to recruit or “poach” players from
another team within theWABL competition will be deemed to have acted in a manner
detrimental to the competition and prejudicial to the Associations.
Upon receiving a formal complaint from any Association, theWABL Commission may
impose penalties as it sees fit subject to the findings of the subsequent investigations.
Penalties may be in the form of fines, loss of competition points, suspensions or
disqualification from the WABL competition.
All penalties will be at the discretion of theWABL Commission and will be circulated in
writing to all clubs.

Reply #255428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats not a bad ruling.

I suppose as always, the problem lies in proving it as #225418 sort of makes reference to. Unless a parent comes forward there isn't much that can be done.

Reply #255430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't seem to cover parents going off and doing unsolicited recruitment though - isn't that a serious problem?

Reply #255434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive really, kids meet each other through various camps etc and naturally keep in touch through facebook, myspace, msn etc. That can't be prevented either.

Unfortunately i know of numerous coaches who use parents to do their recruiting, so something would need to be put in place to prevent parents being active. Mind you, i also know of coaches who ring up kids at home and tell them to change clubs! No easy solution to this i think.

Reply #255435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only answer to poaching is to zone. Then it's impossible. Until then my aunty and cousin Bill and the next door neighbour will keep approaching youngsters and recruiting from the poor to feed the rich.

Reply #255438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And perfectly strict zoning isn't really ideal anyway - you'd have families moving and not wanting to change clubs.

Reply #255440 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Well, the average USA high school competitions are far more serious than anything here in OZ, and they are quite simple, zoned totally according to residential address. Works fine. Families still move to get over this, but fasmilies do that here in OZ for school selection as well.

For local OZ use you can add the caveat that when the parents move , they have the option of remaining with their previous club. And to provide a serious arbitration system to resolve issues where particular families are no longer welcome at a club, where approval for out of zone registration can be given.

The onus is up to the association to create the rules and to enforce the same.

Trouble is the bleeding hearts cry out that " but my little sammy wants to play with his friends" - which begs the question of why little sammy is such a sociopath that they can neither make new friends, nor play the sport well enough not to have to be carried to 'success" by the more skilled 'friends'

. In piss ant OZ associations where they need to combine private school and clubs in the same single competition structure , you find that the private schools actually force the new student to play for the school and to leave the club structure where they learnt to play - mostly the parents don't complain in that situation, as they would prefer little sammy to make new friends amongst the (presumably) socio-economically advantaged school students rather than the public school riff-raff that occupy the club structure.

And as the school always pays its fees on time, the association just bleats 'its up to the parents and the schools'.

The answer is of course to have separate club and school competitions as here in adelaide, and to enforce a zone feeder system for the clubs - but that will never happen

Reply #255453 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

forgot to add, out of zone registration can be allocated by the arbitration process, and a part of the decision making process would be which neighbouring club has the greatest need of the player , not just allow the parents to pick their preferred (presumably stronger) club

Reply #255455 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

zoning is not the only answer. Another answer is managing clearances properly:

a) limit clearances to one inward clearance (from another club) per age group per year
b) no more than 3 clearances across all age groups from any one other club

this limits how much poaching a club can do (ie a state coach cannot just go an recruit 4 of last years U16 state team to come to their club) and restricts damage done to a single club by aggressive poaching.

Reply #255464 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

this is something I never quite understand. here in Australia everybody's worried about his/her player getting 'poached' by other clubs, you'd think if the coach is doing a good enough job that's not going to be a problem.

if you don't treat your kid right then obviously he/she is gonna walk. as a coach myself I've always given my kids the freedom to do what they want and I haven't lost a kid leaving for other clubs. in fact I give them so much freedom that they don't even have to come to training! but he/she will obviously be benched as a consequence. in fact most of them loves training and rarely complains!

a lot of time got to look at 'why' somebody decides to leave.

Reply #255466 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LA Boy - you are right to question this but its also very simplistic.

If the "why" is because next years state assistant coach is actively doing the recruiting then thats a pretty clear cut "why" and adds a lot of pessure to the kid and the family.

I've seen kids being coached by excellent junior cocahes leaving programs for this reason, or because their mum/dad want them to have a shot at "championship" glory at another club.

Reply #255471 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I'm no head coach, but we've turned a bottom 4 team into a championship team after taking over in the matter of one season. and you know what? we had over 40 kids trying out for the squad in the following season with all our championship players also opt to come back.

so in regards to people go to better team etc.? I guess it's just comes down to coaching again.

obviously having the state coach/assistant on your squad make things very handy however there are still numerous cases where a kid make the team without biting on that coaches' tail. perhaps new regulation is required that U20s coach can't coach U20 rep team?!?!

Reply #255473 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

oh yeah and this is not to mention our starting PG chose to stay in our program over that of state coach's and he still made the cut on the state team earlier this year.

Reply #255474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only clubs against zoning are the clubs that poach. Zoning is used and works for a vast number of sports and basketball is slow to respond to a growing issue in its ranks.
Although it's difficult to tie down individuals to poaching because of the ambiguous nature of the rules, it happens regularly and effectively with seeds sown one year and reaped the next.
The pressure on not saying anything is immense as only kids of quality are approached which means sasi and state hopefuls are targeted. Parents who withstand the initial recruitment are not able to report the infringement because they risk their son or daughter's playing future by making a report.Successful recruitments are unlikely to dob themselves in and report they were poached.
Junior basketball has an anything goes attitude if you belong to certain clubs or are certain privileged individuals.
Zoning is not the be all and end all but it would certainly end the endless conjecture that arises each year and there is way too much smoke for there not to be any fire.

Reply #255477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was wondering how long the zoning zealots would take....

(Just make sure you don't bring up the success of smaller Victorian associations in a non-zoning competition to question it's necessity - it seems to turn your post invisible!)

Reply #255478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 478, a small vic association has twice as many players as adelaide district so I wonder if you're a blue or blue and gold version of the invisible man.

Reply #255496 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And Anon478, those smaller associations have been raped by the larger associations in vic for years. Bulleen and Melbourne are historically brilliant at poaching, and in latter days Dandenong seems to have had great success.

Vic is not zoned, but few championships these days are won by smaller associations in Vic. And there is vigorous movement of 'state' quality kids to the larger assocs.

Anon477 - I am interested, where does zoning work and why do you think that it works in those circumstances?

Reply #255502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just look at thier abl sides and see how many players came through thier club from u/12 onwards?????

Reply #255521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754