Isaac
Years ago

North beat Sturt

North beat Sturt by 9 out at Hillcrest.

For North, Hawkes had 24 and McKay had almost 20 (8/20 shooting, that's all I remember).

For Sturt, Forman had 25 (7/19 FG, 1/5 3P, 10/12 FT(?)) and 18 rebounds. Benson had 13 or so, and Shepherd was also in double-figures I think.

At the game: Woodville's Mens team, Paul Rogers, etc.

Thoughts: poor shooting from two Sabres in the one game never helped (Bauer 1/12 and Wilkey 2/12). Forman was scoreless in the first quarter but had 12 in the second. North made the most of a number of opportunities and made the baskets that counted. Shepherd was outstanding on the break: seemed to consistently get the ball at the half-way line and force the defense to foul him on the lay-ups. Oscar's foul shooting has continued to be very good.

Sturt were very close near three quarter time, but couldn't hold onto the game. North's defense in the first few minutes of the game was excellent. Sturt's defense was also very good for a lot of the time, but missed defensive rebounds gave up opportunities.

Last time I saw Burdon play at Pasadena, he shot well, but this game he was nowhere near that standard: 1/5 FG including two blatantly long airballs.

Benson had 13 and 10 I think -- another great game from the young player.

Besides these things, I wasn't overly impressed with much of the game. I have supported the standard of refereeing all season (most games holding only a couple of obvious mistakes), but the refereeing at this game was the worst I have seen in a long time.

Scott Ninnis doesn't shy from opportunities to tell the refs what he thinks, but he was in overdrive tonight (and rightfully so, I thought). A lot of missed travel calls, fouls not being called or being miscalled. Not good at all, and particularly rough in a finals game.

The refs were a clean-cut guy with dark hair (we were calling him The Concierge) and a shorter, blonde guy (The Bellboy).

At one stage, North had possession with their shot clock largely depleted and under pressure. The Bellboy blew his whistle and play stopped. Ten seconds later, North had the ball to in-bounds and a fresh shot-clock; nothing was called. Refs mistake.

One bad game out of those I've seen is not a terrible record for the season, but if I were Sturt and that were an elimination final, I would have been furious.

Onwards: I can't see North troubling Woodville, but Sturt vs Eastern will be an interesting game.

Topic #215 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll also add that Nathan Hawkes is a very capable point guard and his size certainly does not go astray when mixing it on the boards at ABL level. Shot well under good pressure most of the game and I think that would've been one of the differences on the night.

Reply #1465 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Isaac, just curious, were there many people at this game and did they fit everyone in? I would have liked to see this game but didn't want to chance it in case they had to turn people away. It would also be good if finals games were held on different days, ie Saturday night and Sunday afternoon so people have a chance to see all the games. What's your thoughts on this?

Reply #1493 | Report this post

solid gold  
Years ago

didn't see the game
dont care who won
just thought i'd post to try and catch the Mavs/Tigers forum

Reply #1501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lucy, I think the boxscore said 200+. I didn't see a free seat. Most of the Woodville guys were standing around near one end and poor Paul Rogers was left standing for all but the last couple of minutes.

I think a game on Friday night or Sunday afternoon would've been preferable because seeing both games would've been a good option.

Reply #1502 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Saw Hawkes, Rogers and afew of the North boys drinking up a storm at Savvy after the game!

Will be interesting to see how the game next week goes!

Another drink J bags??

Reply #1524 | Report this post

Inthaknow  
Years ago

For the record,it was only Hawkes,Rogers and some close friends having some fun before Rogers goes overseas for another year.Pretty sure Paul Bauer was with them as well.Good to see North making another run at the title,dont understand the lack of respect they seem to get on this forum??

Reply #1528 | Report this post

Having a cold one with your team mates to me is one of the life's rewards, great to see that the North boys were together after such a great win. Thats what its all about! (Anyway, I don't trust people who don't drink)

It was no surprise to me that North's 2 veterans stepped it up. Hawkes & McKay have played in many big games & their 'savvy' was instrumental in their win on Saturday. In finals, those two players experience is invaluable.

The winner of this weekends Warriors Vs North, for me, will be the State Champ, the match up of Hawkes Vs Vandenberg will be the one to watch.

Reply #1532 | Report this post

4dafans  
Years ago

Great work Bootney. Totally agree. The winner will come from this Saturday's match-up (ie - North/Woodville). I'm sure both teams are primed for the occasion - it will come down to fundamentals ultimately.

The Rocket's chemistry is very sound; a chemistry other teams would dream of having at this stage of the season. Obviously celebrating a drink with Paul (as he was a team-mate last season) indicates this tight unity.

Give the Rocket teams some respect - there are outstanding Men and Women competing for top 2 playoff positions this week.

Imagine where they could have been with a better venue over the last few years!!!

Reply #1537 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I for one would like to see an Eastern v Woodville final. How far can Jacob take his boys?!

Reply #1542 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I came at half time, had to stand in the doorway all night. it was pretty packed, but I remember the last Sturt-North game at Hillcrest having more people at it.

Wilkey tried to be a hero. I saw Oscar posted up and feed once, (he scored of course). Why not give it to the monster more often? Instead Sturt went to spot-up jumpers from Wilkey and attempted guard penetration, (which only Bauer looked really effective at dispite his shooting stats).

Hawks shot well for once, a nice change from his regular season antics. Burdon shot poorly, and Hambour created his own shot on occasions and was really aggresive against Oscar. A complete reversal on all fronts from what I've seen previously.

Maybe North can surprise me two weeks in a row?

Double Clutch.

Reply #1581 | Report this post

Stadiarep  
Years ago

To 4 da fans and others,

Imagine what all Clubs could have done with new BASA stadia, (sorry, Sturt and Forestville exempt)

Or even well maintained old stadia?

What about it Phil S, your dream/vision, remember?

The standard of all other BASA controlled stadia is XXXXhouse.

I saw a cleaner at Wayville today, vacuming the skirting board, well done.

Why is there a difference for the hired help.

I can understand the lack of volunteers from club to club, but not the hired help?

I heard that BASA almost lost the Morphett Vale Stadium through lack of maintenance.

Remember your BASA Stadia People, they are up against it too!

Reply #1584 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hambour made most of his buckets with drives like that (5/8 for 11 points and 8 boards).

Kies looked undersized but it didn't stop him from finding openings and he had 8 and 6 in 14 minutes!

Both teams were duds from outside (Sturt 2/22 and North 2/13).

Sturt seem more effective when they switch to a zone, but give up outside shots in doing so.

For North, I'm not sure where they'll win if Hawkes and McKay don't score.

For Sturt, besides Oscar in that game, no one had over 11. Without Jason and with a couple of others missing shots, the win was unlikely.

What's the finals map from here? Eastern play Sturt (who's at home?) and North play Woodville, but after that?

Reply #1585 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754