Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers Marketing/Merchandising Opportunities

I have thought for a while about the off court marketing and merchandising opportunities for the Sixers. The AFL do it really well and if you are a Collingwood supporter you can get almost anything from baby stuff to mobile phone covers etc. I reckon you could almost buy Eddie's dandruff if you tried.

I know this has been discussed here before, but what do people think about that stuff. What is worth doing, what things take off, etc

Things like a murray doll for kids? height posters, old DVDs, training books, etc.

A big one could be a replica Brett Maher jersey from '98

Thoughts?

Topic #21508 | Report this topic

quasi  
Years ago

I think that it's weird that you can't buy singlets from most regular sports stores. I have seen one or two in previous seasons, but very few and far between. I know that I've also looked for DVD's (including calling the Dome) of previous matches, particularly past finals series. If someone could produce DVDs of the 36ers finals series of the championship seasons, I think that that would sell well. Not sure that minor merchandise e.g. posters, stubby holders, pencil cases would do well

Reply #255785 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Heard a rumour that some sports stores will be stocking Sixers apparel soon. Jerseys I think.

Reply #255787 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You can always hit the nba.com store and order a David Andersen Rockets jersey, a Patty Mills Blazers jersey, a Nathan Jawai Timberwolves jersey, or an Andrew Bogut jersey (Bogut's also available at most god sports stores)

Reply #255797 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Maybe sending an email to Paul Bonzer - the Marketing Manager would be a good place to start?

Reply #255802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all about volume - to keep the items at a realistic price, they need to be ordered in bulk volume. The catch is, if they order in big volumes, and the demand isn't there, they end up wearing the costs of the unsold items.

Things like individual games should be doable, the question is whether or not they have good quality footage of the game to burn to DVD - it would probably look really average on today's LCD screens etc.

The AFL do it well, coz the demand is there.

Reply #255803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your also comparing the AFL with one NBL Club.

If the NBL managed it and arranged NBL Merchandise product you'd have a lot more product available Australia wide.

Reply #255804 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

You are also comparing a competition (AFL) which has 16 teams with members between 20,000 and 50,000 to an NBL club with at best 3,500

Reply #255816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised the 36ers do not have a merchandise section on there web-site, unless I'm blind and looking in the wrong section.

I know the stand is there on game night, but it would be nice to see it online in between games especially in a couple of weeks when the team is on the road for a few games.

Reply #255823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, it's almost ready - just waiting on NAB approval.

Reply #255830 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754