moose
Years ago

One of the best - South Adelaide in the 60s

I know it is hard to compare teams from different eras, but South Adelaide during the 60's had a record hard to beat.
At one time had 54 straight wins including matches against interstate teams.
After winning its first Grand Final in 1963 winter, South competed in every winter GF until 1969, winning 5, plus 3 summer GF.
Lost in 1964 after being Minor Premiers but having its 2 Olympians absent for the final as it was played during the 64 Olympics.

South Adelaide - 1965 Premiers

1965 Summer premiers
Back row: Albert Leslie(68 Olympian-one time 36ers assistant), Dean Whitford(64 Olympic reserve), Don Shipway(former 36ers coach),
Bob Hannam, Neville Spry, Brian Whitford, Wayne Crook
Front row: Joe Clarke(also west Torrens ruckman), Michael Ah Matt(64,68 Olympian), Ashley Koch, Scott Davie(64 Olympian),
Bruce Ninnis(Scott's father), Barry Wakefield.

Topic #21519 | Report this topic

Mmm  
Years ago

looks like the seat the front row are sitting on is still at marion. mind you they are painted red white and blue now.

Reply #255936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would like to see more organisations put as much of their history online as possible.

Reply #255940 | Report this post

moose  
Years ago

Photo taken at Forestville, so it is possible the seat ended up at Marion after Forestville's demolition.
I still have a piece of Forestville's floor which probably has the remains of my blood, sweat and tears in it.

Reply #255948 | Report this post

phidap  
Years ago

What a great team that was. Michael AhMatt was one of the best players ever to grace the courts in SA. He had an uncanny ability to find a player anywhere on the court with his magical passing skills and has been compared to Magic Johnson of the NBA for his ability in this area.

Scott Davie was a magical shooter too, who would shoot from what is now 3 point territory with regular success. Joe Clarke was the most promising centre in Australia at the time, but sadly never realised his potential at Olympic level.

I remember them well. As a teenager, these guys were my idols !!

Great photo which I'll cherish.

Reply #255959 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes - my idols , when I was u14 - later, I was lucky to play a few games with and against them...
played a few against moose.
Great photo - thanks.

Reply #255974 | Report this post

Colin  
Years ago

I showed my Dad tonight - this was his vintage. There were a lot of stories !! Any more similar photos would be great.

Reply #256003 | Report this post

dog 35  
Years ago

so, what happened to the photo? I would have loved to have seen it.

Reply #256207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:55 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754