Anonymous
Years ago

How Much Longer can the 6ers persist with Tez?

Arent imports supposed to be used to fill the gaps we cant with Aussie players? What gap is Tez filling?

I dont hate the guy and I feel for him but I think he has to go. He is not providing us with anything but uncertainty and we are carrying him night in and night out.

Call it harsh if you like as I know we are carrying other players but thats the life of the import!

Topic #21535 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Starting to agree. I keep getting sucked in by what he's capable of. When he's attacking the rim and being a distributor rather than settling for threes he's exactly the tyoe of player we need at that spot. Unfortunately he's not performing consistently enough. Boy would I love someone like Chewy Ubaka in his spot. He'd be perfect.

Reply #256164 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

It's certainly time for him to go. He's had his time and the Dragons destroyed his career. Time to cut him and find someone else.

Reply #256170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groves makes Mike Chappell's time here look good. Boti was always quick to put the hard word on Mal about replacing Chappell or Tyndale but silent on Groves...

Reply #256175 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He's shooting the ball at a horrible clip every night. Strange choice in the 1st place, must be a money thing. Cut him & get the Tigers back & grab Sean Lampley or DT.

Reply #256180 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm on the fence with him at the moment.

He does over dribble the ball

Reply #256184 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

You can see how frustrated Ninnis & the other coaches are with him when he over dribbles & launches a 3. I heard Ninnis barking it him to move the ball. He then walked over to Gilly on the bench & had an good chat then Tez was dragged.

He is shooting at a horrible clip & just seems to lack confidence. Even on D I noticed he got burned a couple of times.

Maybe Griz?

Reply #256191 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

cut Tez and Burston... sign Isaiah Victor and Brad Davidson..

Reply #256205 | Report this post

36ers  
Years ago

How about Farley?

Reply #256206 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Cortez isnt our biggest problem, Hill just panicks when he has the Ball and has Ng forgotten to throw the ball at the hoop???

Reply #256212 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

36ers, Farley is as old as Maher. If he had been playing all this time, he would be looking at retiring now. Besides, Farley has the "Kobe" technique of play.

Would prefer the Sixers look to sticking with what has done well for them the past decade and look outside of the league talent for new imports. We've been very good with overseas talent the past decade or so.

Reply #256217 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The question isn't whether to cut Groves. The question is who can the Sixers get now to replace him?

Reply #256219 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

From my understanding Groves was a budget Import and that we can't afford to get another import so we are stuck with him. I would like to be proved otherwise but I just don't see them cutting him. At home especially if he doesn't hit his first shot his confidence looks shot.

Reply #256220 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sad to say it, but it's time for him to move on.
I worked out we still have 5 points left (70 points is the cap, we are using 65)
Ballinger 10, Gilchrist i assume is 10, Groves 8, Holmes 8, Burston 7, Hill 5, Herbert 5, Ng 6, Cooper 5, Molitor 1. (we don't appear to have any development players and Garlepp only played when Burston was on injury waivers)

If we are serious about competing this season, drop Groves, drop Cooper (harsh after last nights efforts, but the fact he didn't play until the last quarter says he's not rated)
That leaves us with 18 points.
Sign Rillie for 8 points. Sign as good an import we can with 10 points.
We get a great import (preferably big, Donta Smith/Rosell Ellis/new import who can play the 3 up to the 5) who will contribute. And we get someone who can knock down a 3, has experience, knows how to win.
Or conversely, find out what Justin Bowen is up to and sign him and Horvath (who is now a naturalised New Zealander) and effectively run a 4 import team.
We upgrade 2 weaknesses, may cost a bit more but apparently we aren't using the cap whole cap anyway.

Reply #256223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tez isnt our problem get of his mother fucking back!

Reply #256226 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think people are being harsh on Tez - I'm not disputing offensively his confidence is right down, but defensively he is one of our best. He has kept Harvey to 8 points, Penney to something well below his average.

Saying he over dribbles the ball is somewhat true, but doesn't Gilchrist do exactly the same thing? Like last night at the end dribbled and jacked up an ugly 3......seems to me that if you're going to criticise Tez then maybe Gilchrist should be getting it too?

Reply #256242 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hendo8888, Great Idea however I don't think its financially feasible also add to that, that NBL coaches have really never done something like that mid season (Besides Westover last year).

The Sixers would have to pay out Cooper and Groves probably a total of 160k rough guess. Horvath would play for whatever Cooper was getting but a new import would probably want that 160k total. There is no way management would want to do that.

In an ideal world it sounds great though!

Reply #256245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you all that retarded??? One week you want them to cut Tez the next week you want them to cut John and now your back wanting them to cut Tez again and now your on John's nut sack because he won POTW. Your such fair weather fans its a joke and you all should be ashamed of yourselves. You idiots talk about his confidence but you guys are not helping, how about you support your team and the players instead of always finding a negative and trying to put someone's head on the chopping block..IDIOTS!!!

Reply #256255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SNAP! I'M WITH YOU ANON ABOVE. HOW BOUT SUPPORT THE BLOODY PLAYERS AND QUIT BEING SUCH JERKS TOWARDS TEZ, OR COOPS (WHO EVERYONE SEEMS TO TRY TO SHOOT DOWN), OR JOHN ETC (WHEN THEY ARE HAVING AN OFF GAME). THERE IS A WHOLE TEAM TO DISECT FAULTS FROM! STOP BLAMING IT ON ONE PLAYER EVER TIME THEY DON'T EXCEL! I'M OVER READING ALL THE BULLCRAP ABOUT "CUTTING PLAYERS". THEY WON'T CUT PLAYERS BECAUSE YOU LOT ARE ON HERE CARRYING ON ABOUT THEM!

Reply #256280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you atleast someone agrees with me.

Reply #256299 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

#256255, I like it.

Reply #256301 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

while you are at it lets sack Herbert and Hill and Ng. Hell lets just start again with only Ballanger to stay........

Reply #256311 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

Isnt odd that he only really played well as a pg in Wollongong and badly at South/Adelaide as a 2 gaurd. Just saying he needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

Reply #256316 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is calling to cut Gilchrist.
He is top 10 in the league in basically every stat.
5th in Points (17.9), 5th in rebounds (7), 1st in assists (4.7), 7th in blocks (6 total), 15th in steals (8 total).
Has his weaknesses and will have his off games, but has been a very good player for us. His good games have far outweighed his bad ones and he is as explosive as they come on his night.

Groves on the other hand... not much collumn A, fair bit collumn B. I have been happy to give him a chance, to see if he can regain that form he showed at Wollongong. But he hasn't showed it. Does about 2 or 3 good things every night, the rest just isn't quite up to expectations. He appears to have 2 options in his repertoire at the moment. Cross over to the right, drive the lane for the hopeful lay-up, or hold the ball for 24 seconds and put up a prayer. We can persist with him and I'm sure he will have the odd good game like Tyndale and Chappell did, but we won't be a contender with him. And isn't that the goal? It's not like AFL where you just have to live with someone not performing, there's other options in this league. Gold Coast saw early on that Joiner wasn't going to bring them success, so cut him for Maxey who has improved their team a lot. We were criticised for holding onto Chappell for too long and ultimately missed the Playoffs even though we were making teams sweat with Julius in the side. We've pretty well proven that with Groves in the side, we will only be a midrange team. Are we happy with that? Or do we want more? Luckily the evenness of the league means we are still in with a shot this season and aren't too far off the pace, but that window won't be open for too much longer. Most games when it's in the balance at the end (New Zealand O/T, TV at home), he ends up getting dragged.

On Cooper, I don't want to go on too much about him. We all know what he can and can't do. We had an injured Burston last night who only played 10 mins, yet we still waited until the last quarter for him to get his first run. This meant Ballinger had to play centre, which none of us want. It was probably the idea to get him a run of 3 or 4 mins then call it a night, but we were surprised by him actually doing something for once. That's where all the hero remarks are coming from, because it was out of the ordinary. He played out of his skin last night, yet still had worse stats than Burston, who was coming back from injury, didn't have a very glowing review, was underdone and had the same game time. We have the points there to replace him for someone who we don't cringe when they walk on the court. Why not use them? Get someone in who we aren't going to be shocked when they score 5 points and pull down 4 rebounds.

I'm not usually one to call for someone's head or be overcritical. They wear the Sixers uniform, so on game night I will support them, but I know we can do better. I don't want us to make up the numbers this season. The league is even enough that a little tweak in our favour could see us become extremely dangerous. From battling for a playoff berth, to genuinely challenging for the Championship.

Rant over. Won't make any difference, the club will do what they want, will probably get shot down for it, but it's my opinion.

Reply #256330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James, Cooper would only be on the minimum ($40k) and given no one else was interested in Groves I highly doubt he's on $120k.

I think Horvath is in semi-retirement having pretty much lost interest in basketball and is going to uni to become a school teacher.

Reply #256331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see this website as majority Sixer fans. How about creating a website to bring the players morale up so they have something good to go on and know they have the support of there fans. This is all mostly negative posts and nobody (Even if they are professional athletes) wants to read about themselves. Instead of bagging them how about you give them positive feed back and your thoughts on ways to improve instead of the harsh negative comments that you mostly post about your so called beloved team. Maybe they might join and have no problems in hearing your comments and replying to your threads. Just a thought?

Reply #256346 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

well said hendo8888, if Groves wants us off his back he needs to step up his play. Imports come with certain expectations in this league, like it or lump it. I want the sixers to win, i have nothing personal against Tez but I think we are a player away from really contending. Considering that Cortez would be the easiest to replace being an import then so be it. These guys are professionals, if they cant take a bit of critacism then they are in the wrong profession.

Reply #256351 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Players generally don't read forums, certainly not in season. If they want something with less criticism, they have the club Facebook group I guess.

Reply #256352 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Plenty of tools writing on the club facebook page too, I can tell you that. So much negativity, I really struggle to believe these people call themselves 36ers fans!

Reply #256377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No kidding Hems! I can not believe that there is a post still sitting on there about Ninnis, Cortez and Hill (that is highly offensive) YET a post was removed almost IMMEDIATELY that someone wrote saying that the club had ripped them off with ticket money. VERY POOR VERY VERY POOR filtering of a fan club page IMO. There are young aspiring basketballer's who are on that page who do not need to be reading such disgusting posts and opinions. Who ever governs that site should know better and should have some bloody respect for the coach and not keep it up there!

Reply #256434 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

And the wankers writing it should pull their head in to. Shit all this crap and we won.

Reply #256463 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It's Tez's selfishness that's really starting to jack me. Ballinger is on fire, and you refuse to distribute to him? C'mon. He was 6 for 6 from outside and not far behind from inside, and Tez wasn't interested in passing to him in the least.

Reply #256518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Rillie

End Thread

Reply #256548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like the Breakers got to him first.

Reply #256554 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

If a 25 year old Darnell Mee was around then I'd think of cutting Groves But his defence has been great.
Don't have to light the scoreboard up to do your job!

Reply #256601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This site is a joke, you shoot people down and have smart ass comments for those who are trying to stay positive about there team and the players..It was just a suggestion to have a website with positive feedback and you negative people want to criticize people that are not bagging the Sixers..

Also your quick to post quotes from Julius Hodge and say the most horrible things about him with no proof he said any of that, but when he replies you quickly delete it and also the post regarding the ticket money just to name a few.

You negative small minded Sixers fans who have nothing good to say must be really miserable with your lives and bored. Didn't your parents teach you if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all??

Reply #256610 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone's posted proof of his quote from Facebook. The "post from Julius" was fake and was deleted before even more people fell for it.

Reply #256612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But still no proof of it? It looks like that subject was deleted from this site aswell.

mmmmm i wonder who saw it and posted it?

Reply #256621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What are you talking about? The post where someone pretended to be Julius was deleted. The original topic was left. A screenshot of the Facebook comment was clearly posted.

Reply #256625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if i am wrong Isaac. But the thread is no longer there and i never saw a screenshot of him saying that?

Reply #256630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I apologise Isaac i have found it.

Reply #256631 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

...with no proof he said any of that, but when he replies you quickly delete it and also the post regarding the ticket money just to name a few.
Thanks for the retraction, Anon...

Reply #256669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754