moose
Years ago

60s South Adelaide photo

Don't know what happened to it. I'll try again.

South Adelaide 1965 Summer Premiers

1965 Summer premiers
Back row: Albert Leslie(68 Olympian-one time 36ers assistant), Dean Whitford(64 Olympic reserve), Don Shipway(former 36ers coach),
Bob Hannam, Neville Spry, Brian Whitford, Wayne Crook
Front row: Joe Clarke(also west Torrens ruckman), Michael Ah Matt(64,68 Olympian), Ashley Koch, Scott Davie(64 Olympian),
Bruce Ninnis(Scott's father), Barry Wakefield.

Topic #21541 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Shipway kept that seriuos look for 40 years. Ninnis looks like his Pop. Could he play?

Reply #256274 | Report this post

Old South  
Years ago

Bruce Ninnis, at just over 6-1, was South's starting centre for 7 years prior to the arrival of the 6-4 Joe Clark.
Durng that era, the tallest district player was Mike Dancis at 6-7.
In 1965, Ninnis moved to the United Church District team (now Sturt), playing with Paul Bauer's late father Phil, going on to play over 300 district games in 12 years.

Reply #256292 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

what's the deal with the stars? Four of the fellows have them

Reply #256297 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

They were on the old singlets. Couldn't afford the stars on the newer ones.

Reply #256307 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Gem of a picture. If anyone has more, please post them, whether they be of Div 1, Metro A or any of the teams of those era. Have played under more of these guys than I can list - would've been one heckuva team.

Reply #256327 | Report this post

Years ago

gym boots, hair oil - that is GOLD.

is the dean whitford the bloke coaching at norwood nowadays?

yes bring on the old school photos

Reply #256368 | Report this post

duke blue devil  
Years ago

did they get their shoes from a skate shop?

Reply #256374 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I started playing under 14s with South Adelaide in the 1965/6 Summer season and saw this South team play many times. Don Shipway was the coach and the most noted player in my team was Colin Pickett who went on to play in the "District" team. The Under 14 team had a bit of success, winning about 56 games on the trot, finally losing to the older South Under 14 Team by a few points. Several years later I played about half a season in the Metro A Grade team with Michael Ahmatt as playing coach. He was in his mid 30s then but still an amazing player. As for the "Stars", Dollie Barrie (SABC) life menber, made many of the uniforms for the juniors for a modest fee, with her husband Dene, also a life member, cutting out the stars and numbers from sheet plastic. This basic uniform was the mainstay for most of the teams until the mid 1970's.

Reply #256378 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Yes. Dean is involved with Norwood.

Shoes - In those days there were no such brands as Adidas, Nike etc. I think Converse All Stars were worn by well over 90% of all USA college and NBA players. I got my first pair sent out from my parents' US pen friend in about 1960.
You really had "ärrived" if you had a pair of "Chuck Taylor" All Stars. while others were wearing Asian imports from the SA Rubber Stores or Dunlops.

Reply #256478 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Shows !!

in the 70's for about 1 year there was actually a high-cut "basketball boot" in the Green and gold dunlop volleys (white canvas tennis shoe) range.

Reply #256555 | Report this post

time warp  
Years ago

did the manager carry hair oil ?

Reply #256597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754