Anonymous
Years ago

when did the 'advantage' rule come into basketball

Personally I'm sick of the ref's prerogative to decide is an advantage was caused.
In reality it gives refs the ability to punish players/teams they don't like by claiming no advantage.. the fact they cant move there arms by the end of the game because they have been hacked for 40 minutes.
A foul is s foul .. call it .. the players hacking will get fouled out of the game or stop doing it.
Lets get this subjective BS out of the game call all fouls all violations, not just those you feel create a perceived 'advantage' ..
While I'm ranting, I'm also sick of refs saying "there both doing it , I'll have to call it both ways", what BS is that ..
and my other favorite . I cant call it its the other refs call.. i.e: yes I saw the foul but it wasn't in my part of the court.

thats my rant for the day..

Topic #21546 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

I agree with the umps. Basketball needs less whistle blowing & less sooks....

Reply #256406 | Report this post

paddy  
Years ago

I agree with anon, "a foul is a foul" so call it.
It's nothing to do with being a sook. If there's a rule for one side, the same rule applies for the other. It was also annoying to see the number of travels called the other night, when one side (Ballinger)got called for dragging his foot, often caused by a push, (no foul called), but the other side (Ubaka) was allowed to take three or four steps, more than once and no call.
Also great defence by the boys, good to see some boxing out at last.

Reply #256414 | Report this post

Maude  
Years ago

Hate to disappoint you guys but the idea is actually provided for in the rulebook

47.3 When deciding on a personal contact or violation, the officials shall, in each
instance, have regard to and weigh the following fundamental principles:
• The spirit and intent of the rules and the need to uphold the integrity of the
game.
• Consistency in the application of the concept of 'advantage/disadvantage',
whereby the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game
unnecessarily in order to penalise personal contact that is incidental and which
does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place his opponent at a
disadvantage.
• Consistency in the application of common sense to each game, bearing in mind
the abilities of the players concerned and their attitude and conduct during the
game.
• Consistency in the maintenance of a balance between game control and game
flow, having a 'feeling' for what the participants are trying to do and calling
what is right for the game.

Also, how many times have you complained at a ref because a call was 'soft'? You're saying you want everything called - if that were the case it would become similar to netball! That would also mean that 3 seconds would be called every time down to a knife edge, and even travelling in the back court when there is no defence to be seen would also be called.

Not only that, think of this scenario: You are dribbling on a fast break or an ordinary drive to the basket, you are fouled as you stop dribbling or just before but it's only a minor knock and you manage to finish the shot and make the basket. Should the ref cancel the basket and give you the ball on the sideline? He can't give you 2 shots as you weren't in the act of shooting, but he's not allowed to let the contact go under the idea that there was "no disadvantage". This is also the same for situations where you get fouled on the rebound or the dish and then get a wide open, easy shot after that.

Reply #256417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is people don't want a Foul to be a Foul. What anon above is saying is that contact is a foul.

Without the Advantage rule, there would be 50-60 fouls called in the first quarter of the game if contact was called a foul.

A foul is a foul; you just don't agree with what the rule book's definition of a foul is.

Reply #256419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ditto orbit.

Reply #256420 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"It was also annoying to see the number of travels called the other night, when one side (Ballinger)got called for dragging his foot, often caused by a push, (no foul called), but the other side (Ubaka) was allowed to take three or four steps, more than once and no call."

They let players take 4 steps when they catch the ball and face-up but don't allow two steps on a spin move or a pivot. Joke.

Reply #256428 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

The last few weeks a pivot seems to be interpreted as a travel.
Maude... consistency would be good, especially if the fouls are heavy, i.e. hits to the head needing three stiches.

Reply #256433 | Report this post

Maude  
Years ago

raytri - agreed that hard contact does need to be called in order to control the game and protect the players - this isn't incidental contact and shouldn't be judged as such. Incidental contact should be anything that doesn't hurt the players or the movement they're trying to achieve. Head contact (unless soft and very very clearly no disadvantage) should always be called, its too dangerous otherwise

XztatiK - I didnt' see the game so I can't really comment for sure, only a guess - they may have gained from the travel on the spin move but not on the catch and face up? Taking a few extra steps on the pivot or spin move may have allowed them to illegally beat the defender but the extra steps on the catch and face up may have gained them nothing if it didn't shift the defence. Like I said, I didn't see it so thats just a guess

Anon 419 - the rule book also provides for the instances when fouls and violations should be judged as incidental. The foul and violation definitions should be read in context with the rest of the rule book and therefore the labelling of contact as a foul is not always as clear cut as set out in rule 6.

Reply #256461 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I also think that in some games, umpires look for things that have been called on the player previously, and tend to focus on that instead of looking for the reasons why it happened. i.e. Ballinger has been called for dragging his foot a few times now, in this week and last weeks games. Maybe the ump is missing the reason why he is doing it, i.e. being bumped and pushed by his defender, or in this weeks case at least two or more defenders.
The call should not have been a travel, but a foul on the opposition.

Reply #256467 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

If you have a problem with the reffs take it up through your club and send a letter to BSA I did this not so long ago and had a good feed back from BSA ... bagging them on this site will not get you anywhere.. Just rember without them you dont have a game... Yes there needs to be some improvement but it wont happen by bagging them HERE..... ring,email or send BSA a letter and go from there.....

Reply #256486 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

in my case, my first domestic ball game in Australia the refs were horrible! since it was near the end of the game (last 10s) i did something horrible to them and with the game about done they didn't send me off but had to take it!!! i was extremely proud!

Reply #256632 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Simple solution: get all players to wear a fencing style uniform with sensors all over it, as soon as any contact is made a red light flashes and a loud buzzing noise is sounded, the foul is instantly called and umpires dicretion is removed entirely from the process.

I think we can all agree this is the only way forward.

Reply #256637 | Report this post

Maude  
Years ago

sure would make our job a lot easier, billo lol

Reply #256900 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754