Isaac
Years ago

Tigers now championship favourites

No surprise to see Melbourne jump to championship favouritism given the signing of Hodge and possible return of Anstey. I do wonder if Hodge might clash with Worthington but have to admit that as soon as I heard the rumour, I went straight to Centrebet! What's a bit amusing is that the Tigers are actually at the bottom of the table!

MELBOURNE TIGERS 3.50
PERTH WILDCATS 4.00
NEW ZEALAND BREAKERS 5.50
TOWNSVILLE CROCODILES 8.00
WOLLONGONG HAWKS 8.50
GOLD COAST BLAZE 9.50
ADELAIDE 36ERS 11.00
CAIRNS TAIPANS 29.00

The top-of-the-table Cats aren't far off the pace and the bookies must be watching the NZ situation with interest.

Much of the rest are fairly level at around $8-11. I do think Adelaide are a touch too long given they're hardly playing to their potential. And any Hawks team that can go up and smash the Crocs in the second game of a FNQ trip deserve a bit better than $8.50.

TAB Online have gone a step further, putting the Tigers at $3.75 and also have Adelaide in the mid-pack ahead of the Blaze:

Melbourne $3.75
Perth $4.50
New Zealand $5.00
Townsville $8.00
Wollongong $8.00
Adelaide $9.00
Gold Coast $11.00
Cairns $26.00

Topic #21548 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You sure the 6ers arent playing to there potential??

Id take Perth at this stage, Bevo has trhem working like clockwork! Julius hasnt proven himself yet to be more than a human highlight reel, he isnt a winner....but that could change ofcourse, but titels favourites is a big call at this stage.

Reply #256470 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Every away win will be crucial this season.

Tiggers well positioned. Would still drop some on Adelaide with those odds. Breakers look ordinary without the Spenda dropping threes.

At the end of the day, I reckon the final table and run to finals will be based on head to head. Once you're in finals, anything can happen

Reply #256471 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Wollongong, Adelaide, NZ = Good bets.

Melbourne, Townsville = Shocking bets.

Reply #256473 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The bookmakers have no idea, just ask Adelaide fans if Hodge is any good. If they had their way Tigers would be at $50 to win based on how good they think Hodge is playing in a team :P

Reply #256477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to admit I'm glad I didnt put anything on the Sixers to win it all this season. Unless a change is made I expect us to finish 2nd or 3rd to bottom.

Reply #256481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Of course the 36ers aren't playing to their potential. For one thing, Burston's barely come back from injury and is the starting centre. Then Groves is hardly at his best either.

Reply #256484 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I think the top4 will be Perth, Gong, NZ, 36ers in some order. Can't win a championship if you don't make the playoffs and I honestly don't think Melbourne will.

Reply #256487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groves has peaked in this league about 2-3 years ago, so the 6ers wont be getting anything extra positive from this point out of Groves that they havent already got this season.

X, will be interesting to see if the Tigers do make the playoffs, its tight this season, and they are just out the hunt at the moment. Id love them to miss it for sooooo many reasons!!!!!

Reply #256505 | Report this post

Roo Boy  
Years ago

Cats are unbeatable at the moment if they can beat NZ away on Thursday and come back home and beat Cairns on Saturday there will start to be a big gap between them and the other title hopes New Zealand and the Tigers .

Still think delisting Rogers and picking up a 10 point centre import is a good option . Big Red is having back problems and Sam Harris would not be able to hold down a starting 5 position

Reply #256509 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

In this revamped league does anyone wonder how the Tigers can fit Hodge into their cap. I mean the line up the have is a pricey one, to fit him into it would love to see that looked into.

Reply #256512 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'll be looking to put some dosh on the Sixers to win the whole thing.

I don't think sticking Hodge in a team should improve odds that dramatically. He barely improved our %, and we didn't have a Wortho type player that would potentially clash.

Time will tell. I'd donate good money straight into Gilly's bank account if he lit Hodge up for 30 odd points and we got the W.

Reply #256514 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Would that be the first time ever that the outright bottom team is still championship favourites after 7 rounds?

Reply #256515 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Roo Boy, more info on Schenscher's back please. I'm just about to trade Daniel Johnson for him...

Reply #256523 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

i would put a bet on the tigers at $2.00 there is no way that they can lose this year with their roster i mean the only team with a chance of beating them is the breakers. they could win without hodge but his addition makes it that much harder for the rest of the field.

Reply #256529 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I agree with anon re. the Sixers. At some point, you have to start wondering whether the Sixers' potential just isn't very high this season. If Burston can come back in and improve things a bunch (by freeing Ballinger up more, controlling the boards, etc.) then I'll eat my words, but the Sixers don't ever seem to know how to run a productive offence with a genuine centre, so I don't really see why they're going to start now. We've got the individual skills to be successful (as does every team in the comp), but as a coherent unit, the current squad is painful to watch. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Reply #256531 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ agreed.

I'm just trying not to put a lot of this on Scotty, as I really want to see him succeed.

That said, with someone like Bevo at the helm of this team, I'd have to honestly say I think they'd look much better.

Reply #256535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said it when we signed Burston and I keep biting my tongue every time I hear he is not playing due to injury. You must wonder why he keeps getting injured OR is unable to play. I was told he was the best available at the time but he is only the best available if he gets on the court and not in the radio stations!!!

Reply #256536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Groves is a shell of what he once was and Burston has a history of injuries. Signing him was a gamble worth taking only if Cooper isn't your back-up centre.

Like a few have said we don't have much potential and being more than a third of the way into the season it doesn't look promising if something isn't done about getting more out of our second import spot.

Reply #256537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skud, how much do you think Corletto, Greer, Crosswell, Johnson, Lang, etc are costing them? Doubt it's much. Mackinnon went cheap for a last go around too.

Not saying that the Sixers' ceiling is a guaranteed championship, just that they're not at their best.

Reply #256539 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

hereschenes, during the Gold Coast game I was thinking like that, that this will just be an average season and we might not be that good. We ended up giving it to Ballinger who got us out jail in that game. Hopefully this team will not be an average team and we can start focussing on our strengths the whole game, that way we are in with a chance to beat any team. On the other hand, if we don't work out how to be effective teams will shut down Ballinger and then we will resort to one on one offence which will result in ugly games/results.

Anon Burston has had two unlucky injuries this season. The first was with Anstey falling on his knee. I'm sure Anstey falling on anyones knee would cause damage. The most recent injury was a fractured hand(?) which is not related to the knee. Prior to that he played the previous two seasons Injury free!

Reply #256540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hand injury was at training, knocked by Brad Hill unfortunately.

Reply #256544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James,

Pre-season included I think Burston has had three injuries this season (didnt he re-injure his leg or hand?). Also prior to the last two seasons Burston had had an injury riddled career and my point was the last two seasons he's had guys like Rogers at Perth and Horvath at the Dragons just in case, we've got Cooper.

Reply #256545 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Melbourne will be Contenders if the following happens:

70% of Tiger Possesions go to Julius to either fluff or make.

Corletto, Croswell and Worthington are willing to give up their Inside game to Julius and wait for perimeter shots only (Wortho should be used to that).

AKA, they do what Adelaide did and try the "Shaq" philosophy and base everything on Julius.

Reply #256546 | Report this post

rockets2  
Years ago

You gotta feel for burston. i met him a few times when he was a cat. genuine good allround bloke.

Reply #256560 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can't believe that the Tigers are favourites...plain crazy in my book!

Reply #256570 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Wollongong and Perth are the two standouts for me IMO unless some roster changers are made with the other six teams can't see them challenging these two awesome teams

Reply #256589 | Report this post

Northy  
Years ago

Maybe word got around that Julius was one of the best jump-shots in the league (and of course the hardest at training) and the bookies bought the poison and all of a sudden the Tigers are favourites?

Reply #256594 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Both Centrebet & TAB are jumping the gun a bit considering Hodge hasn't played a single game for Melbourne. Surely there is a risk factor that he will disrupt the team, if not for his on court antics atleast his off court antics. I wouldn't trust Hodge to bring a championship. Isaac, I don't think that Melbourne being at the bottom of the ladder right now is an indication that they are not likely to win a championship. They can turn that around at any time and perform when it counts. I just don't think that Hodge is the one that is going to turn it around for them.

Reply #256602 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC, I'd say being on the bottom of the ladder is the best indication you can get that you aren't going to win the 'ship! It's the reason why they pulled the trigger on Hodge.

Centrebet and TAB's odds would be a reaction to money taken on the Tigers since they signed Hodge (most of it by Isaac)

Reply #256609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not about them being a lock to win it all, just a good deal given the odds. They've done OK considering their injuries, have Anstey to return and have added someone who could make them or keep them in a holding pattern. Worth a punt.

Reply #256613 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Bookies follow the money - to move Melb that short, I imagine they must have had some serious bets coming through.

Reply #256712 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Agreed they are worth a punt - very open season this year, and I think 4 or 5 teams have a shot. Melb's experiance and Julius if he lasts the season could get them over the line.

Reply #256731 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754