VPC
Years ago

Volunteer Police Checks

Basketball getting some unneeded connection with unsavoury actions lately - i think timely opportunity to encourage all associated with clubs of any sport to encourage Admin attend to this process
Volunter Police Checks must be enforced and those who chose not to comply are not wanted - it becoming more accepted
Do BSA enforce any obligations for coaches /Administrators to have checks
Not interested in slagging anybody with this very serious matter but lets all lift the expectations for everybody sake

Topic #21568 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Lets just say that something big is in the works that involves police checks......

Reply #256896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaq wants to be a sherrif and he is BIG, is he going to be involved!? :)

Reply #256897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Police Checks only find people with a previous issue.

Police checks aren't the answer on their own, closer supervision by parents instead of blindly trusting a coach is required.

Reply #256899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Police checks in place now for coaches. however as previous post said, will only show up those who have been caught. onus is also on parents to supervise their kids.

Reply #256913 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

An intelligent coach is one who protects themselves as much as they protect the kids. I asked my team managers to make sure that they always in change rooms when I was with kids and made sure I was never alone with a child.
Be protective and be seen to be protective.
Just common sense.

Reply #256929 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They do only confirm the past history and not the potential to offend. Supervision and being smart is the key. It's a two way street as well because it is very easy to smear someone too. Making sure an adult/child is not alone together is important.

Unfortunately, a minor % of people make it difficult for the overwhelming majority.

As someone noted, basketball is not a child minding service

Reply #256940 | Report this post

Ifellinthewater  
Years ago

In my opinion, today's advertiser is a reminder how deep basketball's collective head is in the sand. Some, not all, clubs are only too happy to have coaches rather than evaluate the suitability of those coaches.

Reply #256953 | Report this post

':"  
Years ago

How many of these pedophiles actually have a previous conviction, so having everyone police checks does not solve this at all. What about team managers? They are with kids just a much and nothing is done for them to be checked? I just think that the checks do not always acheive what they need to. Unfortuantely for people like the one in the Advertiser today they make 99% of the coaches jump through hoops to become a volunteer coach with unnecessary checks

Reply #256962 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

All coaches at my district club are 100% police checked.

At my social club, one of the coaches had a previous drug possession conviction - but, he was 18 at the time and doing what a majority of kids do. He did step down though, and hey we now know where to get some grass if we need it.

Rather than just police checks, some other background check may be helpful - but what to check for without discrimination?

Last I checked, Woolies didn't stock Hindsight in a can.

Reply #256964 | Report this post

':  
Years ago

Background checks? You can not be serious? Again you can search and search but most of these people do not have any history of their disgusting behaviour. And are you sure Jack that every coach is police checked at your club?

Reply #256966 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

An overwhelming number of child molestors have been molested themselves. While being molested does not mean you will become one, the overwhelming proportion of molestors have been and there are certain behavioural profile tests that can be used to identify high risk individuals.

Reply #256967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I missed the Advertiser today - what was the issue this time??

Reply #256968 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

oh, I yes, I have seen the spreadsheet, they are all completed the token police check.

Reply #256969 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd like to see the definition of 'police check'.

Something is in the works in relation to 'vulnerable' people, this includes children, the elderly and the mentally challenged.

Reply #256971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

99.9% of the people in kids sport are there for the right reasons.

Its black and white. Never be alone with a kid. Those working with minors need to be protected from been tarnished with suspicions or false accusations and not put themselves in a vulnerable situation.

Parents need to also make sure their children are not in vulnerable positions.

If an adult is spending any time in private with a minor put a stop to it. It isnt anymore complicated than that.

These subhumans are in all walks of life.

Reply #256978 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It's a pretty sad indication of the state of society that coaches have to take such measures.

Reply #257006 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"An overwhelming number of child molestors have been molested themselves"

Massive privacy laws regarding releasing information on someone's childhood. Pretty sure u would also bring in discrimination laws for those that may never do it.

Police checks are a complete crock but they are the only thing we have to check ppls history. Perhaps Coaches or others could be given a Appropriate Behaviour guide book.
Lets face it plenty of ppl wouldnt know your not allowed to hug a crying child now days.

Reply #257023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:35 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754