LC
Years ago

2010 Eltham-Dandenong Junior Tournament

Just found out that entries are now open for the 2010 edition of this great Australia Day weekend junior tournament.

Website Link: http://linky.com.au/66s0r

It is scheduled for Thursday evening 21st January (optional) - Friday 22nd January (evening only) - Saturday 23rd January - Sunday 24th January 2010.

This tournament celebrates the 35th year for Eltham and the 15th year for Dandenong of the Tournament.

Topic #21576 | Report this topic

Which SA teams are going ?

Who will be the strong teams in boys Under 14 and Under 16 ?

Reply #260337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most Sturt Div 1 nad 2 Boys and Girls are going. 14 Sturt Boys will be strong and Forestville and Sturt will be strong in Girls

Reply #260350 | Report this post

Any idea who will be the strong teams from VIC in under 14 and under 16 boys ?

Reply #260378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Vic Teams that will be good are Knox, Melb and Nunnawading. No one else really has shown much so far

Reply #260579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for the SA and Vic Teams for the rest of the divisions, who are the stand outs ? These are the Vic teams I suggest will be hard to beat

Boys

U/12's Melb, Bulleen

U/14's Knox, Dandy and Melb

U/16's Werribee, Knox, Keilor and Melb

U/18's Dandy, Waverley Ballarat

Girls

U/12's Eltham, Knox

U/14's Dandenong, Bulleen and Melb

U/16's Dandenong, Melb and Knox

U/18's Nunnawading, Dandenong

Reply #260580 | Report this post

Dp  
Years ago

Under 14 boys strong teams will be : Melbourne, Knox, Doncaster, Blackburn. Also teams that will be not too shabby are : sandringham, kilsyth, diamond valley

Reply #260800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doncaster And Diamond Valley ?

Reply #260842 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I totally agree with Dp's assessment of U14 boys.

Doncaster and Diamond Valley are quite strong, as they were 2 years ago at U12 level as top-age teams. Very well organised.

Reply #260851 | Report this post

Dp  
Years ago

Yes anonymous, Doncaster and Diamond Valley. Diamond Valley have a huge african kid playing in their team who was there in Under 12's, and was tough to stop when he was raw, hes been worked on for a couple of seasons and is even tougher to stop inside. Doncaster have the same team from 2 seasons ago plus 2 extra handy players and are looking good, have gone straight through to Vic Champs in VJBL grading last friday comfortably. As did Melbourne,Knox, Diamond Valley, and Blackburn.

Reply #260927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 14 Boys - Geelong will be tough. Melbourne look the goods. They are very strong with excellent gaurds and a number of 6ft plus big kids! Melb 2 have also qualified for Vic Champs and they have a 6.2ft kid and 4 of the players from their championship classic team from under 12s. Knox will and Diamond Valley will also be up there. If under 12s is anything to go by SA teams will struggle against the top Vic teams!

Reply #260985 | Report this post

Dp  
Years ago

Yeah I left Geelong out as they don't traditionally enter the eltham tournament, but they will be a strong side also.

Reply #261013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody will touch Melbourne in the 14s. They have recruited very strongly in the past few months. Bordering on ruining the competition, but as always, the gap will close as the season goes on.

Reply #261367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong will be extremely good, are returning about 3 or 4 bottom age players from Clubs this year. I do agree that nobody will get near Melbourne in the next few months. Probably one of the strongest teams assembled in U14s for a number of years. Bit of a shame seeing as it was a strong age group and very even across the competition in U12's, and now all the talent has flooded into one team. Purely coincidental!

What is probably helping the competition though, is that all the good coaches seem to be at the other strong clubs. Knox, Dandenong, DV, Blackburn are all extremely well coached, and as said above, the competition always closes the gap.

Reply #261478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, I know Knox and Dandenong have good coaches there but who is at Blackburn and DV ?

Reply #261488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy that has DV is the same guy that had their 16s last year. Has been around a while. Has done some state stuff in the past too. Dont know his name.

Not sure on who has Blackburn.

Reply #261504 | Report this post

charon72  
Years ago

KNOX U/18 girls are also very good

Reply #262343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not hearing much about the boys from SA this year. They had some bad luck in the 16 Nationals dropping to Vic by a basket but have some really good talent, has the agre group for this next years Nationals been depleted by kids going to Footy ?

Also does anyone know much about Nunawading and Wverley 16's and 18's ? Who is coaching them have they improved at all after pretty good years in the past 12 months

Reply #262356 | Report this post

Pallas 74  
Years ago

Teams to watch for Vic girls
12s - 14s Melb and Bulleen always produce.
16s - Nunawading looking good but play Bendigo tournament. Then Dandenong to beat. Melb not too shabby either.
18s - Knox with Dandenong close second.

Reply #262907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for info

Reply #262972 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

melb u14.1 boys have 3 experienced coaches this year. These coaches have won numerous state titles and competed and national titles. They make no fuss and therefore fly under the radar. Maybe thats why kids from other teams flock to melbourne.

Reply #263668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or their Telephone bill is huge

Reply #263674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Telephone bill???? Lucky kids to have 3 experienced coaches. Most teams struggle to find one. Good clubs chase good coaches and this is what will develop good kids and good teams!

Reply #263679 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

ANyone no of what SA clubs have teams competing?

Reply #263681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt are normally there

Reply #263935 | Report this post

Southern Tigers  
Years ago

Southern Tigers

U/16 Girls
U/18 Boys and Girls are travelling across from SA.

Reply #263945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need for a telephone bill, they just waited until the Vic Primary school trials were on at MSAC and did their work then. It's ok though, what goes around comes around.

Reply #264981 | Report this post

Mimas 73  
Years ago

Sturt are sending about 22 teams over.

Funny how they are doing well in SA compared to other clubs

Reply #265003 | Report this post

Dp  
Years ago

Eltham are taking their sweet time to post the fixtures online

Reply #265105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My club are getting regular fixture changes every day, so probably waiting to have them finalized before posting them.

Reply #265126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Werribee 16 boys are going to be the big challange this year, Won VC last year with 4 top age, 3 of them doing the Vic squad training. The coach is very good, be on the Australian Youth team coaching staff

Reply #265319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Melb 1 14 boys last night - they look good. Apparently two new kids (not the best in the team either) but all the rest from last years teams. Sounds like there are some sour grapes between Vic teams!!!

Reply #265618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 boys - sturt have made eliminaton final. only loss in their group was to Melbourne by 40 odd points!
Think they will play Sydney team Hills Hornets - they have a good chance to win and perhaps cross over with Diamond Valley in Semis!

Reply #265671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright it's over now so let's hear it - results, surprises, thoughts?

Reply #265761 | Report this post

Mimas 73  
Years ago

Thouhgts:

Outside of Sturt, only 3 teams from SA attended. Good on South U18 Boys and Southern U16 and U18 girls for coming over.

Sturt made a number of quarter and some semi finals.

But what is the rest of SA thinking? Just not competitive or are we seeing a case of typical South Australians thinking things are too hard?

Not hard too see why Sturt have a reputation of success.

Reply #265765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen won 12 boys as you would expect. Group of kids was just really hard at it and smart with great skills. Eltham got closer than I thought and should be pretty happy with how they ended up for the weekend.

Saw both the U14 boys semi finals - Melbourne destroyed Blackburn in one, and DV got home in a close one over Hills. Blackburn were just too small for Melbourne who are big everywhere. Hills will be pretty good come Nationals should they qualify. Very big team, and run some plays too. DV had a red hot shot at Melbourne in the final, but a few crucial moments went Melbournes way and they won comfortably.

As an aside, there was talk earlier in the post about who was coaching DV. The DV coach (Rob from memory) is a great guy, spoke with him after his game, and he was happy to talk with me about all things hoops. Liked the way he coached his team too, very upbeat and positive all the way through. Clearly doesn't have the strongest team, but is a great coach.

DV won the 16 boys in a great game against Knox - shame it was played on court 2 preventing people from watching comfortably. DV look like a very good team.

Keilor won the 18 boys in a tight one over Waverley. Don't think Waverley had their full team though. Wasn't a bad game, but pretty scrappy.

Dandy beat Kilsyth in the 20s in a physical matchup. Was a good game to watch, really exciting.

Enjoyed that it wasn't ludicrously hot for the tournament this year, and the games on Thursday night helped too. Bring on the next one!

Reply #265789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the finals of 14s too.

I agree re the Diamond Valley coach. He was very positive with his team and rotated all of his players well. Could have easily caused an upset. Come the end of the year they will be a force to reckon with. Geelong will also test both teams

Melboure are big and in the semi final looked awesome. Their kids can all play. Not a week kid amongst the 10 there which is seldom seen! In the the final they tended to go a bit more individual and rely on a couple of players rather than their entire team.

Looking at their roster they will be unstoppable if the coaches can get the team work going and the best from all their players!

Reply #265845 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

I think the number of teams going to Melbourne this year has been limited by this weekend not being a long weekend as it has been in the past.

Reply #265869 | Report this post

;;  
Years ago

School does not go back until Wednesday across Australia so that is pretty poor excuse. Parents could have arranged a day off if they knew in advance of the tournamnet.

Reply #265871 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

;; I don't agree with you, as a parent who's done this trip several times in the past it's not as easy as it may seem. For the teams and parents who did go good luck to them but I have sympathies for the ones who could not make it.

Reply #265873 | Report this post

Mimas 73  
Years ago

So 22 teams could go from 1 club alone.

But only 3 other teams in the entire state were able to make it. Doesn't that sound more like a lack of commitment, rather than lack of ability?

Wow, maybe sturt were able to use a magic wand to get all there kids and parents back for school and work monday. I think they got their magic wand at the same shor they got their magic tree that produces ready made players without coaching.

Reply #265876 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that all div 1 and maybe div 2 Sturt teams are advised they must go to this tourny if they are to play for Sturt. Basketball wise, it's a great idea, just worry about the human side of giving up just about every long weekend and the costs involved. Kids need to be kids but the ones that persevere will prevail.

Reply #265880 | Report this post

Sturty  
Years ago

I will now correct you because you are wrong.

A number of playes were unable to attend because of other commitments. Sturt have always said that January and Easter are recommended, while State Champs and Classics are compulsory.

Div 2 players dont attend June long weekend either.

Reply #265891 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Div 2 players at Sturt do attend June Longweekend - they do it by choice - sometimes they may get a parent to coach a team so they can participate and sometimes the Coach is happy and willing to go. Some of the Div 2 and 3 teams also attend the Mildura Carnival in June and get a lot out of that carnival in the way of team bonding and just playing some ball.
I cant speak for all but most of the kids and parents at Sturt look forward to these carnivals, the experience that is gained as a player playing against Interstate teams is invaluable. A lot of the parents mark it in their calendar for the following year and book accommodation a year in advance.

Reply #265893 | Report this post

Sturty  
Years ago

Agreed, by choice, but not by the club making them.

Reply #265901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kids love going to tournaments. It gives them time to be with their mates and it is great for parents as well.

Ask anyone who has played juniors and their most memorable moments will be the tournaments (and most wont even remember the games, just the fun they had).

Having fun as kids will always be an important component of junior development. Good on you Sturt for pushing this aspect of the game!

Reply #265919 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

Great tournament. All our games are played at Dandenong stadium until finals so good Club presence. There was always a team playing on one of the 16 courts!!

Reply #265926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The DV 16s were very good in the games that I saw, in particular their wins over Werribee, Melbourne and Knox. Very talented group of kids with scorers everywhere. Will be very good all year. Seems to be some very good things going on at DV with their teams all looking good.

Waverley were undermanned in the 18s, and missing some pretty key players. Will be very hard to stop when it gets down to the end of the season, and even Queens birthday weekend.

Reply #265935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that the under 14 melb tigers girls look like a strong team

Reply #305963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754