Isaac
Years ago

Kevin Brooks to coach Woodville

The news at the pub last night is that Kevin Brooks, all set to back-up Rupert Sapwell as Norwood's ABL mens coach this year, has been offered the coaching gig with the Warriors.

The move comes after former Woodville coach, Tracy York, leaves the country to work within basketball in Singapore.

Brooks will inherit probably the ABL's most decimated roster, the Warriors having lost their import, a few veterans, and a couple of starting players.

Topic #2159 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Perhaps "decimated" (your terminology - not mine) for this season, but how many players may want to come to Woodville next season, wanting to play under KB??

Another rumour I have with a very confirmed source is Al Green is also interested in coaching the Warriors Men.

Reply #24417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's a great chance for Woodville's younger players to pick up some experience either way. But that is a decimated roster however you look at it.

Reply #24420 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Don't know if there's any truth to this or not but I have been informed that KB wasn't on the Norwood bench last night . . . .

Perhaps he'll show up on the Woodville bench today.

Reply #24423 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

As far as I know, Tracey isn't leaving until Easter. Woodville have a few weeks ahead of them to find a coach, so I doubt they would have a new coach on the bench as early as round 1.

Reply #24428 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Decimated yes, but a line-up of Birmingham, Wilson, Graves, Fuller, Puddifoot and Rees isn't terrible. Don't write off the Warriors just yet.

Reply #24435 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

Reply #24463 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

well id say that its true that kb will be coaching the warriors after today. he was sitting on the woodville bench during there clash with the tigers and him and york were talking alot.

Reply #24464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but who won!

Reply #24467 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Woodville won both games, by about 7 each I think. Seemingly I was wrong, KB is officially the coach of the Woodville men, he was interviewed this morning and accepted.

Reply #24470 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

thats awsome. all areas. the wins, kb coaching. well done people

Reply #24474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dangerous to write the boys off so early .... names left yes ... players there to step up you betcha

Reply #24477 | Report this post

brooks only wants to be closer to gun dad

Reply #24479 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FLY -- I told you that KB was going to be the coach in the first post. If it was a rumour, I would've said so!

Reply #24488 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

As I also said in my post, it wasn't definate until this morning. Besides, there was a lot of rumours about the new coach going around... who's to know which are in fact true.

Reply #24494 | Report this post

how is the norwood camp handling it - are they pining? or did they wish him all the best?

It will definitely have some effect on the Flames.

It only increases the possiblity of KB playing ABL too - Warriors need that cool hand to guide them.

Reply #24509 | Report this post

wwe  
Years ago

undercover you have got to be kidding. KB will not play ever in this league. For starters he cant because they we are getting an import and secondly could not afford it under sallary cap. And yogee KB wont be there coaching next year to draw players. Does anyone really think KB will be there past this season. Its like a little hobby for him while he is here. And if an offer came to "PLAY" some where else he would be out of here. Just because your a good player dont make you a good coach. I think we made the wrong decision. We have to think to future and bigger picture. Well done on the win trace and the boys anyway. GO WARRIORS

Reply #24511 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Well, one year or not, I've heard whispers that the Big Dog and J-Kidd are considering a return now. Any truth to the rumours?

And a big heads up to Gary Birmingham. Glitter's had the skills to play this level for a number of years now but has waited his turn behind some excellent guards ..... and now we're seeing what that schooling has done for him. Kid got game - way to go Gaz!

Reply #24513 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

FLY

Sorry, but as usual Isaac is on the money. KB's appointment as coach was definite on Friday.

Reply #24515 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Can someone help me out with a few of the Woodville players names...Big young kid in the middle (looks like a mini Trebilcock) and the other guard next to Wilson (is that Birmingham?).
Went out to watch the Woodville game and was very impressed with their intensity that they played at and also Cam Wilson was pretty awesome. Was also impressed with the big fella, doing some good things around the basket and is a exceptional passer. Young team but will upset a number of teams this year.

Reply #24522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zane reeves is his name panther

his uncle is david ingham

Reply #24535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oops should be more specific the big guy is zane reeves

the guard is birmingham

Reply #24536 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Cat in the Hat

Don't know where you get your information, but in this case you are most definitely wrong. KB was approached on Friday but was not appointed until Sunday afternoon when he met with Woodville Management.

Reply #24544 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Anon

The meeting with management was just a formality. KB and Woodville knew well before then that he would be the new coach.

Whatever, who really cares, it's a great pick up for the club.

Reply #24546 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

Hhhmmm, hello immigration dept......?

Reply #24549 | Report this post

Armin Tamzarian  
Years ago

Woodville's hands were probably tied. I doubt KB would of been their first choice. With Tracey all of a sudden pulling the pin,(for obvious reasons) they had to act quick. There isn't too many quality coaches without a gig in SA.

This is a short-term solution, i would imagine. I guess it would give the club abit of profile, but will he actually help woodville? Will he help with the juniors?

Good luck KB & if those boys can play like they did on the weekend they are going to frustrate alot of teams.

Reply #24558 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I cant beleive some people.

Immigration department?? What, you think that both Norwood and Woodville would have breached the laws?

As for being a one year deal, sure it might be a one year contract, but KB is back to live in Adelaide, his fiance (whom he met in his first stint at the 36ers) is an Adelaide girl, and now Brooks' playing career (well, in the higher leagues) is over, they have come back to live.

They have bought a house, and from what I have heard, are looking at starting a family soon.

KB being back in town for good also stregthens the whole Mee back to Adelaide thing as well.

As for when he was signed, does it REALLY matter, apart from some people on this forum wanting to have a pissing contest over whether they are right or not?

Reply #24594 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Can anybody enlighten me on the difference between KB's signing and Steve Spencer and Brannon Hayes?

I thought the reason why they aren't in the league anymore was because they both had jobs that Australians could do. If this is the case, and KB is still an American, what is the difference?

On Woodvilles signing, you would hope a lot of people refused the job before KB was signed (Craig Gilbert, Jason Bray, Dave Smyth, Paul Rigoni, etc etc)

Lommax or Incognito, you got any light on exactly why Brannon (in particular) isn't here still?

Reply #24596 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Why is it, people are now questioning the "legality" of KB's signing, when it was all fine and sweet when he was going to be assistant at Norwood?

Something smells sour around here, must be all those grapes!

Reply #24597 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Ha, no grapes here mate, just wondering why 2 of the best coaches we have seen in this league aren't still here.

It would have been raised at some point during the season anyway. His signing has just brought it to the forefront that's all.

Reply #24599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

david smyth arggggggggghhhhhhhh

Reply #24601 | Report this post

Map of Tassie  
Years ago

KB's coaching credentials are?

Reply #24603 | Report this post

Dusan Vavic  
Years ago

Yogee no sour grapes, but my time with the BASA senior committee an import was either a player or coach. I had been approached by many overseas coaches (mainly Europeans) that wanted to coach at Sturt(mainly juniors). The information I was given then (by BA) was that even though the person might be a coach he was classified by immigration as an import and therefore was under the same rules as an import player, that is, he had to be paid the same basic wage over the same lenght of time.
Now as far as our salary cap is concerned, a coach does not fit into it, and therefore any club can pay what ever they wish their coaches.
Looking at Woodville, from those rules they would be paying KB (as an import) and their future import. I have no problems with that, it is their choice who and how much they pay staff.
I am sure the same would have applied at Norwood if KB was an official assistant coach (would have been an expensive one).
It is possible that some of these rules might have changed but I doubt it.

Good luck to Woodville.

As far as his credentials, what are Fischer's and yet he (officialy) coaches Perth.

Good luck to KB

Reply #24606 | Report this post

Map of Tassie  
Years ago

Yeah right I forgot. No credentials necessary just hire the big names and let them work it out.

Reply #24611 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

what was Phil Smyth's credentials when he took over as coach of the 36ers?

What was Brendan Joyce's when he started at Wollongong, or Goorjian when he started back may years ago?

What was Scott Ninnis' credentials when he started coaching at Sturt?

What was the local clubs U14 Div 4 coaches credentials?

My point - everyone needs someone to give them a chance.

As far as KB goes, if he has married his fiance (which would make her his wife - a fact I dont know at this time), that would make him an Australian citizen through marriage, therefore negating his import status. And thanks for the clarification Dusan, didnt know coaches had the import rule applied to them as well.

Reply #24618 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Dave Ingham to Woodville?

Reply #24619 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

What would Scott Fischer do then libertine - he might actually have to coach next season :)

Reply #24620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does marriage make you an australian citizen

i'll have to check with a source but i don't think you 'automatically' become a citizen on marriage.

otherwise you'd have players coming over here marrying becoming australians as soon as arriving thus negating import status.

i maybe wrong but i believe you have to be married a year before you can apply to become an australian citizen

otherwise there would be too many marriages of convenience. and before anybody says anything in no way am i indicating that kb is marrying for anything other than love

Reply #24629 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

good luck to kb and the warriors, im sure he will be a great coach!! i dont see why people are worried about him being an import or his credentials, as it is irrelevant, we will soon be able to tell how good of a coach he is. I think he will be good, and i hope woodville posses a roster where he can prove himself, where are people expecting woodvilles roster to finnish??

Reply #24633 | Report this post

there is no Finnish, Dutch, german or Russian players on the roster !

Reply #24635 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

KB is not married yet, but when he does he will receive dual citizenship, therefore able to play as an Australian. So really he's quite an attractive employee for the Woodville Basketball club, if he is ok to play that is.

Reply #24667 | Report this post

allan ogg  
Years ago

Dont u have to be married for a few years before you are considered not to be an import?

Reply #24669 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's a huge process to become an Australian citizen due to marriage.

Firstly the other party has to arrive in Australia on a 'finacee visa'. At this stage still not an Aussie citizen. Can only staying in the country for 9 months.

Then you need to approach Immigration an application for marriage, and a boatload of paperwork. This takes months to process. If this is approved, the other half will be proved with a 'spouse visa'. At this stage, still not an Aussie citizen. You are classed as a permanent resident, but can only stay for 24ish months.

After about 24 months, Immigration will come calling looking for proof that the relaionship is still strong blah blah blah, more paperwork, and if you get through that then the person may apply for Australian citizenship.

It takes about 3+ years to become an Aussie citizen.

Reply #24671 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Marrying an Aussie doesn't mean you get instant Aussie citizenship.

Reply #24672 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

KB has been with his girl for longer than 3yrs so he still might be a citizen after they get married

Reply #24673 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Once you have been in the country of 3 years, you can apply for citizenship. Due to the fact that KB is getting married, he will automatically be granted citizenship but he still needs to apply for it. The process takes about 2 months from the time the application/interview is submitted to DIMIA and the ceremony.

Reply #24676 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Length of relationship time means jack.... Still have to prove to Immigration that you are a couple (dual bank accounts, dual bills etc etc), and still have to wait for the proper time periods.

As I said, the process is lengthy and you still have to apply to become an Australian citizen. Criminal convictions (not suggesting anything here so don't jump the gun) can have an impact on being granted a citizen.

I believe Wayne Turner from the Crocs had a work visa cancelled due to having convictions for firearm offences in the States, and was not allowed into Australia. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I guess it depends what KB's current visa is??? Is it a work visa or a spouse visa or a fiancee visa.

Reply #24678 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

TR, nice work mentioning Wayne Turner from the Crocs ..... and jumping the gun in two consecutive paragraphs.

You're not Boti, by any chance?!

Reply #24694 | Report this post

wwe  
Years ago

A status that know one has metioned is when you become a resident which is different to a citizen.
In the end none of that really matters. I think what matters is if he is here for the long hall or can at least committ to a 2 or 3 year tenure. I dont think any club is gonna gain from a coach looking at a 12 month see ya later gig. I dont know what KBs intentions are but I just hoped we asked the question because history would probably suggest we wont see a lot of him. (history meaning other imports) This needs to be an important criteria in an interview process for the benefit of developing our local basketball products. Players AND coaches!!!!!

Reply #24848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754