LC
Years ago

Ater Majok Watch - 2009/10 NCAA Season

This thread is dedicated to tracking Ater's progress during the 2009/10 NCAA Division 1 college season.

Ater was unable to play last NCAA season and thus the 6’10" power forward will be looking to impress this season after pulling out for the 2009 NBA draft and making a high-profile debut with the Australian Boomers in China this earlier this year.

Ater Majok’s pre-season has been affected by a stress fracture in his left tibia. However as he is not eligible to play until 20 December, he will be right to go by then.

Link to ESPN player profile and stats: http://linky.com.au/gb85g

UConn Website: http://linky.com.au/15hno

The University of Connecticut commenced their season on 13 November against William & Mary.

Topic #21605 | Report this topic

Years ago

Hopefully he actually does something at the level he's at this year before he even thinks about the NBA. I realise he was just 'testing the waters', but that's uneccesary if you're at a high-profile school like UConn - all you have to do is play and play well, and NBA people will notice you.

Reply #257496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wont

Reply #257576 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

UConn today won their second straight game to move to a 2-0 record without Majok.

Reply #257593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have highlighted without

Reply #257648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are either a racist, just plain stupid - or both.

Reply #258774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not racist champ. He is a dud, plain and simple!

Reply #258802 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A dud that has already played for the Boomers? I'm not sure if you have exhibited any logic there...

Reply #258831 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: UConn are currently 6-1 to start the season, their only loss coming at the hands of #7 ranked Duke - a game in which Duke's front court struggled, both offensively and in rebounding.

Reply #258838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must have missed his almighty contributions to the Australian Team. Look I may sound harsh, but I truly believe that this guy has let his expectations get ahead of his ability. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I dont think he has the mental capabilities to be any good. He will dissapear into insignificance reasonably quickly.

Reply #258854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell by the way were my comments racist? This is the problem with the written word, many varients can be percieved upon reading.......

Reply #258878 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

THIS IS PART OF THE BASKETBALL AUSTRALIA REPORT AFTER THE BOOMERS, WITH ATER MAJOK, BEAT HOST NATION CHINA EARLIER THIS YEAR TO WIN A TOURNAMENT OVER THERE...

... Boomers head coach Brett Brown was impressed by the spirited performance of his inexperienced team.

"I'm a bit surprised to be honest. With this young group, to come back from ten down and get a win like that on the floor of the host nation - it was a fantastic effort," Brown said.

"AJ Ogilvy made a great play stealing the ball near the end of the game but really it was our collective team defence and holding China to 74 points that won us the game.

“When our guys come with a great energy we can get the job done and we should play like that always. Tonight we’ve over achieved and the boys are happy.

“AJ is the rock of this group and he was terrific tonight and another story is Ater Majok. He had his first legitimate minutes tonight and he was great.

“Harvey embraced his role and gave us a lot, Damien Martin came in with a great spirit and made a physical contribution and Forman hit some big shots."

The Boomers came ready to play and opened up an 8-2 lead in the early stages behind the inside play of Ogilvy and despite some good moments from Majok off the bench China fought back to take a slight lead.

After one quarter the scores were tied 23-23 but just minutes later China had their largest lead, a nine point buffer that looked commanding before Majok followed a nice block with a jump shot, a tip in and a nice low post move to keep the Boomers alive.

FROM MEMORY ATER SCORED 10PTS AND VIDEO OF THE GAME SHOWED HE WAS THE ONLY BIG TO GET BACK ON D EVERY TIME. HE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE HE NEVER STOPS COMPETING AND NEVER STOPS LEARNING, NEVER STOPS TRYING TO BECOME A BETTER PLAYER. HE KNOWS HE HAS FAR TO TRAVEL, BUT HE'S ALREADY COME A LONG WAY AFTER JUST FOUR OR FIVE YEARS SINCE BEING INTRODUCED TO THE GAME. WHAT HE DESERVES IS CREDIT FOR TRYING. HE IS DOING IT. NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT IT.

Reply #258899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK then KK, I will give him credit for trying & getting back on D after his stellar one game performance against China. Good on him and good on you for pointing this out. (you didnt have to yell at me though)

Reply #258932 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#13 Connecticut today defeated Harvard 79-73.

Ater Majok is now just a couple of week's away from finally hitting the hardwood.

Connecticut next plays Kentucky on December 7 Australian at Madison Square Garden in the SEC/BIG EAST Invitational.

Reply #259896 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

FoxSports US

NO EXCUSES FOR CALHOUN, BUT MAJOK IS A DIFFERENCE MAKER FOR HUSKIES
Thursday, December 10, 2009, 12:08 PM EST [General]

Here's the link to my John Wall story after last night's game:

msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10502148/UK%...

I left out one quote from UConn's Kemba Walker on the Kentucky freshman.

"The kid is really good. He has no flaws in his game."

That's high praise for an opposing player to give someone, especially considering Walker and Wall barely know each other.

NEW YORK - UConn fans weren't the only ones worried that their beloved Huskies were going to get run out of Madison Square Garden last night after Kentucky scored the first dozen points of the game.

"I was definitely nervous," admitted UConn sophomore point guard Kemba Walker.

But Walker and his teammates showed something in Madison Square Garden and that's why Huskies coach Jim Calhoun was far from dejected following the last-second 64-61 loss to the No. 4 Wildcats.

It had to hurt Calhoun deep down because of his disdain for UK coach John Calipari, but his team answered some key questions in the loss.

Gavin Edwards, who finished with 16 points and eight rebounds on Wednesday niht, played as tough as he has in his career in Storrs.

Freshman center Alex Oriakhi wasn't overwhelmed despite Kentucky rotating a trio of talented big bodies throughout the game.

And Jerome Dyson and Kemba Walker held their own against Kentucky's young backcourt of John Wall and Eric Bledsoe.

While Calhoun refused to use the absence of long and athletic freshman forward Ater Majok – who becomes eligible on Dec. 20 – as an excuse, there's no doubt that he's going to make an immediate impact.

"A lot of people don't know, but Ater's going to make a major impact," Walker said. "He can do it all."

"Now Stanley (Robinson) won't have to play the four anymore," Calhoun said.

And maybe as critical, Charles Okwandu won't have to play at all.

It gives what is currently an extremely thin UConn team another frontline guy. Majok is skilled, long and athletic and should be effective in transition due to his athleticism.

"When Ater comes back, we can answer them player for player," Calhoun admitted.

Right now, he's at least one short.

Calhoun will also have to find a way to get something out of one of his reserve guards, which has been a struggle thus far.

Donnell Beverly is the veteran of the group but a role guy. Freshmen Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Jamal Trice and Darius Smith, meanwhile, just don't appear to be ready.

Reply #261181 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1049&tx_ttnews[backPid]=284&cHash=1acbb476d1

Basketball Australia report on the apparent influence of Ater Majok on the basketball-playing Sudanese community in Australia, December 2009.

Reply #261362 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1049&tx_ttnews[backPid]=284&cHash=1acbb476d1

Basketball Australia report on the apparent influence of Ater Majok on the basketball-playing Sudanese community in Australia, December 2009.

Reply #261363 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Projected #1 NBA draft pick John Wall hit a dagger at the death to sink UConn in their recent matchup.

PS: That article was posted in it's own thread last week.

Reply #261371 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Journey almost complete for Majok: Sudan native set to suit up for Huskies
By David Borges, New Haven Register, Conn.
Dec. 13--STORRS -- One week from today, in a game where the focus might otherwise be on Marcus Jordan's footwear, Ater Majok will check in at the scorer's table within the first few minutes of play -- or possibly even be introduced in the starting lineup -- and step out onto the XL Center floor.
At that point, Majok will have c o m p l e t e d a remarkable journey, one in which he has overcome civil war in his native Sudan, the bleak conditions of an Egyptian refugee camp, a different and foreign culture in Australia, the sometimes contradictory NCAA Eligibility Center and, most recently, questions about his recruitment.
At some point, Majok, a 6-foot-11 forward with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, will block a shot, maybe haul in a rebound, perhaps slam home a two-handed putback dunk. Tears will well in the eyes of assistant coach Andre LaFleur, who spearheaded Majok's recruitment to UConn through his ties in Australia . In Hartford , the crowd will go wild; in his adopted hometown of Sydney , and perhaps in his true hometown of Khartoum , Sudan , thousands of his countrymen will swell with pride.
Ater Majok's next journey will have officially begun.
"I'm going to be more happy than anyone, knowing what he's gone through to have this opportunity," said LaFleur. "His first basket, or block, or anything positive, is going to probably be very emotional for me."
For Majok, his long-anticipated UConn debut next Sunday at 1 p.m. against Central Florida will bring more of a sense of relief than anything else.
"Man, I just can't wait," he said, bedecked in a sweater, slacks and tie prior to a recent UConn home game. "It's been a long time. There have been a lot of hiccups, a lot of road bumps. It was a hard journey."
Indeed.
Majok may end up being the missing ingredient that helps put the Huskies over the top. Head coach Jim Calhoun has trumpeted his impending arrival after nearly every UConn game thus far.
Or, he could be another Ajou Deng, who never materialized into the star so many expected. Or something in between. For his part, Majok believes he will be a difference-maker for the Huskies.
"I'm a very energetic player," he said. "I'm all over the place. I bring shot-blocking, rebounding and defense, and also scoring. What we need right now is rebounding and blocking shots, and that's the first thing I'm going to bring to the table. Scoring will be there, but my main focus is filling in what the team needs."
LaFleur concurs, though he pleads for patience.
"It's important for him to realize he doesn't have to come in and score 30 points and get 20 rebounds, just because we've been talking about him for two years," said the coach. "He has to have a positive impact on the team."
Still, no matter how Majok's UConn career unfolds -- whether he's the next Ajou Deng or Emeka Okafor -- he has already had a positive impact on the basketball world.
A TRAIL BLAZER
This past August, after completing summer courses at UConn, Majok earned a spot on the Australian national basketball team -- better known as the Boomers. Coached by current San Antonio Spurs assistant Brett Brown, Majok helped the Boomers win their first-ever Boris Stankovic Continental Cup in Kunshan City, China, defeating Turkey, Angola and the host nation.
Brown, a former Boston University player who coached professionally in Australia for 16 years before joining the Spurs in 2002, had never seen Majok play before training camp. But his name was familiar.
"In the latter part of my coaching days, I had heard about a player named Ater Majok," Brown recalled. "He was like a ghost, sort of clandestine in regards to identifying who were the people influencing him, where did he play, could you get him on a phone to recruit him."
With the blessing of Calhoun and the Huskies' program, Brown selected Majok for the team and, in the process, made history: Majok became the first African native to play for the Boomers.
At first, Majok had reservations. He had lived in Australia since 2001, after spending eight years in an Egyptian refugee camp. Despite some obvious obstacles, the Australian community had essentially welcomed him and his family with open arms.
Majok loved the idea of representing his adopted homeland, but wondered if he'd be letting his fellow Sudanese down by playing on the Australian team.
"He was very conflicted on how it would look to his community," LaFleur recalled.
But Majok decided to play and helped the Boomers to international victory. He scored 10 points on 5-for-7 shooting in the win over China , though his playing time was sparse after that.
"He surprised me, he surprised his teammates," said Brown. "On that stage, to do what he did right out of the gate was very impressive."
Now, if not Jackie Robinson , he is an icon to thousands of Sudanese-Australians. Next weekend, 24 teams of young Sudanese will play in a national basketball tournament in Sydney , hoping to follow in Majok's rather large footsteps.
"They are very impressed how the Australian Boomers gave Ater a chance to play," tournament organizer Mayor Chagai recently told the Daily Telegraph of Australia.
Edward Smith, who coached Majok in Australia and has won humanitarian awards for his work with the country's Sudanese refugees, added by phone: "That was big for them, especially the young kids, to know they have a chance to play for the national team. They're a new group in a new country, trying to crack into the ranks of basketball. To have Ater open those doors that have been closed before is special."
Brown will coach the Australians in next year's world championships in Istanbul , as well as in the 2012 London Olympics. Majok, he said, is "on our radar" -- though, like LaFleur, he warns UConn fans for patience.
"He is truly in the infant stages of his development," Brown said. "He's raw. He's highlymotivated, highly enthusiastic. There's not lack of self-belief. But from a skills perspective, he's just scratching the surface."
'A Boy to a Man, By Myself'
Ater Majok was born on the Fourth of July, 1987 in Sudan 's capital city of Khartoum , in the midst of Sudan 's second civil war in the span of a decade.
"I don't have a lot of memories of Sudan ," he said, "but most of the memories I have aren't memories that a normal kid would have. Memories that I wouldn't sit down and smile about, but I wouldn't cry about them, either. That's just life, you've just got to deal with it."
At age 6, Majok, his mother, Amer Jacob, and three younger brothers (Kashual, Orokey and Jacob) moved to Egypt and settled in a refugee camp. His father, James, who worked in administrative education, had to stay behind because of "something to do with the government," according to Majok.
Majok doesn't like to talk much about some of the hardships he incurred in his childhood, but he admits the toughest thing he's ever had to do was move to a different country without his father.
"It's a tough society in Egypt to grow up without a father," he said. "It was hard for me to move to Egypt and live there for eight years without my father. I basically grew up from a boy to a man by myself."
Majok, a member of the Dinka tribe that has also spawned Manute Bol and Luol and Ajou Deng, encountered racism and ethnic hatred. He once had his ear sliced open by a gang of Egyptians who had chased him down.
"It was tough living in an Arab world, where basically they don't like Africans," he said. "But ... it made me a stronger person. It made me what I am today."
James Majok eventually was able to rejoin the family, and Majok's parents appealed to the United Nations for a humanitarian visa. After a long wait, and through the help of an uncle who was already living in Australia , Majok, 13 at the time, his parents and brothers were able to move to Sydney . (He has two sisters, Agum and Awod, who are still trying to get out of an Egyptian refugee camp).
Although Sydney represented a relative haven, there were cultural obstacles, some racism. Majok concentrated on his education, taking English courses and enrolling at a pair of prestigious high schools while playing soccer and volleyball. By the time he was 15, Majok was 6-foot-7.
"We thought it was time to go in a different direction," Smith said with a chuckle.
A few years later, at the American International School in Carlingford, Majok was averaging 28 points, 11 rebounds, seven blocks and four assists per game. In November, 2007, during his school's summer break, Majok came to the U.S. to play for the Heat Basketball Academy , a sort of basketball boarding school in Martinsville , Va. It was here where Majok first caught the attention of UConn.
HE'S READY
Assistant coach Patrick Sellers first saw Majok play in a tournament in Virginia .
"I couldn't believe how long and skilled and athletic he was, and that somebody like that was so under-the-radar," Sellers recalled.
Majok had hooked up with the Heat Academy through the friendship of Smith and Jason Niblett, the Heat's coach. Smith is also a close friend of LaFleur, who played and coached for 12 years in Australia . A little over a month later, LaFleur was flying to Australia to meet with Majok's family.
"When you recruit a lot and you see a lot of what people call the so-called top 10, top 20 players in the country, you see very, very talented guys, and they take a lot of plays off because they're physically more talented," LaFleur said. "Ater plays the same way every time. I don't think I've ever seen him at a different level of intensity. That doesn't mean he always plays great, that means he always plays hard."
After spurning suitors like Kentucky and Kansas , Majok committed to UConn in May, 2008, hoping for a chance to play alongside fellow African Hasheem Thabeet. That didn't happen, as a long wait for eligibility ensued.
It had nothing to do with his performance in the classroom -- Majok speaks four languages (English, Arabic, Dinka and some Italian) and is a good student. However, because he went to two different school systems in Australia -- the Australian-based curriculum of Parrametta Marist and St. Aloysius, and the American-based courses at American International, which awards U.S. diplomas -- the NCAA Eligibility Center had a tough time interpreting his transcripts.
Finally, after months of exchanging documents and waiting, Majok was cleared to enroll at UConn on Jan. 21. He'd have to wait nearly a year to be able to play, however.
More issues followed: reports by espn.com and Yahoo! Sports alleged that former team manager turned agent Josh Nochimson was a pervasive presence around Majok at the Kentucky Derby All-Star Festival in April, 2008. Majok was one of the first players interviewed by the NCAA in its review of UConn's alleged improprieties, however, and appears to be in the clear.
After UConn's run to the Final Four, Majok dipped his toes in the NBA waters, figuring it was worth a shot to at least market himself a bit to pro scouts and brass. He never truly expected to leave Storrs .
"I will be back," he told Calhoun.
And here he is. After overcoming civil war, refugee camps, separation from his father, racism, the NCAA and media reports, Majok is simply ready for some basketball.
"I'm coming in and doing what I've got to do," he said. "I believe I can make a big difference for the team."
One thing is certain: no hard screen, double-team or hollering head coach will offer more of a challenge than what Ater Majok has already been through.
"He's a kid that's seen probably more than a lot of adults have seen, coming from some family circumstances none of us can imagine, having to be relocated to another country, learn another language, and still have the ability, talent and support to succeed," said LaFleur.
"He's somebody to root for."

Reply #261398 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Home > Sports > Uconn Men UConn Men: Majok Should Help Frontcourt
UP NEXT: Central Florida, Sunday at XL Center, 1 p.m., Ch 59, SNY | ROSTER | SCHEDULE/RESULTS/RECAPS

Related
Pictures: Kentucky 64, UConn 61
UConn Gets Commitment From New York Wing
Kentucky vs. UConn Box Score
Photos
Pictures: UConn 79, Harvard 73
Pictures: UConn 92, Boston University 64
Pictures: UConn 77, Colgate 63
See more photos »
X Pictures: UConn 88, UMass-Lowell 50 (Exhibition)
UConn Stars: When They Were In High School
UConn Huskies On Twitter
Ben Gordon
Getting By Without The Top Dog
Kemba Walker
Final Four: Michigan State 82, UConn 73 Video
Game and Postgame Video: UConn Men Rout BU
Video: Jim Calhoun's Comments After Hofstra Game
Video: The Courant's Mike Anthony Talks About UConn-Hofstra
See more videos »
XVideo: UConn Players Talk About Hofstra Game Multimedia
Quote: Text Alerts
Poll: Pick One Game To Go To
Stories
LSU vs. UConn Box Score
Once Again, It's UConn-Duke
2009-10 UConn Men's Schedule/Results
Topics
Big East Conference
University of Connecticut
Jim Calhoun
See more topics »
XBasketball
Football By MIKE ANTHONY

The Hartford Courant

December 15, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

Before the season, UConn coach Jim Calhoun and his staff said they expected the Huskies to be a "January or February team." That meant they didn't expect the team to realize its potential until the season is in full swing — after a new player, 6-foot-11 forward Ater Majok, gets into the flow and a few newcomers in important positions get acclimated.

Indeed, UConn (6-2) is still searching for its best. While there have been two losses and a few close calls, there are some positive signs.

•WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED

UConn is versatile and relentless in transition and has a terrific nucleus of open-court players, but the Huskies struggle shooting from the perimeter and are prone to rebounding and defensive lapses because of a lack of depth up front. The Huskies, whose only losses came against Top 10 teams (Duke and Kentucky), have a tendency to play to the level of their competition. Jerome Dyson has done just about everything, even if his sometimes-erratic nature seems to mirror that of the entire team. UConn's core has had to play too many minutes as reserves struggle, and the Huskies are sorely in need of another body — which they now have in Majok.

•BEST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE

Dyson had 24 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists Dec. 6 against Harvard. He shot just 8-for-23, but without his all-around play for 38 minutes, perhaps Jeremy Lin and the Crimson pull off the upset. The Huskies won, 79-73. Dyson is averaging 19.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and five assists. His rebounding has helped make up for a thin frontcourt and he runs the point on occasion as Kemba Walker improves his shooting off the ball and works toward being able to better run the half-court offense.

•BEST TEAM

PERFORMANCE

The Huskies' 64-61 loss to Kentucky last Wednesday in New York left Calhoun disappointed but encouraged.

UConn trailed 12-0 but played with poise and heart thereafter, taking a one-point lead into the final minute. In the end, John Wall and the Wildcats had a few too many answers. But if the Wildcats are as good as everyone thinks, it was encouraging to see UConn keep pace.

•BEST JIM CALHOUN QUOTE

"I was really proud to coach my team tonight. I'll have a sleepless night, but I'll take away some pride. The bus ride home will be with a team I'm proud of." — Calhoun after the loss to Kentucky, which sent UConn into the exam break with a record of 6-2 but was a good performance to build on.

•WHAT LIES AHEAD

An important three-game stretch against Central Florida, Maine and Iona in which Majok will join the rotation as the Huskies hope to fine-tune their play for the final 20 games of the season, 18 against Big East opponents and nonconference matchups with No.2 Texas and Michigan.
Copyright © 2009, The Hartford Courant

Reply #261559 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KK, can you please quote just a bit of these articles and then link to the original source for the rest? Just avoids copyright issues, that's all.

Reply #261564 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

ok, my apols.

Reply #261575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

quote fail

not the first or last fail in this thread

Reply #261688 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-ucmen1220dec20,0,2212171.story

Calhoun assessed Ater's strengths and weaknesses as he prepares to debut today...

Reply #262021 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

You know "anonymous": Hatred is a health hazard. It causes cancer. Go easy on yourself mate because you are shaping up as a prime candidate. Seriously.You're even hating on me now because I Don't hate Ater. Where is your sick head at???

Reply #262039 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/sports/ncaabasketball/20uconn.html

New York Times story on Ater Majok's impending debut for UCONN

Reply #262043 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4751486&name=katz_andy

ESPN on Ater Majok's imminent debut for UCONN

Reply #262053 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Majok is in action right now...

Reply #262072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gV8Ceq86wWbZ6DwpiLeJ2u-JARawD9CN8IA81

Ater Majok makes an unhappy debut for UCONN in his first actual game for two years. Haters rejoice.

Reply #262080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #262086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He left the game for the final time late in the second half after Calhoun used an expletive and told him to sit down."

Quoted to be noted

Reply #262088 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In his debut against UCF, Ater Majok and UConn posted a 60-51 win.

Majok started and scored just 1 point on 0/2 shooting and 1/2 on free throws. He also had 3 rebounds and 1 turnover.

As quoted from the ESPN Recap in full and within context:

"Majok started and received a standing ovation when he was introduced. He played just 2½ minutes and got a seat on the bench after his man, Keith Clanton, scored four quick points."

"He received another ovation when he made a free throw with just over 4½ minutes left in the first half, his only point of the game. That was the highlight of his night. He left the game for the final time late in the second half after Calhoun used an expletive and told him to sit down."

"I take that as a motivation," Majok said. "The more he cusses me out on the court, the more he yells at me, the more I know that he loves me and at the end of the day he wants me to be the best I can be."

Reply #262091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/AP-Connecticut-UCF-122009

More extensive report of Ater's debut for UCONN. Includes several quotes from Ater and some others. The entire UCONN team were booed at halftime by Huskies fans.

Reply #262093 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/indepth/horror-college-debut-for-ater-majok/story-e6freyj0-1225812433204

Australian wire service take on Ater's "horror debut" :)

Reply #262168 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Played MJ's lad Marcus in that game.

Reply #262242 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ater Majok played his second game for UConn today, and started yet again in their win over Maine, 71-54.

Majok scored 5 points on 2/3 shooting (1/2 FT) and also had 4 rebounds, 2 blocks and no turnovers in a game were he was plagued by foul trouble after a great start to the game that ultimately limited his time.

This from the ESPN Recap: "Ater Majok, UConn's 6-foot-11 freshman forward, had a better night than his one-point debut against UCF."

The #11 ranked UConn now improve to 8-2 on the season, and next play against Iona on the 28 December Australian time.

Reply #262364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phew! Bout time he had a good game! Take that anon hater. You will be eating those nasty comments you made earlier.

Reply #262492 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Dear anon, patience is a virtue. In time the truth will reach the darkest recesses, even of your bleak and barren mind

Reply #262638 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#11 Connecticut today defeated Iona 93-74.

Ater Majok started and played 16 minutes in total, scoring 2 points on 1/2 shooting to go with 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 turnovers.

UConn now has a 9-2 overall record and next plays against Cincinatti on 31 December Australian time.

Reply #262659 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2009/12/ater-majok-vs-iona.html

Ater Majok vs. Iona
By
Mike Anthony
on December 27, 2009 7:22 PM
Ater Majok's numbers aren't jumping off the stat sheet, but UConn fans should be encouraged in that he's looked more comfortable and more active in each of his three games.
Majok had two points, six rebounds and three blocks in 16 minutes Sunday against Iona. He would have played more, Jim Calhoun said, had Iona not so heavily relied on perimeter players.
"Ater's engine was the best it's been," Calhoun said. "I thought he played hard."
Majok scored on a drive to the basket, and missed a left-handed hook. Defensively, he was strong.
"Ater's making a difference in the middle," Calhoun said. "He walled up four times and blocked three shots, so that's seven shots they didn't shoot over him."
Calhoun is getting great production from Gavin Edwards but he needs more, offensively, from Majok and Alex Oriakhi. He called getting those two more ready and willing to score UConn's "special project" in the coming days.

Reply #262668 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1068&cHash=f123c4d160

Sudanese playing in national tournament in Sydney inspired by Boomers recognition of Ater Majok

Reply #262669 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/12/23/majok/

Reply #262699 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

UConn and Ater Majok are in action against Cincinatti today.

Reply #262780 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#10 Connecticut lost to Cincinnati today in a nailbiter, 69-71.

Ater Majok had an indifferent game, not taking a shot, but recording just 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers in 20 minutes as a starter.

UConn next face Notre Dame on 2 January Aussie time.

Reply #262808 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/01/ater-majok-trying-to-fit-in.html

Ater "trying to fit in" is reported as "skilful but tentative" in Cincinnati

Reply #263042 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/010210aab.html

Ater got just 4mins as UCONN dominated Notre Dame 80-72, breaking away in the second half to run to a 10-3 record this season.

Reply #263043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad I'm being patient

Reply #263060 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The #10 ranked Connecticut defeated Notre Dame 82-70 and move out to a 10-3 overall record.

Ater Majok started again but went scoreless, recording just 1 rebound, 1 block and 1 turnover in a paltry 4 minutes.

With a new ranking of #13, the Huskies backed up with a win over Seton Hall 71-63.

Ater Majok started yet again and this time scored 3 points on 1/2 shooting, including 1/1 from the line. He also had 2 rebounds, 3 blocks and no turnovers in a better looking 14 minutes of game time.

The #13 ranked UConn now have an 11-3 overall record and take on the #12 ranked Georgetown on Sunday Australian time in what promises to be game of the week! Let's hope Ater can start contributing more on the stat line and get some mre minutes.

Reply #263629 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The #13 Connecticut this morning lost to #12 Georgetown 69-72, now moving to an 11-4 overall record.

Ater Majok continued his string of starting gigs however went scoreless on 0/1 shooting. He had just 2 fouls and no other stats in just 8 minutes on court.

UConn led by 19 points late in the first half, and by 15 at halftime, but the Hoya's came back in the 2nd half behind a career-high 33 points to Austin Freeman, 28 of whcih came in the 2nd half. UConn lost its third straight conference road game and its fourth straight against a ranked opponent, dating back to last season.

The Huskies with a 2-2 conference record next face Pittsburgh on 14 January.

Reply #263720 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

George Blaney On The UConn Frontcourt
By Mike Anthony on January 8, 2010 6:43 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
UConn is encouraged by the improved play of Charles Okwandu, Ater Majok and Alex Oriakhi -- and, of course, the steady contributions of Gavin Edwards.

"I think we said all along that we probably were going to be a January-February team, that we were going to get better at that time," associate head coach George Blaney said. "And it looks to me like over the last week or so, particularly with the emergence of Charles Okwandu - that helped us more than anybody can imagine. Just the fact that he put 10 points on the board coming off the bench, a big getting those kind of points, all of the sudden Alex is doing it, Ater is doing it, Gavin has done it all year. We're getting more production from the front line. That's going to make us a much better offensive team."

Continue reading George Blaney On The UConn Frontcourt.

Reply #263806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still doing well I see.

Two points in 4 mins court time in latest game vs Georgetown.

Reply #264279 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#14 Connecticut today lost their second straight game to #20 Pittsburgh 47-57.

Ater Majok started and scored 4 points on 2/2 shooting which is more pelasing to see. He also had 1 rebound, 1 steal, 2 blocks with no turnovers in just 10 minutes of action.

UConn next play against Michigan on 18 January Australian time.

Reply #264299 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Gee anon.. you sound positively deliriously delighted to see your fellow Aussie struggling. Well, at least someone is happy.

Reply #264485 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The #21 Connecticut got a much needed win today against St John's, running out 75-59 winners.

Ater Majok came off the bench yet again and this time scored 2 points on 1/2 shooting. He also had 3 rebounds and 2 turnovers in just 9 minutes fo court time.

Ater needs to continue progressing and is likely to get a big chance to be THE player on next season's team.

Connecticut are now 12-6 on the season and 3-3 in Big East conference play. They next face #1 ranked Texas in non-conference play on 24 January Australian time.

Reply #265350 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#21 ranked Coninecticut today defeated the #1 ranked Texas, 88-74. In winning, UConn won their first game against a ranked opponent this season after losing their last 4 attempts. The game was broadcast live on One HD and it was a good game to watch.

Ater Majok was reinstated to the starting lineup and played arguably his best game to date and getting some serious burn time today. He scored 5 points on 1/5 shooting and 3/6 on free throw's. He blew a couple of lefty layups that with more game time he should make in future. However it was on the defensive end where Majok excelled as he blocked or changed shots regularly. He also had 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 blocks and no turnovers in 32 minutes.

UConn are now 13-6 on the season and 4-3 in conference play. They next face Providence on 28 January Australian time.

Reply #265708 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Ater Majok Makes Things Happen Vs. Texas
By

Mike Anthony
on January 24, 2010 2:15 PM | Permalink | Comments (1)

Ater Majok was all over the place Saturday against Texas. Associate coach George Blaney and the staff thought his length and athleticism might be able to help the Huskies better keep up with Texas, big and versatile. And while Majok made just one of five field goal attempts, he had five points, six rebounds and four blocks.

"This is the thing: I'm not the scorer on the team yet, I'm not the best rebounder," Majok said. "But I can be the energy man. You have to bring that energy, that heart. I could have done a lot better, but it's a start."

Majok sat out the first eight games, and his long awaited arrival was met with the sobering realities. He has been sometimes overwhelmed. Not Saturday. He was all energy.

UConn's most impressive play came early. From about half court, Jerome Dyson threw a lob to Stanley Robinson for a ferocious dunk. Ater Majok made it happen but diving for a loose ball and knocking it to Dyson.

"I loved the way he played today," Blaney said. "He got everybody's motor going. hit the floor three times. He altered a bunch of shots. He made real progress today. ... I probably didn't expect [31 minutes] but I thought his length would help us in this game, and I thought we could run [Dexter] Pittman a little more."

Pittman fouled out and had just five points and five rebounds in 15 minutes.

Majok said he misses coach Jim Calhoun. "Miss him yelling at me," he said. Calhoun might not have had much to yell about Saturday. Majok showed a comfort and confidence had had not over his first 10 games.

Reply #265835 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LekI2Dn7Nso

Good quality TV highlight video of UCONN v TEXAS. Ater Majok wears No.5. The Huskies fans go bananas. Audio UP! :)

Reply #265910 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After accoutning for the #1 ranked team in their last start, today the #19 ranked Connecticut capitulated to Providence 66-81 in a big let down.

Ater Majok returned to the starter's lineup and had a minimal impact, faling to score on 0/1 shooting and recordinging just 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block and 1 turnover in 19 minutes.

UConn now have a 13-7 overall record and are 3-4 in conference play. They next face Marquette on 31 January Australian time.

Reply #266196 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The #19 ranked Connecticut now have a 13-8 overall record and are 3-5 in conference play after losing to Marquette, 68-70.

Ater Majok once again started and this time scored career-high 7 points on 3/6 shooting that included 1/2 on free throw's. He also had career-highs in rebounds and block with 7 and 4 respectively, and had 2 turnovers in playing just 18 minutes.

UConn now have an uphill battle to qualify for the NCAA Tourney despite having the toughest schedule of any team. They next play against Louisville on the 2 February Australian time and wil be desperate for a stabilising win.

Reply #266588 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut's season and NCAA tourney aspirations continued to slide away as the Huskies today l;ost to Louisville, 69-82. UConn has fallen out of the national top 25 rankings and now has a less than impressive 13-9 overall record and is just 3-6 in conference play.

Ater Majok started once again but was largely ineffective in offence and did not take a shot. However he did pick up 5 rebounds, 1 steal and 2 blocks with no turnovers in limited action.

The Huskies next play against De Paul on 7 February Australian time and another loss could just about pyut a final nail in the coffin for their tourney chances.

Reply #266761 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Dyson Scores 20 in 64-57 Men's Basketball Victory Against DePaul
Senior guard scores 20-or-more for 25th time in his career

The Huskies got another strong performance from freshman forward Ater Majok (Sydney, Australia). Majok scored six points, blocked a career-best five shots in a career-high 32 minutes of game action. Freshman center Alex Oriakhi (Lowell, Mass.) had nine points and six rebounds, while Walker had nine points as well.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020610aaa.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/game23.html

Reply #267216 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Ater has a big family: Here's a story about a cousin, Majok Majok :) - also in the US, also an Ed Smith protege...

http://ballislifeonline.ning.com/profiles/blogs/article-on-majok-majok-10?xg_source=activity

After a quality summer on the circuit with Connecticut Basketball Club, the
6-foot-8, 225-pound big man hit the gym for some serious pre-season
conditioning. By all accounts the hard work is paying off.

³He's really on a different level,² Northfield (Mass.) Mount Hermon coach
John Carroll told Scout.com. ³His conditioning has him at a point where he's
doing things he's never done before.²

Over the last 10 games, Majok is averaging 19 points and 15 rebounds. That
stretch includes a monster outing against South Kent where he recorded 19
points, 26 rebounds and five blocks.

Reply #267219 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut defeated De Paul, 64-57 yesterday to break a 3 game losing skid.

Ater Majok started and had a quality all-round outing, scoring 6 points on a perfect 3/3 shooting. He also had 4 rebounds, 1 assist, a career-high 5 blocks and recorded no turnovers in playing a healthy 32 minutes.

UConn are now 14-9 on the season and improve to 4-6 in conference play. They next play #3 Syracuse on 11 February Australian time.

Reply #267295 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The #3 ranked Syracuse today proved far too strong for Connecticut despite a late game comeback. The Huskies ended up going down 67-72 in what is turning out to be a miserable season.

Ater Majok once again started and this time scored 2 points on 1/4 shooting that was complemented by 3 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 turnover before he ran out of fouls to give late in the game (to stop the clock), playing just 11 minutes in total for the entire game.

UConn is now a poor 14-10 on the season and just 4-7 in conference play. They are now unlikley to get an invite to the NCAA tourney...and instead are looking at a battle to even make the NIT! They next play against Cincinnati on the 14 February Australian time.

Reply #267646 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With their season on the line and caoch Calhoun back in control, Connecticut today lost to Cincinnati, 48-60 and with it it seems a ticket to the NCAA tournament.

Ater Majok had minimal influence. He went scoreless on 0/2 shooting and had just 1 steal and 1 block in 8 minutes as a starter.

The Huskies are now a miserable 14-11 on the season and just 4-8 in conference play. They next play against #5 ranked Villanova on 18 January Australian time.

Reply #267934 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut yesterday stunned the #3 ranked Villanova, recording an amazing 84-75 win!

Unfortunately for Ater Majok, he had very little impact on the game despite starting yet again. He failed to put up a shot and recorded just 1 rebound along with 2 turnovers in playing just 9 minutes.

Connecticut are now 15-11 on the season and 5-8 in conference play. They next take on Rutgers on 21 February Australian time.

Reply #268242 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut is on somewhat of a mini-revival as they won back-to-back games in overcoming Rutgers 76-58. Again, Ater Majok had little influence on the result.

Ater Majok scored just 2 points on 1/1 shooting to go with 4 rebounds, 1 block and no turnovers in 11 only minutes despite starting again.

Connecticut improve to 16-11 on the season and 6-8 in the Big East. They need to keep winning and their next assignment in #8 West Virginia tomorrow will not be easy...

Reply #268742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been awhile since I have visited. But after a quick scan, the phrases "minimal influence" and "little impact" have been used alot.

UCONN must be thrilled. He has been a part of the program two years now right?
He could always make himself elligable for the NBA draft AGAIN this year.

Reply #268884 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut today continud on their recent path of destruction in cutting down #8 ranked West Virginia, eventually holding off a late challenge to win 73-62.

Ater Majok saw 17 minutes of action as a starter and scored 3 points on 1/3 shooting and hit 1/2 from the line. He also had 2 rebounds, 1 block and no turnovers before fouling out. He played an important role in helping negate the Mountaineer's plethora of forwards.

UConn's resurgence now has them at 17-11 on the season and they improve to 7-8 in the Big East. The Huskies next face fellow bubble team Louisville on 29 February, and if they want to see post season action it really is a must-win game.

Reply #268925 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut today failed to take down Big East and fellow NCAA Tourney bubble rivals Louisville, going down 76-78 in a close one.

Ater Majok didn't really didn't get a chance to have an influence. Despite starting, he logged only 2 minutes of action, missing his one and only shot and didn't manage any other stats - not even a turnover!

The Huskies are now 17-12 on the season and have a 7-9 losinmg recording in the Big East. The loss to Louisville may yet knock them out of tourney contention. They still have 2 more Big East games to go, but next up on 4 March Australian time is the streaking Notre Dame who are also riding the bubble. A loss to them shoudl all but end their tourney hopes.

Reply #269524 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut'S NCAA tourney prospects today took a massive nosedive after they lost to Notre Dame, 50-58.

Ater Majok continued to start and this time managed to score 4 points on 2/4 shooting. In fact Majok played 17 minutes - way up on normal - also picking up 5 rebounds and 2 turnovers in his time on court.

The Huskies fall to 17-13 on the season and are just 7-10 in Biog East conference play. They round out the Big East regular season with a game against South Florida on 7 march Australian time. The NIT is now probably the best UConn could hope for.

Reply #269810 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut today lost thier final chance to push for at at-=large NCAA toruney berth today, going down to South Florida, 68-75.

Ater Majok however had his best game in months! Majok scored 6 points on 3/5 shooting alongside 6 rebounds. He also had 1 assist and a career-high 6 blocked shots and 2 turnovers in a much improved 29 minutes of game time.

Connecticut finish their regular season with a very disappointing 17-14 ovrall record and were just 7-11 in Big East conference play. In all likelihood, they will now miss the NCAA Tournament and instead get invited to the NIT.

Reply #269981 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

TAMPA, Fla. — Jim Calhoun was hardly in a mood to dole out praise for any individual Saturday.

But even the upset UConn coach could see that he got more out of Ater Majok than he ever has in the 75-68 loss to South Florida at the Sun Dome.

Majok, who was initially part of the group of players Calhoun angrily pulled from the game, returned with just more than nine minutes to play and made an impact. He finished with a career-best six blocked shots, six rebounds and six points in 29 minutes.

"I thought Ater had his best game," Calhoun said. "Not only did he block (six) shots, he altered another five or six. He played much better than what he has."

Majok scored four of his points in the first half, including getting UConn's first basket of the game. He was not an offensive force, but he did make life difficult for the Bulls inside. He was active throughout the game and appeared more confident in what he was doing than he has since gaining his eligibility in mid-December.

Majok wasn't quite as happy with his play as Calhoun, however.

"It's not my best game because we lost," Majok said. "A game is not a good game until we win. I can average zero, zero and zero but if we win, that's a good game for me."

Reply #270026 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut today lost in the first round of the big East Tournament to St. John's, getting done over 51-73.

Ater Majok had little influence, going 0/2 from the field and scoring just 1 point on a paltry 1/5 from the line. He did also manage 2 rebounds, 3 blocks and no thankfully turnovers in only 17 minutes as a starter.

UConn's chances of earning an at-large NCAA tournament ticket are now extinguished. The best they can hope for now is an invite to the NIT. The Huskies who reached the Final Four last season, has not won a game in the Big East tournament since the 2005 quarterfinals!

Reply #270244 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut were today confirmed as receiving an invite to play in the NIT after missing out on an NCAA torunament ticket.

Connecticut as the #4 seed have been drawn to play against #5 seed Northeastern in the first round. Northeastern also boast an Aussie of their own in guard Mathiang Muo. The game is scheduled to be played on 17 March Australian time.

Reply #270772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Connecticut just managed to hang on in order to defeate Northeastern today in the first round of the NIT, prevailing 59-57.

Ater Majok was relegated from the starting lineup to the bench and played just 1 minute and failing to record any stats.

A pretty disappointing outcome for Majok, however I suspect Calhoun is showcasing his seniors in preparation for the NBA draft and their European professional prospects.

Reply #271014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still dominating I see.

Reply #271168 | Report this post

dj mofo  
Years ago

Should come back to Sydney and try to get a spot on the bench for the new Sydney Kings

Reply #271396 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

3 more years of college eligibility...

Reply #271402 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

UConn's season of dispair has finally been put to an end by Virginia Tech in the second round of the NIT, going down in a thriller, 63-65.

Ater Majok saw increased minutes today in coming off the bench, scoring 2 points on 1/4 shooting along with pulling down 6 rebounds and rejecting 2 shots in 17 minutes of action.

Connecticut finishes the season with an overall record of 18-16.

Reply #271655 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

What an overwhelmingly disappointing season from Majok, hopefully he can pick it up next year but it's starting to look like all the haters had a good point about how good he actually was.

Reply #271669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the haters? Only one of us was truly dedicated to the cause.

Reply #272057 | Report this post

bossmang  
Years ago

Majok wont ever make NBL

Reply #274769 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm not one to shy away from acknowledging the kid had a very poor freshman college season, however give the kid a break - he still has potentially 3 more years at college on one of the stronger programs in the country.

A kid with his size and athleticism deserves perserverence. Don't be so quick to shoot down a kid with potential. If he can develop he could have a great future, whether that be here in Australia or overseas. Let's see how he goes over the next few years before you write him off.

Reply #274834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Uconn Website
Q
Also how do you think ater majok will play next season a total bust or one of the best in the country?

A
As for Majok, I don't think he'll ever be the star many hoped he would be, but I do see him being a serviceable player next season. He is athletic and energetic and, with a season under his belt, I think he'll improve greatly and iron out some of his problems, shake some of the rust. He also has to understand how hard it is to work toward being a great player and the work it takes to sustain that level of play.

From the Comments section

Ater Majok is another in a long list of average players Calhoun has sold us as "great players"...Ajou Deng comes to mind

That 4 year contract was a waste of taxpayer money ..how about a young, energetic and hungry coach instead of an oaf who sits on his butt getting fat off his 2 championships and numerous underachieving seasons.

BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Reply #277754 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754