twenty four
Years ago

Brandon Jennings ZOMG FTW LOL *Spoilers*

Bucks/GState today. End of the 3rd. Jennings has 39 points on 17/27 from the floor. Only has 3 assists, but who cares - he's playing with 1.5 decent offensive players most of the time.

Box score.

Ladies and gentlemen, the biggest draft steal of the decade....

Topic #21607 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Up to 43.

Should have mentioned (but forget in my state of shock, laughter and whatever else) that the Bucks were down about 10, but then Jennings scored (if I'm reading it right) 27 in the 3rd!!!!

Reply #257348 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

Dunno about the draft steal thing... Marc Gasol at around 48 in '07 might be a contender... Jennings went at 10... Point remains - Minny, Mem, and GS must be kicking themselves... Just as probably most of the teams in the NBA (those without a decent REAL C) over passing up Marc...

I have been watching a lot of Mem games and Gasol owns the paint...

Reply #257349 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah, maybe not THE steal, but.....

He has 53 in the 7th NBA game. Unreal.

Reply #257350 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

53 and it's not done yet - absolutely...

Reply #257351 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

55/5/5. 21-34 fg, 7-8 3pt, 6-8 ft.

Holy shit.

Reply #257352 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

WOW!

Anyone thinking what i am... One great undersized scoring PGs career ends and another begins...

I wonder if Skiles had to do any breaking in (?) - given the attitude questions that prevailed around Jennings right up til draft night...

Reply #257353 | Report this post

Good shooting performance, but god help Bogut when a rookie point is jacking up those shots and Redd is back.. maybe Jennings will change his role, but will be interesting as won't be much left after those are done two jacking up shots.. trade Redd for whatever there needs are now me thinks and build around Bogut and Jennings

Reply #257354 | Report this post

oh yeah Bogut went 9-12 so give the man some of the ball too!!

Reply #257355 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Crazy. Now if only Redd wasn't to come back..

Reply #257356 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I watched the game and have seen a bit of the Bucks this season and I don't think Jennings is going to hurt Bogut's numbers one bit. He is actually helping Bogut instead, because they are basically running two plays: pick and roll with Bogut and Jennings or a post up for Bogut.

I do agree Redd might be one too many guys needing the ball. If they can find the right deal they should trade him, but they have to get him healthy first so a team will give up something of value!

The broadcasters said that Jennings broke Abdul-Jabbar's rookie records with his 29 in the third and 55 in the game. Early days yet, but they also showed that Jennings +20ppg and +5apg averages to start the season are in elite company. Only the Big O, Lebron, Jordan and Iverson have averaged better over their entire rookie season!

The thing that gobsmacked me the most though was that those points scoring records were only Bucks records! What's the freaking league record for a rookie then?!?!

Other good stuff: Bogut's jam and Meeks three point bomb from the backcourt to end the third quarter!

Such a great game to watch that I don't even mind that my Celtics couldn't beat the Pacers this morning!

Reply #257357 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Another reason why Redd should be traded. The team hasn't missed a step so far since he left.

Stick him on the mid-season trading block for another 2 man. Leave Bell at the 2 for now and boost the bench some more.

Reply #257359 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

WHOA!

Ridnour played big minutes, does that mean Jennings was at the 2?

Reply #257362 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

X - no Jennings was the primary ball-handler and playmaker, but GS went small and fast (as they tend to do) and so Skiles decided Ridnour was a better matchup. Bell was also struggling with his shot early, so I think that was another reason.

Ridnour did a really good job of making plays on the few occasions where Jennings got himself into trouble and the rest of the time was smart enough to get the hell out of the way!

Bell redeemed himself with some key scores late in the game when the Warriors were putting them under pressure and Ilyasova continued to show good signs, filling in admirably for Bogut in the 4th while he was in foul trouble.

All in all, the Bucks are finally a fun team to watch again after several horror years!

Reply #257364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rookie scoring records:

Rookie 	Points 	Date
Wilt Chamberlain 58 Feb. 1960
Wilt Chamberlain 58 Jan. 1960
Rick Barry 57 Dec. 1965
Earl Monroe 56 Feb. 1968
Brandon Jennings 55 Nov. 1909
Wilt Chamberlain 55 Nov. 1959
Elgin Baylor 55 Feb. 1959

Reply #257365 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Thanks Beanie. You mentioned Ilyasova, he had a +/- of -16 or something like that. Fair effort when he only played minimal minutes and his team won!

Reply #257366 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'd actually like to see Redd given some time to see if he is capable of playing as the 3rd scorer. If he can score 15-18ppg purely from plays in the offence (screens, open j's, etc) he could really create problems for the opposition. They would have three legit scorers, none of whom you could leave free.

If he can't do that and goes back into chucker mode, see if you can get maybe an athletic wing who can play that role. But give him a chance, cause if it works, it'd make Mil a really dangerous side on offence.

Reply #257367 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

anyone find a torrent of this game? cant see it anywhere. Great numbers btw.

Reply #257368 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The remarkable thing with those 55 points is that he only went to the line 8 times. When someone goes off for a huge game, they usually get quite a few free throws. Jennings hit 49 points from the floor during the flow of the game.

Reply #257369 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Alot of scouts questioned hios ability to shoot the ball consistently, and they questioned his range. But in the 1t 7 games he is showing how much off-season work he has put into his shooting; He was shooting the 3-ball at 45.5% coming into this game. He has also shown his versatility..in just 7 games, his careers high in assists and rebounds is 9.( Averaging 5.2 APG and 4.3 RPG.)
With Jennings success in the NBA, will high school stars give more thought into Europe? Did anyone see the article about Latavious Williams--The Guy who jumped straight from High School to the D-League. This guy was was a baller too, and had an offer from Memphis but wanted the money straight away. Its eay for us to wonder why they don't go to College and play there..But we have to remember the financial positions that some of their families are in. The availability of money immediately will, IMO, make Europe weigh heavier on high school stars.

Reply #257371 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think the idea of Europe over college is an interesting debate. Over recent time there's also been a few that back fired by going to Europe, and remember Jennings' is probably the lone success thus far.

Back to Jennings, I think AI's successor has came in time! can't recall the last time a rookie scored 50+ in recent times.

Reply #257386 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

oh yeah remember he said he ain't sure what's the hype about Rubio back in the draft?!?! I think he has the right to make that comment now.

Reply #257387 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i think u r spot on - kids will choose the Euro option now based just on his amazing start to his NBA career.

I am so excited about this Bucks team and especially for Bogut. They have some young players that are really embracing Skiles' team game.

Guys like Warrick Ilyasova Meeks Ridnour are all playing well and are giving Bogut some good touches on offense.

It is becoming quite obvious that Redd doesn't fit into this team... they do need a good rebounding PF.

So excited! GO BUCKS!!!

Reply #257388 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

A poor man's Bobby Locke. Exciting times for Milwaukee and Bogut.

Reply #257390 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow is all I can say. How god is this kid?

Great news for Bucks fans but I must admit I'm a bit worried about Redd's impending return. He could stuff up the team chemistry that is going on right now.

Bogut and Jennings are carrying this team, and with good input and development from Ilyasova and Warrick they can do well.

Reply #257393 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

He's not a god yet, well he maybe in some Milwaukee sports bar, but I'd rate him pretty good at the moment.

I do find it funny (Sorry Johhny Sack) that the T-Pups picked 3 PG's in the first round, and 2 before Jennings (Flynn and Scrubio) and it looks like they have missed the star in this draft. I think Flynn will be serviceable and who knows with the Spaniard.

I really really hope that Hammond trades Redd away. Probably should of traded him instead of Dickey Jefferson.

Last big game from a rookie that I can remember was when Charlie V put up 48 for the Raptors.

Reply #257399 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ahh X, your sarcasm is deadly, but it can't penetrate my teflon shell! Ilyasova may not have a good +/- but he was doing the right things out there, taking and making some good shots at critical times in the 4th when the Warriors were making life difficult for Jennings.

He got beat a few times on D, but it wasn't poor play on his part - mostly just Maggette outmuscling him like he does to most players!

I think he and Delfino are proving to be excellent compliments to Warrick and Mbah a Moute (neither of whom can shoot from range). They've got some good versatility at the forward spots now and that is allowing them to match up well with most opponents.

Reply #257405 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh yeah, thanks for putting up the scoring records Isaac! I didn't have time, but I was hoping someone would do the honours!

No surprises that Wilt has the top two scores. He didn't outdo Jennings by much though!

Definitely a few GMs of clubs who picked higher than the Bucks taking a big shot of their favourite whiskey right now... and Minny and New York are taking it in turns to scull from the bottle I reckon!

Reply #257407 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol Beanie, wasn't taking a shot at you, just thought that was an amazing stat! -16!!!

Reply #257417 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

TR. No need for apols. - I think Flynn and Jennings are different beasts. At this stage Jennings definitely looks the better player but i'll wait at least 2 years before we can get definitive returns on the debate.

The Rubio thing was a damned if you do - damned if you don't situation i'm afraid...

Like i said Jennings character issues must have figured in teams passing him up... But i guess Skiles (given his well documented struggles as a youngster) might be the best guy to get through to Jennings... As it stands i can't decide who to make my 2nd fave team - Mil or Mem???

Reply #257420 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hopefully Redd does not return this week....

Reply #257428 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I didn't see it mentioned above - he was scoreless in the first quarter. That's insane, could easily have had over 60

Reply #257448 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I know...after notning in the first and a solid return in the 2nd, it was that 27-point explosion in the 3rd quarter!

Reply #257450 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about team chemistry and Redd. Awesome game from the rookie, but there's not much teamwork going on when he basically just dribbled up the court and shot the ball. Thing is it just kept going in! You might almost say he did-a-Ballinger...

Reply #257452 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

'Sota should just flip Rubio for the best return. Give the reigns to Flynn and Ramon Sessions and call it a day and forget that they could of had Jennings.

Reply #257453 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"Brandon Jennings 55 Nov. 1909"

Oldest rookie ever.

Reply #257493 | Report this post

D-Money  
Years ago

Brandon jenning is an awsome player he is one or the most players i like on the bucks. I all ways go 4 the bucks when they play

Reply #294056 | Report this post

D-Money  
Years ago

Brandon jenning is an awsome player he is one or the most players i like on the bucks. I all ways go 4 the bucks when they play

Reply #294057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754