thedoctor
Years ago

Marion Jones - WNBA?

Interesting article on AdelaideNow given the recent discussion about Roy Jones Jr and Nathan Herbert. Former Olympic sprinter and drug cheat is training to play in Europe and then the WNBA.

http://linky.com.au/ptjss

She played starting PG for the Tar Heels championship team back in 1994. She is 34 years old now, I'd imagine her body would be in good shape having not done much in a few years (has been in prison!)

Looks like she can play, and it will certainly attract attention to the league. Good or bad idea?

Topic #21731 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think this was mentioned some time ago from memory, nothing ever came of it.

Reply #259031 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Has she cut her finger nails?

Reply #259038 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

isn't she dead?

Reply #259039 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

that's a little harsh.

Reply #259041 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #259042 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

You're thinking of Flo Jo.

Just on the topic of sprinters it's a little known fact that Olympic champion Carl Lewis was drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the same draft they picked up Jordan.

Reply #259043 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jones copld play back in her college days. She had to choose between athletics and basketball and chose the track.

At 34 and having been out of the game for so long, I remain sceptical whether she can infact make to all the way to the WNBA.

Reply #259059 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Maybe the Lightening got get her

Reply #259066 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So was Butch Hays billo.

Reply #259070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And it is our own Sandy Brondello who is guiding Jones in her quest, along with ehr husband, Olaf Lange, who are both assistant coaches with the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Link: http://linky.com.au/eac80

Reply #259072 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

I'm guessing the top euro women's leagues are closer to the wnba in overall ability than top euro mens teams are to the nba.

I'm guessing a wnba team will sign her as a publicity stunt regardless of how she goes over there first.

Reply #259079 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

More news on Jones in her basketball pursuits, with reports she is in fact going to try and play in Australia's WNBL before having a crack at the WNBA...

SEN Link: http://linky.com.au/2a449

"I know that there's a league over there in Australia," Jones said.

"That was initially what I had my sights on. I'm not sure if things can be arranged."

"Over these next few months I would love to be able to get some playing experience, whether it's in Australia, or in Europe."

You can also listen to the Podcast.

Reply #259177 | Report this post

sharon  
Years ago

I hope she makes it, she's determined she will. Everyone deserve a second chance. Look at all the disgraced NFL and baseball athletes that have been given chances. Even the NBA gives second chances with all the player issues they have. she did the crime, but she also did the time. I hope the WNBA, one the teams picks her up. I don't think she lost her skills, during her offseason from track, she was still playing and practicing in North Carolina and coaching teams. She is ready. We cannot judge her, that's for God to do.

Look at all these crooked politicians, that get away with everything.

How's she doing by the way playing in Australia. Will she be ready for the WNBA draft? I hope so. She can help somebody's team, the WNBA needs another perk and this would be a great story.

Sharon G.

USA/Las Vegas

Reply #268683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754