old and gray
Years ago

2 pts up , 21 secs to go , 23sec on shot clock

such a sad decision.

So why shoot ? why not pull it out , dribble like hell to the top of the key, then pass it away from possible foulers. If all the 36ers did was to take 7-9 seconds more out of the game time, and get it into the hands of a +80% foul shooter - then the 36ers almost certainly have the game.

Topic #21764 | Report this topic

Corey  
Years ago

They had to control the ball first! But they didn't.....Tigers were always gonna foul us if we were up just as we did in OT when they were up.......

Reply #259617 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

We really do suck in the clutch - from the coaching staff right on down to the guys on court :(

Reply #259620 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I have to say the decisions at the end of overtime were probably worse. Balls or gilly should have shot when they had the opportunity.

Reply #259628 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why in the hell don't they set screens for Ng. He is the most consistent and accurate 3 point shooter in the team but just lacks the opportunity to do it because there is no one there to help him out. The Melbourne Tigers are much better than their cellar dweller position suggests, but we are much worse than our impressive position suggests. The team has not jelled at all. They are still playing individual games with no team chemistry. In crisis situations, they screw up because no one knows how to play a team game and help his fellow team mate. No one knows how to create opportunities. No one has even learnt that Ballinger is on court because they keep having to have it drummed into them, pass the ball to Ballinger.

Reply #259646 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Balls certainly should've shot that last one. Poor awareness.

Then again, he got hacked over the arm intentionally on the inbounds at the other end, he may still have been figuring out why he wasn't at the line.

Reply #259647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a choke job by us. A sobering reminder to those who got a bit carried away with us being equal top of the ladder or whatever it was. Just got beaten by the worst team in the league on our own floor...again. This whole Cortez Groves thing clearly isn't working out.

We're now playing the Blaze over there on Wednesday with the real possibility of dropping that game which would put us on a three game losing streak.

Reply #259661 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Our management of the last minutes of the fourth and overtime was diabolical.

Gilchrist needed to be isolated and take Hodge (who was sitting on 4 fouls since about half way through the last quarter) to the rack, and yet we continually settled for jumpshots.

Who took that inbound with 5 or so seconds left in the fourth?

Reply #259665 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Cool heads would surely have seen your team home.

Haven't seen game but how was Worthington able to sink two 3's in closing moments.
Gilchrists put back, was crucial because Melbourne replied with a quick three and not a lot of time off the clock.
Even had he kicked it out they still had to look after ball waiting for inevitable foul so should have,could have, becomes irrelevant.
It's what happened next that counts, and conceeding the 3 was the worst result.Then turning it over gave Worthington the chance to win it in regulation which 2 minutes earlier seemed remote at best.

Reply #259677 | Report this post

Paddy  
Years ago

Personally I wish we had Worthington on our side, he can cut, push slash and have no fouls until the last quarter, oh, and fall over with the ball in the last few seconds and not get called for a travel but get a foul called on the opp. We could use someone like that!!!

Reply #259678 | Report this post

what dome  
Years ago

The 36ers are amateur. Half the players, the stadium organisation, the entertainment, they way they finished off the game last night - all amateur. They are very lucky they have a hardcore group of 3000 or so supporters who love basketball because if they needed to get new people going along they'd be in (more) serious trouble.

And while I'm on the theme, a team representative is in the mix of players immediately post match and has a go at Hodge - now that's amateur.

Fine Hodge for stomping on Brett Maher's signature and everything it represented, fine the 36ers guy who went at him, and give a bit of praise to Mark Worthington who wasn't just the best player on court but showed class right throughout.

ps. the punch up on the upper walkway involving a totally hammered Melbourne fan who was celebrating a bit loudly for the seething local fans, no security in sight near this guy during or after the game - amateur.

Reply #259710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forget overtime, it was the 2-3 moments near the end of regulation that cost us the game. It was the Breakers-OT game all over again. With Maher and Davidson gone, we are missing the types of players that back themselves in pressure situations. No Darnell, Reesy, KB. Too many instances of someone like Gilchrist passing up a reasonable shot from the arc, only to pass it around and end up with an inferior opportunity as the clock runs down.

Reply #259714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should never of gotten into overtime, missed a gr8 oppurtunity to consoldiate a top 4 spot ( for the time being) and really put the tigers in trouble. once again no structure or grunt when counted( alot has to come back on the coach) Now they go to the gold coast i think?? then play NZ.. could easily come back to earth and be 7 and 8.. very tight comp.. need burston back..

Reply #259873 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I get the feeling what dome that you were at the recieving and possibly losing end of said punch up?? While I dont condone hitting someone by the sounds of it you started but lost it and are now a very bitter person.

What about the organisation is amatuer? What was wrong with the entertainment? Are you against grass roots basketball being showcased at a family event to help more kids get involved. You have made alot of claims with nothing backing yourself up except your obvious anger.

Did you also refer to Worthington as class, haha the guys a thug and if decent refs were hired wouldnt have been on the court past the first quarter. Perhaps you actually ment Crosswell who played extremely well and did play with class. The only good thing Worthington did was to drag Hodge of the court, pretty sad when as a captain you have to do that though.

Reply #259885 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Thought the whole night was poor. Gone of the days of a family night out.

Way too many drunk people abusing each other.

When management goes after players in the middle of the court they are just creating further issues.

And if the 36ers don't give a ban toall those "fans" who assaulted players, they are a joke.

Sure Hodges behaviour was disrespectful, but assaulting players is so far out of line the tigers could press charges.

Reply #259893 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I didn't catch the game, but what the hell happened to the 6ers???

Can't believe the result and am still in shock.

Reply #259897 | Report this post

what dome  
Years ago

Yeah nice one Skud. Thankfully I'm not one of the 6ers hard core rabid supporters, so I'll leave the punch ups to them.

The only thing not amateur about the 36ers is their ticket prices.

Worthington used to be a knob, hated as much as anyone for years, but credit where it's due. Not sure if you noticed but he managed Hodge through that whole game - he's now the best all round player in the comp, more mature than back then and he's a class act. If you're one of those one eyed fans then I wouldn't expect you to agree because 2009-10's MVP will surely be fought out between Brett Maher and Mark Davis.

I do agree with you on a couple of points though - the understated Crosswell pretty well won them the game, and the half time kids game was a breath of fresh air compared to the crap or loosely termed 'entertainment' they usually put on pre match, at half time and stoppages. The game needs to be promoted to kids or it'll die, which is why I'm on this point about the drinking and security.

Reply #259991 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will agree with you on Worthington and the kids at half-time and I had to laugh at the MVP joke.

I think Worthington, along with Penney and Bruton, makes up the league's best three.

Reply #260017 | Report this post

Nix 21  
Years ago

Amateurish? I'll tell you what's amateurish... the courtside announcers cranking up their volume and screaming at the top of their lungs deafeaning both players and spectators. And I am not talking about getting excited either. Whomever controls the sound desk in there is in bad need of tuition and a reality check not to mention a hearing aid! Why is it that the deaf guy is always on sound?

And please dont tell me that they control their own volume (that would explain quite a bit though).
No wonder the 6ers made poor decisions at the end... they were bashed senseless by the decibels.
Absolutely spoils a good night - win lose or draw. The main game is the basketball, the announcers are there to add to the spectacle, it is not "their" show, they are not on centre stage, turn it down and just do your jobs!

As for the League not taking any action against Hodge or anyone else for that matter... what a joke! Totally unacceptable behaviour... or does the League want to wait for someone like Hodge to start a riot before they take any action? pathetic.

Reply #260371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754