me
Years ago

Do players still play for the Club, or the $?

We all acknowledge that Hodges stomping actions were wrong.

But,

Not one player from the 36ers did anything about it. NOT ONE!!!

Passion.. commitment...??????

With the amount of trading and money in the game now, do players play for a club and feel part of a club, understand and appreciate the history... or is it just a job?

Do they appreciate why the fans pay out their hard earned $ to see them play each week?

I am disapointed that it seems our 36ers this year didnt care enough to get out there and stop Hodge.. or at least "explain" to him that it was not acceptable.

Club; "here's your thousand of $"
Player; "cool, now who am i playing for again?"

Topic #21779 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just interested in your opinion "me" what exactly is was that they should have done about it?

Reply #260024 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The players should have..
stepped up..
pushed Hodge away from the signature,
Enforced respect of our house and our hero.

instead.. they slink away

The PLAYERS should have done what Ben Fitz had to do.

Why didnt they?

Reply #260026 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Oh and by the way.. having to ask "what should they have done" is exactly the problem.. they and the fans. should have known!

Reply #260029 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

me,
I think you probably need to look a little harder at the big picture.

No one is happy that the incident occured. A complete dis-respect for the man, the club, and the sport.

However, players are professionals and it is considered by many appropriate that they would not get involved physically or in a threatening way. While it is tempting to re-arrange the ivory on someone's face, the consequences of that are fines, bans and possible criminal action. Also, there is the risk of injuring themselves.

For me, I consider the response of the Sixers players appropriate. Just because there wasn't biff doesn't mean they don't play for the club.

Reply #260033 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Jack, i dont expect them to go the biff, but i expect them to defend my club, my hero and my court.

I dont think they did that.

Reply #260039 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Personally, I'm not sure they realised what was going on until mid-way through the performance.

That said, it seems to me that Jacob is about the only player that has a bit of "give as good as we get" in him.

Reply #260040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your a loser me. Everyone looks for dollars these days, it's a fact, are you not aware of the situation the NBL was in recently? Irrespective.

You started a thread that suggests our team are not a team because they didn't act like thugs and beat someone up?

As far as I know, and from what I personally seen from my seat, the team didn't see what went on until the last second when Wortho grabbed Tool-ius Hodge.

As if any professional athlete should assault/act violently towards another player. What Tool-ius did was pathetic and we all know that so he will indeed be limiting his career options within Australia which suits the majority of us gladly. But our guys have what he lacks and that is professionalism and pride.

It's Basketball, not a boxing ring. I'm just annoyed those chicken legs didn't snap mid stomp and stick up his butt! I'm glad our guys didn't see it because we would have risked suspensions etc because no doubt the guys would have gone nuts given the chance. Again, not that it would solve anything.

Reply #260044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should have gone the biff, see what happened in perth the week before, $100 fine per player/coaching staff would have been worth it, reckon hodge wouldnt have had too much help from his team mates either

Reply #260051 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't think me was expecting the 36ers players to react with violence. They could have approached him gently and reminded him of the disrespectful actions he was taking towards a legend of this club. However, the way Hodge was behaving, if anyone from the 36ers players approached him, it is fair to think that he would have turned it into something violent. I don't think they lacked passion by not approaching Hodge. I am more critical of the players for the way they handled the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

Reply #260146 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

EC i very much agree re the final seconds, nevertheless...Unless he is stopped...

He has said he will do it everytime he comes here, because he THINKS HE CAN!

Its not up to the fans to stop him.. its not up to the GM to stop him, its up to THE PLAYERS!

I realise that i am offending some by suggesting the players were soft on this occasion , but maybe that links to the final seconds as well.

Its not just physical toughness that comes from being part of a team, its also MENTAL TOUGHNESS, which we lacked in those final seconds??

Reply #260210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I think his team mates and his club will make sure he doesn't do it next time. It appears most were embarressed by his actions anyway. I look at it the other way. If Mr Ed from the 36ers did something to disrespect Andrew Gaze over in Melbourne I would hope our club would sanction the player in some way or other.

In fact I would hope our members would also be upset if the roles were reversed. These guys are icons of the game and have helped build the sport to what it is today for our enjoyment.

Reply #260223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754