Anonymous
Years ago

Anstey expected back v Cairns / Townsville

Chris Anstey just said on Fox Sports he thinks he will make the trip with his team on the weekend and play 'between five to ten minutes per game'.

This is really big news for the team and league. His mere presence will give the group life and coming off a big win they will be pumped for a trip to Cairns which they should win as well as a winnable game in Townsville the following night. Whatever Anstey contributes is a bonus as Lang, the current back-up is simply a fill-in.

Tigers might get rolling with they're good draw in January and three match-winners on board

Topic #21787 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Theyd be crazy to bring a 7'1 guy back from hip surgery on a long road trip to Nth Queensland - I hope common sense prevails.

Reply #260144 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Don't like Anstey in the least, but it's good to have that sort of talent back. No NBL fan wants any player hurt - so welcome back mate.

Reply #260154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti is reporting that Anstey apologised to Maher and Ninnis tried to speak to Hodge about his actions, but Hodge didn't make it to Tigers training.

"I don't think you ever trash talk when you're at the bottom of the ladder," (said Worthington). "We need to have a humility about us and a team ethos which everyone has to buy into.

"That (Hodge's stomping on Maher's signature) overstepped the mark."

Anstey, who often has been the recipient of crowd derision in Adelaide, said he loved playing at BMC and retained the utmost respect for Maher as both a player and a person.

"I haven't come across anyone in the basketball community who doesn't like or respect Brett Maher," he said.

"He didn't deserve that. He's always been a fantastic role model - to have a court named after you, that's as good as it gets."

Anstey said Adelaide had always been one of his favourite destinations.

"Especially going back five to 10 years when the club was a powerhouse, any win in Adelaide was a great win in a great atmosphere," he said.

"Brett Maher had a lot to do with that culture."

Anstey had planned to speak with Hodge, but the import missed the Tigers' team training.

It is understood both Worthington and Anstey independently privately apologised for the incident to both Maher and Sixers coach Scott Ninnis.
Well done to Wortho and Anstey. Begrudgingly gaining a lot of respect for Worthington on and off court.

Reply #260178 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

As I mentioned - in the press conference Wortho said before any questions I want to apologise, which I thought was good.

Hodge missing training? But isn't he the hardest working player? Always working on his jumpshot?

Reply #260180 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Why do you need to practise when you shoot 6/14 from the line. He was probably in the gym getting ready for a big Monday night out on the town.

Reply #260182 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I like many people on here didn't have a great opinion of Worthington, always respected his ability but not him, that has changed a lot after his actions in Adelaide, he gets mad props

Reply #260183 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Hodge missed training? - but I read his twitter update, and he said he had a day packed full of weights, running and working on his "j-shot". Surely he wouldn't post stuff on there that wasn't true!

Reply #260184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Hinder is saying its not on...

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/12/08/98941_sport.html

Reply #260185 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Definite kudo's to Wortho in how he has acted btoh during, since and after the Hodge baby act.

As for Anstey playing, he would not be stepping onto the court if there was any risk of him doing any damage. Both the Tigers and Anstey himself would not risk that.

Reply #260187 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Have to jump on the Wortho bandwagon here. I must admit, I would rather be bleeding out of my eyeballs instead though.

Well done, class act.

Reply #260201 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Hodge said on Twitter that he missed training because he thought he had broken his wrist - didnt say how... but i'd assume it must have either happened in the game or at his 'crib' :)

Reply #260213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe the crowd was right and he is a wanker? :P

Reply #260218 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ROTFLMAO!

Reply #260233 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Wow, i was doing the net commentary at the players race end, and i swear he did start grabbing at his wrist towards the end of the game! Do NOT be surprised if there is more to that wrist...wouldnt that be a turn of events...again!

Reply #260386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nino, it's an old trick. Kobe starts limping/rubbing his shoulder/holding his wrist whenever he's having a shocker too.

Reply #260395 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

I hope next time Tigers play here that the fans at the dome stand and give Mark a round of applause.. I, like everyone else, hated on Wortho since his time at the Kings.. I now see he is a good bloke and what he and Anstey have said, showed a lot of class. Ill be giving him a clap.. he is a great ball player, and should go down as one of the leagues greats, when he retires Im sure he will get his own tributes.. Onya Wortho!! u got a few new fans !

Reply #260421 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754