The Journo
Years ago

Boomers / Opals World Championship teams

Enough of Julius Hodge, who do people think will make the cut for the Boomers and Opals for next year's World Championships.

Boomers
Mills / Dellavadova
Newley / Ingles
Worthington / Barlow
Andersen / Jawai
Bogut / Ogilvy

Opals
Harrower / Phillips
Snell / Cox
Taylor / Porter
Batkovic / Bishop
Jackson / Cambage

Topic #21796 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would put Gibson in for Dellavedova. Dellavedova will be in the Boomers for years to come, he is only 19 and he will only continue to get better under Randy Bennent like Mills did. I know that if he went to Turkey, he would only be a backup Point Guard, but I don't think we should throw him into a senior world championship tournament already, because as I said give him 2 or so years and he will develop exponentially at St. Marys. John Rillie blogged about Dellavedova after the Under 19 championships and the Boomers ocenia series:

"Although he is considered a combo guard I believe that he is a work in progress for the point guard position. His feel for the game is well and truly a strong point. Put this together with his decision making and it certainly sounds like we have a point guard in the making.

I would not call him a lights out shooter, but he makes enough from long range that you cannot let him stand their and shoot. (His first touch for the Boomers the other night was a corner three.) "

IMO, Rillie has it wrong when he says that he isn't a lights out shooter. The kid can shoot, and he is showing that at St. Marys..already hit 18 threes in 7 games at 40 %. He hit the 3-ball at 42.1% during the under 19 champs.

Anyway, not to get sidetracked, I think we need to give him 2 years or so. He can play and he can shoot the hell out of it and he is a fighter and a winner. But at the World Champs, he is going up against Calderon and Rubio from Spain, Parker from France, Paul/Williams from USA, Papaloukas from Greece, Arroyo from Puerto Rico, Prigioni from Argentina...Some of these guys have been around for years especially Papaloukas who is in his 30s. For me those guys are much to experienced for Dellavedova, with greater basketball IQs.
Not saying Gibson is at their level either because he is not, but he is a better fit than Dellavedova.
Dellavedova is still developing his PG skills also and I think this was a major reason to why he only played 22 mins a game at the Under 19 world champs, where guys like Cadee and Arnott ran the PG position just as effectively

Reply #260345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G Mills, Gibson
G Newley, Ingles
F Barlow, Worthington
F Andersen, Nielsen
C Bogut, Jawai

Take Weigh, Harvey, Dellavedova, Maric to the tournament both for back-up and experience.

G Harrower, Tully B
G Snell, Cox
F Taylor, Porter
F Batkovic-Brown, Tolo
C Jackson, Cambage

Maybe replace Tolo with Bishop and maybe they need an extra three point bomber. Hurst, Bibby, Lewis plus a few will be aroiund the mark

Reply #260348 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

In a twelve man squad, Brett Brown will, I believe, pick three PG's.

If CJ is available, it will be Bruton-Mills-Gibson.

If CJ has indeed retired from International ball, I think Dellavedova will be picked as the third PG alongside Mills and Gibson.

Reply #260356 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Believe it or not NBA scouts are already raving about Matthew Dellavadova, theres an NBA draft blog on the ESPN.com website done by Chad Ford and he mentions that in pretty much every conversation he's had with a scout, Delly's name comes up.

He doesnt expect him to be a one and done, but he definately see's a future in the NBA for him, he's very similar to Matt Bouldin from the Zags

Reply #260370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you have a Link to that draft blog anon?

Reply #260394 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Here's a copy of it

From Chad Ford's NBA draft blog yesterday.

•For the second straight year, NBA scouts are raving about an Australian point guard playing at St. Mary's. Last year it was Patty Mills getting all the love (before going into a horrific draft-night slide). This year freshman Matthew Dellavedova is garnering all of the attention.

Dellavedova is nothing like Mills. Mills was a diminutive, lightening-quick point guard who could score in bunches. Dellavedova is much bigger (he's listed at 6-4) and can shoot the lights out. Mills was often compared to Tony Parker. Dellavedova is getting Steve Nash comparisons. He's off to a terrific start averaging 14 ppg, shooting 42 percent from 3 and sporting an impressive 2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

I doubt he's a one-and-done player, but he's being mentioned in virtually every conversation I have with NBA sources

Reply #260398 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow - that would be amazing. He is a great kid with a great attitude so let's hope he continues on. Of course, always lots of talk about freshmen and a lot of water is still to go udner the bridge.

I wouldnt say he was a lights out shooter though - he is a very dependable straight up shooter, but not a go to guy.

As for Turkey. let's remember that the standard Delly is playing at the moment is quite low, and if he went to the WCs it would just be as a learning experience on the bench - I mean he struggled to really run an offence against an under-strength New Zealand, and had trouble getting the ball up against Lindsay Tait, who is hardly Spanoulis, Rubio, Diamantidis, Kaukenis or any of the other great defensive guards.

As for Turkey, I would have a final 15 of:
Bogut, Maric, Jawai
Nielsen, Ballinger, Andersen, Petrie
Barlow, Worthington,
Newley, Ingles, Harvey
Bruton, Mills, Gibson

with Ogilvy, Weigh and Dellavedova rounding out the squad for development.

Reply #260401 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I have thought about this long and hard, and so far this is what I envisage:

Bogut / Maric
Andersen / Jawai / Nielsen
Worthington / Barlow
Newley / Ingles
Bruton / Mills / Gibson

I see Bruton as being the starting PG in his farewell to International basketball. Mills has been out too long to get the starter's gig right now. It will be all his by London 2012.

Aleks Maric is going great guns in Europe and should geta gig ahead of AJ Ogilvy and Aron Baynes, although these guys could yet feature depending on injuries. Definite prospects for 2012. Bogut, Andersen, Jawai and Nielsen should get a chance to play. Nielsen is the only one whose form is questionable right now, but he adds mongrel to a possible team that may require it. Brett Brown likes AJ Ogilvy and Aron Baynes, so one of those guys could easily take his place.

I agree with other comments, Dellavedova will miss out if CJ Bruton is available. Otherwise he will get in as the third PG. Delly and Mills could well be our back court duo by 2012. And yes, there has been plenty of talk about Delly and his NBA chances over the past 2 months in the States. Still early days though.

Worthington adds mongrel whcih the team needs. How much impact he has though is debatable and is likely to play a small role off the bench. Barlow is an interesting one - he has been out injured for a while now although is due back sooner rather than later. Ingles will get a gig and can play SG or SF where required. Weigh could easily step in if Barlow is nto fit enough or match ready to step up.

Newley will get a gig as Australia lack depth in quality shooting guards.

This will be Australia's best team on the court for quite some time, however I still beleive Australia's best shot at a medal will be 2012 in London when guys like Mills, Ogilvy, Jawai and even Bogut should be either nearing or at their peak. And by then guys like Majok, Delly and maybe even some others could have stepped up and made their mark in either the NA or Europe.

Some promising times ahead, however a top 8 finish in Turkey would be a fantastic achievement IMO.

Reply #260405 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

Jawai shouldnt make the team he is not that good. Just a big body. guys like baynes, maric, ogilvy, sench, should be the one making it in front of him..

Reply #260507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is steve markovic any chance of making the side. He was a very talented junior

Reply #260814 | Report this post

Lak  
Years ago

Maric wants to play for Serbia.

Reply #261241 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He cant, he has already played for Australia.

Reply #261249 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754