Quagmire
Years ago

Is it time to trade LeBron?

He will walk end of season. Has to. Cavs have shown themselves to be completely useless at putting a championship team together at all. Take LeBron out of the team and what have you got... Not a single player that would start for the NBA worst Nets. This year should be the culmination of years of player and list development, instead they are worse than when he entered the league. How is that possible!!!!!

So he is going to walk, it is a sure thing. Common practise is that if a guy is gonna walk, you trade em before that to ensure you get something for your time.

Why is this not even being discussed? Is he above being traded for? Add him to any current team not named Cleveland and they will be a contender. Even the knicks. (ghasp)

Cavs have only got guilt to keep Lebron in Cleveland, and i don't think it will be enough, and certainly i wouldn't want to be a cavs fan next season if he walks. Horrible roster, money for free agents who won't play for you. yikes.

I guess my real thought is what would a current team offer for renting the 'King' for half a season?

Knowing that that may just be all that it takes for a banner year....

Lets look at the nets... Lopez and a 1st rounder?

Do the clippers offer Griffin? I would.

Surely Cuban has an offer up his sleave...

Anyway, my point is this, he is walking, so when do the cavs suck it up, admit they have failed in everyway, and try to get something back on their investment?

Topic #21812 | Report this topic

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Quagmire, You better hope the Cavs don't win the championship this season, or you'll look like a village idiot.
Its early in the season and you've already said that the Cavs aren't a championship team..Big Call. Remember, its not how a team starts a season its how they finish it and carry that form into the finals.
The reason why the Lebron trade saga has not been discussed is because he doesn't want to discuss it and any decent basketball analyst knows that its too early in the season to discuss this stuff.
Oh and by the way, I think your forgetting Mo Williams when you say... "Take LeBron out of the team and what have you got... Not a single player that would start for the NBA worst Nets."
They have alot of hard-working players, who know their roles e.g. Big Z, Varejao (doesn't have an offensive game to save his life, but he rebounds and hustles), Delonte West, JJ Hickson.

Reply #260714 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree about the "too early" bit.

However an eventual trade is not entirely out of the question IMO. However the offer would have to be pretty big to be accepted.

Couple that with the fact that I think the Cav's will be going all out to win a championship this season, and therefore is no chance they can even go close without LeBron.

Whilst a trade should probably be on the cards, because of the unique situation, it probably will not happen.

Reply #260720 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The previous Cav teams couldn't defeat a full strength celtics or Magic, and would be completely humbled by the Lakers or Spurs in the finals.

So why do people still expect this weaker team to be better?

LeBron is awesome but that is such a horrible team!

I didn't forget williams either, dude isn't in my top 20 points in the NBA. All-star is a joke.

Here is 20 points i'd pick before Williams, no particular order;

Nash
D-Will
CP3
Rose
Flynn
Westbrook
Kidd
Billups
Bibby
Hinrich
Jennings
Parker
Nelson
Arenas
Monta Ellis
Brooks
Evans
Baron
Calderon
Stuckey
Rondo
Harris
Felton

sorry....make it 23 points i'd pick infront of williams.

Reply #260721 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Quagmire - totally agree on Mo. I think he's rubbish. I think to make your point, all that is needed is agreement that Harris would start over him. Definitely.

Does LeBron have any huge trade kickers in his contract? Might be a factor too.

Reply #260724 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Plus what makes you think he is wanting to walk anyway..These points suggest he wants to stay

-The Quicken Loans Arena is 40-60 minutes drive from Akron, where LBJ went to High school. Playing at Cleveleand means he is close to family and friends and they can all see his games at the QLA.

-He has just built a huge house in Bath, Ohio that has only recently became completed. Why would he build such a huge house then leave..He wouldn't build it to sell it..the man already has enough $$

-The Cavs, with Lebron, have had 4 winning seasons and made the playoffs 3 years in a row. Why would he leave the Cavs to go to a rebuilding team such as the Nets. LBJ has been a winner and a success story his whole life..His H.S team won the state title, they hardly ever lost, then he came to the NBA and experienced winning seasons almost immediately. Losing is not in his book..He only wants to win.

-As Larry Bird has mentioned, how much bigger can LBJ get..Contrary to what alot of people think, Lebron will not be bigger in New York..He is already an international star, with Nike endorsements and everything else. Look at the NFL, Peyton Manning has been the face of the league for years and he is in Indianapolis, as was Favre when he was at Green Bay. Fans recognise good players and tune in, regardless of where he is located. Hell, if he goes to the Nets or Knicks and they have a bad season or two that will be mean even less media attention and unwanted media coverage.

Reply #260725 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I actually think he may leave because he wants to win.
The cavs suck so much and have not been able to improve at all.

Listening to Eric Snow plug his book on a recent podcast- he talked about the dif between playing with AI and Lebron...he was pretty scathing of Lebron's ego. For Lebron to be considered the best ever (don't kid yourself-that is his goal) he must win a slew of championships. Not one or two or even three. He must dominate and win 6 or 7 in order to stack up.

Cavs just don't seem able to supply that kind of dynasty. I think tha is why he is gone.

As for why he bought such a huge house- you answered your own question- he grew up there.

Reply #260733 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Question- Do you offer a CP3 for LBJ trade?

Reply #260734 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Quagmire, read my posts carefully; I didn't say he bought a house in Bath
I said "He has just built a huge house in Bath, Ohio that has only recently became completed. "

He got it built, he did not buy it. Why build a house to live in it for a few months, I think its a symbol of his long-term intention.

Im not offering any trade!! Im saying that he isn't going anywhere next year.
He wont go anywhere next year because, there is only 3 teams where he would go considering his "superstar Status" i.e. Only 3 teams that are heavyweights, any other team would be like taking a step back..NY, Boston and LA. He cant go to Boston or LA because they don't have money and they already have the team chemistry and are successful.
I ask you:
WHY WOULD HE GO TO NEW YORK OR NJ??? THAT'S TAKING A BACKWARD STEP AND HE AINT GOING TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP THERE ANYTIME SOON..
you say he needs to be around a team that envisions winning and wants to win..What has New York or New Jersey done to suggest that? Cleveland have done just as much by signing Shaq (to combat Dwight), Leon Powe (because they need greater inside presence) and more than capable guards like Anthony Parker.

He has a greater chance of winning a championship with the Cavs than his chances of winning a championship with NY/NJ next year.period.

Reply #260747 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Quagmire, read my posts carefully; I didn't say he bought a house in Bath
I said "He has just built a huge house in Bath, Ohio that has only recently became completed. "

He got it built, he did not buy it. Why build a house to live in it for a few months, I think its a symbol of his long-term intention.

Im not offering any trade!! Im saying that he isn't going anywhere next year.
He wont go anywhere next year because, there is only 3 teams where he would go considering his "superstar Status" i.e. Only 3 teams that are heavyweights, any other team would be like taking a step back..NY, Boston and LA. He cant go to Boston or LA because they don't have money and they already have the team chemistry and are successful.
I ask you:
WHY WOULD HE GO TO NEW YORK OR NJ??? THAT'S TAKING A BACKWARD STEP AND HE AINT GOING TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP THERE ANYTIME SOON..
you say he needs to be around a team that envisions winning and wants to win..What has New York or New Jersey done to suggest that? Cleveland have done just as much by signing Shaq (to combat Dwight), Leon Powe (because they need greater inside presence) and more than capable guards like Anthony Parker.

He has a greater chance of winning a championship with the Cavs than his chances of winning a championship with NY/NJ next year.period.

Reply #260748 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You only needed to post once! Quagmire can in fact read...

Reply #260752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most over rated player ever, not a team player wouldn't have him

Reply #260754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta loves these morons. The Cavs have been playing great all season especially after dropping the first two games and as soon as they drop 1-2 games (in OT yesterday) it's season over.

Reply #260756 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

"WHY WOULD HE GO TO NEW YORK OR NJ??? THAT'S TAKING A BACKWARD STEP AND HE AINT GOING TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP THERE ANYTIME SOON.."

Because the Cavs minus LeBron are worse than both the current Nets and Knicks. So adding LeBron to either of those two teams would make them better than the current Cavs team. If that makes any sense?

Reply #260757 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Add to that his boy Jay Z will pay him a shitload at New Jersey.

Reply #260760 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Juror 12 and DB5 have got the idea.

Look, honestly, the cavs are not going to trade him away. I just really think that they need to do something asap to keep the best player in the league from jumping ship.

Will they have enough money (once they let shaq walk) to make a run at another decent player? In my mind that is the only way they can possibly convince him to stay. NY has so much more to offer, young players like Gallinari and Chandler, not to mention a system that could leap-frog Lebron's stats to oscar robertson type places... and an organisation that has been committed for 3 years to get his signature!

What do the cavs have to offer, guilt? "please don't go, we'll be ruined"

I say trade the arrogant SOB and get something back.

Start the healing process.

I would call the hornets re CP3, or the clips re Griffin. I'm definately calling Cuban in Dallas.

Warriors might cough up Ellis and Randolph. T'wolves for Love and Rubio.

At least its something...

Reply #260766 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Quagmire - one issue is if the Cavs even call anyone, it will leak and LeBron will definitely walk. Almost makes it too risky to make the first move.

To get around it, through back channels the Cavs could get other teams to call them. They can then say "They called us, made offers, we rejected them" etc .

Reply #260770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prior to these two losses on the road (one in OT the other by 10 points) the Cavs had won 15 of their past 18 games.

Reply #260771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Clippers. Griffen, Gordon, Lebron. That would rival any big 3. Get rid of Baron and Camby and they could afford him. LA is a big market. Clipper Laker games would be massive.

Reply #260774 | Report this post

bull  
Years ago

mo williams couldnt start on the nets team haha mo is a all star even if it was as ppl where injured.

Reply #260796 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Lebron James is welcome to join the Knicks anytime. They are my team and I can't wait for Lebron to join us and be the new face of MSG.

Reply #260801 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

Im a Bulls fan and Kirk Hinrich sucks. Maybe he was good about 3 or 4 years ago but he has developed into a very average combo guard that is only saved by his above average defense.

Reply #260807 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Still a little bit early in the season. But I know where you're coming from Quagmire. The Cavs just don't strike me as being better than last years edition, so I just don't see them getting past Boston or Orlando.

Its sad for the Cavs franchise, but the team just has too many ill-fitting pieces. Their best chance might be trading Z for help during the season. If they can't do that, I think they make it to the 2nd round and go down to either the Magic or Celtics.

Then its decision time for James and I think its possible he'd go to the Nets, as long as that Russian billionaire takes over, gets approval for the Brooklyn stadium move and convinces Lebron that the franchise truly is committed to winning.

The Nets are low on confidence and do suck right now, but I think with Lebron and a few experienced vets in there they would quickly turn it around. There is no denying that they have a stud centre in the making in Lopez. Devin Harris, while not really the PG you'd want, is a talented guard. Douglas-Roberts is looking like a talented scorer. Courtney Lee is a solid pro. Rafer likewise. Yi finally started to show something before he got injured.

To top it all off, with the season the Nets are having, they will have a nice high lottery pick to add to their talent as well!

Reply #260811 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Ummm..to the guy that said he is not a team player, how many assists is LeBron averaging?

I understand assists is only a small part of being a team player, but he puts up big assist numbers for a scorer...

-DJ

Reply #260812 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

With Lebron, it isn't a case of "he'll make our team if he signs with us", it's more of a "Here's Lebron playing for . Who are we going to place around him?:

Not to try and tick off people on this forum; but Lebron seems to play his game the same way one "Julius Hodge" seems to; and that's to spend 80%+ of the game runnning all plays and offence through himself. (Just keep in mind that Lebron actually "made" the NBA... and people actually like him).

He'd need to go to a team that has a star shooter already in place to play 2nd fiddle to his offence; and he'd need a dedicated defensive frontcourt to let him spend more time shooting than going for boards.

Personally, I can only see him fitting in at an established playoff team, like LA, Orlando (even Dallas, Phoenix) where there are already defined Role players he can slot in with.

Reply #260822 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Funny how people are very quick to point out the need for certain players around Lebron....nobody mentions coaches.

He needs a coach that reminds him there are 5 players on the court, and to remind him there are bench guys too.

To remind him he is part of the system, not THE ENTIRE SYSTEM UNTO HIMSELF.

Look, he goes to the knicks, he goes to the nets, it won't mean rings until he gets a coach that puts him in his place.

There is a reason Phil jax and the Pop have so much success, they set the rules, the players abide.

Phil got Jordan, Shaq and now kobe, to tone down the individual stuff, play team ball and win.

No matter where he plays, until a GM gets a coach to call the shots instead of Lebron, he aint gonna have anything to put on his fingers...

Reply #260826 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good point Quagmire...the right coach with LeBron could make a world of difference.

Reply #260833 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I don't agree that LeBron isn't a team player. He is one of the hardest working defenders around, always guards scorers on the other team meaning he hets no rest on D, is averaging nearly 8 assists a game, rebounds well.

He's arguably the best player in the league (current MVP), so it makes sense to run a great deal of the offence through him. Kobe does the same, so did Jordan.

He's certainly not a stat-padder. With a Pippen-type side-kick, two shooters and a centre who can rebound and block shots he'd win a championship. The Cavs just have the wrong mix at the moment

Reply #260840 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I agree the cavs have the wrong mix at the moment- but how astounding is it that in the time they have had to get their team organised, this is their crowning achievment????

3 centers, two past their prime and too slow to defend screen and rolls, plus they clog the paint Lebron covets. The third has to be spoon fed offence, and is not the defender the fans think he is, Varejo is all hustle but no brains.

No shooting guard of any note.

A point guard that shoots, but creates nothing in Lebrons absence.

No power forward of any note.

No young talent of any note.

And let me ask this also- where are all the vet players lining up to play with Lebron and win rings? Me thinks the rest of the league doesn't care much for his way of playing.

Look, if Lebron was all team, he would develop a high post or wing post style game and play pf. He would get it and kick it out to a player to swing the ball and get his team open looks like Howard and Duncan do. The problem is there is no stat for the 'swing assist' and i think he is very aware of that.
(his stat awareness is also why i think the knicks were very smart in hiring coach D)

Reply #260853 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

No team will trade for him other than Nets and Knicks... too big of a risk to get him for half the season only to lose him

Reply #261133 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754