Northy
Years ago

6ers roster for next season

Based on current from who would you keep and you would you let go?
Ballinger..keep
Groves..see ya
Burston..replace with Schenscher
Herbert...keep
Ng...?
Hill..let him go
Cooper...keep?
Holmes..keep
Gilchrist..replace him?

Topic #21837 | Report this topic

Ushiro  
Years ago

I would have thought that the new Coach would make those decisions

Reply #261078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Brad Hill will go while his old man is the assistant/part owner/player manager/cuts the oranges....please.

New coaching staff...then we may think about it.

If I was Schenscher, I'd stay in Perth.

Reply #261080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a kid training with them from sturt, is a guard can shoot and can probably get the ball up the court without turning it over, why not give him a go

Reply #261083 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Your contract is in the mail

Reply #261087 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Those to keep:

Ballinger
Holmes
Herbert
Ng
Hill

Open slather after then...

Reply #261100 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

GONE - entire coaching staff,scotty coaches like an angry phil smyth (not that i have ever seen an angry phil smyth) he needs to sit behind another h/c for a couple of years and learn the ropes properly.
his performance under the pump is at the very least, questionable.

GONE - groves,burston

ADD - head coach, big luke and a serious 2 man

36ers front office need to make some big calls now because the 'natives are restless'

Reply #261105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Schenscher/U23 or someone like Alex Pledge :P
F Ballinger/???
F Holmes/Rush
G Import/Herbert
G Import/Ng

Reply #261108 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Brad Hills old man should be elevated to head coach with senior NG the assistant. Junior NG can be starting 2 as well as club doctor. In the event an injury happens to him, senior NG can help. Ninnis can then be the back up 2 & play 15 mins a game - i have no doubt he can still perform at this level. You see no one loses work this way. it's just a matter of shuffling around all the SA talent. Oh & Mrs NG should be head cheerleader....

Reply #261111 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

PLEASE AXE SCOTT NINNIS

Reply #261118 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Bring in a new coach...... Give the cash to Brett or goorj!!!.

Keep
Balls
Burston
Herb

Out
Ng too small/weak
Hill inconsistent
cooper retire
jacob- career change required(plenty of heart but not the talent - undersized for the positioned played. Forwrd in a guard body. Make him an assistant coach.

New
target Worthington and rush
2 new experienced imports not recylced!!!!!

Reply #261122 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Brett Maher would be a great coach!!

Goorg would bring you a title & send you broke..

Reply #261123 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I vote for keeping Gilchrist, I think its the offence that has him holding on to the ball to long. Besides Balls there is no other consistent offensive threat, and with our recent import luck we are lucky to have someone as good as Gilchrist.

Reply #261125 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Some ridiculous suggestions here as there always are when the 6ers get on a losing streak. Especially the calls to cut Holmes and Pitbull.

Burston: Unless we can get Schensch back, keep him and pray to the injury Gods.

Balls: Duh.

Hill: Undoubtedly a keeper. Cut his dad so there's no issue there.

Tez: Cut him now.

Gilchrist: Our Import PG for as long as he wants to be here.

Coop: Depending on the alternatives, I'd look for an upgrade.

Holmes: Star. Keep.

Herbert: I have a greater appreciation for his D since he's been in Adelaide, didn't really notice it at South. Really handy role-player.

Ninja: Keep. Still young and can be an X-factor.

Molitor: Hope the NBL scrap the U23 rule, even if they don't I'd look for someone who can actually contribute.

Maher: Coach.

Reply #261126 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

While most teams are playing a 10 man roster, we are playing a 9 man roster. Once again, Miss Molly had plastic splinters in his bum.

I haven't looked at other teams, but how many minutes are there U23's playing?

I think one thing people are in agreeance - someone needs to stand up. Scotty, you are in the Chamber of Secrets with Tom Riddle - will you pull the sword out of the sorting hat and slay the basilisk?

Reply #261134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep-Ballinger, Holmes, Hill, Ng, Herbert & Molitor (maybe).

Adios-Ninnis, Groves, Gilchrist, Burston & Cooper.

Reply #261142 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Hill: Undoubtedly a keeper. Cut his dad so there's no issue there."

ARE YOU JOKING XztatiK, what happened when Hill was on the court last night, we fell behind.
He cant defend, cant carry the ball and cant score consistantly WHAT about that makes you want to keep him. He is 23, hes not going to get better if he isnt there now

Why ppl are saying goodbye to Cooper I dont understand either, hes the highest percentage shooter on the team. He is a defensive Centre so would if we had a real coach work well with Burston who is an offensive centre.
Gilchrist is improving, give him some offensive options to pass to and I think he is fine, he is the second highest scorer on our team and we have won games purely off his back.

Reply #261143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilchrist is a poor decision maker which includes ordinary shot selection and tends to choke a bit a the FT line too.

I'm not saying axe the guy now (unlike the pathetic Cortez Groves) but I highly doubt the Sixers brass will be re-signing him.

Reply #261144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW guys Brad Hill is actually injured and requires surgery if you were not aware.. doesnt help his play

Reply #261147 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

147, what's the problem.

(BTW I think he's a keeper)

Reply #261149 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Skud, we all know your view on Hilly. I don't think anyone can be bothered arguing with you on that any more.

Reply #261150 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

i would keep Gilly, just add a veteran point guard behind him to add that insurance, so when Gilly makes those stupid plays we don't rely on groves or a 2-man to take control of the ball, add someone with experience and composure and i think Gilly would be a good person to have for the next few years

Reply #261153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it with South Australian sports fan and only supporting there team when they are winning? only half way though the season and already planning next season?

Reply #261159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U23 rule is something I think should be maintained, it at least gives young players a stepping stone to look forward to. Everyone knows some teams have struggled finding a decent U23'er but I think with the proper scouting there are plenty out there that can contribute and become NBL players.

Marko Deric from Perth is a sweet shooting forward
James Orr never had a chance to show his wear at South
Todd Blanchfield and Joshua Jenkins from Townsville.
Daniel Dillon is around the Melbourne hoops somewhere
Lure a kid from college EG: Jeremy Hill, Mitch Young,
Cody Ellis
Do the research and finda player I feel

Reply #261162 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

gilchrist is no saviour replace him, keep holmes and balls and herbert thats it, start from fresh there

Reply #261168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill had some good games towards the end of last season and beginning of this season.

He isn't being signed because of his dad, that's for sure. I think we need a role where he can be comfortable and bring his good side and his bad side becomes less damaging to the team.

Reply #261170 | Report this post

budgie  
Years ago

Coaching staff- gone. Replace with Kevin Brooks with assistant Darnell Mee. They understand the game when it needs be won.

Centre- Hunt down an import that owns the paint both offence and defence, solid and athletic. Back up with someone like Alex Pledger from NZ

Forward- Keep Balls and Holmes but need to hunt down someone that has the smarts and energy to play 3 and 2 spots

Guard- Must keep Gilchrist. He is got the leadership needed to run the team, but other players have not got the brains to play at his level. With the right team chemistry he could become one of the best import pg's we have seen in this country. Back up with Aaron Bruce. Ng and Herbert keep but trade Hill for a packet of chips.

Reply #261179 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I agree with you xtatik about your line up. Hill is no doubt inconsistent, but he has the potential to be a star. His game needs definate work, but I remember Maher being inconsistent in his early days also. He is in a form slump right now, but a little more patience with him and he can be an Abercrombie type player.

Reply #261190 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

+1 to Xztatik and Van Exel on Hill.

I'd like to hear more about this mystery injury Hill is carrying though. Anyone else heard this?

Agree about keeping Burston unless we can get Schensch back. Hopefully Matty will stay healthy now and can be a big factor to close out the season.

X - I disagree with you about Ninnis. I want to see some continuity around here and would only sack the coach if it was clear to me at the end of the season that he hasn't got the skills to install a decent offence. I see this year as a year of growing pains. A year we put off for far too long because of the incompetence of BASA and then the emergency stewardship of Mal and co.

Reply #261193 | Report this post

audio  
Years ago

balls- keep
gilly- keep
burston-keep
holmes-keep
ng- maybe (good 3pt shooter)
burston- cut if good big man avalible but showed his potential sat

Cut coaching staff, hill, groves, cooper

get- like daniel dillion
- rush sounds good
- need to get a good young college kid

Reply #261196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd only make one change during the season and that would be with Groves' spot. Other than that, post-season, call for coaching applications and if the incumbents are the best bet, so be it.

As for players, if there are new teams coming into the league, it will be a competitive market. If Cairns drop out, there will be a few to pick up there, but no stand-outs.

I would try to get some leverage from potentially disgruntled players elsewhere. e.g., Johnson in Melbourne might be sick of losing minutes to Anstey, Weigh in Perth would probably like a greater offensive workload, etc.

Reply #261203 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

COOPER for PM!

Reply #261215 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac post and highlight much stronger though that must replace Groves NOW try to get something positive to happen so we dont have a disastrous end to season and end up doing a complete overhaul of team .
I believe Hill and NG both have something to offer with right structure to gain confidence as both have different and good scoring skills though improving there defensive skills might be more difficult.
So if can finish season off ok .
I would only defenitely replace
Groves
Cooper
Moliter
and review Gilchrist to see if learn more about way game played especially under pressure to add to his good skills.
He could develope into one of our best imports but seeing some flaws in his character that could mean cant take the next step.
Also review Burston only because of constant injury and possibility of space debris landing on him.
Though would be good to get Schens. back and agree on Johnson of Melb. has the goods to be a top centre in NBL.
Lots of good young Aust. players around but guess all comes down to what prepared to invest in team and what can afford.
Re coaches well still sitting on fence re Scotty but defenitely MUST have one at least experienced coach on the bench next season.
But SOS make the future better for yourselves for future support make the change now and with best possible person your budget can stretch to as doing nothing will cost you more in long run

Reply #261219 | Report this post

Keep =
Burston - One of the best big men in the L when healthy.
Ballinger - Because it's Balls, true champion.
Holmes - Great rebounder and has an improving J.
Hill - Still developing and will be very good in a couple of years.
Ng - Need a shooter to come off the bench and stretch the D.
Herbert - Great defender and has shown he is handy at the other end too.

Let go =
Groves - An import needs to bring more than what he is giving at the moment.
Gilchrist - Is a good scorer but we need a pass first PG not a shoot first.
Cooper - Time to bring in a young C in the under 23 spot.
Molitor - What is the point of having him there if they aren't even going to give him a run.

Bring in =
Back up C using the under 23 spot.
Starting PG import.
Starting SF import. Hill, Ng and Herbert can rotate through the starting SG spot.
Back up PG, maybe bring back Aaron Bruce.

Scott Ninnis to stay on one more year but bring in some experienced assistants.

Reply #261230 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jesus, bit of a gamble backing up an injury-prone starter with your under 23. Also, Bruce was on a massive salary last time - not really back-up dollars.

Luke Martin wouldn't be an awful fall-back for a backup PG.

Reply #261232 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Bring back Bruce as PG and rotate Gilchrist to 2-man as a Slasher.

Move the likes of Ng as a backup or visa-versa for Gilchrist. Davidson to backup Bruce.

Bring in Maher as Head Coach w/ Brooks and Mee as assistant coaches. Have Mark Davis come is as a Big-Man coach and Daryl Pearce take a role a shooting coach.

Reply #261239 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Bring back AARON BRUCE, a true PG with a massive upside and he sets the intensity at the defensive end.
SOS do whatever it takes, we need him back.
Gilchrist to SG with Ng and herbert as back ups.

Reply #261252 | Report this post

Isaac, they can always do what they are doing this year and start both Ballinger and Holmes in the 4 and 5 spots.
I think calling Burston injury prone is a bit much, he wasn't injury prone until he got here. He did a good job Saturday night and if health is one of the best big men in Australia at the moment.

Reply #261262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And the problem is then that Ballinger is not a great defender. I think using the U23 spot where there is better coverage is smarter, unless we had a great prospect in that spot.

I'm a big fan of Burston, but he's had 2-3 seasons that have been derailed by injury problems. I think he was a good signing given what was available and would look to hold onto him, but any injury concerns were valid.

Reply #261272 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Glad to hear Bruce's name mentioned.

But, he is in the US of A getting to know the rich in-laws to be from all accounts.

Reply #261273 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well, regardless of what he was asking for (Money wise) and his lack of experience, a guy who can rack up around 8-16apg in his Rookie season is a worthwhile point guard; his turnover rate is about 2-1 or 3-1 which is great for a PG.

If he could show himself to be a reliable point; I think the extra money would be worth it. Especially if you can get enough Aussie talent to warrant ditching an import slot for next season.

Having Bruce, Gilchrist/Ng, Holmes, Balls & Schensher as a starting lineup is an awesome feat. I personally preferred the offense being run around Balls -> Schensher -> Others last year. It worked out alot better and Big Luke was a great "final resort" if the exterior was too tight.

Reply #261277 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Groves out and a big surprise with J Hodge as an import!!!!

Reply #261281 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In terms of Bruce, you dont pay a guy who is a back up point guard CJ Bruton money, let's put it that way. If Bruce wants to play in the NBL, he needs to recognise that he is a young player who is trying to prove he can be a good player at pro level, not act as if he is a superstar when his performances last year showed he couldnt run a team, yet.

Excellent decision by the Sixers not to fork out big money for him - the entire bench this year wouldnt be earning much more than what Bruce was getting.

Reply #261283 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Big Marty, you just listed our lineup for last year, which was not exactly a world-beater. I don't mind Bruce as a back-up PG with an upside, but he needs to know that he has a lot to learn at this level and prepared to do what he needs to do to get there.

Wow, having Gilchrist, Bruce, Ng and Hill as a backcourt is a certain way of making sure we will be hit with a lot more trapping defences - just a recipe for disaster.

What we need is a composed experienced player who doesn't fall apart at the thought of an extended defence, who is a true pass-first PG. While I would endorse Bruce being back on the roster, he is anything but those things.

Reply #261292 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Big Marty, you just listed our lineup for last year, which was not exactly a world-beater. I don't mind Bruce as a back-up PG with an upside, but he needs to know that he has a lot to learn at this level and prepared to do what he needs to do to get there.

Wow, having Gilchrist, Bruce, Ng and Hill as a backcourt is a certain way of making sure we will be hit with a lot more trapping defences - just a recipe for disaster.

What we need is a composed experienced player who doesn't fall apart at the thought of an extended defence, who is a true pass-first PG. While I would endorse Bruce being back on the roster, he is anything but those things.

Reply #261293 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Would kill for Steve Weigh. I'd also love to see Brucie back as a backup to Gilchrist (with a pay cut), a mate asked me what he was up to the other day (basketball-wise) and I didn't have an answer for him...

"X - I disagree with you about Ninnis. I want to see some continuity around here and would only sack the coach if it was clear to me at the end of the season that he hasn't got the skills to install a decent offence. I see this year as a year of growing pains. A year we put off for far too long because of the incompetence of BASA and then the emergency stewardship of Mal and co."

Fair calls, I was just a bit excited when someone mentioned Maher as coach I reckon. It's gotta happen sometime doesn't it. I'm just starting to get a bit impatient with Ninnis I guess, it's more the inability to get the team up consistently than his actual game-day moves, I rarely criticize his coaching during games.

Reply #261303 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just reading between the lines re Aaron Bruce - He was paid highly (overpaid) for playing basketball and can now make more money doing other things,now that he's married well,college degree and the like.

Reply #261304 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - now that there's less money playing basketball than he got, last season.

Reply #261306 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Get rid of Cooper he is useless and does nothing. I can't stand watching the man on the court. His turnovers frustrate me every time.

Reply #261320 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I have a feeling all you Gilchrist doubters will be eating your words.

Reply #261348 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Please no more calls for Davidson - the guy is past it and would be just another stop gap. Gilchrist is fine there. If Groves is cut then find a good young guy with potential to back him up for the 5 mins rest a game he needs.

No more calls for Bruce either. The guy has a wife in the States by the sounds and is not coming back here unless its for far more money than he's worth.

Guys like Rush and Weigh are the kind of guys I'd like to see us sign next season!

Reply #261350 | Report this post

mr sixer  
Years ago

Gillchrist is a great player and is a must for the sixers. he is a great ball handler and has great import stats, for a beginer in the nbl.

Reply #261476 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gilchrist is a very talented player, but not a great point guard. I think he would be a lot more effective with a smart two guard like Rillie, Jones, Penney etc who can do some of the playmaking and make good decisions.

As it is he is surrounded by Hill, Ng, Herbert and Groves, none of whom is a playmaker.

Reply #261479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh is signed with the Cats for next year according to Bevo and being from Brisbane i think there is much more of a chance of him going there although i think he will stay in Perth. Also talking to Schensh he gave me the impression he will try his luck overseas next year but if it doesn't work out he would like to come back to Perth as he loves playing with the guys and loves the Perth crowd too, i think he was just telling me what he thought i wanted to hear cause i am hoping for a straight swap with him and Burston next year.

Reply #266296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:12 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754