what dome
Years ago

NBL coaches protesting every call

Does anyone else think that the way Scott Ninnis treats referees during matches is not acceptable?

Obviously the standard of refereeing at the inverted Dome varies but if you took 10 decisions in a row it's likely that 8 of them would be correct, one might be wrong and the other a total howler. Then watch Ninnis' response to 5 out of those 10 decisions and he is doing the game a massive disservice.

Firstly his actions aren't exactly encouraging referees to take up officiating in droves. Secondly if you're new to the game and have spent time watching footy or rugby where there is no contact between coach and ref during the game you're unlikely to be impressed. Thirdly, it sets a bad example for his players, but the worst thing is that there are kids there watching the game. As a parent, if you could justify the way he acts during a game then you're either feral or you should definitely be in marketing.

There are heaps of coaches who are nearly as bad and the odd one worse, but I'll be buggered if the way they act is to the benefit of anyone at all - it’s self indulgent crap. If basketball coaches need to call time outs, subs or whatever else, put them in the second row of the stands and get rid of their sideshow which, while at times it can be amusing (ie. Goorjian, Westover), overall is a blight on the game.

Topic #21854 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Firstly, the Standard of refereeing this year has been a disgrace, partly due to their own incompetence and partly to the BA's rule/interpretation changes.

Secondly, I'm not saying Ninnis has been an angel, but there are far far worse going around, Joey Wright & Westover are worse and Lemanis, Fearne and Gleeson are all just as bad. But it's not a big issue for me anyway.

Reply #261297 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I cant fault Ninnis on this, the absolute pathetic Referee'ing this year makes me question every call. Even the obvious ones. In saying that last week was decidely better

Reply #261328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While its not a great look, as has been mentioned the standard this year is just horrible and that cuts both ways. They cant call traveling to save their life, its either pinging balls or letting one go as was the case with burston's baseline dunk last week. If its frustrating for fans imagine what it must be like for the players and coaches who have something invested in the calls, like their jobs.

Reply #261349 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Lemanis cries over every call, I think it's in his contract tho.
I can't really comment tho, I whinge every call regardless of how right it was.

Reply #261356 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

'What done' if you think 8 out of every 10 calls are correct you are obviously unsure on the rules / interpretations or are an umpire that refuses to stand up & acknowledge that the standard has been well below average this season.

I'd describe the calls this year as a lucky dip - you don't know what your getting.

Reply #261360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even some of the more experienced refs have completely lost the plot. Some cant even get up and down the court in time so how are they going to be in the best position to make the right call.

Reply #261361 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Funniest thing about this post: "what dome" and "inverted dome"

Nice.

Reply #261364 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In Darwin pre-season coaches asked the refs to call the game correctly ,rather than advantange ,disadvantage,play on ,no blood no foul,
and they would sit down more..
Ballinger was called for travel and WESTOVER got up and said 'That's not travel'
I'd guess I might've called a tech on Ninnis Sat.
And a few on Lemanis ,last time he was here ,he was over the top,on the court,in their faces.

Reply #261366 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I dont see anything wrong with coaches questioning the obviously BAD calls. It has been happening in basketball forever. I actually think it adds to the atmosphere and exitement of the game. The refs have the power to give a Tech if they believe it goes over the top.

Its a bit sensitive to worry about the example it gives the children. They see much worse on their video games at home. Lets not wrap them in cotton wool all the time. Emotion is a big part of the game. There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion within the rules of the game. It is the refs job to control the game after all.

Reply #261372 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

i see no prob with scotty doing this at all, the refs need to be held accountable as do all involved,

Reply #261388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches carrying on like pork chops has been going on for years. Eg. Goorjian lying and rolling around on the floor in Melbourne a few years ago in a final at the cage. If these guy's were coaching in the ABA they would be in the change-rooms by half time. (wether this is good or bad it is a matter of opinion)

The reason the coaches carry on is because the league let them. The ref's are NOT encouraged to stamp it out of the game by the league.

With the game this year, calling all the travels in destroying the game. Call the obvious ones and everyone will be happy. Calling a travel on a guy for lifting his big toe is ridiculous.

We go to see the players play, not the officials blow the shit out of games.

Reply #261408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel31, i think you will find the correct calling of games is Advantage/Disadvantage this is the main principle in the rule book (i find it helps me to read one every now and then:))

the coaches wanted it called tighter when they are in offence and how it was last season when they are defending... its always going to be an imperfect balance.

Having said that the overall standard has been lower this year. Having spoken to some of the refs they seem unsure as to exactly how the league wants it called, and each team seems to want it different as well. And that there has been very little direction given to them this year.

Reply #261410 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

FIBA call it having a feel for the game!!!! There is no feel at the moment

Reply #261411 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

FIBA don't have the coaches dictating to them how they want the game called.

I am not defending the umpires, heck I would class one or two as friends and I have questioned them on things this year. I sat down and watch a game tape with 2 of them and pointed out 5 questionable calls/no-calls in one quarter that I thought they got wrong. When we replayed the tape 4 of those were correct the other was a block/charge call that they definitely got wrong and agreed.

Would people like the fourth umpire introduced? It would definitely extend the game out longer than the old 48 minute game.

Reply #261421 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

No other sport allows the coaches to determine how the game is to be played!!!!! Its a joke !!!

Reply #261423 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw advantage/disadvantage is in the rule book.
I didn't even know that -LOL.
Coaches asked for the game to be called more TIGHTLY ,then.
'correctly' is a term some used.

Reply #261428 | Report this post

yeah boi  
Years ago

its not the refs who suck, its the bloody stupid rules that keep changing

Reply #261683 | Report this post

6er girl  
Years ago

WELL DONE WHAT DOME, about time someone said all of that....
Absolutely couldn't be more true....

Reply #262853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754