Group for 2010 World Cup

Australia
Argentina
Serbia
Germany
Jordan
Angola

http://linky.com.au/a659l

Not a bad group to be in. Good chance for Australia to progress to next round. Let's hope all current players are available to make commitment.

Topic #21868 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

I'm thinking a squad of

Mills/Bruton/Dalledova
Newley/Ingles/Harvey
Barlow/Worthington
Nielson/Jawai/Ballinger
Bogut/Anderson/Schenscher

Reply #261493 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I saw it mentioned in a NZ article that Bruton was likely to put his hand up for selection which is good for Brown. Gives him some decent PG stocks - CJ, Mills, Gibson and Dellavedova.

Reply #261497 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

you guys are stuffed, you have to play Jordan, he's gonna dunk on you's hardout ;)

Reply #261500 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Alex Maric has been carving up the Euroleague lately and could be a look in for the 11th or 12th spot on the roster

Reply #261507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apprently maric wants to play for serbia

Reply #261527 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maric has already played for Australia previously so he can't play for Serbia!

Reply #261535 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good group, we could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th.

Reply #261540 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think we could have done better by getting into the group with the US. That group looks a little on the soft side. But we definitely got the second best group.

Reply #261542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only twelve man squads Flinders80

Reply #261553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maric has already played for Australia previously so he can't play for Serbia!"

no, he has only played for the junior team, so he can still play for serbia

Reply #261558 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

He has played for the junior team, but he will be ineligible to play for Seriba, because the junior tournament was FIBA sanctioned and under current rules, once a player plays in any FIBA sanctioned event, he cannot play for another country.
It doesn't matter about age; If you play for that country as a junior in a FIBA sanctioned event, you lose you eligibility to play for another country.

Reply #261565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't AJ Mastrovic play Juniours for Australia and then played for the tall blacks??

Reply #261567 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Macdub01 is spot on the money with regards to FIBA eligibility. That is why it was so important (and in the eyes of New Zealanders controversial) that Aron Baynes played for Oz earlier this year, as he could have also chosen to play for NZ. Now that he has played for Oz he no longer has a chance to play for NZ. The same applies to Maric.

Reply #261568 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

balls isnt making the boomers squad

Reply #261607 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BA have posted an article on what Nielsen, Andersen, Bogut and Mills think of the Boomers draw for the 2010 WC's.

Link: http://linky.com.au/dyxlr

Nielsen: "I feel that most of the pools are fairly even and there's no real group of death. In regards to our pool, I think there are two really strong teams in Argentina and Serbia. Argentina has a veteran team with experience playing together for over a decade and has had numerous successes."

Andersen: "The draw we got seems to be pretty good and we have a bit of a mix of nations. Upcoming teams like Jordan and Angola, they can be dangerous, so nothing can be taken lightly. Plus, throw in Germany and Serbia, two good European teams, and it will be a challenge to get wins."

Bogut: "Obviously any group is tough at a World Championship. We feel that if we can play our style of game we can be very competitive. We should not be too worried about the other teams but be more worried about ourselves playing to our strengths and style."

Mills: "When I saw the draw my first reaction was, 'sweet, that was better than what we had in Beijing and the last Worlds'. The draws we’ve had of late have been really tough but I think this one is better."

Reply #261775 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754