At the half
Years ago

OK Rate the top 36ers Imports

This for mine: Above the line have been the good imports and any future imports from next season on should be messured by this standard

Oh and I think they should keep John because he is young and has excellent potential to break in to the top tier

What are peoples thoughts?

1. Mark Davis - easy No 1
2. Al Green - close No 2, has the stat's and ring
3. Darnel Mee - champion
4. Kevin Brooks - champion
5. Butch Hayes - all class
6. Adam Ballanger - all class
7. Willie Farley - great to watch
8. Bill Jones - champion, genuine centre
9. Robert Rose - all class
10. Julius Hodge - well, he had the place full of spectators keen to see him play
-----------------------------------
11. Dusty Rychart
12. Rick Brunson
13. John Gillchrist
13. Leon Trimmingham
14. Willie Simmons
15. Jo Jo English
16. Nick Hovarth
17. Wayne Mcdaniel

18. Charles Thomas (9 3 pointers in single game and also 11 turnovers in a single game)

19. Cortez Groves
20. Tyndale
21. Orlando Philips
22. Jeff Brown
23. Chapell
24. Mcurdy

Did not see play:

David Winslow

Topic #21900 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Nice work remembering all those names, just move Judas about 14 spots lower and Tyndale just over Tez and I'm happy.

How can Judas be ahead of Dusty??? I was never a huge Dusty fan but seriously, we never won with Judas and then he walked out on us. And how many games did he play for us? like 30? Dusty was a solid player for years and a pretty good team man.

Reply #262054 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Interesting topic will jump in more depth when i have a few mins..

Where would you rank Matt Garrison?

Reply #262056 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Good list, except I'd have Dusty in the top 10 , and Hodge a long way off. His enormous talent was exceeded only by his bad attitude.

Reply #262057 | Report this post

At the half  
Years ago

Ok so I reckon Dusty was a good import for Adelaide, as you can see from my comment I have Hodge up there because of his game but not ahead of those who were long term champions or winners so to speak.

What did we win with Dusty?

Think about if the money dispute had not happened with Mal and Hodge, would he be considered one of our better imports, I think so - dont let your hate for the guy come in to his ability or the fact everyone loved him up until he missed that game.

would you consider Bradtke one of our best Autralian players of all time?, of course!! - yet he was hated big time. I remember spectators spitting on him as he walked down the outside players race after getting off the team bus and the Dome has never been as full 1 hour before the game with fans arving to abuse him from minute 1-48

I forgot about Garrison, I would rate him after Willie Simmons and before Jo Jo Go Go!

Reply #262059 | Report this post

supa21  
Years ago

Good List.

i would swap Kevin Brooks to No9 with Rob Rose with Rick Brunsen taking No 10 spot

Reply #262060 | Report this post

At the half  
Years ago

fair call, I just reckon that Rob only played around 50 games for Sixers & Brooks won two championships with Mee

Reply #262061 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Here is my list, I have Hodge high based on skills not on character. There are guys on the list who act up off the court and have acted as foolish as Hodge, just aint stamped on our court. My list is based on best player alone, not how long they played ect.

1. Davis - Legend
2. Rob Rose (Clutch, almost won us a GF on his own shoulders
3. Al Green - 71 pts in a game says it all.
4. Mee - Best defender I have ever seen.
5. Hodge - for mine top 3 in pts, rbs and ast, insane.
6. Ballinger
7. Brooks
8. Farley
9. Bill Jones
10. Brunson - Very good PG, could take over a game.

11. Rychart
12. Gilchrist
13. Hays - Good player just chocked to much for me.
14. Trimmingham
15. C Thomas
16. David Robinson
17. Horvath
18. JoJo English - could play, struggled to Aust travel rule and found it hard coming in mid season.
19. Willie Simmons - Should be higher but coming of knee surgury cost him the season we had him as our full time import.
20. Tyndale
21. Chapell - close toss up with Groves.
22. Groves
23. Jeff Brown

Can not remember seeing these guys to make an accurate comment

Wayne McDaniel
Paris McCurdy
Orlando Phillips
David Winslow

Reply #262062 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

At the Half and vanexel, so your lists are on the MOST INDIVIDUALLY TALENTED imports then? Regardless of how that translates into performance? I don't care how good his stats were, he plays in a way that makes it hard for his team to win games. It's not just "his attitude" off the court, his "game" is not effective in winning games, it's effective in collecting stats, I thought we established this where have you guys been?

Reply #262064 | Report this post

At the half  
Years ago

Well in my opinion Hodge was quality with Adelaide - made the team much better than it would have been without him and helped take there team from second bottom to almost making the playoffs in the first stint with the club.
I can't remember any fans on here criticizing him at the time?? Can you??

My list is based on talent but also taking in to consideration players who had strong team performance that's why Hodge is only rated No 10 and why I had Rose lower (less games played)

Reply #262065 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"made the team much better than it would have been without him"

Well that's where we disagree then.

"I can't remember any fans on here criticizing him at the time?? Can you??"

Actually yeah, about his Jumpshot, attitude, and the way just about every player on the team seemed to drop off. But I'm not doubting that at the time we loved him, we didn't realise what a cancer he was, what's your point?

Reply #262068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's David Robinson & Rod Grizzard?

Reply #262069 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hodge is a great player; provided he plays for a crap team with no star power to begin with. Also needs to get every play either started or run through him to be effective.

Davis
Rose - "Only non-title winner with Adl I'd put in Top5"
Green
Mee
Brooks
Ballinger - "Great, but wouldn't move higher without a title"
Farley
Brunson
Jones
Rychart

==========

Considering his disrespect of the club and one of its legends; I wouldn't even consider ranking him. Ranking would assume you'd still give a crap about him.

Reply #262073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jerry Dennard

/thread

Reply #262095 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Mark Davis
Al Green
Darnel Mee
Kevin Brooks
Butch Hays
Robert Rose
Adam Ballanger (Still moving up)
Willie Farley
Bill Jones
Rick Brunson
David Robinson
Dusty Rychart
John Gillchrist
Leon Trimmingham
Willie Simmons
Julius Hodge
Jo Jo English
Matt Garrison
Nick Hovarth
Wayne Mcdaniel
Charles Thomas
Cortez Groves
Mark Tyndale
Orlando Philips
Jeff Brown
Mike Chapell
Paris Mcurdy

Reply #262105 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

For me Brooks with his clutch games and 2 championships with us. Rose was awesome but zero championships with him. Farley got us 1 so he is up there, of course Davis with his championships and league leading stats but i like the cocky clutch players so Brooks for me just my opinion.

Reply #262106 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Heros.

1. Rob Rose - Greatest player ever in Oz for me. 3 of his singlets hanging above me as I type this... like anyone is suprised :p

2. Mark Davis - Legend.
3. Darnell Mee - Very close to 2nd.
4. Al Green - Also close to 2nd.
5 Willie Farley - Amazing offense.

Standouts.

6. Adam Ballanger - Always rock solid.
7. Kevin Brooks - Unstoppable from outside.
8. Butch Hayes - Class act.
9. Bill Jones - Champion.
10. Julius Hodge - Talented jerk.

Thanks for being Sixers.

11. Dusty Rychart - Definition of blue collar worker.
13. John Gillchrist - Still finding his feet.
13. Leon Trimmingham - Excitement machine!
14. Willie Simmons - Love the skyhook.
15. Jo Jo English - Talented on his day.
16. Rick Brunson - Never liked anyone on Dunlap's side.
17. Nick Hovarth

Who?

18. Wayne Mcdaniel
19. Charles Thomas
20. Rodd Grizzard
21. Cortez Groves
22. Mark Tyndale
23. Orlando Philips
24. Jeff Brown
25. Mike Chapell
26. Paris Mcurdy

Reply #262112 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I like the categories Loco! The only thing I disagree with in your ordering is I'd swap the positions of Farley and Brooks, but each to their own.

Reply #262114 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

How could any one rate Hodge in top 12 the guy really done nothing for us but showed us a bit of ability.
If you want to rate it for crowd pleasure you would have Neon Leon in there .
That man could damn near fly.
My opinion that some overated KB as well as think that Darnell basically made KB the star he was .
Think some under estimated the efforts for club that Dusty made in time here.
By far the top 3 in any order
Rob Rose -- Mark Davis -- Darnell Mee
Willie F was awesome for first 2 years with us.
Adam B has to only get us a title to jump right in top 4 .
Gilchrist if stays here and learns and matures more in role then he could climb high .
Looking at those names we have had some shockers

Reply #262117 | Report this post

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

Not sure that the "Mean Machine" scored his 71 points while playing for the 36ers. I seem to recall that he was with West Adelaide and he scored those against Frankston

Reply #262129 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Matty Garrison and Rick Brunson both went on to play NBA after being 36er imports,
which indicates that we did not see the best of them, as they likely improved after stints here.

Any other imports play NBA after being 36ers?

Reply #262133 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Correct Neville.

71 Al Green (West Adelaide) vs Frankston 25/05/84

Reply #262134 | Report this post

State  
Years ago

What have you won with Ballinger?

Reply #262136 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My top 5:

1. Mark Davis
2. Rob Rose
3. Al Green
4. Darnel Mee
5. Kevin Brooks

Hard to put a number next to some of these guys...and then there are those I couldn't fit in.

Reply #262140 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan - Since when did Matt Garrison play NBA?
Training camp maybe...

Some good lists here. I like Loco's method best. Only one of the top 5 I wouldn't have there is Farley - but thats because I was overseas when he helped us to a championship and the few times I saw him afterward he didn't really impress me much.

I'd put Davis first, Mee second and Rose (GREAT player but never won a title with us) third. Green fourth and round it out with Butch. Hays gets in there because he was a hero for me while he was here. Loved his ball-handling, hustle and great attitude!

Brooks (very close to Butch at #5), Ballinger, Brunson, Trimmingham and Jones all standouts for me. Dusty close behind and Gilchrist too - I reckon the Gizmo could end up top 5 or 6 if he stays awhile and improves his ability to get other guys shots.

After that lot, they were mostly pretty forgettable from my point of view. David Robinson was the one exception - I can't remember if his stats were great and only saw him play maybe twice - but he has always stuck in my memory for some reason. Perhaps because I naively thought he would stay and fill Mark Bradtke's huge shoes in the middle?

Reply #262148 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

M . DAVIS
A . GREEN ( no question )
D . MEE
R . ROSE
K . BROOKS
B . JONES
W . FARLEY
D . CLAUSEN
A . BALLINGER

Reply #262153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember David Robinson being pretty good?

and yeah Matt Garrison never played in the NBA. After the championship with the 36ers in '02 he went back to the US and somehow managed to do a pre-season with the Clippers but was cut prior to the start of the season.

Reply #262154 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

The only thing wrong with these lists is:
You can only rate as imports those players who played AS IMPORTS.
From Day 1, Al Green played as an Aussie for the 36ers. The 2 Sixer imports were Mark Davis and Bill Jones when Al was first playing for Adelaide.
Al is one of the greatest Americans to play NBL here - no dispute. But he was NEVER a 36ers import.
Surely your starting point is with championships.
Darnell Mee and Kevin Brooks both won two as our imports so that has to rate them as 1-2 right there.
Mark Davis, Bill Jones, Willie Farley, Matt Garrison won one title with us.
People tend to think Davis won 3 titles (which he did). But it was only the one as an IMPORT.
Some details are relevant I would think.
Just saying...

Reply #262160 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Guess it's a toss-up with Hodge. Depends how you approach the list. If it's in terms of valuable player to the Sixers, he wouldn't be in my top 20.

In terms of entertainment, top 10.

In terms of individual ability, top 10.

In terms of integrity, not on the list.

In terms of W/L, not top 20.

Guess you could make the same argument for Rob - no championships, but I've not seen a Sixer do more to win one. So results wise, maybe 5th? Abilty, entertainment, integrity, W/L wise top 3 everytime.

At the end of the day, I've not seen someone so determined and focussed to win at all costs, and I've always admired that more than any other trait personally.

Agree excitment-wise Neon Leon was off the hook!

Reply #262161 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

i no this is off topic but i think the best import combination to play in Adelaide was Green and Loggins at west and they won a title

Reply #262166 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

know not no!!!!!

Reply #262167 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Mee and Brooks in championship combination form versus Green and Loggins in championship form.
That'd be something to see.

Reply #262172 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Yeah so what are we basing this on? Success, talent, entertainment?

My top 5 (based on talent alone)

1 Mark Davis
2 Darnell Mee
3 Robert Rose
4 Kevin Brooks
5 Butch Hays

My personal Favs would include Willie Farley for his showmanship, Ricky Brunson for his skills and his attitude and of coarse Leon Trimmingham.
Loved Julius before he became a dick.

As for worst well you could debate over Orlando Phillips, Jeff Brown of Paris McCurdy for mine.

Reply #262173 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Nobody has yet to mention Dwayne Nelson!

Reply #262175 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Again, similar to an above post, Dwayne Nelson never played for Adelaide as an import. I'm surprised Tom Schaefer isn't mentioned. Was as tough as buggery as a player - real hard-nosed stuff.

Reply #262185 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Whilst I agree with most peoples top 10 or so, most of you obviously didn't see Wayne McDaniel play. He was a monster for 6'6" & an absolute scoring machine. He's easily in my top 12, & would be higher had he played more than 2 seasons here.

Also, does anyone remember Reg Biddings in the early days? He was an import alongside David Winslow & scored 63 points in a 40 minute game, an NBL record until Al Green scored 71 in a 48 minute game. Awesome shooter, a 6'7" off guard!

Reply #262186 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

My list for what it's worth:

1. Mark Davis by a street.
2. Darnell Mee
3. Kevin Brooks
4. Rob Rose
5. Willie Farley
6. Adam Ballinger
7. Butch Hays
8. Bill Jones
9. Dusty Rychart
10. David Winslow/Wayne McDaniel - two scoring machines that are hard to split.

Most others weren't here long enough. Hard to rate someone as top notch if they only played here for one season or less (eg Brunson, Hodge). Hodge was certainly on his way to being top five if not top two but alas, that horse has bolted.

Reply #262187 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall Reg Biddings being here, but only vauguely - might've played in an Easter carnival. I think Mt Gambier. Maybe.. tooo many games all running into each other now.. The memories are fading away..
Anyways - very interesting reading the above.
( small point - some have 'Import' Adam Ballinger moving up lists..)
I could have Hodge and Groves a little higher, but I don't feel like getting my head blown off.

Reply #262189 | Report this post

At the half  
Years ago

Moses, are you saying you do not rate Green in your top ten?

Remember it was not just his one game shooting over 70 for West, he had so many 40+ games for the 36ers

Reply #262206 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's about Al Green (and Dwayne Nelson) played as Aussies for the 36ers - not imports
(and Ballinger naturalised this year)

Reply #262221 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Beat me to it Moses... Tom Schaeffer was a quality import on a pretty ordinary team. A solid PF/SF would do us wonders right now.

I loved watching Bill Jones and Mark Davis as our imports (as Al Green was naturalised by then) as well as Kevin Brooks and Darnell Mee. I dont think anyone could argue those being the best tandems that Adelaide have had.... and not for just one season either, they had some longevity/loyalty!!!

PS Hodge does not rate in the top 20 IMO, not a professional, so he does not make the cut!
"He ain't nothin' but a gold digger"
And that was before he did the dirty on the 36ers

Reply #262225 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

The Journo's top five

1. Robert Rose - easily the best import the 36ers have had, without him the 1994 and 1995 36ers would not have got past the quarter finals.

2. Mark Davis - immediate impact and longevity is what you want in an import, club legend.

3. Darnell Mee - talented and true point guard and in my opinion made the career of Brett Maher blossom even more.

4. Kevin Brooks - showman who also knew how to get the job done at both ends of the floor.

5. Willie Farley - in a similar mould to Mee and Brooks, his first season was outstanding but probably stayed too long in the end. Should have never have went to West Sydney in 2003!

Reply #262285 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

No Paul Maley?

Reply #262687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Rillie?

Reply #262707 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

I guess Rillie and he's out of space looks can put him in the import category.

Reply #262726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754