mystro
Years ago

Breakers to make Import(ant) decision

In the next couple of days the Breakers Management will be making a decision weather or not to sign a second Import to resurrect their season. Apparently they have been closely watching the player market since releasing Storey. Management have said there is available money for a second Import.
I think NZ need a robust Power Forward to compliment Rickert inside, someone who can play the post, rebound, block shots and take the heat off when Rickert gets into foul trouble.
NZ Herald have stated that the expect Trueman to be the player that gets dropped if this is the case.
Thoughts?

(Mod: Title modified. Bahahaha I crack me up)
(Mod disclaimer: That wasn't Isaac - my jokes are much worse.)

Topic #21901 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

On Saturday night Lemanis said that Pledger would be the guy to rest Rickert, and Bear would slot back to 4. I think they need a strong athletic small forward, but whatever they go for, he needs to be able to rebound and defend if NZ want to win a title.

Do they have enough points available to drop Trueman and bring in an import?

Reply #262081 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Would be good if Forman worked on his Post game some more and crashed the boards more. Could rotate him to the 4 and get "Crumbly" to the 3.

See whether a mid-season trade to the Taipans for Dusty would work. Certainly would complement some of the gaps in the Breakers frontcourt.

Reply #262089 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Someone who is a scoring threat inside is what is required. Could open up even more open looks for then 3 point bombers and keep defences honest.

Reply #262094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I actually think in Rickert, Ronaldson and Boucher they have enough guys who can cerate inside, but a guy who can shoot and score/create on the drive might bridge the gap between their inside/outside game and give them a third dimension - not to mention perhaps play some defence!

Reply #262104 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Is Julius free?

Reply #262108 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

They need a slasher. someone like Ere. They have enough 3 pt Shooters and Inside scorers..What they need is someone who can draw fouls off the dribble by attacking rim.

Reply #262110 | Report this post

Cats Fan  
Years ago

I should add

Bruton
Penny
Ere
Ronaldson
Rickert

Thats one Seasoned team with alot of Vets who know how to get it done.

Reply #262111 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Perfect player for this team = Ro Ellis.

They definitely need an inside scorer/rebounder more than they need an outside scorer like Ere, what he brings isn't too different to Penney and I have a feeling they would clash. He's really not that good a slasher and would obviously cost a fair bit.

Paul, Rickert is their only legit inside scorer. I don't see how we can consider Ronaldson an inside player anymore, Trueman's not in the rotation and Boucher just isn't a big enough scorer/rebounder.

Reply #262116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ronaldson scores a bit from post moves and Boucher's buckets are all inside from cuts or keeping the ball after the defence has become confused.

Reply #262128 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Boucher has actually scored quite a bit (by his standards) on spins from the low block this year. The Bear can still score inside, as he has done on many occassions this season.

Reply #262130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a 4 obviously and Rosell Ellis would be an almost perfect fit.

Reply #262155 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Simply can't be done (drop Trueman and add an import)
Rickert 10
Boucher 10
Penney 10
Forman 8
Rillie 8
Boucher 7
Ronaldson 6
Henare 5
Abercrombie 1

In 9 players, that's 65 points.
Then they have Trueman/Pledger (11th man, 1 point) and Import to come in if that's how they want to go. Ie. 4 points left.

Rillie would have to be released to make it feasible.
It's possible to drop Henare, but only for an 8. (Hawkins/Grizzard/Hinson/Franklin)

Reply #262198 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Richard Clark said on radio last night they are not actively pursueing another import but that they are keeping options open.
Heard that Lemanis does not want to affect team chemistry by bringing in an unknown.
What has happenned to Dave Thomas? Has he recovered from whatever problem he had?

My feeling is they will live with Rickert, Boucher and sometimes Ronaldson providing the paint action and rely on the 3 ball.

Look at the rest of the league, who has a dominant frontcourt? Breakers are holding their own against everyone. We have been beaten on glass by Hawks and Perth in a couple of games but its not happening regularly.
Status quo for mine.

Reply #262228 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I think if they stick with current line up Lemanis needs to work on having a plan B.
Several times this season they have played smothering man to man with great effect and forced turnover after turnover with full court presses yet the very next week play a less than ordinary zone and let teams score at will, frustrating to say the least.
Rickert is having a great season and will be good to have Pledger back on the bench.

Reply #262229 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Could always pull in Carlos Powell again from the Dakota Wizards.

The man tore it up for them a few years back. Wouldn't mind seeing him again in the league.

Reply #262232 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good points Mystro. I suspect they are struggling to keep that intensity up for whole games, but when they are up the floor they look great.

I thikn the key is to spell Bruton more frequantly but for short periods, as he is the one, along with Boucher, who sets the tone on the denial defense but is too worn out to do it in the second half. Similarly, use RIllie more and give Penney more rest, particularly earlier in games.

Reply #262235 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie plays awesome D and has quick hands and troubles most players as soon as they put the ball on the floor.
I tend to agree that Bruton needs to be rested more and Henare plays good D but can't score so it's a matter of managing rotations so there are enough scoring threats left on the floor with people who can play D so sort it Lemanis

Reply #262258 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Carlos Powell was a ball hog, sure he could score but we still lost alot while he was here

Reply #262259 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754