Happy Gilmore
Years ago

20 Minute Halves

I wish the NBL would implement 20 minutes halves. I hate 10 minute quarters. Too many breaks not enough action. Also, replace half the timeouts with 30 second time outs.

Or go back to 12 minute quarters.

Topic #21910 | Report this topic

Tripod  
Years ago

Completely disgaree, i love it the way it is.

Reply #262245 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

How is this a spoiler?

Reply #262247 | Report this post

Happy Gilmore  
Years ago

No idea why the spoiler tag is there.

Reply #262249 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The spoiler tag has been removed. It shows up if you check the box next to "Check this if your topic contains a game spoiler (e.g., an NBA game that might be televised later)."

Reply #262254 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

bring back 12 min quarters. Its a reward for making it to that level. I heard they did the 10min quarters to be in-line with Olympics. Wouldnt it make more sense to play longer (48 mins) so that when the Olympics come players have better game endurance.

Basketball is always messed up by the people who run it......no jump balls, but an arrow, what genius came up with that, probably never played the game, doesnt know the skill it takes to out jump a big guy, or a big guy to tap it to another play for an easy 2. Why do we change what works???

Reply #262256 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

No one would attend to 20 minute halve games!! Worst possible idea.. BRING BACK 12 MINUTE QUARTERS PLEASE!! Its over too quickly for god sake.

Reply #262261 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SP, it's not just the international game that 40 minute games are about, but trying to create a more concise package for TV (now and in the future).

Reply #262263 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

12min quarters for me ;)

Reply #262264 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Definitely not a fan of 20 minute halves, completely changes the flow of the game which is fine just the way it is.

I would also like to see them revert back to 12 minute quarters - more bang for your buck and a measure of playing at the elite level.

Totally agree with SP too. Never been a fan of the possesion arrow. Bring back the jump ball and reward people for playing good defence!

Reply #262265 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Love the 20min half format for college and domestic games...but leave the 4 quarters as is.

Reply #262266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seven footers have the endurance of a dead mule hence the next move is likely to be 8 minute qtrs

Reply #262268 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

We've seen some really good games this year - high intensity and relatively high scoring too. Whether or not it is a result of the reduction in playing time, I don't know, but if we are going to see that sort of quality because of it, I'll happily forgo an extra eight minutes of crap basketball, especially if it means more tv coverage too.

Reply #262269 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Would be worth adding a few extra games a season to make up for the minutes being lost.

Or alternatively, go for a 7-game finals series; I'd certainly prefer the chance to watch more than 1 knockout final or just 3 semi/grand final games at worst case.

Reply #262273 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

So, did the first poster click "spoiler" because they think that 4 x 10mins "spoils" the game of basketball???

Reply #262286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jokes aside, I'd say it's because a checkbox prior to a submit button is often used as a "tick this to confirm you've read the rules" element.

Reply #262287 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

20 questions?
when did 12 minute quarters come in?
did it have to do with a slide in TV ratings?
did it create lower or extra spectators?

No to 20 minute halves ,yawnesville ,watching teams play in carnivals

Reply #262288 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I don't go with the idea of 20 minute halves, but I'd love to get jump balls back.

Reply #262289 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I just don't get the love for jump balls. I have never had a game ruined by the lack of jump ball, or had anything even come close to resembling annoyance at the arrow.

Reply #262291 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Don't agree with 20 min halves, but bring back one and one after team foul penalty. Sure, it might make games go a bit longer but it adds another tactical element to the game.

Reply #262301 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

^Agree with TC2. Has never really bothered me. Except I'd like to see the refs let the players go at it for a bit longer rather than blowing the whistle as soon as both players have a piece of it.

Reply #262310 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

TC2 and Xztatik do you play bball or just watch? If you play and play competitively and want to win at any cost then the love for jump balls comes from working your behind off in d-fense, getting a stop! Or chasing down a loose ball, diving for it, doing what you can for your team to get the ball. With the arrow system you work hard and then give the ball back to offense if the arrow is pointing their way. That is not a reward for hard work! Bbball is not just about scoring, there are many aspects, d-fense, box out, picks, mind games etc... All these and more make the game great, the arrow fails!

Reply #262345 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Have to strongly agree with SP- many times you see a player work like hell to force a jump-ball situation, only to see it be given back to the opposition.
Yes, I realise that the arrow turns around immediately after the possession, but it rarely seems fair in competitive situations.

Reply #262346 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Work like hell to force a jump ball? Come on, you need to put your hands on the ball at the same time as another guy, or fall on top of him when he is on the ground. It's a good effort to do so but it's not the most fantastic hustle play that you are trying to describe it as. I don't see what boxing out, picks and mind games have got to do with the possession arrow either.

Reply #262347 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And as far as me playing, yes, for many years, at competitive levels too. I love the hustle of the game and would always work my arse off. If I forced a jump ball and the arrow wasn't pointing our way, it wouldn't be of the slightest concern because you get straight back out there and do it all again. What is more rewarding, winning a jump ball, or tying a ball up TWICE so you get the possession?

Reply #262349 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

The reason why i asked if you played, is because players understand this stuff im saying, where as non-players just really watch for the scoring. Just wanted to know where you where coming from. Your bout the only player that likes the arrow. I bet the world if the people running the show took a petition with players to have the arrow or not, "not" would win in a land slide!

Boxing out, picks, mind games etc dont have anything to with the arrow. You missed the point. The point is non-players watch for scoring, players watch and notice these things. And they're all the little things that make the game great.

And im not saying a jumb ball is the best hustle play, but it can be, whether you tie the ball up, take a charge, run off a pick for an easy 2, what ever, you work hard you get results. You ever changed a game from a hustle play, it happens, therefore for that one game it could be the best play, the defyning moment.

Also the point regarding this jump ball business was an example to outline, it worked well, just like 12 min quarters, why do things that work get changed?.............TV ratings, world game, silly people in charge...who knows???

Reply #262363 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Ok, fair enough.

As far as the little things that make the game great, I'm all for them. You only need to watch the minute-long spectacle of watching NBA players line up and having the ref takes ages until he is satisfied enough for him to hoist the ball and you can see why the jump ball itself is not something to get excited about.

I am sure most people would say they don't like the arrow but if you ask them to outline their reasons why, they probably couldn't come up with more than "well, that's the way we have always done it." It's a small change, it hasn't impacted any games that I have ever seen but I think it's a change for the better.

Reply #262366 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I was not a fan of the possession arrow when it came in, but it is actually fairer than a jump ball. The stoppage occurs because there is a 50/50 event in which you cannot separate the two teams. So what could be fairer than alternating possession between the teams 50/50. Any other result has its inequities, particularly jump balls, which pretty much have a foregone conclusion on most occasions.

Reply #262370 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

SP, yeah I play, actually it's probably the fact that I'm usually the smallest player on the court that makes me dislike jumpballs haha.

But nah I see where you're coming from, it's just never really bothered me.

Reply #262404 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

No worries gentlemen, somehow turned out to be a good sub-topic. Yeah Xztatik i to share the pain of being the smallest out there, gotta use the brains and the speed...hehehe.

Reply #262405 | Report this post

SP  
Years ago

No worries gentlemen, somehow turned out to be a good sub-topic. Xztatik, i to share the pain of being the smallest one out there, gotta use the brains and the speed....hehehe.

Reply #262406 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

See, I was usually the largest man out there but I still didn't like the jump ball ;-)

Reply #262420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754