Humpa
Years ago

This player is "shooting the lights out"

This is one of the lamest basketball phrases/quotes ever.

It makes no sense... When a player is shooting well the lights don't go magically go out.

I can tell you now it's pretty hard to play without lights.

They used to shut them off at 10pm at my local park in high school. Difficult to see the rim from over ~15 feet away.

The police actually pulled up one time and told me to leave. Like they'd rather me be out partying and getting drunk with all the other high school students on a friday night...as opposed to innocently playing basketball on a dark court. do work guys. good job.

Topic #21979 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It's just a phrase. Get over it. What about "he's on fire"? using the same logic as you, you can point out that a player doesn't spontaneously combust when they're shooting well. I imagine aswell, that it'd be pretty hard to play while on fire.

Reply #263030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On fire is somewhat logical.

When u're on fire and have a streak going, your shooting arm feels warmer. Dunno how to describe it.

Reply #263031 | Report this post

KIng James  
Years ago

Why is this even being discussed!!!!! lol

Reply #263032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"tickles the twine"
"nothing but nylon"
"nothing but net"
"...and one"
"he's on fire"

Reply #263033 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Haven't really thought about it but perhaps shooting the lights out something along the lines of shooting so well that you'd hit them even if the lights were out?

Maybe try hitting up that park when your on fire after 10pm.

Reply #263034 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It comes from an old saying to do with a rifle & shooting lights out - so the bandit can't be seen.

I shot that well in a game once a commentator called me 'unconcious'. Trust me i was concious!

Reply #263035 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That wasn't me that posted get another nick name!

Reply #263037 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm glad you explained that it comes from rifle shooting - orbit. My mind was wondering...
I'm from the 60's where words meant different things to what they do today. Back then if someone was funny ,we'd call them a riot. If they were good we'd say they were cool and I think you call them hot,now.
And, Wilt Chamberlain could put a dollar bill on the top of the backboard (13feet) and take coins off for change. My mind was wondering through all those things, trying to figure it out.

Reply #263041 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

How bout AFL terms?

Something about "knocked up getting possessions"

Reply #263045 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' He had his name written all over the ball and went up and took a screamer. ' - AFL.

( "In the 60s a man walked on the moon." I once told my young daughter. " As if. " She replied.)

Reply #263046 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Only 3 and a bit weeks to go before school goes back........

Reply #263052 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Camel31, if she replied "as if", you should've told her that he was the guy who destroyed Australia at the SCG yesterday.

Good topic btw. Reminds me of the "10-second differential" between the game and shot clock. Since when is there a differential out there? What's a car got to do with it? It's a difference!

Reply #263062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaucob Burjan?

Reply #263066 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

boomshakalaka

Reply #263132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754