HO
Years ago

Austadiums Season Averages Up to Date

People might be interested to see that austadiums has updated its crowd averages for 09/10 (at last).

NBL crowds on averages are up by around 50 fans per game with a much lower "best" crowd and a much higher "worst" crowd than last season. Of course aggregate crowds will read like a disaster at seasons end simply because there are less games.

Catch it here: http://linky.com.au/55ma3

its hard to read this really, the Dragons had a very good average last season, and the Spirit a disastrous one... so what does 50 more people per game really mean?

And for the "I told you so file..... remembering eearly in the season, when i prophesized an average crowd of under 10,000 per game for the fast diminishing a-league.... check out the a-league while you are there....

Topic #22000 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take out new franchises North Queensland and Gold Coast averages and what then do the A-league figures.

While the A-league is weaker, once again we would love to be where they are.

Reply #263314 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do that and it is around 11,000. Of course, take out Melbourne and the A-League figures are down at 8000 - you cant play that game without doing so the other way.

Yes, the NBL would like to be where the A-League is crowds wise, but without the unsustainable expenditure.

Reply #263316 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

the reason I focus on the a-league and its demise is because so many think (still) that the NBL needs a relaunch like the a-league and should model itself this way - yet the proof is that it does not work. all a-league teams lost money last year, crowds are in free-fall etc YET the conditions which football finds itself in as a sport are remarkably similar to basketball...

large playing base
both genders play the game in big numbers
better leagues overseas
previous league incarnation failed
has moved to restructure under the governing body etc

the a-league went down the revolution path and all seemed good for a little while, perhaps a more evolutionary path is better for the NBL.

Reply #263320 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed this time last year that 20/20 Cricket seemed to have a big appeal. So I mentioned we should do bonus points for dunks,no F/Ts = sideball pass or shoot and the like, pre-game.
It seems, this year SA Cricket gets full houses for 20/20 and 9 people to a normal game. It's a family friendly, growing, popular game and our 20/20 would get us a bit of publicity and people coming out for a look at it - Pre Game.

Reply #263356 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

but the question camel31 is how long before the public gets bored with T20, in the same way they have largely moved away from ODI...

The ICC currently rules that a country cannot host more than a certain number of T20 games (nation v nation) - when that is removed how popular will the state games be?

Reply #263357 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On that I couldn't be sure. I'd guess each state is presently allowed 1 Import per team and that has appeal. With maybe Warne, and like keen to have a go as are kids and parents keen to get the schools into it.
(We were going to trial say a group of U18 District players on our 20/20 basketball version potentialy as a trial pregame entertainment.)

Reply #263359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754