Isaac
Years ago

Houston looking to trade for Bosh?

What we did hear, though, is that the Houston Rockets have made it known that they would be willing to trade for Bosh immediately ... even if they don't get a guarantee they can re-sign him this summer.

That's the problem with any sort of Bosh deal at midseason. Even if the Raps do decide they want to make Bosh available now and avoid the threat of losing him without compensation in free agency after July 1, there's an overwhelming majority of teams that wouldn't dare consider trading for Bosh in February without some sort of assurance they could keep him.

But Houston is different.

Sources say the ever-aggressive Rockets are sure a half-season in Houston could convince the native Texan to pledge his long-term future to a city players love as well as a team that sits four games over .500 without the injured Yao Ming and the exiled Tracy McGrady.
Full article here

What would they have to trade to get him, and can they afford the risk?

Topic #22041 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Houston has a few positives to go for it in being able to retain Bosch long-term. They have Yao Ming returning next season, and the thought of a frontline containing Ming, Bosch and Scola could be a tantalising lure for Bosch in one could expect to be a successful team. Also, players like living in Houston.

It remains a gamble, but one in which Houston appears willing to take.

The Rockets would have to give up at least one of their current starter's. Aaron Brooks is a fan favourite and would be unlikely to be traded, and there is no way they would entertain the thought of trading Yao Ming. That leaves players such as Louis Scola, Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier, Chuck Hayes, Carl Landry, Kyle Lowry, Chase Budinger, and David Andersen potentially as trade bait.

IMO, Chuck Hayes does not have much value in any potential trade. Kyle Lowry does not have much mopre value either. I would think the Rockets would be unwilling to trade Scola and Landry who has had a break-out season to date. Chase Budinger would be off-limits as well as he appears to be a real find. Trevor Ariza is an interesting one to consider...

I really think David Andersen will be part of any potential trade. His value would have increased as he has now proven he can compete at this level. Withn Ming's return, Chuck Hayes ahead of him in the rotation and with Bosch coming in, Andersen moving to Toronto makes sense. I would think one of Landry, Budinger or even Scola would have to be a part of this deal to make it happen though.

Reply #263831 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

To be honest, if I were the Raptors, the first name I'd be asking for is Scola. They will need him to slot into the PF position vacated by Bosh.

I'd also be asking for Battier and/or Landry and a first round pick. Raptors can wait until the trade deadline to see what other offers are out there, plus they could ask Bosh to do a sign and trade if he decides to leave during the FA period.

I don't think the Raps are interesting in Brooks or Lowry as they aren't an upgrade of Calderon and Jack. I don't think Budinger has much value in Toronto. I think they'd prefer to run with Derozan.

Ariza just signed a long term MLE deal, and the Raps have Hedo plugged into the SF position. Houston don't have a top notch SG to use as trade bait. Hayes is comedy and is only a filler. David Andersen is Andrea Bargnani super-lite, another jump shooting big man. The Raps need to get tougher, not softer.

Reply #263837 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I watched a video on nba.com about this, the analysts were commenting that Houston have a fair few trade options. David Andersen wasn't specifically named but you'd have to think he'd be considered, Houston are apparently very pleased with the way Hayes has been playing (despite being 6-6) so it looks like they would consider him a backup centre when Yao is healthy.

Although, if you assume Yao/Hayes at the 5, I'm thinking they'd be after a frontline of Bosh and Scola plus either Battier or Andersen. Battier would be worth more in a trade I'd think so it's possible Andersen may stay.

Reply #263839 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

This would be a great deal for Houston, but Toronto needs to get enough back in the trade so their fans don't revolt.

Bosh is making $15.7m, so the only one for one trade that can be done is for Yao ($16.3m). Given Yao's injury problems, if I'm Houston I would happily make the trade, but would Toronto? Since trading Bosh basically says "we're starting again", bringing in Yao would be a bad fit.

Another option would be for Toronto to dump salary by renting McGrady for half a season then letting him walk. Obviously there is bad history there, but MAYBE they do it if they also get to move Calderon's horrible contract? (Toronto would need another $8m on top of Bosh to balance any trade including McGrady).
Would still be hard to sell this to the Toronto fan-base though!

Beyond those two options, you start looking at four for one deals. That means a package like Ariza (5.8m), Scola ($3.3m), Cook ($3.5m) and Andersen ($2.3m). Toronto MIGHT feel good enough about Ariza and Scola to take that deal. They'd have to pay out a few players to clear roster space though.

New lineup would be something like:

C Bargnani Andersen
F Scola Johnson
F Ariza Turkoglu
G DeRozan
G Jack Calderon

Not a great lineup - but Toronto would be wanting to lose big anyway so they can get a high draft pick for a top rebounding PF or C.

In the end though, I reckon Toronto would be hoping to get more in exchange for Bosh than that. There must be a better deal out there somewhere!

Reply #263840 | Report this post

Andjawai  
Years ago

Timberwolves looking to trade Jefferson as well paving the way ofore development in the part of Jawai.

Reply #263843 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

T'Wolves offered Big Al to Indiana for Granger. Indiana knocked it back.

Reply #263845 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR, didn't see that! Know why the Wolves are considering doing that? I'm guessing Big Al doesn't fit the high octane offence Rambis wants to run and they feel he doesn't fit with Love?

Reply #263848 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bean,

Some how I screwed up the link....

http://linky.com.au/y7jlf

I'm struggling to understand why Indiana knocked it back. Granger is a rising star, but at his best, Al is a 20-10 monster, and arguable the best low post offensive playing in the league. I could really see Al working in well with Foster and Murphy in Indiana.

Al is working back into some fitness and competing with Love and he's still averaging 17ppg and 9 rpg in an offence that doesn't really suit him.

To make the deal work, Indiana would of had to include an extra player.

Reply #263852 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

The Bulls are also apparently interested in trading for Dwight Howard. Unfortunately we dont have the pieces to get the deal done but doesnt mean we arent interested!

Reply #263855 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

New York Post is reporting that the Lakers could be offering Bynum in a trade for Bosh.....

If I'm the Raptors, I take the trade.. A fit Bynum isn't far from Bosh and it gives them their centre. Push Bargnani to the PF position. Bynum also has a reasonable contract.

Reply #263857 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I guess Indiana is just really high on Granger and to be fair there is a lot of positive talk about him round the league.

You'd have to think Big Al would be a better fit alongside Hibbert in Indiana though. They would have great size in the frontcourt and Big Al could concentrate on being the offensive focal point while Hibbert does more of the dirty work. Indy's slower style would fit Al better too.

If Kahn is really committed to an up tempo team, I can understand why he'd move Al for Granger though. Granger's game is perfect for him to build around. As much as I love Big Al's post moves, I also think there is a question mark about whether Al is truly a franchise cornerstone. He needs to be better defensively and to be a better passer out of the post (though he is improving there).

Ideally, Al would be your second best player on a team looking to win it all. I've always liked the Wolves, but I wouldn't be too upset to see Al on Indiana either.

It won't happen, but pairing Al with Okafor would be pretty effective. Down the track though, my very favourite destination for Al would be back in Boston alongside Perk!

Reply #263859 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bosh for Bynum? OMG! The fix would so be in after that trade!

I agree that Toronto would do okay in that situation, assuming Bynum becomes all he can be.

But Bosh, Gasol and Odom as a big man rotation for the Lakers?!?! Somebody shoot me now!!!

Reply #263860 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ROTFLMAO!

Reply #263869 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"A fit Bynum isn't far from Bosh"

Whatever you're smoking, you should package it and sell it. You'll make millions.

Reply #263883 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I'm surprised Indiana knocked back an Al Jef for Granger trade. Al has one of the most unique skill sets in the league and imo hasn't reached his potential. People forget just how good he is because he plays in a small market team and hasn't been involved in any team success. Surround him with some quality veterans that wants/has the ability to make the playoffs and not the lottery and I reckon he'd thrive.

With regards to Bosh, I reckon he's as good as gone, get some value on him before he hits free agency. If you can Bynum (although I think he is horribly over rated) I guess you go for it.

How about something based on Al for Bosh! Al/Bargnani gives nightmare match ups for other teams even if they'd give up 120 per night, while Bosh/Love.. erm... I don't know how that would but it'd be interesting.

Reply #263896 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think Bosh is over shitty winters, and smaller markets an he's done his time in Siberia, hence why he's looking at Texas and Miami.

Reply #263937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754