Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign Kevin Braswell to replace JR

The NZ Breakers have brought in a late signing in import Kevin Braswell to replace veteran John Rillie.

Braswell, a 6'2" combo guard, has been playing in Israel and arrives just in time for the Breakers final seven regular season games. Players need to suit in seven games to qualify for potential post-season action.

The signing could be seen as a bit of a gamble. While SG/SF Tom Abercrombie is injured and SF/PF Oscar Forman is seemingly down on confidence and out of form, coach Andrej Lemanis has brought in strength in the backcourt to spell PG CJ Bruton.

Seems that the plan might involve punchier spells for Bruton and some time with Bruton at SG and Kirk Penney at SF. Many would have expected a signing at the SF/PF position.

New Zealand host Melbourne on Thursday.

NBL's analysis of the signing

Lemanis plans to run Penney in the three spot for at least part of the time to get around this issue, but it is most definitely a brave move to shift your best player and the reigning league MVP to a different position mid-season. If it comes off, it will be called "inspired". If not...

What do you think? Could the gamble pay off or have they picked the wrong type of player?

The NBL article mentions a rumour that the Melbourne Tigers are considering a late import signing of their own.

Topic #22065 | Report this topic

Suga  
Years ago

http://www.gaze.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=287&catid=44&Itemid=126

Reply #264022 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

imo that spells the end for nz.

can't lemanis figure out another way to score?

surely hanare can give cj a big enough break at the point,the guys 34yo not 44yo and it is only a 40min game.

they look glaringly weak in the 3,4,spot.

i know penney is a multi - skilled player but....shite!

Reply #264023 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Kevin Braswell,
2007-2008 Turkey, Selcuk Uni 21.14ppg(4th TBL),4.2r,6.14apg(2nd TBL)
2009, Israel, Barak Netanya, Averaged 14.2min,2.1ppg and 2.5apg.
He must have been released just before Christmas.
What in the world happened to his game last year?
If the 2007-8 Kevin Braswell shows up we have a stud.
Hell if the 2009 model shows up????
Penney at SF allows more offensive opportunities for CJ but we give up defense and rebounding.
Only allows Ronaldson (playing poorly but seems favoured son) or Rickert to play 5, because Boucher is playing 4.
Penney's weakness is ballhandling esp down stretch so having scoring ball handler might pay off.
Smacks of desperation and arrogance that import was not required earlier after Storey debacle.
Hold our breath I suppose!

Reply #264024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it's arrogance, they just felt that they weren't far off the pace and have said as much all season. The losses have been close ones.

I guess with Braswell, they leave out JR (fair bit of overlap with existing players) and add something new. Might not what be what we expected, but shouldn't be a step backwards.

We'll see how it goes on Thursday.

Reply #264025 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

This does make Adelaide and NZ attempt to displace the Hawks.

Go for it, but this is a loop hole that should change, the NBL needs to amke it 50% of games played to qualify for finals

Reply #264030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insecure Andre

Reply #264044 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Go for it, but this is a loop hole that should change, the NBL needs to amke it 50% of games played to qualify for finals"

Disagree. If Gilchrist went down after 15 games and we couldn't get a replacement I'd be pissed.

Funny signing! I don't think Penney will have too much trouble at the three, they've already been running with Henare/CJ/Penney regularly, but I definitely think a PF/SF would be more useful, especially if they are to continue giving Ruckert bench minutes. It's better than nothing though - not good news from a 36ers viewpoint.

Reply #264059 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Isaac it's arrogance.
True we have only lost narrowly in most games. We should be in every game. We have as much if not more talent than anll other teams.
The reason Andrei has offered for not going after another import after Storey was that he did not want to affect team chemistry.
Now it is to hell with chemistry we need wins.
Those losses were all marked by turnovers and poor shot selection down the stretch so if Braswell can influence that situation then all well and good.
Going small though leaves us vulnerable on the glass?

Also Andrei has been shortsighted in targeting 14 wins as the goal for the Breakers. Chances are if we get to 14 we will be tied with Hawks who hold a 3-0 head to head advantage.
This game tommorrow night is huge, a leg up for Tigers, for Breakers another life.

Reply #264064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bill, I still don't think that that's arrogance. Confident that they think they should have what it takes, and have the best side on paper (underachievers of the season), and the results have shown that they're around the mark, but they haven't been getting blown out.

But now they have to roll the dice and hope it pays off. For many clubs, crowds rise when the team is winning and the Kiwis are notorious with their bandwagons. If they slip back to a disastrous finish, it could wipe off a lot of support next season.

Reply #264069 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I would have personally thought a PF would have been the pick since Foremans form hasn't been where it should be and as pointed out earlier we are short on rebounders. But if as a result of having a solid ball handler who can score we get more out of CJ on offense I'm all for it as down the stretch we need him to be hitting those big shots to get over the line in those close games. Penney will always get his and at SF it gives us serious options on both wings with Braswell at the point.
Fingers crossed it pans out as planned lol

Reply #264077 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

If this guy can play that will be enough to spark the Breakers. They will make the playoffs and most likely win the title.
There are no big teams in the NBL this year so playing Penny at the 3 is no real problem.

Reply #264081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately I was one of those sucked in by the Breakers pre-season hype. They're done, no playoffs this season.

Reply #264226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

John Rillie, is that you?

Reply #264231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard a rumour that the Wildcats are querying the Breakers' ability to replace Rillie with Braswell.

Reply #264477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I THINK ANONYMOUS WAS ADAM TANNER!!

Reply #264726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754